Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Mister Facetious posted:

If you're already using vlc, find 1080/4k quality .mkv torrents with the language/subtitles you're looking for (Mandarin, Lithuanian, Estonian, etc.), and play them directly with the vlc app on the tv using a nas or usb key. You can then select the audio or subtitles with your remote.

It doesn't seem like there's a native VLC app for WebOS. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ryuga Death posted:

It doesn't seem like there's a native VLC app for WebOS. :(

That's a bummer.
Get a Chromecast. It has a usb-c port, and vlc has chromecast and local network support

If the laptop has hdmi you can always just use that, even if it's inconvenient.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 16, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

dxt posted:

looking forward to jailbreaking future TVs.

I already jailbroke my existing TV.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Get a Chromecast.

Undo no circumstances anybody should be buying a pure chromecast in 2023.
Get an Android TV device that can run stuff on itself. Like Chromecast with Google TV.

Or if you have laptop then run Plex/jellyfin server on it. And access it with the tvs native plsx/jellyfin app.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 16, 2023

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The native player in webOS also supports built-in subtitles, if they're from elsewhere you'll have to mux them in with ffmpeg, but there's a native switcher and everything

Depending on the rip getting sound to work might get annoying as between the C8 and CX LG broke support for lossless codecs

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

MikusR posted:

Undo no circumstances anybody should be buying a pure chromecast in 2023.
Get an Android TV device that can run stuff on itself. Like Chromecast with Google TV.

That's what I was referring to, dude. It's the only one you can buy.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

MagusDraco posted:

This may be an issue/bug with a Denon receiver setting that's stuck around for several years.

from the bottom of this nvidia forum post from 4 years ago. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/320475/cec-turns-on-shield-and-switches-hdmi-input-unexpe/

Basically the Denon tells the last used thing to wake up. The Shield sees that regardless of being the last used device or not and goes "time to wake up" and takes control away from whatever sent the CEC signal to turn the receiver and/or TV on (the switch in your case). It has something to do with how that specific CEC command is sent or something. It's weird.

If this doesn't solve your issue than you may have to turn the following setting off in the shield's settings

"Sleep SHIELD when TV input changes"

'cause (at least back again in 2020, an update may have changed this) This setting actually ended up being "wake the shield up when TV turns on and then the shield does the dance of trying to take control of hdmi away from whatever device actually turned the tv on. Though this was with a LG Oled TV and not a Denon receiver.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV/comments/iy6y67/comment/g6d29zd/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3 (reddit comment where someone just troubleshooted until discovering this with their tv)

edit: in the end HDMI CEC is still buggy as hell

Thanks for all this info and details. Unfortunately messing with the settings hasn't helped me out, but one poster in that thread suggests putting tape over the HDMI CEC pin for the Shield. I think that may be the way to go. Kinda jank, but at least it's a permanent solution I won't have to think about anymore.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

A Bag of Milk posted:

Thanks for all this info and details. Unfortunately messing with the settings hasn't helped me out, but one poster in that thread suggests putting tape over the HDMI CEC pin for the Shield. I think that may be the way to go. Kinda jank, but at least it's a permanent solution I won't have to think about anymore.
You can also get "CEC Blocker" adapters that fit on the end of the HDMI cable and basically do the same thing but in a plug-and-play format. A lot of devices have quirky CEC implementations that can't be fully disabled so these are reasonably popular.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

wolrah posted:

You can also get "CEC Blocker" adapters that fit on the end of the HDMI cable and basically do the same thing but in a plug-and-play format. A lot of devices have quirky CEC implementations that can't be fully disabled so these are reasonably popular.

It should also be possible to just turn off all the CEC functions for the shield TV. It has like 3 or 4 CEC options in Settings -> Device preferences -> Display & Sound -> Power Control. You lose the CEC "TV remote controlling the shield tv" stuff though. If that didn't work then yeah blocking the pin or getting one of those adapters is all you can do I think.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

KillHour posted:

I already jailbroke my existing TV.

the future is now!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Drilled some holes in my wall for a TV mount for the first time in my life. I was so nervous. :lol: The tiny Fire TV 2 seems okay - never powered it on myself but reviews say it's better than it has any right to be. Also bought a soundbar to put underneath it via mounting too which I never knew was a thing but makes total sense and is really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT_nJPUTBRU

Wall mount: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07SHFPD8S
Speaker mount: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01DW1XOCY
lovely soundbar: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08L42XT6Z

Finishing up tonight as I didn't have a socket wrench to put the unit on the wall.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 18, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't even see the OS on my brand new C2 because I wake it by turning on my PS5. If that ever changes or I see an ad I will be extremely upset.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

SettingSun posted:

I don't even see the OS on my brand new C2 because I wake it by turning on my PS5. If that ever changes or I see an ad I will be extremely upset.
I turned most of the ads and tracking off in the settings, if I really wanted to I can blacklist where it dials out in my firewalla gold or just get my pi-hole going again.

(There is a small band of promoted items on the home screen I haven't figured out how to remove)

I was going to get an apple tv if WebOS offended me but that remote with the mouse pointer is pretty sweet and it seems snappy so far compared to my Roku TCL I came from.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

For Prime Day I treated myself to a Roku voice remote. Is there any possibility of using it to turn on my Logitech z-5500s? I realize this is typically done by CEC and this sound system doesn't have an HDMI input.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

For Prime Day I treated myself to a Roku voice remote. Is there any possibility of using it to turn on my Logitech z-5500s? I realize this is typically done by CEC and this sound system doesn't have an HDMI input.

Depending on how the Logitech setup functions after power is connected, you could maybe get one of those roku indoor smart plugs for the Z-5500's power and use the new remote with the plug. If there's no HDMI and you're using optical out from the TV, I don't know of any other way you could do it, though. You would still have to use the other remote for every other function, too.

If you leave it on the same input, you could try unplugging the Logitech hardware, let it sit for a bit (maybe press power to dissipate the remaining stored electricity first), and plug it back in. If it powers on to the right input, it might work for you. If it goes to some other default state, the plugs would be a wasted purchase.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 21, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

The tiny Fire TV 2 seems okay - never powered it on myself but

Look into turning off "Amazon sidewalk" which shares your private internet connection . It's not crazy bad but definitely not great

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thinking on this, I need to rephrase it. I am using a Harmony to turn everything on so that's all good, I'm just curious if I can use the Roku remote not only to turn it on but control the volume too. So I'm thinking HDMI out into something then optical into the z-5500 control pod - that leaves how to get the power on/off signal transmitted. Smart plugs might be the answer for that.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

This is a great opportunity to begin looking into a proper speaker upgrade.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

No.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Smart TV OS question: Is it only Google tvs where you can't buy things directly through the Prime Video app thanks to the 'app store cut' tiff?

Girlfriend's dad is mightily annoyed by that aspect of his newish tv, and now I'm in the market for one and want to avoid that, so I was thinking maybe a Roku TV.

I've just moved to Hawaii for 3-5 years, and opted not to bring a lot of stuff with me. So I'm in the market for a ~55" panel for my little rental condo, aiming for sub $500 for sure, ideally even less.

E: Something like this, maybe: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-4-series-4k-uhd-hdr-smart-roku-tv/6500472.p?skuId=6500472

Arrath fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 24, 2023

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Arrath posted:

Smart TV OS question: Is it only Google tvs where you can't buy things directly through the Prime Video app thanks to the 'app store cut' tiff?

Girlfriend's dad is mightily annoyed by that aspect of his newish tv, and now I'm in the market for one and want to avoid that, so I was thinking maybe a Roku TV.

I've just moved to Hawaii for 3-5 years, and opted not to bring a lot of stuff with me. So I'm in the market for a ~55" panel for my little rental condo, aiming for sub $500 for sure, ideally even less.

E: Something like this, maybe: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-4-series-4k-uhd-hdr-smart-roku-tv/6500472.p?skuId=6500472

You’d probably be happier with the TCL 5-series since it’s a QLED and has local dimming. Sizable step up in picture quality and around $400 on sale. The next step up to the 6-series is also well worth it, but takes you to $550.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tacier posted:

You’d probably be happier with the TCL 5-series since it’s a QLED and has local dimming. Sizable step up in picture quality and around $400 on sale. The next step up to the 6-series is also well worth it, but takes you to $550.

I came to a similar conclusion myself after reading around some more, unfortunately there appears to be all of one tcl 5 series in stock on this island, and it's open box in not terribly great condition.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I just nabbed an OLED55CXAUA off Craigslist for $500 even, seems pretty solid so far.

I've been running movies from a laptop plugged in, with the Plex app on the laptop. Works great.

Then I checked out the TV's smart apps and saw it can run Plex on it's own hardware, so I fired it up. It was working perfectly, except if loving FORCED FRAME INTERPOLATION ON. If I go into the picture settings the Smooth Motion of whatever it's called is hidden. If I exit out of the apps I can go into the settings on "Cinema" picture mode, turn off Smooth Motion and it will change to "Cinema (User)". But if I go back into the Plex app it goes back to "Cinema" and smooth motion is back.

There's no way they're that pigheaded to intentionally require it for the smart apps, right?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Excitement post incoming!

My trusty 55" LG OLED55C6P broke during shipment to my new house despite a ton of securing, padding and boxing in a POD. I was really bummed because it was my first OLED TV 6+ years ago and rocked my world. I'm gonna make lemonade out of this poo poo and on Friday I have this guy coming - LG G3 77". As a bonus, I just finished assembling this ridiculous Lovesac Stealthtech couch that has 5.1 surround built into the couch itself with a soundbar. My body is ready! Shame they dropped 3D support from the later TVs because I honestly thought it was really cool and the conversion was pretty spot on with almost any source.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Samsung currently has the 2022 65" QN90B on sale via AAA discount for $1119.99 and I tried to get free 2 years samsung care+ via chat and they ended up giving me an additional 10% off instead. Pretty happy with getting the TV for $1007.99, especially since I was considering the newer (and worse) model QN90C for $600 more.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

ihatepants posted:

Samsung currently has the 2022 65" QN90B on sale via AAA discount for $1119.99 and I tried to get free 2 years samsung care+ via chat and they ended up giving me an additional 10% off instead. Pretty happy with getting the TV for $1007.99, especially since I was considering the newer (and worse) model QN90C for $600 more.

I'd love to hear your report once you've tried it out. I've been eyeing this TV for ages, and am just waiting for a windfall or deep enough discount to take the plunge.

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022
My 5 year old 65” Bravia xXx950xXx(or whatever) finally died. I read the last 10 pages and the OP, and have selected this TV to replace it:

https://www.costco.com/.product.9777012.html?sh=true&nf=true&qaTestID=ios7.4.1

It’s a 77” LG A2 OLED. Comes with a 5 year warranty through Costco. The reviews are decent and I like the idea of OLED since sometimes in a dark room, local dimming zones make subtitles look like poo poo.

Question1: can I just keep using my AppleTV through this and never ever ever connect it to the internet?

Question2: is there a better alternative that is not from a Chinese brand?

Thanks in advants for your time and attention

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Q1 yes

I believe the lg oled is the premier tv line, but I haven’t purchased in a while

I have 2, a 65 inch and I think a 42 inch

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'll point out that, for dark room watching with dark scenes, subtitles actually annoy me. Since you just have pure black in a lot of the space (depending on what you are watching) they can seem really bright in comparison to the rest of a scene. If your subtitles are customizable then not as big a deal but I nitpick the experience at these price ranges!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Scrungus posted:

LG is a South Korean brand, and is one of the most well-known and trusted tv brands out there. The top 3 are basically them, Samsung (also Korean) and Sony.

Edit: Maybe I mis-interpreted your question and you just want a non-Chinese alternative. Yeah basically either Sony, Samsung, or Panasonic if you’re in Europe.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Scrungus posted:

My 5 year old 65” Bravia xXx950xXx(or whatever) finally died. I read the last 10 pages and the OP, and have selected this TV to replace it:

https://www.costco.com/.product.9777012.html?sh=true&nf=true&qaTestID=ios7.4.1

It’s a 77” LG A2 OLED. Comes with a 5 year warranty through Costco. The reviews are decent and I like the idea of OLED since sometimes in a dark room, local dimming zones make subtitles look like poo poo.

Question1: can I just keep using my AppleTV through this and never ever ever connect it to the internet?

Thanks in advants for your time and attention

Just know that the A2 is the lowest model of those. I think you only get 2 HDMI ports and it’s locked at 60Hz. I think it’s still a good TV, just make sure you know that.

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022

Silly Burrito posted:

Just know that the A2 is the lowest model of those. I think you only get 2 HDMI ports and it’s locked at 60Hz. I think it’s still a good TV, just make sure you know that.

Yeah I saw that as well. Not quite as bright, not as many frames per hertzes or whatever. My current tv is 120hz but basically nothing is pushing that many frames anyway so it shoooouuuuldnt matter, right? Or is 60hz going to look annoying?

Basically all we do is stream media.

And to the previous poster: yeah I could definitely have worded that better. I was saying I’m open to alternatives as long as those alternatives are not Hisense, TCL, Vizio, etc. happy with LG, Sony, Samsung, etc.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Scrungus posted:

Yeah I saw that as well. Not quite as bright, not as many frames per hertzes or whatever. My current tv is 120hz but basically nothing is pushing that many frames anyway so it shoooouuuuldnt matter, right? Or is 60hz going to look annoying?

Basically all we do is stream media.

Personally, I don’t think I’d step down and would stay as future proof as possible as long as your budget accommodates it. I think the B2 will do 120Hz. I have a 77 G2 and it’s a drat nice TV. I’d say if you could see one in person and determine for yourself, that would be best.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 6, 2023

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022

Silly Burrito posted:

Personally, I don’t think I’d step down and would stay as future proof as possible as long as your budget accommodates it. I think the B2 will do 120Hz. I have a 77 G2 and it’s a drat nice TV. I’d say if you could see one in person and determine for yourself, that would be best.

Oops I bought it sight unseen because it just went on sale at Costco. I guess I’ll be able to post a review of it in here once I get it all set up.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
My parents are looking for a new TV around 65" and around 1600 dollars and either Samsung or LG if possible (not sure why but didn't press them on it). They are currently looking at Samsung - 65” Class S95B OLED 4K Smart Tizen TV - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-65-class-s95b-oled-4k-smart-tizen-tv/6502215.p?skuId=6502215. I haven't looked at TV's in years so I ask you humble thread peeps: is there any other TV in that range that is a better bang for buck or should they pull the trigger on this one?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You can get a really good bang for your buck if you go to walmart. I forget the exact prices but last time I was in there they have TCL and other generic brand TV for like, $450-699

How did you come up with $1600 as the budget for the TV?

That said I'd probably just buy the samsung for $1600 if they already had a samsung, particularly if it's a 7-10 year purchase

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Hadlock posted:

You can get a really good bang for your buck if you go to walmart. I forget the exact prices but last time I was in there they have TCL and other generic brand TV for like, $450-699

How did you come up with $1600 as the budget for the TV?

That said I'd probably just buy the samsung for $1600 if they already had a samsung, particularly if it's a 7-10 year purchase

They came up with the price point because they were looking at bestbuy and said “yeah that’s ok”. They don’t buy tv’s often and I think their current one is pushing like 10 years now.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

poemdexter posted:

My parents are looking for a new TV around 65" and around 1600 dollars and either Samsung or LG if possible (not sure why but didn't press them on it). They are currently looking at Samsung - 65” Class S95B OLED 4K Smart Tizen TV - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-65-class-s95b-oled-4k-smart-tizen-tv/6502215.p?skuId=6502215. I haven't looked at TV's in years so I ask you humble thread peeps: is there any other TV in that range that is a better bang for buck or should they pull the trigger on this one?

Personally, I'd go with an LG OLED (I own 3) over a Samsung.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

parents fuckin love Samsung the frames in my experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Samsung TVs still don't support Dolby Vision, correct? Pretty baffling at that price point. Every once in a while, a friend with a Samsung TV will complain to me about not being able to watch a DoVi HDR file on my Plex server.

Your parents probably won't care, though.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 9, 2023