Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
The permission bureaucracy is the same when you are inside. But the big hurdle is usually the bad discoverability, just finding what you are looking for. You hope there is a wiki page that lists what roles you need. Otherwise, you have to know who to ask.
Your job might be writing software for future architectures, but you have to know a guy who knows a guy who you can ask what permissions you need to access what unlisted windows share with the compiler nighlies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Not at Intel but last time I got 1 (one) RSU. It was on top of the regular compensation but still it comes off as a joke. I think I would actually murder for $500k of RSUs though :(

I'm assuming that it was a quarterly vestment over 4 years and due to rounding you wouldn't get your stock until the final quarter? :v:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Beef posted:

The permission bureaucracy is the same when you are inside. But the big hurdle is usually the bad discoverability, just finding what you are looking for. You hope there is a wiki page that lists what roles you need. Otherwise, you have to know who to ask.
Your job might be writing software for future architectures, but you have to know a guy who knows a guy who you can ask what permissions you need to access what unlisted windows share with the compiler nighlies.

Oh yeah finding stuff is really hard too. I usually find something similar then look at the references table for the 6 digit code for easier searching - although sometimes they are hidden, sometimes they show up but are locked, etc. But at least it makes it easier to pester our contact for something specific we know should exist! :haw:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Beef posted:

There was a system I needed access to that was controlled through a formal enterprise rights management thing with an approval chain. The application owner would get the access request, which included the employee's full details (department, title, role, etc) and a justification which was already approved by their first level manager. This application owner was so persnickety about the requests that she would deny them unless you followed the specific script she wrote. She denied my request because I didn't paste in the exact verbiage into the justification field, despite having met me face to face multiple times, knowing my role, and sitting at a cube 30 feet away. This was the factory organization, so nobody thought spending a week navigating that bureaucracy was surprising.

Contrast that to an HR role, where the access process for getting EXTREMELY sensitive employee information (health records, home address, location data) that literally required written approval from Legal and an explicit business need would usually be fully completed within an hour or two.

Another funny thing that happened was duplicate enterprise software licenses and deployments. Company has giant enterprise deployment of big dollar software (SAP, Oracle, Microsoft products, Salesforce). A department wants to begin using it or add features to it. Chronically underresourced IT requires them to jump through a bunch of hoops to make that happen. The department is impatient, so they end up just buying another license, hiring a third party integrator and standing up their own deployment. That's how you end up with the situation where people ask "why do we pay for 8 different production on-prem and cloud deployments of Sharepoint, some of which are literally running on a server underneath someone's desk?"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Permission control ran the gamut. In some cases I’ve seen sensitive documents and test plans shared on some random rear end windows share someone built from scraps and threw on the network and didn’t maintain

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

canyoneer posted:

There was a system I needed access to that was controlled through a formal enterprise rights management thing with an approval chain. The application owner would get the access request, which included the employee's full details (department, title, role, etc) and a justification which was already approved by their first level manager. This application owner was so persnickety about the requests that she would deny them unless you followed the specific script she wrote. She denied my request because I didn't paste in the exact verbiage into the justification field, despite having met me face to face multiple times, knowing my role, and sitting at a cube 30 feet away. This was the factory organization, so nobody thought spending a week navigating that bureaucracy was surprising.

Contrast that to an HR role, where the access process for getting EXTREMELY sensitive employee information (health records, home address, location data) that literally required written approval from Legal and an explicit business need would usually be fully completed within an hour or two.

Not a current or former intel employee, and not to say that the factory org isn't bureaucratic, but it can also be a problem of documented (and measured) routine process vs an ad-hoc or rarely-used one-off request. Someone is making sure that Karen in HR is processing her forms, because that's a major, textual part of her job description, and it happens every day. If you have someone who processes three requests a year... nobody's keeping an eye on that to make sure they're turning it around.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I’m still salty about some engineer chewing me out over email on my second day of work after I blasted a bunch of permission requests that were listed on a new hire wiki because saying “new hire on team X my responsibility is Y” isn’t sufficient with my manager CC’d even though that team literally existed only to build poo poo for us

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Twerk from Home posted:

It's not, which is why Intel's corporate strategy has always been to hire a thousand fresh college grads and lose most of them to Broadcom, Samsung, or other after a few years.

They always insisted on the best of the best, top-shelf engineers that were heads above their peers... then paid in the absolute middle of the comp range. I left for a startup in SF.

WhyteRyce posted:

I’m still salty about some engineer chewing me out over email on my second day of work after I blasted a bunch of permission requests that were listed on a new hire wiki because saying “new hire on team X my responsibility is Y” isn’t sufficient with my manager CC’d even though that team literally existed only to build poo poo for us

I took over this godawful perl script from someone in Texas, it would scrape the bug tracker and break down by cluster to provide a dashboard to mgmt, one-click to email all the folks who had bugs past a certain state. It was hacks upon hacks, just some of the worst code I've ever seen employed professionally, but it wasn't really mission-critical and it wasn't mine to fix so I just got it working well enough.

Someone heard about it and I forwarded along the copy. I got back a blistering email about all the warnings that it spewed out to the console while updating, just "how dare you send me this code that emits any warning, it's not pristine" and... yeah I just had to let that one slide.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

They always insisted on the best of the best, top-shelf engineers that were heads above their peers... then paid in the absolute middle of the comp range. I left for a startup in SF.

I once went on a recruiting trip with my boss to a UC. The hiring guidelines were 3.0 or higher. My boss was livid that we were getting all these 3.2 and 3.3 people and complaining loudly to the advisor we were working with about why the A students weren't lining up. I didn't know how to tell him top tier candidates weren't going to line up to do post-silicon chipset validation in a not exciting city for not FAANG pay

That being said, if some borderline candidate managed to wrangle an interview, not have any major "absolutely do not hire" red flags, and the hiring manager starts hearing that the reqs are closing, you better believe they'll get hired

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 4, 2023

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Hasturtium posted:

This is all really interesting, thank you. Can you link to some resources so I can read more about this?

search for 9780849337581 on the world's leading scientific paper delivery platform (use 2page mode imo)

if you have specific questions fire away, you don't have to read the textbook but it explains how we got here from there

vector processing has always been at the heart of the fastest chips, and keeping the beast fed (and keeping it from dealing with administrivia/t=1 thread loops/etc) has always been crucial.

edit: section 7.3 is extremely extremely funni about how wrong all of that is on AI models

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 4, 2023

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 14, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sometimes I wish there was a post silicon validation thread but mostly we’d probably just bitch about using tools and processes that were put in place before we were even out of college :haw:

At my last job we were frozen using Tcl 8.4 because going to 8.5 would break things in ways we did not want to have to deal with. It was released in 2002.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

priznat posted:

Sometimes I wish there was a post silicon validation thread but mostly we’d probably just bitch about using tools and processes that were put in place before we were even out of college :haw:

At my last job we were frozen using Tcl 8.4 because going to 8.5 would break things in ways we did not want to have to deal with. It was released in 2002.

That’s just all big old companies, though especially regulated process oriented ones like manufacturing.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

WhyteRyce posted:

That being said, if some borderline candidate managed to wrangle an interview, not have any major "absolutely do not hire" red flags, and the hiring manager starts hearing that the reqs are closing, you better believe they'll get hired

We had this grad student who was on the org chart for years because he kept deferring and the req would've evaporated if managers revoked the offer.

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 11, 2023

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Hasturtium posted:

This is all really interesting, thank you. Can you link to some resources so I can read more about this?

(latest bullshit)

recommended clips:
general optimization / ue5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDEka3tBE1g&t=1943s
royal core speculation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDEka3tBE1g&t=5594s

as usual, pay more attention to the guest than MLID, and remember this is just speculation and riffing. I really do think the idea of queue processing as a game engine is kinda prescient, and maybe that stuff scales out to some kind of micromailbox-server. scalable queue processing is a fairly proven problem, you can design some reasonably optimal mailbox topology for your world.

edit: the end gets Weird

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 8, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://downfall.page/

looks like a similar attack to that AMD info leak that came to light recently

aw poo poo here we go again

barbieauglend
Apr 13, 2016

repiv posted:

Not similar to zenbleed if that’s what you are comparing to :)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

repiv posted:

Our first mistake was teaching sand to think

The second was asking it to peek forward in time

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Potato Salad posted:

Our first mistake was teaching sand to think

The second was asking it to peek forward in time

The third mistake was to trust them with all of our secrets.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
morris's three golden laws of computer security: do not own a computer, do not turn it on, and do not use it

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Phoronix benchmarks the mitigation microcode in a handful of architectures: https://www.phoronix.com/review/intel-downfall-benchmarks

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Phoronix benchmarks the mitigation microcode in a handful of architectures: https://www.phoronix.com/review/intel-downfall-benchmarks

do they have four arms and two heads? that was fast

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

I saw "downfall.page" and thought it was going to be a "hitler reacts" site but with Intel.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Has anyone here used one of the IHS shims on a 12th or 13th gen CPU? Wondering whether they're actually needed in terms of the potential thermal failures.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Has anyone here used one of the IHS shims on a 12th or 13th gen CPU? Wondering whether they're actually needed in terms of the potential thermal failures.

I thought about getting one for an alderlake but then thought eh, :effort:

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

SourKraut posted:

I have the thermalright contact frame and it's easy to install. I have no idea if it's improving anything as I didn't want to spend the time to bench before and after.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I really wish Intel would start selling bare-die CPUs with precisely-machined shims. I'd pay a premium for it - I never chipped/killed any bare-die CPUs I ever owned.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

priznat posted:

I thought about getting one for an alderlake but then thought eh, :effort:

Yeah, I haven't put one on my 12700K, but I'm putting a system together for a friend and remembered it, so was thinking to put it on now.

phongn posted:

I have the thermalright contact frame and it's easy to install. I have no idea if it's improving anything as I didn't want to spend the time to bench before and after.

I'm guessing it's this one? https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-Contact-Retrofit-17XX-BCF-Generation/dp/B0B811J7D9?th=1

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've seen plenty of people fix bad thermals by installing that, but it's one of those things that's very dependent on the motherboard and cooler you use. Some boards cause the IHS to flex more than others, and some coolers respond more poorly to the flexing than others (and some may conceivably benefit, it depends). If your thermals are fine as it is, then I wouldn't bother.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

It’s beautiful(ly tacky!)

https://videocardz.com/newz/colorfire-b760m-meow-motherboard-gives-paws-for-thought

Just need to equip the Yeston cat GPU with it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have something of a history question: what were server CPUs like in the era before multi-core CPUs, in terms of how different they were from desktop CPUs?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have something of a history question: what were server CPUs like in the era before multi-core CPUs, in terms of how different they were from desktop CPUs?

Are you talking about x86 or non-x86 machines? Also, a plenty of server-class machines had multi-socket motherboards, so you had multiple cores available anyway across the 2 or 4 sockets.

The Pentium Pro was the first really different x86 server chip: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_Pro. It was really expensive and just a bigger chip in every way possible, and paved the way for Pentium 2 and PIII. Just significantly better IPC, bigger caches, bigger feature sizes.

If you want somebody to talk about VAXen or DEC Alphas or POWER or something, I hope someone else chimes in.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 12, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Got me thinking of the Pentium-II slot1 cartridges now

And the massive pentium II Pro ones, they were like the P2 with a fivehead.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's a really lovely thread right on these forums, including a stretch on the first page where I embarrass myself trying to talk about Power(PC). There's some interesting info in there, and asking this question there would likely net you some solid, interesting answers.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

gradenko_2000 posted:

On the x86 side? Early on, not very.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeon

Lots of glue on the mobos and chip/card. The high end RAS stuff lived on the mobo. Once the memory controller moved on board it started to diverge more.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Even today, we still have multi-socket systems that range up to 8 sockets, like the Supermicro SYS-681E-TR, where each motherboard has 2 sockets and they all connect to a backplane where the daughterboards connect to:

Then there's the more normal Supermicro X13QEH+ which, despite its form-factor, is fairly standard and has one CPU connected to the PCH (which is the equivalent to the old South Bridge, plus some added circuitry for the Management Engine as well as System Attestation):

Finally, there's the older style of boards where the CPUs are connected to the North Bridge (which contains the memory controller and links to the daughterboard bus), like the Supermicro P3TDL3:

There are also older much more proprietary designs, like the Compaq SystemPro (which probably got its start in life when Compaq bought DEC, who'd done multi-processing motherboards since 1982?) - but it's much harder to find information about those.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Aug 12, 2023

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Before Intel ate everyone's lunch (cfr. Rise of the Killer Micro) on the server side, there were bespoke processor architectures for supercomputers, mainframes, minicomputers and workstations. Modern CPUs look more like evolutions of those old server processors than what was the desktop equivalent at the time, but what used to be a different board or rack has migrated on-die. Microcomputers were laughably under-powered at the time.

You see this extinction event in CS literature, with a rich biotope of weird and interesting species (Transputer, Lisp machines, Connection Machine, dataflow processors, ...) before and boringly uniform ecosystem of microprocessor CPU after.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Beef posted:

Before Intel ate everyone's lunch (cfr. Rise of the Killer Micro) on the server side, there were bespoke processor architectures for supercomputers, mainframes, minicomputers and workstations. Modern CPUs look more like evolutions of those old server processors than what was the desktop equivalent at the time, but what used to be a different board or rack has migrated on-die. Microcomputers were laughably under-powered at the time.

You see this extinction event in CS literature, with a rich biotope of weird and interesting species (Transputer, Lisp machines, Connection Machine, dataflow processors, ...) before and boringly uniform ecosystem of microprocessor CPU after.
Mainframes still run a different ISA, and ARM and RISC-V are steadily rising.

The last word in history hasn't been written yet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A chinese reviewer has allegedly gotten their hands on an early 14700K sample and benchmarked it: https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-core-i7-14700k-tested-and-compared-to-13700k-up-to-20-7-faster-multi-core-but-needs-30-more-watts

Seems very much like you'd expect from a refresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Mainframes still run a different ISA, and ARM and RISC-V are steadily rising.

The last word in history hasn't been written yet.

Processor-architecture, not ISA. (e.g. Intel could run a Cray XMT- or SPARC-style 16-way SMT barrel-processor with x86. ) The rise of the killer micro has nothing to do with intrinsic qualities of any ISA and everything to do with fab improvements and economies of scale.