Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Mozilla are morons.

That's it.

Also something about them wanting to change the code or something. I don't know or care really, they utterly dropped the ball and broke the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Mozilla are morons.

That's it.

Also something about them wanting to change the code or something. I don't know or care really, they utterly dropped the ball and broke the thing.

Alas.
I imagined that there might be some specific drama.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The old plugin system was holding the browser engine back from being properly multithreaded, that's the biggest reason for ditching XUL.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Specifically what happened to Firefox Android was that they tried to make new UI that was better for phones, and strip it down to be more competitive with Chrome.

The UI I actually like now, it's weird and you have to get used to it but the tab selector is thumb-friendly. I had to put the urlbar back at the top though, bottom bar was bad.

The stripped-down thing has been a failure. It's still way slower to render a page than Chrome, and they haven't followed through on the addon selection. They said they'd be continually adding more to the available set. There's still only 20.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Atopian posted:

So I know I'm late to this, but I finally updated from Firefox Android 60something to the completely new version, and... I was wondering if anyone could share some of the backstory there.

Because there must be some, because wtf.
Inexplicable tab handling, restriction of the two main reasons to use Firefox: addons and about :config.

So does anyone have a summary or a link to one about what happened there?

You can at least get about :config back if you install "Firefox Beta for Testers". It's not as raw as the nightly build but you may still encounter the occasional bug. Anyway, about :config is there for... bug-testing reasons, I guess? and then it gets turned off for the official Firefox release.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's still present in Mull and Fennec too

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
I've been using Firefox since it was called Firebird back in like 2003 and I have to say it's pretty loving dog poo poo compared to Chrome in performance and like poo poo just working. I think I hate google more than my hatred of current Firefox. Is there anyway to make Firefox less poo poo? Like more websites not loading like x10 as long as Chrome? Youtube being more responsive?

I use both Chrome for some websites at work and Firefox for others at the same time.

Computers are very emotional to me.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Webpages should not take 10x as long to load in Firefox. Are you using a lot of extensions? Is your browser up-to-date? Have you tried a fresh browser profile?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pooperscooper posted:

Is there anyway to make Firefox less poo poo? Like more websites not loading like x10 as long as Chrome?

You got any examples?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Computer viking posted:

I currently have 13.0k checksum errors (but zero read or write errors) on each of the disks in my mirrored zfs pool. I find the identical numbers mightily suspicious.

That means it's probably not the disks, but your RAM that's broken.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Tamba posted:

That means it's probably not the disks, but your RAM that's broken.

Already been through that. One of four sticks was bad, running with the three remaining appeared to fix everything, but eventually the checksum errors crept back up. Replaced the remaining three with two completely different sticks that passed a ten hour memtest+, and there are still checksum errors.

The current theory is that my sata controller is weird. I was planning to use a separate sata controller to test, but the only things in my junk drawer were two PCI cards, an eSATA-only card, and a Dell PERC 6i that hides the last sector of the disks. I think I may have been using the SATA ports that are shared with the M.2 ports, so as a test I moved to another pair of ports.

But in short

E: Oh I thought this was the NAS thread, sorry.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 7, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Already been through that. One of four sticks was bad, running with the three remaining appeared to fix everything, but eventually the checksum errors crept back up. Replaced the remaining three with two completely different sticks that passed a ten hour memtest+, and there are still checksum errors.

The current theory is that my sata controller is weird. I was planning to use a separate sata controller to test, but the only things in my junk drawer were two PCI cards, an eSATA-only card, and a Dell PERC 6i that hides the last sector of the disks. I think I may have been using the SATA ports that are shared with the M.2 ports, so as a test I moved to another pair of ports.

But in short

E: Oh I thought this was the NAS thread, sorry.
:rubby:

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

You got any examples?

Off the top of my head: Masterclass website, Prime Video website and Youtube. Seems like anything with video is the extreme example of slow. Some websites have general not great load speed but manageable. How does one re-create a profile while keeping all boomarks and pass words? The only extension I have is Lastpass.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pooperscooper posted:

How does one re-create a profile while keeping all boomarks and pass words? The only extension I have is Lastpass.

Easiest way is refresh firefox, which keeps bookmarks and passwords. You might want to back up your firefox profile first just in case.

Pooperscooper posted:

The only extension I have is Lastpass.

My dude if you add uBlock and start blocking ads, I assure you that Firefox will suddenly be leaps and bounds faster.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If anyone's curious about load times for websites, grab Load Time.
It'll add a tiny icon next to the star that indicates a bookmark, and there you can find page load information broken down by response time and DOM processing (as well as a few other things, though they tend to be negligible).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 7, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Klyith posted:

Easiest way is refresh firefox, which keeps bookmarks and passwords. You might want to back up your firefox profile first just in case.

My dude if you add uBlock and start blocking ads, I assure you that Firefox will suddenly be leaps and bounds faster.

Specifically, use uBlock Origin. Also, drown LastPass in the river and move over to Bitwarden.

I'm glad XUL was ditched. Firefox had become unusable for me and I used Vivaldi for a year before Firefox 57 released.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 8, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Klyith posted:

Specifically what happened to Firefox Android was that they tried to make new UI that was better for phones, and strip it down to be more competitive with Chrome.

The UI I actually like now, it's weird and you have to get used to it but the tab selector is thumb-friendly. I had to put the urlbar back at the top though, bottom bar was bad.

The stripped-down thing has been a failure. It's still way slower to render a page than Chrome, and they haven't followed through on the addon selection. They said they'd be continually adding more to the available set. There's still only 20.

Yeah, the massive lack of addons takes away the main reason for using Firefox in the first place.

I use nightly build and "open in desktop version" a lot now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is there still no tab grouping in firefox? Still no PWA support?

These are things that drove me back to chrome a couple of years ago because they are so vital to a modern browser and Firefox baffingly didn't support them. Anything changed now?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Tabs should always open at the end of the list unless they're opened by dragging the link to a different location. Any half baked attempts at grouping by relation are bad. Hth op.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Meanwhile I'm over here wanting to make the "Middle click the new-tab button" behavior the default new-tab button/ctrl+t behavior.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Geemer posted:

Tabs should always open at the end of the list unless they're opened by dragging the link to a different location. Any half baked attempts at grouping by relation are bad. Hth op.

I use it all the time for work. Have 7 tabs open for google sheets, sites, ect for Project A. Another 4 open for Project B. 3 open for just general timekeeping/overall work email etc.

Those go in seperate tab groups. They can be minimized easily but all stay in the same "Work" window.

If something is getting out of control I can drag the whole tab group into a new window with one click.

Its sooooo much better.

Even my personal browser I do this. Like if I'm searching for a new guitar to purchase. Group all the guitar research together in one tab group. If I need to pause on that just minimize it and it's a nice little tidy tab at the top with 15 tabs hidden ready to resume when I come back to it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Open multiple windows?

E: apologies, didn't read well enough, please ignore

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 9, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is there still no tab grouping in firefox? Still no PWA support?

These are things that drove me back to chrome a couple of years ago because they are so vital to a modern browser and Firefox baffingly didn't support them. Anything changed now?

Firefox had tab groups for a while, years before chrome, but got rid of it. (They said their metrics were that very few people used it.)

There are a couple tab grouping extensions though. Simple tab groups is the most popular. It's not a slick as chrome's tab groups or vivaldi's tab stacking. But it does all the functionality you want.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I'm using Tree Style Tabs instead of tab groups

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Really annoying how the settings don't properly sync. I have exception lists setup for sites whose cookies can persist and its really annoying to have to duplicate those settings across all my devices. I should be able to sync everything so that if I reformat my machine I just have to install FF and log back in to pick up where I left off.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Tamba posted:

This sort of does it, but then you have the row of tabs at top still so it's a ton of wasted space.

Can someone explain to me the value of vertical tabs? I've been seeing like 5 different browsers try to implement it and it seems awful. It uses up like 1/5 of the screen real estate to show you all the pages you don't have open.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 9, 2023

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Nitrousoxide posted:

This sort of does it, but then you have the row of tabs at top still so it's a ton of wasted space.

Can someone explain to me the value of vertical tabs? I've been seeing like 5 different browsers try to implement it and it seems awful. It uses up like 1/5 of the screen real estate to show you all the pages you don't have open.

If you have lots of tabs, it's much more usable. You can actually read the titles and see a lot more at once (I know you can increase the max width, but it's still not great) without losing track.

Arc has by far the best implementation of this, tab groups, and pinned tabs I've seen (not to mention PiP and folders). I just wish it had proper bookmarks.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

astral posted:

Meanwhile I'm over here wanting to make the "Middle click the new-tab button" behavior the default new-tab button/ctrl+t behavior.

For years I had it so middle clicking the new tab button opened the last closed tab, until they broke the extensions. It's the one thing I still miss from that era.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

For years I had it so middle clicking the new tab button opened the last closed tab, until they broke the extensions. It's the one thing I still miss from that era.

There are a few extensions like Undo Closed Tab that might ease the pain.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

There are a few extensions like Undo Closed Tab that might ease the pain.
Ctrl-Shift-T will reopen the last tab, no extension needed.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Tamba posted:

TST is incredibly good. I generally have way the gently caress too many tabs open and when you open in new tab from a webpage it puts the new tab in as a child of the one that opened it. Then when you're working somewhere else the whole thing collapses down to just the top tab.

I have to shift mental gears a lot between tasks and I generally have a bunch of references open for each one. It's as simple as expanding the tabgroup for whichever I'm currently using.

It also serves as a short-term bookmark - something I want to check later but not something I want to keep forever. Open in my 'todo' tabgroup, close when I've seen it (or bookmark it if it's something important)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Knormal posted:

Ctrl-Shift-T will reopen the last tab, no extension needed.

Good to know! The extension allows you to right click and select the last 10 or so closed tabs, so it still has use.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Good to know! The extension allows you to right click and select the last 10 or so closed tabs, so it still has use.
I figured it probably did more, but I thought I'd drop the hotkey in the thread anyway since it's one of those ones I use probably 10 times a day. Every once in a while this thread introduces me to some long-present Firefox trick that I've somehow totally missed out on.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
history menu has recently closed tabs/windows too, with reopen all options at the bottom

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Apparently desktop extensions are finally coming to Android.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2023/08/10/prepare-your-firefox-desktop-extension-for-the-upcoming-android-release/

quote:

In the coming months Mozilla will launch support for an open ecosystem of extensions on Firefox for Android on addons.mozilla.org (AMO). We’ll announce a definite launch date in early September, but it’s safe to expect a roll-out before the year’s end.

I honestly don't believe them.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

History > Recently closed tabs has more than 10 in it and its already part of Firefox.

Bertha the Toaster fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 11, 2023

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Apparently desktop extensions are finally coming to Android.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2023/08/10/prepare-your-firefox-desktop-extension-for-the-upcoming-android-release/

I honestly don't believe them.

History > Recently closed tabs has more than 10 in it and its already part of Firefox.

Good timing for me at least if they follow through, as I only recently started using the new version.

Main priority: fixing the tab behaviour. The inexplicably awful tab behaviour.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I honestly don't know if the stupid tab system can be fixed, we'll all just have to get used to having the same page open in 57 tabs.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

From what I've read about it, it wouldn't be simple to fix the underlying issue due to the weird way they implemented the home screen, but what I guess an extension could do is just automatically close old tabs under specific conditions to mimic the way a non-hosed browser would behave?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I wonder if an extension could be implemented that basically mimics the home tab but does it properly. It boggles the mind that they made it work the way it does, it took me one click to realise its dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I wonder if an extension could be implemented that basically mimics the home tab but does it properly. It boggles the mind that they made it work the way it does, it took me one click to realise its dumb.

What old home tab?