Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
That does not apply to joining your phone to company wifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I had my yearly performance review today.

Last year the entire department quit and a new department was hired in. I was hired in a month later as a senior tech. All the junior techs quit a month after that because they were offered better pay and better hours in other companies. I keep the company from burning down solo for 5 months with no handover and documentation that's over a year out of date and spread between four different storage systems, interview new techs, get overruled on my recommendations because they want to hire the least experienced people possible for the lowest pay, spend a month training in the new techs and also continue to keep the company from burning down, get a new boss (foreshadowing), take my first time off longer than 48 hours since I joined, come back, fix the impressive number of things the that broke or were broken and also continue to train in the new techs and also continue to keep the company from burning down, get the new techs up to a level where they can do a meaningful amount of work without coming to me every 30 minutes, begin offloading tasks to them, deal with multiple major incidents as the pigeons come home to roost on a bunch of hackwork from the previous previous team, get the new techs up to a level where they can do a meaningful amount of work without coming to me every two hours, begin offloading more tasks to them, finally have time to start into pro-active support, begin prioritizing the hackwork that needs to be resolved, begin offloading pro-active support tasks onto the new techs, fully root cause the previous major incidents and identify a major process gap in the largest, most critical flow in the company with "call the lawyers" level unreported breaches occurring back to over literal years, report it, resolve the root cause, remediate the breaches, complete a whole bunch of major business requested projects in tandem with all of the above, have yearly review.

"I put you down as "developing" because you're still "developing" into the role of team lead."

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 9, 2023

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You should have quit when everyone underneath you quit. That's a company with toxic management and it deserves to die.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Burn it down and piss on the ashes

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Splicer posted:

I had my yearly performance review today.

Last year the entire department quit and a new department was hired in. I was hired in a month later as a senior tech. All the junior techs quit a month after that because they were offered better pay and better hours in other companies. I keep the company from burning down solo for 5 months with no handover and documentation that's over a year out of date and spread between four different storage systems, interview new techs, get overruled on my recommendations because they want to hire the least experienced people possible for the lowest pay, spend a month training in the new techs also continue to keep the company from burning down, get a new boss (foreshadowing), take my first time off longer than 48 hours since I joined, come back, fix the impressive number of things the that broke or were broken and also continue to train in the new techs and also continue to keep the company from burning down, get the new techs up to a level where they can do a meaningful amount of work without coming to me every 30 minutes, begin offloading tasks to them, deal with multiple major incidents as the pigeons come home to roost on a bunch of hackwork from the previous previous team, get the new techs up to a level where they can do a meaningful amount of work without coming to me every two hours, begin offloading more tasks to them, finally have time to start into pro-active support, begin prioritizing the hackwork that needs to be resolved, begin offloading pro-active support tasks onto the new techs, fully root cause the previous major incidents and identify a major process gap in the largest, most critical flow in the company with "call the lawyers" level unreported breaches occurring back to over literal years, report it, resolve the root cause, remediate the breaches, complete a whole bunch of major business requested projects in tandem with all of the above, have yearly review.

"I put you down as "developing" because you're still "developing" into the role of team lead."

On the other hand everything you wrote is amazing resume fodder and you should use it as such, and then specifically mention this leadership BS on your way out the door.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Don't forget to set the place on fire on the way out.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

McSpanky posted:

From the sounds of it the place'll manage that all by itself.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As ever, when people see the rats fleeing the sinking ship use that as a distraction to get out before anyone else notices you're taking a lifeboat for yourself.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Time to “develop” your resume

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sounds like when my supervisor told me I needed to show more intensity when I asked about going full time after working part time for 4 years. I showed so much intensity I got a different job 2 weeks later because of that bullshit. Congrats fuckhead you need to train another person.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Workplaces never get better, they only ever get worse

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Splicer posted:

The lesson is to bake in critical fail points that only you know about and can periodically maintain. But it sounds like the company built those in for you.

All hands abandon ship.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Take your resume and run.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
One lesson I’ve learned over the years: yeah, I’m replaceable, but so is my job.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Complete_Cynic posted:

From the sounds of it the place'll manage that all by itself.

Sometimes you have to create the sparks on your way out the door. But sometimes you just have to stop putting out all the little fires as they crop up.

No need to put a target on your back or create potential problems later. Just walk away and let the place self immolate. And if the OP somehow managed to do a good enough job standing things up from the previous ashes that it doesn’t fall apart one week after leaving, then the OP should be able to leverage that into landing in a good enough job to not care what happens to the previous place.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If I walked out the door now without updating the massive backlog of documentation-I've-found-that-isn't-true I think the place would burn down in a month, and it's taken me a year to pull that up from a week.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Splicer posted:

If I walked out the door now without updating the massive backlog of documentation-I've-found-that-isn't-true I think the place would burn down in a month, and it's taken me a year to pull that up from a week.

And it's not your job to care about that. They decided to have a single load-bearing employee, and then they decided to treat her/him like crap.

*Insert consequences of my own actions TikTok*

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Splicer posted:

pull it back down to a week and take 2 weeks off

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

~Coxy posted:

That does not apply to joining your phone to company wifi.

It's been said, but to be clear:

1: if you join your device to a secured company wifi network but don't do anything else special, then they probably can sniff your stuff if they make an effort, but probably can't mess with VPN traffic. This is the 'good' option.

2: if you join your device to an unsecured company wifi network but don't do anything else special, you're not going to have a good time. Don't join unsecured networks.

3: if the process of joining your device to the network involves "letting IT set up your device" in some special way, assume that your device has been pwned.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have successfully countered someone's request for verifying that I have completed a process by requesting they provide evidence I have ever started the process.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I connect my phone to the work network - the wifi network run by his majesty's UK government - and use as I normally would. There ain't enough IT staff to make key systems work, they ain't checking what I'm shitposting about.

And if they are? gently caress it. Hi guys.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
People still quote that hump day commercial. Ugh.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

I have successfully countered someone's request for verifying that I have completed a process by requesting they provide evidence I have ever started the process.

When the cops asked you to confess, you asked for proof they could even connect you with the corpse?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Salami Surgeon posted:

People still quote that hump day commercial. Ugh.

Saw a piece of advice for office small talk that was like, just say the day of the week and you'll be able to get along with anyone. and it's true. If someone asks you how you are, instead of hi, instead of talking about what you've done with the weekend, you can just say 'ugh it's Monday' and they'll move along

'Tuesday, Boo'
'Wednesday, Hump Day!'
'Thursday, almost the end of the week!'

Barudak
May 7, 2007

goatface posted:

When the cops asked you to confess, you asked for proof they could even connect you with the corpse?

I did send the person asking to my legal department for all follow-ups, but no just a boring old internal review.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I work in interior design on the sales/design side and actually enjoy working with my customers.

We are allowed absolutely no texting with them despite it being a very efficient way to communicate AND provides a written record.

Also our meetings consist of talking about various issues regarding communication breakdowns with customers.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Splicer posted:

Remember two important phrases:

"This job needs me more than I need it"

and

"People don't leave bad jobs, they leave bad managers"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

blatman posted:

pull it back down to a week and take 2 weeks off

And hit send on your letter of resignation as you're leaving for the two weeks.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Saw a piece of advice for office small talk that was like, just say the day of the week and you'll be able to get along with anyone. and it's true. If someone asks you how you are, instead of hi, instead of talking about what you've done with the weekend, you can just say 'ugh it's Monday' and they'll move along

'Tuesday, Boo'
'Wednesday, Hump Day!'
'Thursday, almost the end of the week!'

You want people to always think you're busy so they leave you alone. So instead of doing this, modify it to:

It's Monday
It's the second Monday
It's the third Monday

etc...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My first official day at my new job is next Monday but they've already sent me electronic forms to sign including, of course, my employment contract. Everything seems great about it! The benefits are, relatively, generous and everything seems to be a complete 180 from my previous employer. Awesome!

Except, it states my employment is at-will. Not even for a probationary period, I can be fired at any time for any legal reason for the entirety of my time being employed there. When I asked HR about whether or not this was probationary they said it was not and that they do it because California "is an at-will state."

Unless I am misinformed/ignorant here California ALLOWS you to do this lovely practice but there is nothing stopping you from NOT doing it, which feels like an important distinction. How people think this state is full of communists is wild we literally have some of the most regressive laws.

Edit: Having done digging on glassdoor it appears the company doesn't have a particularly itchy trigger finger and is generally very good to their employees but the language just irked me a bit.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
We love you and respect you and will always act in good faith. Also we explicitly reserve the right to treat you like subhuman trash without warning. This is totally normal don't think about it.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I have never not had at-will employment.

Whats non-at-will like?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Super Waffle posted:

Whats non-at-will like?

Union

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Super Waffle posted:

Whats non-at-will like?

Also Australia :australia::hf::vegemite:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

:britain: for a couple more years maybe before it all gets burnt down by our lovely government

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

This woman was taking the piss at work and it came back to bite her in the arse. The exact type of person who fucks up wfh for everyone else!

https://7news.com.au/business/workplace-matters/woman-fired-after-work-from-home-monitoring-found-she-wasnt-typing-enough-c-11525714 posted:

An Australian woman has been fired from a major insurance company after keystroke technology found she wasn’t typing enough while working from home.

The Fair Work Commission (FWC) rejected an unfair dismissal application by Suzie Cheikho, stating she was fired from Insurance Australia Group (IAG) for a “valid reason of misconduct”.

The commission’s findings stated Cheikho was responsible for creating insurance documents, meeting regulatory timelines and monitoring “work from home compliance,” among other roles.

However, the former consultant’s own work-from-home performance was her very undoing which would see her ejected from the company after 18 years.

The FWC findings stated Cheikho was fired on February 20 for missing deadlines and meetings, being absent and uncontactable, and failing to lodge a product disclosure statement which caused the industry regulator to fine IAG.

But Cheikho a month later claimed her employer made a “premeditated plan to remove her from the business and that she was targeted due to her mental health issues”.

According to FWC’s findings, however, Cheikho’s dismissal didn’t come without warning.

Cheikho received a formal warning in November 2022 about her output and was put on a performance improvement plan.

She was subject to a detailed review of cyber activity, which looked at how many times Cheikho pressed buttons on her keyboard on 49 working days from October to December.

The review found she started late on 47 days, did not work her rostered hours for 44 days, finished early on 29 days and performed zero hours of work on four days.

They also found on the days she did log on she had “very low keystroke activity” and recorded zero strokes over 117 hours in October, 143 hours in November, and 60 hours in December.

But Cheikho said she was “confused and shocked” at the data, and questioned its accuracy.

She added she at times used other devices than her laptop to log in when she had “system issues”.

According to the findings, Cheikho attended a performance meeting with her manager via Teams with the word “F***” written across her hand.

FWC Deputy President Thomas Roberts ruled the evidence showed Cheikho “was not working as she was required to do during her designated working hours” while monitored.

The applicant was dismissed for a valid reason of misconduct, Roberts wrote.

“I have little doubt that the factors underlying the applicant’s disconnection from work were serious and real,” he said.

The situation was “regrettable” given Cheikho’s “long period of satisfactory service,” Roberts added.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It sounds like she has untreated/unmanaged depression such that she can probably barely stand to get out of bed and her employer logs her keystrokes. That whole story loving sucks.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
~170 hr month she didn't record a single keystroke for 140 hrs. Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

My first official day at my new job is next Monday but they've already sent me electronic forms to sign including, of course, my employment contract. Everything seems great about it! The benefits are, relatively, generous and everything seems to be a complete 180 from my previous employer. Awesome!

Except, it states my employment is at-will. Not even for a probationary period, I can be fired at any time for any legal reason for the entirety of my time being employed there. When I asked HR about whether or not this was probationary they said it was not and that they do it because California "is an at-will state."

Unless I am misinformed/ignorant here California ALLOWS you to do this lovely practice but there is nothing stopping you from NOT doing it, which feels like an important distinction. How people think this state is full of communists is wild we literally have some of the most regressive laws.

Edit: Having done digging on glassdoor it appears the company doesn't have a particularly itchy trigger finger and is generally very good to their employees but the language just irked me a bit.

Good luck......