Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Wii U sucked I loved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Wii U was underrated and I'd recommend getting one if not for all its good games already being ported to and/or getting sequels on the Switch.

Bring Back Miiverse.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Ehh I've definitely thought about getting one just to play with it and homebrew up but I always found the limitations on the handheld tablet to be a huge downer. If I'm going to get a tablet game thing it better act like a full on tablet game thing with a nice screen, more seamless gameplay or more options in not forcing me to use either/or for single screen games etc.

If I recall correctly my friend was unable to launch Metroid prime at all without being hooked up to the TV so it wasn't truly a hybrid console yet

OLED switch is where it's at baybeeee and it's going to be so much better once people start modding it

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The game pad itself was quite well-made, and comfortable. The concept of playing on a second screen was the giant-killer, obviously, so when they refined the idea it was ripe to be a big hit.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

KingSlime posted:

Almost no one knows what a Wii u is unless you're a hardcore fan, let alone played with one in person. That thing was DOA and you're in the minority here lol

Well not in this thread but in general obvs I'm sure everyone here owned one probably

wtf lol it wasnt the N-Gage, pretty sure the average gamer knows what the Wii U was or can at least guess what it is from the name alone

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I bought a Wii U day one. I've never bought a console or a game on launch since.

It was a turd of a console but we did get the Switch out of it so that was cool.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

symbolic posted:

wtf lol it wasnt the N-Gage, pretty sure the average gamer knows what the Wii U was or can at least guess what it is from the name alone

Possibly but WiiU came out 10 years ago, whole rear end decade. That's a long time for people to remember a very niche unpopular console or its specific feature set.

I was mostly responding to the "um you didn't KNOW the wiiU had a touch screen?" that someone replied with to another poster

Of course not. Why would most people know that? Some people don't even know the switch has a touch screen and they own one lol.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

KingSlime posted:

Ehh I've definitely thought about getting one just to play with it and homebrew up but I always found the limitations on the handheld tablet to be a huge downer. If I'm going to get a tablet game thing it better act like a full on tablet game thing with a nice screen, more seamless gameplay or more options in not forcing me to use either/or for single screen games etc.

If I recall correctly my friend was unable to launch Metroid prime at all without being hooked up to the TV so it wasn't truly a hybrid console yet

OLED switch is where it's at baybeeee and it's going to be so much better once people start modding it

That was because Metroid Prime launched off the Wii hardware, not from the Wii U part. The Wii U had a Wii inside it.

It was still a really neat console and the "Fischer Price rear end" gamepad was actually one of its strong points. That thing was super comfortable to hold and oftentimes I found it preferable to have different information displayed on the gamepad screen than the TV!

To this day I have trouble convincing my husband to play Mario Kart or Warriors games with me because he can no longer have his own screen. :( He loved playing with me on the gamepad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

These are worse than I remember

https://youtu.be/SChWdprUnzw

Bonus Joe Keery before Stranger Things

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

That was because Metroid Prime launched off the Wii hardware, not from the Wii U part. The Wii U had a Wii inside it.

It was still a really neat console and the "Fischer Price rear end" gamepad was actually one of its strong points. That thing was super comfortable to hold and oftentimes I found it preferable to have different information displayed on the gamepad screen than the TV!

To this day I have trouble convincing my husband to play Mario Kart or Warriors games with me because he can no longer have his own screen. :( He loved playing with me on the gamepad.

Ohh yeah that makes sense about Metroid prime.

I think I would have warmed up to the tablet a lot more if the bezels weren't so thick and round, and if the screen was a bit better quality. I remember it having a pretty low resolution and not being especially vibrant kind of like the 3DS screens which are functional but pretty disappointing next to any contemporary screen of its time. I was relieved they opted to include a nice well-balanced screen with the very first switch revision, then OLED came around and holy sheeeeit what a thing of beauty

Ergonomics wise I'll grant you that the tablet is much better than the switch joycons. I will never stop posting about how much I hate those things!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the codec they were using for low-latency video was excellent

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Also you could kick that son of a bitch downstairs and it wouldn't bat an eye

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Did I hear they’re turning off the Splatoon 1 servers? May have to fire up the WiiU soon for old times sake.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
the opposite, they're turning on the servers!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

hatty posted:

The Wii U sucked I loved it

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

KingSlime posted:

Almost no one knows what a Wii u is unless you're a hardcore fan, let alone played with one in person. That thing was DOA and you're in the minority here lol

Well not in this thread but in general obvs I'm sure everyone here owned one probably

I have two of them. I got them both in the last year and a half

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It's called Wii U because U are a sucker if you bought one :smug:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I enjoyed my Wii U more than I enjoyed my PS4 at the time it was certainly unique

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It's called Wii U because U are a sucker if you bought one :smug:

lmao I bought one, and then a few years later sold it, and then bought one again a few years ago! :negative: I actually like the Wii U it turns out, and playing Twilight Princess HD, Wind Waker HD, Xenoblade X are still good reasons to keep it.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Yeah nobody in the loving Nintendo thread knows what a WiiU actually is. I'm sure that's correct

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I bought my Wii U refurb off Nintendo's online shop for $200, it may have come with the NSMBU game too but I don't remember.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Twilight Princess HD, Wind Waker HD

It'll own when Nintendo ports these to Switch, I'm sure it'll be any day now!!!!!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I swear the steam deck has like, the exact form factor of the wii u gamepad.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’ve never even seen a Nintendo switch before

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Augus posted:

I’ve never even seen a Nintendo switch before

its kind of like a Sega Game Gear with good games

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Some goon should sell me there new Nintendo 3ds (small)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

wizard2 posted:

its kind of like a Sega Game Gear with good games

And better battery life

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Meowywitch posted:

Some goon should sell me there new Nintendo 3ds (small)
Now that was a unicorn, at least in NA. They only released a couple of special edition non-XL New 3DS designs over here.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Morpheus posted:

Detective Pikachu isn't a cop, cops and guards are beholden to a corporation or the state, and he doesn't get special privileges because of his position. He's more of a mercenary that solves crimes.

Detectives are cops who focus on investigation work.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He's a private detective.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Surprised to hear the Pokémon series taking a stance in favor of privatized police

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I said come in! posted:

Yeah I was going to say, Pikachu is not a cop.

I mean he literally is, he's Tim Goodman's dad Ryan Reynolds Goodman, a literal police officer who got transformed into a Pikachu. Spoilers for three year old movie.

And while this wasn't explicitly said in the first game it was basically spelled out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I mean he literally is, he's Tim Goodman's dad Ryan Reynolds Goodman, a literal police officer who got transformed into a Pikachu. Spoilers for three year old movie.

And while this wasn't explicitly said in the first game it was basically spelled out.

Okay fair enough. I guess pikachu is a cop and is therefore a bastard. That is disappointing :/

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I said come in! posted:

Okay fair enough. I guess pikachu is a cop and is therefore a bastard. That is disappointing :/

Did you even watch season 1 of the anime? Pikachu has always been a little poo poo.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

The Wii U is the only Nintendo home console I never owned lol

Same. :v:

I've spent more hours getting migraines playing Virtual Boy than I did even touching a Wii U.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I literally bought a Wii U yesterday to play Wind Waker HD

the gamepad rules

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

In da video game he is not Ryan Reynolds Goodman tho.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He obviously is

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

In my heart Detective Pikachu will always be Danny Devito, and if I don't play the games or watch the movie I don't have to be disappointed.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Though the DP movie trailer where Reynolds was getting so into the role that it was causing him marital troubles was amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Does Detective Pikachu talk in the game or was that strictly an invention of the movie along with him being related to the player character?