Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

There's still time for some battletech to happen but that's mostly rolled up, the perfect moment to get your engine cored out by an SRM-6.

Also: update on previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer

I'm thinking I'll go to 1811. Max move mod, lasers to critseek the opened up parts of the Scorpion while inside its PPC minimum range, and I can split off one PPC at the Stinger in the process while staying heat neutral. Not to mention it gets in the Scorpion's way and will force it to lose movemod next turn turning or sidescrabbling.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 6, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack

Hemming in the Scorpion seems like a good idea.

Scintilla, if I move to 1512, does the smoke in 1511 get in the way of my LOS to the Scorpion?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

anakha posted:

Scintilla, if I move to 1512, does the smoke in 1511 get in the way of my LOS to the Scorpion?

It's light smoke, so it will impose a +1 hit penalty but not block LOS.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Scintilla posted:

It's light smoke, so it will impose a +1 hit penalty but not block LOS.

Gotcha. Gonna just walk to 1612 then. Safely within the PPC minimum range and still out of the Stinger's short range.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

of the surviving enemy pilots, my hopes are:
thabo gets to become a recurring villain
nathan gets recruited but is denied any flame weapons
william gets treatment for all the minor concussions caused by piloting a scorpion
harathi gets therapy

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Trebuchet

If I walk to 1617 I have a +7 to hit the Scorpion with my LRMs and I won't overheat. On the other hand, I can run to 1816 and get a +8 to hit and be in forest cover, but I will overheat on the following turn

Alternatively, I could run in for some CQC and build evasion that way, but the best I can do for now would be running to 1613. I could get to 1612 but the Blackjack would be in the way.

Personally, I think that I'll just walk to 1617. I've checked the numbers and a PPC shot could deal a lot of damage, but it is statistically improbable that it will kill me. Plus I figure the Scorpion will want to fire its SRMs instead. Meanwhile, I can fish for more missile hits

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

Trebuchet

If I walk to 1617 I have a +7 to hit the Scorpion with my LRMs and I won't overheat. On the other hand, I can run to 1816 and get a +8 to hit and be in forest cover, but I will overheat on the following turn

Alternatively, I could run in for some CQC and build evasion that way, but the best I can do for now would be running to 1613. I could get to 1612 but the Blackjack would be in the way.

Personally, I think that I'll just walk to 1617. I've checked the numbers and a PPC shot could deal a lot of damage, but it is statistically improbable that it will kill me. Plus I figure the Scorpion will want to fire its SRMs instead. Meanwhile, I can fish for more missile hits

Another option might be to take 1816 but only fire 1 LRM. 0 heat next turn gives you max flexibility, the Scorpion needs 9s to hit you with the PPC, and you can still critseek since you typically go third in the shooting order and holes might have been opened up for you. If the Scorpion moves within your minimum LRM range next turn, it potentially exposes its back to at least one of us, and if it moves parallel to your position, you can just hunker down in that spot and bombard it.

Minimizing the risk of damage to ourselves is another priority right now since replacing limbs/weapons is gonna cost money and/or leave Mechs unavailable for future missions.

anakha fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 6, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I could run up to within 3 hexes of the scorpion again but I think I'd rather keep playing conservatively to avoid losing limbs at this point. Not really worried about victory but I gotta leave a mech in decent condition for the next contract.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

biosterous posted:

of the surviving enemy pilots, my hopes are:
thabo gets to become a recurring villain
nathan gets recruited but is denied any flame weapons
william gets treatment for all the minor concussions caused by piloting a scorpion
harathi gets therapy

My current plans are to come up with a shortlist of pilots and give the thread a chance to recruit a maximum of two, including an option to recruit none at all. I eventually want to give goons the chance to design and submit their own pilots, and filling up the roster with former Prowlers will make that more difficult. I'm also drawing up new contracts for the thread to vote on. One of the nice things about Battletech is that lots of planets have very little historical description, so I can make up some conflict or other and not have to worry about it conflicting with canon events. This is especially true for the periphery, which is good since that's probably where the company is going to spend most of its formative years.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

anakha posted:

Minimizing the risk of damage to ourselves is another priority right now since replacing limbs/weapons is gonna cost money and/or leave Mechs unavailable for future missions.

Fair enough, I think that I'll probably do as you suggest. Get to the woods and fire a single LRM salvo. Next turn either it'll be in range for LRM fire, or I can close the distance and use the lasers

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Moving to 2207 and taking bad potshots at the scorpion for this turn. If it tries to get back in to the forest I'll be ready to punish it, otherwise I'm just playing it safe so I don't get any parts of my Mech blown off here at the end.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Well, it looks like this mission is ending with a bang.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Scintilla posted:

I assume this was every mech that said they were playing it safe this turn

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SIGSEGV posted:

There's still time for some battletech to happen but that's mostly rolled up, the perfect moment to get your engine cored out by an SRM-6.

Also: update on previous page.

:allears:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

just going purely by "how many active units mechs have ammo at all", there's a 50/50 chance whether the ammo explosion is happening to the players or opfor :allears:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Scintilla posted:

As someone who currently has 90 damage worth of ammo (or just 75 if my attack goes through first) in my mech. This terrifies me. But I'm thinking it might not be me, on account of the fact that I might die if my ammo blew up

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Scintilla posted:

I'm so excited

glwgameplayer posted:

As someone who currently has 90 damage worth of ammo (or just 75 if my attack goes through first) in my mech. This terrifies me. But I'm thinking it might not be me, on account of the fact that I might die if my ammo blew up

It isn't me, because if it is me I die is a very worrying line of thinking :ohdear:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Does machine gun ammo also explode? Is ammo "ammo" for the purposes of the rules? Because you'd think that missiles would be more likely to explode than bullets.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MG's are notorious for being more dangerous to the user for that very reason afaik

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

painedforever posted:

Does machine gun ammo also explode? Is ammo "ammo" for the purposes of the rules? Because you'd think that missiles would be more likely to explode than bullets.

Machine gun ammo is by far the deadliest thing in the game, to the point where it can be a good idea to just dump out all your machine gun ammo rather than risk getting blown up

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe

painedforever posted:

YES. It's actually one of the most hilarious things about Battletech. Machine Gun Ammo is technically one of the most lethal things to carry in terms of ammo explosions. A full ton can cause 400 points of damage (200 shots total, 2 points per 'hit') which is more than I think any other ammo explosion in the game.

There is a reason why machine gun ammo is the only ammo type (I believe) to be allowed to take a half ton rather than a full ton.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I was gonna add my own thing here but, yeah basically what everyone else said. Machine Gun ammo is by far the most volatile ammo in the game simply because you cannot fire a machine gun enough times to make it not basically a one hit kill.

I started the battle with 240 missiles, which would be a little more than half as devastating as a single ton of machine gun ammo going off. But since I can fire 15-30 missiles a turn, I whittled that down. Every missile I fire reduces the damage of an ammo explosion by 15-30. Machine guns only ever fire off 1 “round” per turn, and there are 200 of them in a full ammo bin

It can be strategically advantageous to spend ammo just so you have less ammo to cook off or detonate. I think in some rulesets you can even just dump it

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You can dump ammo (and dumping mg ammo is a good idea to be sure) but it turns in to a spicy surprise if someone hits your rear torso on the same turn you're ejecting it.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Preston’s Last Stand: Turn 16

“Whoa! Hope no one wanted the Scorpion!” Archibald exclaimed as the four-legged mech blew itself apart. At least one of his lasers had penetrated the mech’s left torso, and the heat must have touched off its SRM ammunition. A chain of fireballs ripped through the Scorpion’s front half, sending its front left leg spiralling through the air like a giant metal boomerang. The burning wreck promptly caved in on itself, secondary explosions ripping through what was left of its skeleton as the mech’s remaining missiles cooked off.

“Why would anyone want a Scorpion?” Louis asked bemusedly. “That’s like wanting to have your spine bent into a pretzel.”

“You’d be surprised,” Roger chimed in. “I remember hearing about someone who piloted one of those things willingly back in the Guards. What was his name again? Wiesel? Winters? Eh, it was something beginning with ‘W’. Anyway, I’m reading one more active contact. Let’s deal with it so we can call it a day.”

Archibald radioed an affirmative and advanced towards the last sensor reading. The rest of Sterling Lance quickly joined him, marching in formation towards the billowing clouds of smoke that blanketed the northern half of the plain. Abruptly, the winds changed, and Archibald caught sight of the final enemy battlemech – the Stinger he thought he had downed at the very beginning of the engagement. Its left leg was so badly melted and mangled that Archibald was shocked it could even stand, let alone make it all the way down to engage them.

“Now, now…” Archibald heard Roger murmur as the little mech raised its right arm threateningly. “Don’t be a fool.”

The Stinger’s pilot seemed to hesitate. After a few seconds the mech lowered its arm. A loud crack echoed across the plains as the pilot ejected, shaped charges blowing the mech’s cockpit open and propelling the mechwarrior skywards. Unlike Preston, the man’s parachute opened successfully, fluttering like a dull grey banner as he descended back to earth.

“Good choice.” Roger said. He turned his Warhammer back towards the Prowlers’ DropShip. “Attention, pirate DropShip!” he boomed, broadcasting over an open channel. “This is Hauptmann Roger Sterling of the Sterling and Sable mercenary company. Your forces are depleted, and your captain is dead. You no longer have even the slightest chance of victory. If you do not power down your systems and offer a full and unconditional surrender within the next thirty seconds we will open fire on your position.”

“This is Acting Captain Vidkun Withers of the Union-class DropShip Eagle Standard,” a dry voice replied almost immediately. “Our weapons systems have been disabled, and we are prepared to cooperate fully with your demands. I ask only that you spare my crew’s lives, and ensure that they are treated as prisoners of war.”

“This man’s neck must be made of the finest brass in the Inner Sphere,” Roger muttered. Then in a louder voice he said, “You have nothing to fear from us. On my personal honour, I shall guarantee your safety until you are handed back to the Free Worlds League. After that, you will have to hope that Janos Marik is in an unusually merciful mood.”

“I understand.” There was a brief pause, and Archibald heard the soft tapping of fingers on a control panel. “I am opening the mechbay doors now. The crew will be exiting shortly, so please do not mistake this for an attack. We have already disarmed ourselves. I look forward to meeting you in person, Hauptmann Sterling.”

“Excellent.” Roger switched back to a private channel. “Congratulations, everyone. You all did fine work today. I’ll radio HQ and ask for a clean-up crew and security detail to take care of the prisoners and haul back all the wonderful salvage we’ve collected. Once they arrive, we can all go back home for the victory party. I have a couple of bottles of Glengarry Reserve I’ve been holding onto, and I think we’ve more than earned them.”

Weapons fire for Warhammer WHM-6D (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 9: Hits Front Right Leg! Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Front Right Leg, 0/10 Armour, 11/13 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Front Right Leg! No critical hits sustained.
-Fires Medium Laser at Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires Small Laser at Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires Small Laser at Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires PPC at Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 9: Hits Left Torso! Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers) takes 8 damage to Left Torso, 1/13 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Left Torso! No critical hits sustained.
-Fires Medium Laser at Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits Left Torso! Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Left Torso, 0/13 Structure remaining. Left Torso Destroyed! Front Left Leg Blown Off! Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Left Torso! One Critical Hit sustained. Critical Hit on SRM-6 Ammo! SRM-6 Ammo explodes, dealing 132 damage! Pilot Hit x2!
---Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers) takes 132 damage to Centre Torso, 0/18 Structure remaining. Centre Torso Destroyed! Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Centre Torso! Three Critical Hits sustained. Critical Hit on Engine! Critical Hit on Engine! Critical Hit on Gyro!
---Mech destroyed by ammunition explosion!
-Fires Medium Laser at Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 8: Hits Front Right Leg! Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Front Right Leg, 6/13 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Front Right Leg! No critical hits sustained.

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4G (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 10: Hits Front Right Leg! Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Front Right Leg, 1/13 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Front Right Leg! One Critical Hit sustained. Critical Hit on Upper Leg!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player):
-Fires LRM-15 at Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 5: Misses!

--

Weapons fire for Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers):
-Fires PPC at Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player); needs 8, rolls 9: Hits Left Leg! Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player) takes 10 damage to Left Leg, 4/14 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM-6 at Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player); needs 6, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player); needs 9, rolls 9: Hits Right Leg! Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player) takes 5 damage to Right Leg, 9/14 Armour remaining.

No melee attacks this turn!

Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player) gains 15 heat, sinks 17 heat and is now at 2 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4G (Player) gains 8 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player) gains 7 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Warhammer WHM-6D (Player) gains 20 heat, sinks 20 heat and is now at 2 heat.

--

Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers) gains 4 heat, sinks 4 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Harathi Vraman (Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers)) is all alone with no hope of victory. Harathi Vraman ejects!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants a bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Multi-Tasker: When splitting fire between multiple targets, secondary targeting penalties are reduced by 1.
-Hopping Jack: Pilot suffers a +2 penalty when firing after jumping instead of +3.

Primary Objectives:
-Defeat Josiah Preston (1/1) Complete!
-Neutralise remaining Prowler forces (9/9) Complete!

Secondary Objectives:
-Secure the crash site without damaging the Eagle Standard (250,000 C-Bill Reward) Complete!

I told you guys this mission would end with a bang. Thankfully the only thing that went up in smoke was the Scorpion. Congratulations to the players, you worked well together and finished the mission with almost no structure damage and no damaged components. I was worried that the DropShip might tip the scales too far in my favour, but I think I got it just about right. It was a powerful asset, but not an almighty one, and there were enough drawbacks and blind spots for the players to hide in that it could be circumvented with clever play.

Anyhow, time to write the after-action report. There’s a lot of potential salvage this time around, so there’s that to look forward to. Until then, feel free to vote on this mission’s MVPs for both the players and the Prowlers.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack

Woop, got the final kill for this mission! Hell yeah. And the whole lance walked away with no lost limbs or weapons - even better!

Pleasure having worked with you, Goonlance. Looking forward to my next go-around.

---

For OpFor MVP, is the Dropship a valid candidate, Scintilla? If so, that gets my vote as it easily dealt the most damage out of the entire OpFor and got the Hammer to take a tumble. If those TACs on the Hunchie had hit, then we might have been down a Mech early too.

I thought about voting for the Trebuchet or the Scorpion, but the former got disarmed (heh) early and the latter was mainly just an annoyance to put down but ultimately didn't have enough damage per range bracket to be a major threat.

For Goonlance MVP? I already placed my vote for the Hunchback last week:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

What a way to end it. Glad Harathi survived, even if S&S doesn't pick him up. Really pulling for the guy.

Voting the Hunchback as MVP not just for the judo but also for the triple TAC kill on the Treb; it might have been defanged by then, but it certainly put a stop to it being a further nuisance in style.

Speaking of that Treb, voting enemy Trebuchet MVP for the very scary inferno play it made early on. It didn't work out, but I think things could have played out very differently.

Nicely done to all the players, and a wonderful read as always Scintilla.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Hunchback doing Hunchback things, Trebuchet for doing an excellent Kintaro impression.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Also voting HBK for MVP, pretty sure it also would take most DMG dealt easily. As for OPFOR MVP, going to give it to the TBT, as those infernos were certainly a surprise and really changed the players plans.

Sterling Lance performed amazingly, great job everyone!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

Also voting HBK for MVP, pretty sure it also would take most DMG dealt easily. As for OPFOR MVP, going to give it to the TBT, as those infernos were certainly a surprise and really changed the players plans.

Sterling Lance performed amazingly, great job everyone!

This all around! Good job, everyone!

Also I just noticed this:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Voting for the Enemy Trebuchet for mvp on the prowler side, although the dropship is a good runner up. As a biased player I have to pass on that part of the vote :)

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

When you're a pirate and you use inferno ammo you had better try your hardest to be the MVP every match because loss is not going to be very rewarding.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

also voting for the player Hunchback and enemy Trebuchet, both for being pretty dang scary

i also vote to give Harathi a voucher for a week at a nice vacation spa place or something, Harathi needs a break! i forget where we are on the map, guessing canopus is probably too far, but i'm sure there's some place closer

e: we are on castor, neat

biosterous fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 9, 2023

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

anakha posted:

For OpFor MVP, is the Dropship a valid candidate, Scintilla? If so, that gets my vote as it easily dealt the most damage out of the entire OpFor and got the Hammer to take a tumble. If those TACs on the Hunchie had hit, then we might have been down a Mech early too.

Sure, if you feel it deserves it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The fuel depot is the real mvp

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hunchback

Trebuchet

Good work, Lance

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Trebuchet

For MVP I vote the Hunchback for our lance on account of the judo throw, the through armor crits, and just generally dealing a metric fuckton of damage. Dropship for the enemy since it made the Warhammer take a tumble and forced us to regularly take cover.

Also let’s just take a step back and quantity that we defeated 5 battlemechs, 5 vehicles, and a Dropship, and our only long term injuries are my pilot hit (I don’t know how healing works in Tabletop world, but in the computer game a single plot hit puts you out of commission for anywhere between a little more than a week, and nearly a month) and 1 point of structure damage on the Hunchback.

With the exception of the pilot hit and the engine crit earlier this has been about as bloodless as it is possible for a series of missions to be. On our side at least

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

biosterous posted:

e: we are on castor, neat

This map is closer to the time we're at, that map you found is from the far future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
That was so hilarious. And an appropriate end to a Scorpion. Good squash-y-ing.

I'd vote for the Blackjack for decent support and bringing the battle to such a satisfying conclusion.