Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I didn't even know that was a thing and make no special preparations. Am I a mutant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/leprosy-may-be-endemic-florida-cdc-rcna97567

quote:

The authors of the new report suggested that doctors and other health professionals should think of leprosy as a potential diagnosis for patients who have spent time in Central Florida.

"Travel to this area, even in the absence of other risk factors, should prompt consideration of leprosy," the report said.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
it's only fitting for a christofascist state in the making.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Follow up your trip to Disney World with a stay in Molokai.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Aphrodite posted:

I didn't even know that was a thing and make no special preparations. Am I a mutant?

It only became a problem for me as I got older and fatter.

Time will take you, my friend. Time will take us all.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

At this point my wife doesn't even bat an eye to come out of the bathroom and find me balanced against the bed, legs up, gooch unashamedly pointed at god's face, happily powdering away.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

What do y'all two-leggers without pop rock joints use for blisters these days, anyhow? A friend is asking and I have no idea what's on the market that holds up these days.

KT tape is good when it's a place that's too awkward or impractical for moleskin and you just need an extra layer. Nexcare (and probably some other pharma bandage companies) also make some thick waterproof adhesive tape that can be cut to size, and it'll hold pretty well on a spot that's rubbing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Aphrodite posted:

I'm one of those weak Europeans you mentioned and none of these things are necessary for me.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

Coasterphreak posted:

October really is not bad, it just feels like regular summertime in places that aren’t Florida.

It’s July and August where you’d have to pay me to go anywhere near Florida, and it would have to be a remarkable amount of money.

I was working at Fry Basket at EPCOT yesterday and it was 105 inside the booth even with six ceiling fans going. Weather is terrible right now.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

We went to Epcot for some F&W on Saturday and it was too hot to eat, sweat was just pouring down from our faces. Truly awful

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

We had our annual trip to Cedar Point earlier this week. As always, it's a nearly perfect amusement park (I'm biased). I got to see some of the preliminary construction as they redo Top Thrill Dragster, and there's a lot of positive buzz in that area of the park. The revamped Boardwalk area has a nice "theme" going, the rides they moved around look great with their touch-ups, and the new pavilion is a wonderful place to relax. The new Wild Mouse is hit or miss. With its free-spinning car design, your ride can be drastically different depending on weight distribution of the riders. One ride can be nice and smooth, and the next can be a constant-spinning hell, whipping you around every turn. My 5yo son's review was "I will never ride this again in my life." Millennium Force remains the best rollercoaster. If you ever go to Cedar Point, do yourself a favor and stay onsite at Hotel Breakers.

Our annual trip has started falling at the same time that the LeBron James Family Foundation has their annual "reunion" at Cedar Point. I think it's great what his foundation does, but they are the rudest, most obnoxious park-goers. Jumping queues, shoving through crowds, taunting employees, calling other park-goers names, making TikTok's on rides doing stupid / dangerous poo poo, etc. Just all the crap you hate about park assholes but hundreds of them all on the same day wearing the same shirts. We've been going on/around my mom's birthday since I was 3, but we may have to move our dates because we're starting to get fed up with our trip coinciding with that.

In other news, our home park - Kings Island - is revamping their kids' area and adding a kid-friendly boomerang coaster, which will be great for my 8yo daughter as she transitions from being too big for the kids' rides but still too scared for the adult rides.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 10, 2023

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I have literally never had a good experience with large groups in same colored shirts. Doesn’t matter the purpose, unless somebody has a really identifying feature like a body modification or whatever it’s very easy to act like a shithead and disappear into the crowd where security can’t pinpoint you.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Alright wdw don't release that hatbox tiki mug 3rd edition today please I'm overtired

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Upsidads posted:

Alright wdw don't release that hatbox tiki mug 3rd edition today please I'm overtired

It only released in DL when it did to coincide with the anniversary of Mansion's original opening. If we get it it'll probably be for September-October time frame.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So the heat index is 121 today. How long before Disney closes down outdoor attractions or has to pay hazard pay for outdoors workers? This is completely unsustainable.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Bottom Liner posted:

So the heat index is 121 today. How long before Disney closes down outdoor attractions or has to pay hazard pay for outdoors workers? This is completely unsustainable.

The former will start when they begin getting a bunch of bad press because of the number of people collapsing in the heat.

The latter will never happen because lol Florida.

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Millennium Force remains the best rollercoaster.

That's a funny way to spell Steel Vengeance.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Coasterphreak posted:

The latter will never happen because lol Florida.
The latter will never happen because it’s an explicit, direct acknowledgment that being in the park is unsafe.
The former allows a little wiggle room on that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I mean, they close the parks for tropical storm warnings from e NWS, so having to act on extreme heat warnings from the same agency isn't the most far fetched idea.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

darkspider42 posted:

That's a funny way to spell Steel Vengeance.

I believe it’s pronounced Maverick

steel vengeance was under construction when we were at Cedar Point, but as great as Millie is, Maverick is still better

RMC really hasn’t made a bad coaster though.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Bottom Liner posted:

I mean, they close the parks for tropical storm warnings from e NWS, so having to act on extreme heat warnings from the same agency isn't the most far fetched idea.

I was thinking more or less the same thing, with the main problem being it’s much harder to predict heat index ahead of time (ie a day in advance) and shuttering some or all of the park in the middle of the operating day presents huge logistical challenges.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's true, but also the reason this extreme heat will injure and kill more people in the parks.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Let's be real, there is no solution here. Summers will become increasingly inhospitable until the park eventually has to shut down between June and August and Disney finally starts pricing out land in South Carolina or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They can just but the entire state of Wyoming; 14 people live there.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
What actually wouldn’t surprise me is seeing heavy discounts on resorts and even park tickets if summertime attendance keeps tracking the way it has this year. At some point people will be willing to suffer if it means they can knock hundreds of dollars off the cost of their family vacation.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

We were miserable the whole time and little Timmy nearly died of heat stroke, but I think back fondly on the discounts.

(you're totally right and people would go for that, but it's still funny to me. My family went on one vacation that ended up being during a heat wave in the low 100s, and it became legendary as the most we ever hated each other)

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Let's be real, there is no solution here. Summers will become increasingly inhospitable until the park eventually has to shut down between June and August and Disney finally starts pricing out land in South Carolina or something.

I spent more time down at UO than normal this summer since I needed to be within a reasonable driving distance of my parents in Charleston and 6 hours is about that. It was way hotter (both in Charleston and Orlando) than last year. Hell, I live in North Texas and it's absolutely molten here since July. The volume of '100 degree days' is lower than last year, but what's missing from that is the temperature is more in a range of 106-112 rather than like, 100-102 and boy that makes a huge difference. I don't think there's a fix to this anywhere that Disney could afford to buy enough land to build a two or three gate park.

What's interesting is the dates for Not So Scary are selling very well. We weren't planning on going because the only day that would line up for us when we're in town is Labor Day and absolutely not. We opted to do a no park hop MK day instead on that Tuesday. I think there is going to be a September bounce back with attendance, but it's still going to be hot as hell. I'd be curious to see the attendance numbers for this summer compared to last year or 2019 for sure. UO seemed way busier to me, but that's anecdotal. I fully expect that Disney's attendance is gonna pick up this fall.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's nothing in between Toronto and Vancouver and soon they won't have winters anymore either.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

There's nothing in between Toronto and Vancouver and soon they won't have winters anymore either.

the fact that they let things like winter stop them from building theme parks kinda breaks my brain. I'd love to go to a northern theme park during winter because it'd actually be comfortable, you know?

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Aphrodite posted:

I'll never understand how there isn't Harry Potter parks in the North.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Diabetic posted:

I'll never understand how there isn't Harry Potter parks in the North.

Surely, for all that they're paying that awful person, Universal has that locked down tight?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I love the Winterfest at my local park. I wish it lasted longer.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

the fact that they let things like winter stop them from building theme parks kinda breaks my brain. I'd love to go to a northern theme park during winter because it'd actually be comfortable, you know?
Do you live above the snowline?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Snow management is a real issue. Have you seen any videos of the armies they have to hire to clear snow before game day at outdoor stadiums? Now scale that up to theme park level, except every day unless either a) you switch to limited operating days or b) you just randomly close and ruin people’s vacations when it dumps six inches of snow with a quarter inch of ice on top.

Also pretty much every ride would have to be completely indoors, because most attractions can’t operate when it’s too cold (think below freezing).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

And I asked if you have experience with winter weather because, like... if you've never touched freezing metal with your bare skin, I can assure you that "comfortable" is an incorrect descriptor.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I wonder if Universal is going to quietly cancel that weird park they were planning in North Texas. Summers suck here and we have no infrastructure to handle a yearly ice storm- sounds like a bad time!!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I went to Paris in late March one time and while it was okay, if a little chilly, to walk around... getting on roller coasters was the opposite of comfortable. Also because of what you're doing you really can't just jam on a hat and scarf without risking being the reason the ride shuts down all day.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Iirc Dollywood has the most operating days of any park that’s not in a snow free climate, and even then they still only hit ~280 calendar days. Cedar Fair is trying to make Carowinds and Kings Dominion “year round,” but really that still means weekends only for a significant part of the year because of staffing issues.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

CapnAndy posted:

And I asked if you have experience with winter weather because, like... if you've never touched freezing metal with your bare skin, I can assure you that "comfortable" is an incorrect descriptor.

I grew up and lived thru my 20s in Michigan. People adapt. We would spend entire days outside when it was 5 degrees. As long as you wear proper clothing, its fine. It's nothing like where I live now (NC) where you just have to stay inside all day from March to October.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People who live where it's only warm are weak. You need cold to temper steel or something probably idk I'm not a blacksmith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Surely, for all that they're paying that awful person, Universal has that locked down tight?

I'm sure Harry Potter ain't going anywhere, especially now they are doing a reboot for some reason.

I feel really bad for a lot of those areas where it does snow etc which are a LOT of fly over states. Give these poor bastards something, I know in parts it is Tornado Alley and it's loving cold, but the only thing to look at between Vegas and the Mississippi is a mountain with dead white dudes on it.