Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
So I've been thinking of getting a NAS to rip and store my growing Blu-Ray collection (which I've roughly calculated at 225 Blu-Ray discs and 45 UHD discs (not including the 1080p versions)). Going by the maximum of each disc size (from BD-25 to BD-100) I reckon it would use about 16TB of storage. I'd also like to be able to stream my own music collection to my mobile when I'm out, but I don't think I would stream movies so probably don't need transcoding capabilities?

Allowing for future growth (and I've been buying a lot of discs lately) I'm thinking 3x14TB disks in RAID5 should last me for a while and looking at Synology's 5/6-bay options there's the DS1522+ or the DS1621+ and not much else? I've also had a look at the QNAP options and they seem to be much dearer for the same feature set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Look at the cost per terabyte, it might make sense to go for 16 or 18 TB drives instead. You want to run RAID5.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Paul MaudDib posted:

that sounds like a SOC/system agent that is not quite stable

could be a lot of reasons (bclk overclocking, memory overclocking/fabric overclocking, etc) but that's essentially the same failure mode early X99 had (for probably different reasons)

Could be, though we've tested at bios default settings (and even with the basic dynamic overclocking disabled), which made no difference. A couple of different bios versions, too, just in case.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

Wibla posted:

Look at the cost per terabyte, it might make sense to go for 16 or 18 TB drives instead. You want to run RAID5.

If he goes for a Synology NAS, he probably should use SHR right?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Flyndre posted:

If he goes for a Synology NAS, he probably should use SHR right?

Yeah, that's a good point.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So I want to get a UPS for brownouts/power outages. I'm thinking of getting the CyberPower EC650LCD, It will need to power the DS1522+, and a switch. Is that overkill? I want it to maybe last for a short brownout, and shut down gracefully before the battery runs out. Should I use another company? I know Cyberpower had a problem with their batteries catching fire at some point, but it seems to be two edge cages for different models.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So I want to get a UPS for brownouts/power outages. I'm thinking of getting the CyberPower EC650LCD, It will need to power the DS1522+, and a switch. Is that overkill? I want it to maybe last for a short brownout, and shut down gracefully before the battery runs out. Should I use another company? I know Cyberpower had a problem with their batteries catching fire at some point, but it seems to be two edge cages for different models.

I have 8 or so cyberpowers and they've been fine (luckily mine seem to not be models with the issue with the shorting cables). I have a couple of APCs, too, and they've also been solid but cost a little more. The main thing I look for is to get one with AVR which is automatic voltage regulation. Basically if it senses the voltage being too high or low from your wall it will use UPS power to correct it. This can be useful for brownouts and other situations that aren't a complete outage. I believe the Cyberpower AVR 685 is the smallest one with that feature and prices seem a little high right now but I own a couple of them and they've been good (relegated to my 3d printers at the moment).
https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP685AVRG-System-Outlets-Compact/dp/B00095W91O/

I've bought refurbished UPSes a few times because it seems like half of the price is shipping the things with lead acid batteries in them and the current good deal seems to be this AVR 850VA on woot (shipping's free if you have amazon prime):
https://computers.woot.com/offers/cyberpower-cp850avrlcd-intelligent-lcd-ups-system

Either of those options are overkill for the amount of load you will put on them but they will run longer with no power if the battery is larger. Basically they shoot for 5 minutes at estimated power draw and more for less, so you may get 15+ minutes if you're just sipping watts.

If I'm shopping for one for a PC I try to get one with pure sine wave output so it plays nice with modern power supplies but that shouldn't be an issue for your NAS and network devices. It's not a big problem if you draw half of the rated wattage or less.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Make sure it's on the Synology compatibility list so that the UPS shuts it down when the battery gets low. I just recently snagged an APC BE600M1 off Newegg for $60. Had to connect it to the front USB port of the NAS (rear USB not functioning or something.....haven't looked into it yet)....but it was real easy to get it set up through the DSM.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Make sure it's on the Synology compatibility list so that the UPS shuts it down when the battery gets low. I just recently snagged an APC BE600M1 off Newegg for $60. Had to connect it to the front USB port of the NAS (rear USB not functioning or something.....haven't looked into it yet)....but it was real easy to get it set up through the DSM.

Thanks for pointing out the compatibility list.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Any Unraid users have issues with Windows 11 VMs (or Windows VMs in general) freezing up after being idle for a bit? I have a VM with a GT1030 passed through connected to an AVR via HDMI. Sleep is off as well "turn screen off after". I'd like to be able to just swap to that HDMI input and have the VM available, but my experience has been after the VM has been idle for a bit it becomes unresponsive while at the same time pegging all the CPU cores I've assigned to the VM. I have to Force Stop then Start the VM to get it up and running again. I'll either get what was last displayed (e.g. WIndows desktop or a frame from a screen saver) or a black screen when returning the the VM. It seems unrelated to the AVR as it's happened regardless of whether the AVR inputs were changed, AVR turned off, or GT1030 input being selected the entire time. Any ideas? One thing I've tried is adding some <timer> and children of <hyperv> to the VM config per and unraid forum post, but that hasn't seemed to help.

e: I spun up an Ubuntu VM and it doesn't have this issue. Might try out W10 to see if it's just an issue I'm having with W11, but also might just roll with Ubuntu going forward.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 5, 2023

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Looking for advice concerning my Synology NAS, which is just a simple DS120j with a single SATA SSD installed.

That drive is just about full, so I got a bigger one. What's the best way to clone old to new?

I have a SATA-USB adapter, can I plug it in there and then use one of the Synology apps to clone it, then shut it down and install the new drive? If so, which app?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Not of any help, but if you wanna dig into it.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/test/wpt/windows-performance-recorder

Fire that up then let it fall asleep.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

mega pool achieved

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Windows 98 posted:

mega pool achieved

:sickos: I'm finally approaching filling my DS4246 but I'm definitely never going beyond a single enclosure; if I start running low on disk space I'll move up from 10TB disks.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Windows 98 posted:

mega pool achieved

My dude I think you should make each vdev raidz2. You don't want to sit there restoring all that from backup if you get a double failure

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

My dude I think you should make each vdev raidz2. You don't want to sit there restoring all that from backup if you get a double failure

I absolutely agree. ZFS scrub makes this slightly safer than some RAID5 implementations, but given that IIRC you have some sensitivity to data loss on this pool, don't risk it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hardware RAID5 (and software RAID5) also struggles a lot with write-holes, which raidz doesn't have either.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I've had a second drive fail during a raid6 rebuild before.

But hey.

No worries!

:laffo:

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

yolo

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Exactly. You only live once, so you don't want to waste that life dealing with data loss

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
I'm currently running OpenMediaVault on a VM on proxmox, with a IT mode flashed raid controller passed through to it. I currently run software raid5 with it, but NFS keeps breaking and annoying me.

Does anyone have recommendations for alternative NAS software to run, or perhaps a guide to follow just to set it up myself? I could be interested in ZFS but not sure if it's worth it to me with my 2x14tb 1x12tb (will get a fourth soon).

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Unraid trial

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I could not be happier with UnRaid after using OMV for a year

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Out of curiosity, those of you with that size (>100tb) used storage, what is the use case? What are you storing?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Wrong thread.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 11, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

VelociBacon posted:

Out of curiosity, those of you with that size (>100tb) used storage, what is the use case? What are you storing?

A fairly broad selection of exome and whole genome sequences from TCGA plus a whole load of our internal sequencing/array/3D microscopy data, and a bunch of other junk. Everything important also lives somewhere else, but having a smb+nfs server online on the work network is nice.

This is at work, though; we're under 10TB at home.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Computer viking posted:

A fairly broad selection of exome and whole genome sequences from TCGA plus a whole load of our internal sequencing/array/3D microscopy data, and a bunch of other junk. Everything important also lives somewhere else, but having a smb+nfs server online on the work network is nice.

This is at work, though; we're under 10TB at home.

Yeah I should have specified home use although I am interested also in large scale storage uses in industry.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Some people are serious about their Linux iso collection

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
If you host a Plex server and setup Overseerr to take requests and automate it to connect to Radarr and Sonarr (private trackers sold separately), you'll eventually wake up one day and realize you have 100tb of content that you have no idea where it came from or who wanted it in the first place.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Talorat posted:

If you host a Plex server and setup Overseerr to take requests and automate it to connect to Radarr and Sonarr (private trackers sold separately), you'll eventually wake up one day and realize you have 100tb of content that you have no idea where it came from or who wanted it in the first place.

Hell sometimes something will pop up on my Plex that I put on a watch list 6 weeks ago then forgot about and there's always a brief flash of 'what the hell is this have I been hacked :ohdear: ' before looking back and seeing no, my dumb rear end just forgot.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Takes No Damage posted:

Hell sometimes something will pop up on my Plex that I put on a watch list 6 weeks ago then forgot about and there's always a brief flash of 'what the hell is this have I been hacked :ohdear: ' before looking back and seeing no, my dumb rear end just forgot.
Same.

A visual approximation of how content ends up in my Plex library:

Me: :f5h::350:
The -arrs: :awesomelon::filez:
Me: :tviv:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

wolrah posted:

Same.

A visual approximation of how content ends up in my Plex library:

Me: :f5h::350:
The -arrs: :awesomelon::filez:
Me: :tviv:

Overseer has made monsters of us all

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

Nice try cop!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The highest quality Linux ISOs are clocking in at 50-80 GB a pop these days. That can eat through seemingly large array sizes faster than expected. Life's too short to be using low quality Linux installs.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Look, FreeBSD has had a lot of -RELEASEs over the years, and all of the high-quality ISOs take up a lot of space.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If there's anyone else who has been playing around with PCIe passthrough on consumer platforms and wishes they could spend fewer slots on GPUs, particularly with TrueNAS which insists on having at least two if it's going to pass one through, you might be able to make use of an x1 GF 520:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374796730014

I just got one to try and it works for the management console in my X570 board, so I plan to do that going forward and free up a full length slot for something else. They seem to be relatively uncommon and there are only 2 left of the original 10 offered in this listing, so I figured another opportunity might not appear soon and it could be worth mentioning.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Is there a recommended NAS appliance that is capable of 4k+ Plex transcoding + streaming (just a single personal stream is fine) and provides generalized Linux access (i.e. I can throw whatever other servers, etc. I want onto it without having to learn some new proprietary OS)? I'm looking to store a relatively small amount, like 20TB or so. I don't want to build my own – compactness is a must.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

unpurposed posted:

Is there a recommended NAS appliance that is capable of 4k+ Plex transcoding + streaming (just a single personal stream is fine) and provides generalized Linux access (i.e. I can throw whatever other servers, etc. I want onto it without having to learn some new proprietary OS)? I'm looking to store a relatively small amount, like 20TB or so. I don't want to build my own – compactness is a must.

I wonder if just grabbing one of the Hp smaller PC's is worth it and sticking 2 10tb drives is worth it. Something like this. I am sure it can fit a single full size HDD and an SSD, not sure about 2 full size HDDs though but HP and Dell both make some fairly small ones like this that probably fit the bill.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1157770752...%3ABFBM-vPamLxi

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

When I die I plan on leaving a Henry Darger style legacy and need a lot of space to do it ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

unpurposed posted:

https://ca.protectli.com