Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
KMC or DS perfect fit inner sleeves then DS matte outer. I do use DS perfect sealable for foils to slow curling but those cards are for EDH decks so lol if someone deck checks in casual over 50 um.

I think all matte outer sleeves are opaque but if I was thinking of going to a competition I would stick to black or jet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

When did double sleeves first become the norm

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I was hot on sealable for about a week but have decided that they and dragonshields make a 60 card deck way too thick and hard to shuffle. The only decks I will keep them on are legacy.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I can think of a dozen TTRPGs they'd do before Deadlands (e.g., Rifts, Shadowrun, World of Darkness), and they won't do any of them because WotC doesn't want people to think about RPGs beyond D&D.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mix. posted:

Or I guess something REALLY out there like zero escape. That'd be kind of funny.

Security Camera Glasses
Artifact
4, T: Two target creatures your opponents control deal damage to each other equal to their power.

Radical-6
1UBR
Enchantment - Infection
Enchanted player can cast spells and activate abilities only any time they could cast a sorcery.

Shift!
WU
Instant
Whenever the next time a creature you control dies or is exiled this turn, create a token copy of that creature.

Axelavir
1G
Sorcery
Destroy all infections enchanting target player. That player gains 5 life.

Simple Crossbow
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature gains +2/+1 and
"5, T: Destroy target creature.
4, T: Destroy target Mira.
3, T: Destroy target Eric.
2, T: Destroy target Delta."
Equip - 1

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 9, 2023

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

brugroffil posted:

About 15 years ago.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

brugroffil posted:

When people started getting some kind of brainworms, happened around the same time everyone decided they need a playmat to protect their cards even though that's what sleeves are for

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

I can think of a dozen TTRPGs they'd do before Deadlands (e.g., Rifts, Shadowrun, World of Darkness), and they won't do any of them because WotC doesn't want people to think about RPGs beyond D&D.

I specifically mentioned Deadlands because of the upcoming wild west and modern horror sets, which together tie in to Deadlands in ways those others don't.

As for your latter point, I bet Wizards could buy the Deadlands IP outright for pennies. Doubt they'd want to, but could.

rickiep00h posted:

It, too, had its own, well-received if not popular, CCG/TCG.

Oh I know. I still have my collection. I check eBay for a Start Again every now and then, but haven't seen one for sale in a while. Harrowed Kennys seem more commonly available, but I don't want to pay $50 for a joke.gimmick card.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Playmats are so your cards don’t slide all over the place.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Back to the "deck name" discussion from a while back, learned from this week's Bosh N Roll that Legacy blue combo decks with Reset/High Tide are called "Solidarity" because the creator saw an unrelated Limited match where a player won with Solidarity, a white card which has nothing to do with what the Legacy deck does, wtf

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

ShutteredIn posted:

Do you regularly play in an aircraft hangar or something

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Someone did a full Dark Souls set:

https://darksoulsmtg.com/

It's even playeable on cockatrice.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

brugroffil posted:

I used to play a ton of legacy and I would get a bunch of dirt and grime at the top of my cards, made me really wish double sleeving had become a norm much sooner.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I like playmats because while my LGS’s employees are diligent and clean the tables at the end of the night, the grognards are sloppy and take their greasy meals on the tables.

CitizenKeen posted:

I think neon kamigawa is as close as you’re going to get to a shadowrun plane. World of darkness could sort of be done, just their regular tropes in a sort of modern setting? Arguably that horror set they teased can touch elbows with that, the dress and setting is supposed to be like 80’s and 90’s which is what world of darkness felt like to me when going through the source books.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Also cards like tabernacle used to be "affordable" at around 100 bucks. You would also wish people double sleeved and used playmats sooner and more often.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

fadam posted:

I love Street Fighter but I didn’t go for the Secret Lair because the cards were all bad.

For most of them I agree (shoutout to Chun Li I am gonna make that deck work someday) but the Zangief EDH deck is notoriously pesky at my kitchen table games

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

These monsters at Wotc better reprint Preordain in foil cause my modern deck is foil and switching in non-foil preordains will probably mark them, and foils are like $40

:(((

Foil preordains appear to be around $7 on TCG player? Which is wild because they were a lot less for awhile, but still a good bit less than $40

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ShutteredIn posted:

And also so they don't have to be rubbing up against whatever dirty surface you happen to play on. I can tell what drafts I played raw because the cards are rough from shuffling and sliding on the table.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cool Post Beg posted:

For most of them I agree (shoutout to Chun Li I am gonna make that deck work someday) but the Zangief EDH deck is notoriously pesky at my kitchen table games

I have a Chun Li deck that isn't super powerful but can get good momentum. Not good enough for proper tables but fun to play at lower power ones.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The one time i played against a chin li deck, the player got mad salty i kept killing their commander when they had a disenchant exiled and i had multiple good enchantments on the board that i needed to stay at all relevent

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Cool Post Beg posted:

Fair enough, the only commander I play is a CEDH pod every Saturday. I should make a casual/low power deck out of one of them just to have one on hand, I always thought that Blanka card was funny.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

The one time i played against a chin li deck, the player got mad salty i kept killing their commander when they had a disenchant exiled and i had multiple good enchantments on the board that i needed to stay at all relevent

Yeah, if you want Chun-Li to stick around the first priority is self-protection. If you just do removal tribal then you won't do anything

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Foil preordains appear to be around $7 on TCG player? Which is wild because they were a lot less for awhile, but still a good bit less than $40

Oh? I could only find them from the M11 printing cause all the others were in commander decks and weren't printed as foil.

I will look again. Thank you

E: ah hah! Commander legends was a booster pack product and had foils.

Ty ty ty!

Mouth Ze Dong fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 9, 2023

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
NM-ish Phelddagrif signed by Garfield (Phelddagrif = Garfield Phd duh):

what grading company do i go with? are garfield sigs rare? i can't be the only person to get him to sign one of these? he drew a little hat!

EDIT: once graded it's going on SA-Mart sooo choose wisely.

EDIT 2: I've been sitting on this for about 20 years it's time for it to find a new loving home and i want to send it off with some nice new clothes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 9, 2023

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Kind of an interesting read, I like the idea that we're finally seeing pushback on pricing like this, but it may also be that commander players just don't crack packs like people who play standard or limited that is driving prices of Commander Masters down.

https://infinite.tcgplayer.com/article/What-s-Going-On-With-Commander-Masters/666069dc-7a27-4f22-9039-89cf42056bca/

I had no idea that Commander Masters was performing so poorly, but set release/price fatigue definitely feels like a factor to me at least.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cactrot posted:

Kind of an interesting read, I like the idea that we're finally seeing pushback on pricing like this, but it may also be that commander players just don't crack packs like people who play standard or limited that is driving prices of Commander Masters down.

https://infinite.tcgplayer.com/article/What-s-Going-On-With-Commander-Masters/666069dc-7a27-4f22-9039-89cf42056bca/

I had no idea that Commander Masters was performing so poorly, but set release/price fatigue definitely feels like a factor to me at least.

What's TCGP Infinite? Because this article reads almost as bad as some AI stuff. It's obviously completely unedited (and probably un-vetted), so it could be right, but also equally likely just full of poo poo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

What's TCGP Infinite? Because this article reads almost as bad as some AI stuff. It's obviously completely unedited (and probably un-vetted), so it could be right, but also equally likely just full of poo poo.

i think the problem here is you, since you somehow missed it being tcgplayer's news website and also the attribution to an actual longtime commander writer. like it's RIGHT THERE.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Cactrot posted:

I saw a video of a lgs ordering 160k in commander masters and sold 10 boxes at release. He notes how Amazon now sells at 10$ less than any lgs can even buy it right now. The entire seller market is taking a bath in this right now.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

It's just articles from people who write for TCGPlayer. Callahan writes for them, up until recently he was the co-host of Playing With Power.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
That’s amazing. I think we’ve finally hit an inflection point where reprint/masters sets are so close to the original printings of the chase cards that demand just plummets.

Modern Masters 1 and 2 sold like hotcakes because it was 15-20 years since many of those cards were printed and they were a limited run product.

All the money cards in CMM has been printed within the last 2-3 years.

Which, cool if you wanna flood the market, but you can’t demand a premium when I could already get them for near the expected value of a box of the new stuff.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 9, 2023

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Arivia posted:

i think the problem here is you, since you somehow missed it being tcgplayer's news website and also the attribution to an actual longtime commander writer. like it's RIGHT THERE.

in their defense, it looks extremely lovely. no stylesheet, lovely writing, authored by someone who only people deep in the MTG community would recognize without googling? it's dubious as hell on first glance

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kalel posted:

in their defense, it looks extremely lovely. no stylesheet, lovely writing, authored by someone who only people deep in the MTG community would recognize without googling? it's dubious as hell on first glance

Are we looking at the same website? It has tcgplayer in the url, and the article isn’t formatted super fancy but it’s certainly fine, with inset card images, working links, subheadings, etc. It’s far from “extremely lovely,” and nowhere near the lack of quality you’d get from an AI content farm.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
With how expensive the packs were and how commander isn't exactly a draft format I get why CMM may not be flying off the shelves. Especially when we just had a great draftable premier set with LOTR.

But we have Reddit split on Maro's post that premium sets need to be priced higher to avoid cannibalizing lower powered sets. So to avoid power creeping standard they are power creeping draft with mystical archives sheets. I wonder what the plan is when people won't buy sets without a bonus sheet.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Cactrot posted:

anecdotally there are plenty of commander players down to crack packs as an inefficient means to card acquisition, but the price is so high that you've taken things out of the realm of "fun money" and the value proposition just really isn't there once people actually look at it (on average "you" are not going to afford enough to think you're reasonably likely to get what you want, the confluence of card choice and price makes it hard to envision the lottery ticket "paying off" in any way that isn't essentially break even, and once we're into the multi-hundreds on cardboard why not just buy the singleton Doubling Season or Jeweled Lotus you actually want/need?)

and then beyond that demand is basically from limited, where you've got a set geared towards players who (again, anecdotally) are less likely to play limited, and which may in turn be less appealing for normal limited players who aren't as into commander/multiplayer formats - all of which is exacerbated by it costing $TEXAS and coming on the heels of another premium set with good limited play (so why not just run LotR back again?)

so, while fatigue is a thing, I'm not sure that this isn't just a matter of it being a somewhat mistargeted product that has self-evidently poor value - if it had been priced lower and/or contained enough additional "value" that people felt like they had good odds of coming ahead (admittedly hard with what they're charging) I think it'd be doing just fine

e: if we're not loving the article, this is the video Sickening was referring to I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaCTjuLbjkU

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 9, 2023

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Arivia posted:

Are we looking at the same website? It has tcgplayer in the url, and the article isn’t formatted super fancy but it’s certainly fine, with inset card images, working links, subheadings, etc. It’s far from “extremely lovely,” and nowhere near the lack of quality you’d get from an AI content farm.

quote:

"Unfortuantely, this isn't the first time this has happened either, as Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate's lack of both impactful reprints and format-defining new cards (in comparison to the first Commander Legends) meant your favorite corner store to be running a fire sale on cases within a month of its release. [...] The problem is, of course, its base price is so high that stores are struggling to lower sealed product at all without losing money. Many store owners have gone on the record already saying they needed to make their preorders knowing only the high price, a few cards, and the very enticing name: Commander Masters. They've been left holding the bag."

This debate got me curious, so I read like five sentences and spotted enough mistakes to make me quit reading. It's garbage. In fact, chatGPT would fix this mess for you and actually improve it.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 9, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Jesus Christ are you an English teacher who also hasn't read a post online in 30 years? If you don't automatically correct minor typos like that when reading lol

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

quote:

I'm not lining up for Commander Masters Drafts, and it doesn't seem like many others are, either.
*raises paw*

I've really enjoyed the CMM drafts I've done and I'll probably end up doing a couple more over time. Granted I'm relatively new back to the game and commander in general, even basic stuff like Reassembling Skeleton is a card I didn't have. I've had decent value for the trade binder, a bunch of nice upgrades for a couple decks.

Only bought a pack or two, but I like the draft experience and I'm gonna keep doing it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Jesus Christ are you an English teacher who also hasn't read a post online in 30 years? If you don't automatically correct minor typos like that when reading lol

I correct minor mistakes like that mentally when I read your posting, not when someone publishes an article they expect to be taken at least somewhat seriously

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

TheKingofSprings posted:

I correct minor mistakes like that mentally when I read your posting, not when someone publishes an article they expect to be taken at least somewhat seriously

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Also cards like tabernacle used to be "affordable" at around 100 bucks. You would also wish people double sleeved and used playmats sooner and more often.

Someone on Twitter posted a link to a full scan of an old issue of InQuest the other day and I just had to scroll to the price guide for old times' sake:

:negative: