Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I listened to We Are the Daleks and that is one seriously overstuffed story. It felt like every episode was a completely different plot.

Also, there's something dark about a story about encroaching fascism where one character says, "Make Great Britain Great again," being released almost simultaneously with Trump going down that escalator...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Yep, using the Daleks as social commentary on yuppies, privatization and the social divide in Thatcher's Britain is a fine idea, but the story can't seem to make up its mind on how to do it. Then it switches to the 'the video game is actually controlling ships to help the daleks!!!' plot feels a little tacked on and juvenile in comparison. Then it ties in with the 12th Doctor Skaro episodes for some reason.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Random Stranger posted:

I listened to We Are the Daleks and that is one seriously overstuffed story. It felt like every episode was a completely different plot.

Also, there's something dark about a story about encroaching fascism where one character says, "Make Great Britain Great again," being released almost simultaneously with Trump going down that escalator...

The fascists were already using it long before. It’s a dogwhistle for returning to a supposed golden age when everything was fine that never actually existed. ie, before all these uppity minorities started being loud and demanding rights.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

The fascists were already using it long before. It’s a dogwhistle for returning to a supposed golden age when everything was fine that never actually existed. ie, before all these uppity minorities started being loud and demanding rights.

I'm well aware. And there's even a "good" character in the story who spouts some pro-Brexit style rhetoric about being ruled from Brussels. It's just that the story being released with that close of timing was a bit of a coincidence.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

A Seventh Doctor story that deals with far right politics much better is Fearmonger. For an early story in the range, they recapture the characters like they've never been away, and go some darker places the show couldn't, without feeling gratuitous or try hard edgy.

Oh, and Live 34 too, but that's more about authoritarianism in general.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The recent Torchwood finale is the most loving wild post-truth thing I've seen in ages. It seems like it's going in that dumb direction where the heroes broadcast the truth about the current crisis, spurning the country into taking action and fixing itself. Instead, it takes an aggressive right turn and the heroes end up weaponising reactionary conspiracy theorists and 5G paranoia to destroy British telecommunications and, ultimately, the Internet.

The entire season's been amazing, at times a fairly brutal satire of Britain's descent into fascism -- with running jokes like an app that allows uses to "Heil a taxi" or this gameshow where finance bros get to vote asylum seekers "off the island". But it's genuinely really funny and smart, quite modern and subversive and lefitst, and I loving *love* that John Barrowman's big episode (the Ukraine conflict one) was handed over to a genderfluid lead instead. The episode about what the abandoned Torchwood building gets up to when no one else is around is also really chilling and weird. Highly recommended.

Random Stranger posted:

I'm well aware. And there's even a "good" character in the story who spouts some pro-Brexit style rhetoric about being ruled from Brussels.

Yeah, it's a Jonny Morris script.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Open Source Idiom posted:

The recent Torchwood finale is the most loving wild post-truth thing I've seen in ages. It seems like it's going in that dumb direction where the heroes broadcast the truth about the current crisis, spurning the country into taking action and fixing itself. Instead, it takes an aggressive right turn and the heroes end up weaponising reactionary conspiracy theorists and 5G paranoia to destroy British telecommunications and, ultimately, the Internet.

The entire season's been amazing, at times a fairly brutal satire of Britain's descent into fascism -- with running jokes like an app that allows uses to "Heil a taxi" or this gameshow where finance bros get to vote asylum seekers "off the island". But it's genuinely really funny and smart, quite modern and subversive and lefitst, and I loving *love* that John Barrowman's big episode (the Ukraine conflict one) was handed over to a genderfluid lead instead. The episode about what the abandoned Torchwood building gets up to when no one else is around is also really chilling and weird. Highly recommended.

Alright you've convinced me, I'm going to check these out. I haven't listened to a new Big Finish in like 8 years but gently caress it, these sound at least interesting.

Looking through the various releases there's a special release called Torchwood: The Sins of Captain John. Any opinions on this one? I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to give John Barrowman residuals but I do like James Marsters.

I remember I asked you about these audios a while back and looking for the post I saw that I had never replied to it, but I did appreciate it and here it is again for posterity.

I've seen one or two around the Internet and I don't love them. Here's my low down, at least:

You've got a handful of ranges, but there's really only two kinds of releases:

1. The "Story Continues" sets, which are basically follow up seasons for the TV show. Though the stories themselves are self-contained, each season is heavily serialised, with the stories focused around a core group of mostly new regular characters. They're great, I love them, they're all interesting figures that the series manages to do a lot of work with. The stories themselves focus on contemporary issues and do a decent enough job of handling them, but the series also manages to have a decent amount of fun.

Not that there's a slightly controversial element to these, in that people were expecting slightly more significant appearances by the regulars (as were the writers, Eve Myles stepped away from recording the first season of these at the last minute, leading to significant restructuring of her arc when it turned out that she could only record for less than a day).

2. The monthly range. These stories are standalones that jump all over the timeline and usually feature only one regular. Many feature no regulars, and focus instead of aspects of the organisation as it existed in the past, or in the form that it eventually evolves into in the future. There are loose -- very loose -- arcs that occasionally crop up in these stories, but every story is completely inessential to understanding any other story and they can each be enjoyed as their own thing.

The tone of these vary wildly. There are action stories, spy thrillers, ironic camp, chamber pieces, horror stories, romances...

There are also occasional boxsets that crop up here and there, which give slightly more focus to one or two of the teams, or tell stories about Captain Jack. These are also mostly self-contained.

Basically just pick and choose what you feel like. They're mostly all pretty good, and if anyone tells you that the one where Gwen gets drunk and goes on a bender is a bad story then they're wrong. It's Speed but with alcohol, and then it's Speed with speed. It's amazing.

There's only ONE story from this range that's weirdly essential: Ghost Mission. It introduces a number of characters and elements that crop up in the main range, and it's the basis of the Torchwood Soho run of stories. It's great though, and Norton's a really fun character played by the guy who played Dirk Gently off that US Dirk Gently show.

Did that, uh, answer your question? Or did I misunderstand what you were looking for?

EDIT: Looking at the website for the most recent releases and came across this, lmao:

quote:

A forgotten social network is out for revenge. Someone's killing influencers. Torchwood get into crypto.

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 8, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rochallor posted:

Looking through the various releases there's a special release called Torchwood: The Sins of Captain John. Any opinions on this one? I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to give John Barrowman residuals but I do like James Marsters.

It's not bad! I remember that it takes Marsters maybe an episode to knock the dust off his performance, but he's having fun and is very enthusiastic (lmao there's this reveal right at the very end of the extras) and while I remember the middle two stories being better than the other two, none of them are bad. The third episode in particular, which sticks the characters in a Pleasantville pastiche, was kind of inspired.

I guess I'd describe the whole thing as sort of their version of Deadpool, if a bit more serious.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rochallor posted:

It's a quite fun set! More light hearted than the usual TORCHWOOD stuffa

Also surprisingly fun: JENNY THE DOCTOR'S DAUGHTER

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

My favourite Nimon factoid is that they're all played by ballerinas.

Male ballet dancers, not ballerinas

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Paper Cuts - Six and "Charley" deal with Draconia politics. There's some fun ideas that just don't work well in the audio format, and there's nothing special here, it just....happens. They don't really do much with Mila stealing Charley's identity, aside from India Fisher playing the character as a bit more giddy and impulsive.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Paper Cuts - Six and "Charley" deal with Draconia politics. There's some fun ideas that just don't work well in the audio format, and there's nothing special here, it just....happens. They don't really do much with Mila stealing Charley's identity, aside from India Fisher playing the character as a bit more giddy and impulsive.

I love this play, though it didn't click with me until the second time through. Sound design is fairly impressive, and I was surprised that they got away with some of the (light) gore and vague incestuous elements. And the way the script ties everything back into this idea of courtly roleplay and signifiers vs the signified is very cool too -- e.g. Mila/Charley, the First Doctor / Sixth Doctor.

I also really like the way the characters (and audience) become slowly aware of the villain, which should be fairly typical stuff but I though what they pulled off here was really good and spooky e.g. the bit where a character looks out a window.

I really really love Marc Platt scripts. They've got great settings, solid characterisation, and they usually reward multiple listens.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha I knew Capaldi's face met the Doctor before he became him, but forgot the little detail that he and his family had been worshipping the Doctor and Donna.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Finally getting around to the Whittaker run and just finished Flux. Is the rest of the universe just gone now or what?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Pops Mgee posted:

Finally getting around to the Whittaker run and just finished Flux. Is the rest of the universe just gone now or what?

:shrug:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Doctor lose a city? Big deal sad times. Lose most of everything? Let's move on okay

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It got better

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Just as two negatives make a positive, the FLOOKS reversed the loss of that whole chunk of the universe in Logopolis

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The advantage of an infinite universe is that you always have more.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't think either our or Who's universe is infinite though? Especially not after so much of it got deleted. They do have multiple universes but people tend to be attached to the one they existed in first

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pops Mgee posted:

Let's ask Chris Chibnall!

Chris Chibnall:

Well, there you have it, folks!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

It's not bad! I remember that it takes Marsters maybe an episode to knock the dust off his performance, but he's having fun and is very enthusiastic (lmao there's this reveal right at the very end of the extras) and while I remember the middle two stories being better than the other two, none of them are bad. The third episode in particular, which sticks the characters in a Pleasantville pastiche, was kind of inspired.

I guess I'd describe the whole thing as sort of their version of Deadpool, if a bit more serious.

Davros1 posted:

It's a quite fun set! More light hearted than the usual TORCHWOOD stuffa

THROW IT ON THE PILE THEN

Davros1 posted:

Also surprisingly fun: JENNY THE DOCTOR'S DAUGHTER

I don't believe you

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I don't think either our or Who's universe is infinite though?

What we observe about the universe isn't incompatible with it being infinite (proving that it is is, obviously, a bit more challenging)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What we observe about the universe isn't incompatible with it being infinite (proving that it is is, obviously, a bit more challenging)

It being infinite doesn't mean there's infinite STUFF in it though.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Fil5000 posted:

This kind of thinking leads one to believe that the amount of intelligent life in the universe is zero, because the size of the universe relative to the amount of life makes intelligent life a rounding error.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Just go to infinity+1 and turn around and look back to check, duh!

God, even 6-year-old me knew that much, and I'm not even good at math!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Just go to infinity+1 and turn around and look back to check, duh!

God, even 6-year-old me knew that much, and I'm not even good at math!

You are Buzz Lightyear and I claim my fifty credits

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

This kind of thinking leads one to believe that the amount of intelligent life in the universe is zero, because the size of the universe relative to the amount of life makes intelligent life a rounding error.

Only if you're prepared to use the one data point we have of star systems where we've checked intelligent life exists and extrapolate that to the approx 200 billion trillion stars in the universe, which is extremely bad science however you slice it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Justifying where there's something here while there's nothing essentially anywhere is very challenging - finite/finite vs infinite/infinite is much easier

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Justifying where there's something here while there's nothing essentially anywhere is very challenging - finite/finite vs infinite/infinite is much easier

But we can justify that there's something here by dint of something being here. How big the space that "here" occupies is absolutely open to speculation until we've measured it.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
You're devoting way more thought to this question than Chris Chibnall ever did. Just accept vibes based storytelling like the people working on the Witcher keep saying.

quote:

Baginski: The audience changes, it’s not like… It all changes. I see the [quickening] of the processes Jacek Dukaj wrote about in his book After the Script. We resign from cause-and-effect chains, from linear narration. This book-like narration. When it comes to shows, the younger the public is, the logic of the plot is less significant.

Interviewer: What is significant, then?

Baginski: Just emotions. Just pure emotions. A bare emotional mix. Those people grew up on TikTok and YouTube, they jump from video to video.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Edward Mass posted:

Population: None.

It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

armpit_enjoyer posted:

You're devoting way more thought to this question than Chris Chibnall ever did. Just accept vibes based storytelling like the people working on the Witcher keep saying.

That was so infuriating to read, poo poo like that should not be rewarded

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I think some shows and plenty of genre shows completely get away with it (including Doctor Who, even outside of Chibs tenure), and sometimes its exhausting to sit and watch a show that is obsessed with creating rules for it to follow, but it makes stakes have pretty much no meaning if you just keep increasing them without having any material value to them (see: Voyager).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
tbh, I just assume most of the universe is dead after Flux.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

It's very funny that so so many BF plays sort of take this idea of being "seen" very literally, when it's really the idea of them being "observed". So you'll have characters holding onto Angels, observing them with security devices, etc. but that doesn't really count because only the naked eye counts. Even Flesh and Stone gets this (maybe?) kind of wrong, with Jorah Mormont being trapped in a headlock. That seems like a stalemate.

Disagree, because as the quote above/below clearly shows

Senor Tron posted:

How the angels were later depicted doesn't really fit with their first appearance, which is weird since Mofat invented them.

The lonely assassins, they used to be called. No one quite knows where they came from, but they’re as old as the universe, or very nearly, and they have survived this long because they have the most perfect defence system ever evolved. They are quantum-locked. They don’t exist when they’re being observed. The moment they are seen by any other living creature, they freeze into rock. No choice. It’s a fact of their biology. In the sight of any living thing, they literally turn to stone. And you can’t kill a stone. Of course, a stone can’t kill you either. But then you turn your head away, then you blink, and oh yes it can… That’s why they cover their eyes. They’re not weeping. They can’t risk looking at each other. Their greatest asset is their greatest curse. They can never be seen. The loneliest creatures in the universe.

The original idea was analogous to quantum mechanics, and in QM whenever you read "observed" what they mean is "shot with a laser"

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

The Angels stopped making sense the moment The Time of Angels aired and I'm never not going to stop being salty about it :colbert:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Honestly would love to see them visit outside our observable universe and remark on it, or else be reminded of it as I continue rewatching. That's one of those "oh gently caress universe big me small" moments for me, knowing there's just a hard limit on what we and any other observer in a region of space are limited to because light is so slow.

I also vaguely recall some people living on a latwr-universe cold iron stars or something, but again would love for them to linger on some of the weird almost abstract poo poo the universe gets up to in an unfathomable amount of time when all matter is so stretched apart poo poo got all weird. Some poo poo to make the Doctor look small and young

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Khanstant posted:

make the Doctor look small and young

this should be the mission statement for the entire franchise going forwards. Instead of having the Doctor be this all-important figure around whom the entire universe revolves we should bring them back to being just a traveller in a box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

alexandriao posted:

Disagree, because as the quote above/below clearly shows

The original idea was analogous to quantum mechanics, and in QM whenever you read "observed" what they mean is "shot with a laser"

You can't kill a stone is odd considering the rock based beings he's killed before. One in Pompeii comes to mind, destroyed via bucket of water. Then a bunch more destroyed via volcano nuke.