Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Bell telephone workers. No danger from the height but if those ladders start to move, someone's gonna be doing the splits. Not quite sure what he's doing there really. Bonus points for the supervisor checking Chaturbate or whatever.
edit: top of the page, top of the ladder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

the yeti posted:

I imagine he did a very good job balancing the material but also lathes are built absurdly heavy (steel and cast iron not titanium) for that reason and I assume it’s secured to the concrete floor in a way that’s more elaborate than just some bolts driven in

You can see the mounting plates where the bolts are driven in. I'm guessing it's a combination of very carefully balancing the wood on that in the first place, and the lathe itself weighing about as much as a Range Rover.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

haveblue posted:

Yeah, titanium is used not because it's stronger than steel but because it weighs less at the same strength. That's worth a lot if you're building an airplane, not so much for a floor-mounted power tool

Titanium is also somewhat springy isn't it? So it would deflect when tools are applied to cut. Cast iron or steel will do that a negligible amount in most cases. Titanium is also expensive as gently caress steel and iron cheap

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Binary Logic posted:

Bell telephone workers. No danger from the height but if those ladders start to move, someone's gonna be doing the splits. Not quite sure what he's doing there really. Bonus points for the supervisor checking Chaturbate or whatever.

One guy working, one guy watching, one guy practicing his acrobatics. Incredible.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

I like how the supervisor is supervising his high score in candy crush.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

minato posted:

quote:

The decision was predominantly steered by the public inquiry into the King's Cross fire which claimed the lives of 31 people.

One hell of a dangerous inquiry!

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Cartoon Man posted:

I like how the supervisor is supervising his high score in candy crush.

Hell yeah lol

If OP hadn't have posted it was Bell doing the work I was gonna ask which local govt maintenance team was doing these shenanigans

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

minato posted:

:stonk: aaaaaarrrghh

I remember riding these back in the early 2000s. Looks like it took until 2014 to replace them all.

Well there's your problem did an episode on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciF1p_GMrmw

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Binary Logic posted:

Isn't it obvious? He's keeping the uneven ladder on the left stable by grabbing onto it and the other ladder. Why make an easy task more complicated, eh?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Perestroika posted:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/322221601871364096/1138794690766966825/nope.mp4

I hadn't known you could just shape aluminium by sort of squishing it against a mold on a lathe, that's pretty clever. Meanwhile that can-opener looking contraption they use to circularize the sheets seems like it's just hungering for fingers.

These videos are always loving nuts to watch

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The most insane part about those "pakistani street workshop" videos is the fact that whatever theyre turning out is evidently sold in enough volume to keep the business afloat. Guys casually sandcasting massive helical gears in a literal hole in the floor and then hand finishing them on a shaper? Yeah we sell 17 of those a day.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
What if these videos are just staged to get views from dumb westerners on ticktock?

Unperson_47 posted:

These videos are always loving nuts to watch

Yeah at least for they're always impressive both in terms of skills and the health and safety situation.

Spinning metal is pretty fascinating, I first saw how that works from This Old Tony a few years ago which might be interesting as he explains it as dummy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FgXTi2ikvA

I do wonder why they aren't using circular molds for the molten aluminum. Wouldn't it let them skip the step with the can opener and save on recycling the leftover?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
What if these videos are just staged to get views from dumb westerners on ticktock?

Yeah at least for they're always impressive both in terms of skills and the health and safety situation.

Spinning metal is pretty fascinating, I first saw how that works from This Old Tony a few years ago which might be interesting as he explains it as dummy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FgXTi2ikvA

I do wonder why they aren't using circular molds for the molten aluminum. Wouldn't it let them skip the step with the can opener and save on recycling the leftover?

They'd probably not flatten to the large circles and would instead be stretched ovals since they're rolling it twice to flatten it. It's easier to get squarish shapes, and it doesn't matter how perfect they are the circles will be the same size every time after cutting.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rz3yidO5LO1r0uzl6.mp4

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
if you haven't seen the full video of that one, their first attempt has the katanas strapped in by the wooden handles and it immediately sends swords flying at high speeds in every direction, causing the boys to sheepishly realize they just nearly died.

an attitude that came up again in a more recent video, where they made a giant blender and then when something went wrong the e-stop wouldn't work.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

LvK posted:

an attitude that came up again in a more recent video, where they made a giant blender and then when something went wrong the e-stop wouldn't work.

Still boggles the mind that their emergency stop wasn't just a big switch between the power cable.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CommieGIR posted:

Well there's your problem did an episode on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciF1p_GMrmw

Ooh, did the obnoxious Twitter stalker woman laugh about all the dead people because she assumed they were landlords?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Twitter stalker woman

buh?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

that podcast is unlistenable because the hosts other than the dude who talks all the time and actually knows things just want to interrupt and make bad jokes every ten seconds

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

that podcast is unlistenable because the hosts other than the dude who talks all the time and actually knows things just want to interrupt and make bad jokes every ten seconds

the solo eps are soooooo much better

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://twitter.com/StrictlyChristo/status/1689356760476499968
:stare:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

This is completely correct and I have never managed to listen to more than one of them as a result. I don't care how interesting it is, as soon as that idiot opens their mouth it's ruined.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^

Yeah, those dumb westerners, wanting to see how a gear is made. THE FOOLS! Next these morans will want to watch how 20 ton ingots are forged. We can stage that easily!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just as a warning the full version of this that is going around has a dead body in it right after this part cuts off.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
A bit sensationalist but probably better than a lovely podcast should anyone actually be interested in the history around the Kings Cross escalator fire.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qgzC4wYn_3g&feature=shareb

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^

Can you make money from the tick tocks?

They make 17 cents a week putting their lives/health at risk so that a billion dollar company can sell a gear for 300 bucks, so they tick the tock and make 3 dollars a week. Thats probably like making 5Gs in a first world country.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

It was detailed upthread IIRC. She started harassing some woman in Iceland because renting out spare rooms to friends made her a landlord and thus deserving of death. Just an absolutely toxic individual to the point that I think it reflects extremely poorly on the guy who runs that show for keeping them on.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 10, 2023

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

It was detailed upthread IIRC. She started harassing some woman in Iceland because renting out spare rooms to friends made her a landlord and thus deserving of death. Just an absolutely toxic individual to the point that I think it reflects extremely poorly on the guy who runs that show for keeping them on.

and the third host is kinda listenable when he's sober and funny, but often sloppy drunk and making bad jokes.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i mean that does make her a landlord.

e: this is not an endorsement of harassing or murdering anybody

teemolover42069 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 10, 2023

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Perestroika posted:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/322221601871364096/1138794690766966825/nope.mp4

I hadn't known you could just shape aluminium by sort of squishing it against a mold on a lathe, that's pretty clever. Meanwhile that can-opener looking contraption they use to circularize the sheets seems like it's just hungering for fingers.

Man, that’s some “Out Our Way” poo poo right out of the cartoon megathread. 100 years ago they would have been cornering the market in spittoons.
From OOW:

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 10, 2023

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ooh, did the obnoxious Twitter stalker woman laugh about all the dead people because she assumed they were landlords?

Oh man, she has a Backpfeifengesicht. Also: ugh.
https://trashfuture.fandom.com/wiki/Alice_Caldwell-Kelly

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021
Ida-DOH, I dropped my Ipad

https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/07/14/fatal-helicopter-crash-likely-caused-by-dropped-ipad

The National Transportation Safety Board has found significant evidence that an iPad likely caused a fatal helicopter crash in Idaho in 2022.
In July 2022, a Boeing CH-47D had been filling its bucket on a long line in the Salmon River when it suddenly began spinning counter-clockwise. The helicopter then quickly descended and crashed into the river 13 seconds later.

Firefighters on scene managed to pull the pilot and co-pilot out of the wreckage, though both men later died from their injuries.

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) hasn't released an official statement on the incident yet. However, according to Vertical Mag, the public docket for the crash shows that the agency has found significant evidence to show that a dropped iPad was likely the cause.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/txgamxL.mp4
Watch this dude balance a coin right next to it.

Here’s what he made: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pFMxhx0LOos

How much blood does it take to satisfy this size of lathe?

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Beer_Suitcase posted:

How much blood does it take to satisfy this size of lathe?

How much blood do you got?

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Harry_Potato posted:

How much blood do you got?

What vintage? Ill have to check my stores

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

im currently listening to a less than 90 minute new there's youre problem episode about a railroad company and enjoying it

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/txgamxL.mp4
Watch this dude balance a coin right next to it.

Here’s what he made: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pFMxhx0LOos

hi, I'd like to order your most dangerous machine. no, that's too dangerous.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Every drat time :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That might be a better point if the podcast with his lovely cohosts hadn't completely derailed his excellent solo work.