Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wDZJN4lRZk

Primm reviews a failed backdoor pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
another Wired video with this funeral dork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVMaNvo9IQ4

from a few days back, but another Primitive Technology video. as usual, turn on captions for descriptions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTzMqWaoqYw

if you like PrimTech, you might also like this smaller channel where some nerd recreates various tech from the past. here's one with a wax tablet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBbchaZQqsA

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Martincitopants, a random gaming video type person, decided to stream My Summer Car with the idea that donations and engagement would add to his mandatory driving distance. He's currently at 140km out of 2865km required. He could finish in about 80 hours if no more distance got added, but viewers are adding to the required distance faster than he can drive. He's going to be stuck driving around low-poly Finnland until the internet gets bored or he gives up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4YgV7hjoc

It's like if capitalism did Desert Bus for Hope.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Skippy McPants posted:

Martincitopants, a random gaming video type person, decided to stream My Summer Car with the idea that donations and engagement would add to his mandatory driving distance. He's currently at 140km out of 2865km required. He could finish in about 80 hours if no more distance got added, but viewers are adding to the required distance faster than he can drive. He's going to be stuck driving around low-poly Finnland until the internet gets bored or he gives up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4YgV7hjoc

It's like if capitalism did Desert Bus for Hope.

Oh god is he still going? His previous My Summer Car videos and his Just Cause ones are all good. He's streamed getting some records for Just Cause 3.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Oh god is he still going? His previous My Summer Car videos and his Just Cause ones are all good. He's streamed getting some records for Just Cause 3.

360km/4045km now, so he's gonna be at it a while.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsJI2PrSM7A
Part 2 of the Dorktown series on the Minnesota Vikings

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I just discovered Chad Chad today and my god this dive into creepy reality TV is something else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-W5OcJw7ag

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FD with a video essay about... video essays, what makes 'em good, and the Youtube algorithm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEEBKbCvDJE

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

keep punching joe posted:

I just discovered Chad Chad today and my god this dive into creepy reality TV is something else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-W5OcJw7ag

oh god I remember watching that episode and I just kept marveling at how every second, this TV show somehow got even worse

this video was the first time I actually felt actual pain from cringe

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
oof i had to take a shower after that video

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

FD with a video essay about... video essays, what makes 'em good, and the Youtube algorithm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEEBKbCvDJE

Speaking of, I dunno if this is just me being digging my heels in because subtext is beyond me and I'm an idiot who- to give an example- didn't realize that oh, Catra still cared about Adora in the She-Ra reboot after she snapped near the end of season three over opening that portal that she was told was was doomed to backfire. But like, random youtube comments defending a villain in an anime's actions don't really stand out as iron immutable evidence because I've seen this happen tons of times with other characters like Bane in the Dark Knight Rises or Syndrome in the first Incredibles.

https://twitter.com/PicturesFoIder/status/1689127744196812800

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RareAcumen posted:

Speaking of, I dunno if this is just me being digging my heels in because subtext is beyond me and I'm an idiot who- to give an example- didn't realize that oh, Catra still cared about Adora in the She-Ra reboot after she snapped near the end of season three over opening that portal that she was told was was doomed to backfire. But like, random youtube comments defending a villain in an anime's actions don't really stand out as iron immutable evidence because I've seen this happen tons of times with other characters like Bane in the Dark Knight Rises or Syndrome in the first Incredibles.

https://twitter.com/PicturesFoIder/status/1689127744196812800

I think every part of this post is bad.

You don't gotta start a post with "Now I'm not smart enough to understand a show for children...

But youtube comment posters are bad"

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Well it wasn't the loving Joker because he was proved wrong in the movie he appears in.

Can we please just pour a teensy drop of media literacy on the internet? Everyone can share it.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

SkeletonHero posted:

Well it wasn't the loving Joker because he was proved wrong in the movie he appears in.

Can we please just pour a teensy drop of media literacy on the internet? Everyone can share it.

"No you see, if I was on that boat. I would have pressed the button!"

editing with an only slightly relevant video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKUCK7spm08

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i will not watch attack on titan but it does seem like Eren Yaeger indeed "sux0rz"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The entire point is that eren is the bad guy, yes. But it's also approaching the level of starship troopers with these people; because he did a cool thing once, he's clearly the good guy forever and perspective can never change to show otherwise

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I can't speak to AoT, I've never watched or read it*, but if you have ever met one of these people, it is truly "you're never giving the benefit of the doubt again" world-shaking after you try to discuss a series with someone who is just taking all the wrong ideas from media. My personal breaking point was dudes who are like "yo but the sociopath clown is cool, like the Joker" in the Hunter x Hunter fan base. These people exist and they are impossible to share space with.

* self-dunk: I went out with a coworker to lunch one time and complimented him on what I thought was a Mass Effect Paragon icon on his window and he ended up asking me how the hell I was an anime fan who didn't recognize some kind of AoT military logo

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

My hot take is that if a creator makes a story about a "cool" bad person, targets the story to people who will be attracted to the fact that the character is cool, and fails to articulate to that audience that the character is actually bad then it's either a failure in writing, targeting, or (probably subconsciously) the creator doesn't actually think the character is actually that bad.

"I love writing characters that idiots love! Why do these idiots keep misunderstanding my point?!"

(Also, lol who would watch AoT?)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That is a hot take. No one should make art so restrictive they have to sit down and explain to dumb dumbs that the character is bad.

Walter White of of the best characters of all and a bad person. It owns.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
AoT is loving huge among kids, the reason F.D. Signifier focused so much on that is because he's a teacher and he sees this. It's made for the same audience that Dragonball/Naruto/My Hero Academia are all made for after all, and naturally they're the ones least likely to parse the nuances and historical significance of its cynical cycle of violence worldview and warcrime apologia.

CelticPredator posted:

That is a hot take. No one should make art so restrictive they have to sit down and explain to dumb dumbs that the character is bad.

The difference being that Breaking Bad is laser targeted at aggrieved middle aged white guys and not middle schoolers, which isn't to say that kids never watched the show starring the dad from Malcom in the Middle that came on after Mad Men, or that aggrieved middle aged white guys didn't massively misunderstand that the titular character had indeed turned into a villain, but there's still quite a difference there.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 9, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw an episode of attack on titan, it ain’t made for kids. But kids like it because it’s got gore and monsters and poo poo.

It’s the parents job to teach their kids about whatever is going on in that show

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I find it more entertaining when writers make characters who appeal to the popular depiction of "cool" while also making it clear to anyone with a functioning brain that these characters are absolute assholes that nobody should aspire to be like.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I'm probably most forgiving of Breaking Bad out of all the examples because Vince has come out and been like "Walter is a lot less sympathetic than I remember."

I think by the end it had done a pretty good job of balancing out how "cool" he was.

The obvious worse offenders are Don Draper, Dexter, Tony Soprano, and of course the most obvious recently being Homelander.

I think there's also something to be said for the format of TV being a challenge with the balance of a complicated character. If you make the anti-hero cool for 5 seasons, and then make him get his comeuppance in Season 6 you could have a substantial portion of the audience who may just not finish completing that story (either due to the character changes or because of other changes in the show.)

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 9, 2023

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Yeah, I think it's way more of a media literacy problem than an authorial problem. Remember that there have been people who think Humbert Humbert is a tragic victim in Lolita pretty much since the novel's release, and I don't think that's the fault of Nabokov.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

CelticPredator posted:

I saw an episode of attack on titan, it ain’t made for kids. But kids like it because it’s got gore and monsters and poo poo.

It’s the parents job to teach their kids about whatever is going on in that show
It's absolutely made for kids, it was serialized in a magazine for kids and it's full of nice illustrated action and gore, it doesn't use any big words they won't understand and doesn't use any advanced kanji they can't read.

Arc Hammer posted:

I find it more entertaining when writers make characters who appeal to the popular depiction of "cool" while also making it clear to anyone with a functioning brain that these characters are absolute assholes that nobody should aspire to be like.
If the last 8 years have taught us anything it's that whatever you think the definition of "functioning brain" is, a large plurality of humans alive today do not match it, and we need to take that into account.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 9, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve watched breaking bad through a lot of times. Walt can be badass but most of the time he’s fumbling around and a huge idiot.

But we do root for him in a way. I think the thing that people may miss is that you can root for an anti hero and not condone their actions. I think people maybe do a bad job at saying this or whatever but idk.

Homelander I was rooting for him to survive last season because he’s the most interesting and well acted character in that show and I just cannot imagine a single episode without him lol. Anthony Starr forever gotdamn

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Assepoester posted:

It's absolutely made for kids, it was serialized in a magazine for kids and it's full of nice illustrated action and gore, it doesn't use any big words they won't understand and doesn't use any advanced kanji they can't read.

Then parents should teach their kids media literacy not the writers of the vore show

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The stories that DO focus entirely on how cool and badass the protagonist is even when they do awful poo poo tend to be those vigilante action movies that make up most of Bruce Willis's dollar bin fare. But it's not as funny to laugh at a lovely Death Wish remake than it is to see someone watch Fight Club and completely get taken in by Tyler Durden with zero self awareness.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

KingKalamari posted:

Yeah, I think it's way more of a media literacy problem than an authorial problem. Remember that there have been people who think Humbert Humbert is a tragic victim in Lolita pretty much since the novel's release, and I don't think that's the fault of Nabokov.

There was a tweet that was showing the back covers of various copies of Lolita and one of the critic blurbs was "the only convincing romance of the last century" :shepface:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

CelticPredator posted:

I’ve watched breaking bad through a lot of times. Walt can be badass but most of the time he’s fumbling around and a huge idiot.

But we do root for him in a way. I think the thing that people may miss is that you can root for an anti hero and not condone their actions. I think people maybe do a bad job at saying this or whatever but idk.

This is me with Succession. Almost all of the main characters are evil, power hungry scumbags, but the show never lets you forget that they’re a bunch of broken, miserable people who unfortunately have access to vast wealth and influence.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

CelticPredator posted:

Then parents should teach their kids media literacy not the writers of the vore show
Yeah they should, and I'm sure they'll get right on that after working 2 or 3 jobs, including all the gig work. I'm just pointing out that through writing level/reading difficulty it's possible for something to be indecipherable to the vast majority of kids, and AoT is not that, it's written for them and marketed to them, and that's why F.D. Signifier has spent so much time on it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Assepoester posted:

Yeah they should, and I'm sure they'll get right on that after working 2 or 3 jobs, including all the gig work. I'm just pointing out that through writing level/reading difficulty it's possible for something to be indecipherable to the vast majority of kids, and AoT is not that, it's written for them and marketed to them, and that's why F.D. Signifier has spent so much time on it.

It’s not the writers of the vore show teach anyone anything. Ever.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I'd also unironically blame Youtube a lot for the drop in media literacy.

You can experience Homelander by jumping onto Youtube and watching the "cool" scene where he kills an entire crowd with laser eyes. It has 13 million views.

You can watch a super cut of all of Tyler Durden's cool counter-culture speeches and fights.

If you want the story you gotta pay for it.

When the easiest way to consume media is incompletely it creates a real challenge to tell complex stories.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I rewatched the Sopranos somewhat recently, Tony is never ever actually depicted as cool lmao, it's entirely projection from the viewer to make him out to be

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Tony Soprano got a panic attack from seeing a black man on a box of rice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pretty sure that Sage's video on Death Note has an entire segment dedicated to this topic about why certain people gravitate to demagogues and "sigma male" characters no matter how awful and childish they're intended to be.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

My hot take is that if a creator makes a story about a "cool" bad person, targets the story to people who will be attracted to the fact that the character is cool, and fails to articulate to that audience that the character is actually bad then it's either a failure in writing, targeting, or (probably subconsciously) the creator doesn't actually think the character is actually that bad.

"I love writing characters that idiots love! Why do these idiots keep misunderstanding my point?!"

it starts out set under an autocratic monarchy, that gets overthrown halfway through the series through the will of the people, and then a fascist dictatorship takes advantage of the people's fears and seizes power. none of this is portrayed in a positive light, it's almost entirely shown as monsters abusing power and the ability of narrative control to shape the minds and mentalities of the people. the triumphant and heroic-sounding first season intro song is textbook fascist masking of reality. and that's not even getting into Eren himself, who starts out as a person who wants revenge on the literal monsters who killed his mom and ruined his happy life, who then extends that into "if we don't kill them first, they will kill us" mentality. basically every character after a certain point is like "eren, you shouldn't do this" or "what the gently caress is eren thinking", and ultimately in the end, in his literally-worst-person-to-ever-live genocidal efforts to protect his people, he ensured their temporary safety but long-term destruction, his horrific actions ultimately meaningless and achieving nothing good.

the pro-eren internet posters tend to ignore the last handful of chapters because it doesn't fit their worldview, or they never got past the first season, which is very very possible, since eren was portrayed as your typical hotheaded shonen protag with oodles of trauma piled atop him, but also he could turn into a meat mecha. I would say this series definitely should have been in a seinen magazine rather than a shonen, though, on that I'll agree with, that it shouldn't have been marketed to kids/young teens.

also how many people who have posted on this page about AoT have actually interacted with more than a season or handful of chapters of it rather than going off of youtube videos or assumptions lol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

also how many people who have posted on this page about AoT have actually interacted with more than a season or handful of chapters of it rather than going off of youtube videos or assumptions lol
who the gently caress wants to watch aot

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a lot of people, turns out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Eren has some cool moments in Attack on Titan but there were several times where characters within the story would point out how loving broken of an individual Eren was and how dangerous that made him, despite the fact that his powers were useful. Arguably the most popular character in the series has a page early-on in the run of the manga saying "Eren is a loving monster and there's little anyone can do to stop him should he decide to turn on all of us."

AoT is not a great series but the author continuously peppered the story with numerous instances of Eren being the kind of person that would turn into a genocidal piece of poo poo. And, to Isayama's credit, it also never tries to explain that Eren was justified or right in his decisions either. Eren's actions bought their nation 50 or 60 years before it gets unceremoniously bombed back into the stone age anyways.