Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
she was on a PIP so they'd already caught her and were just putting in the work to log her misconduct and boot her out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

StrangersInTheNight posted:

she was on a PIP so they'd already caught her and were just putting in the work to log her misconduct and boot her out.

Ultimately, getting her employer fined by a regulator because of something she didn't do was probably her undoing. The other stuff was just gathering evidence to make it watertight.

From another article, a quote from said lady:

quote:

Sometimes the workload is a bit slow, but I have never not worked. I mean, I may go to the shops from time to time, but that is not for the entire day.'

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah exactly - I don't think she was coming back once they were fined.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Man, all this new job talk...I really gotta get out of my current position. I'm now 5 years into a "temporary, 6-month" IT contracting assignment.

I just don't know how I'm ever going to get out. I kind of lucked into my current job despite having no real IT skills (beyond "better than the average person in Windows") when I was hired.

I was initially hired to do QA for the e-commerce team, but the company lost its biggest client about a year into my role and had to massively downsize, and I got shifted to the Managed Services team. From there, any skills I picked up were almost entirely just as-needed on the job, I have only done a few actual REAL training courses, but I felt like I was ;picking up some real sysadmin and lower-level systems engineering skills. But then a few years into that, I was told I needed to "fill in" at the (n ow largest) client we had, as an on-site desktop support tech, which is something I've never wanted to do. My previous role was maybe only 10-15% desktop (since the MSP-team had only 1 client we did desktop support for, everyone else was server/backup/monitoring support.) But now it's basically almost entirely desktop support. I've asked several times to get moved back to the MSP team, but they don't have enough clients to support another tech, especially since they'd also lose the 40 billable hours/week they can charge for me at Big Large Client. I asked about moving someone else to this team and I take their place, but I guess everyone else but me gets what they want when they say no, and I'm the one to get hosed over.

I have applied to other jobs off and on the last few years, a couple I've gotten to a second interview with, but they all went with someone else who, surprise surprise, had more skills/experience. I'm actively losing knowledge in this current position that I had because I'm just not in the same systems I used to use daily. Should I just start lying more on my resume/interviews? I feel like I'm perpetually stuck in that same catch-22 of "need experience for the job, need the job to get experience."

That being said, I don't think I want to do IT at all anymore. Never really wanted to do it in the first place, but got stuck in a rut, and I'm barely qualified to do it, but I've been stuck here ten years, so I don't think I'm remotely qualified to do anything else at this point...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DrBouvenstein posted:

I have applied to other jobs off and on the last few years, a couple I've gotten to a second interview with, but they all went with someone else who, surprise surprise, had more skills/experience. I'm actively losing knowledge in this current position that I had because I'm just not in the same systems I used to use daily. Should I just start lying more on my resume/interviews? I feel like I'm perpetually stuck in that same catch-22 of "need experience for the job, need the job to get experience."

That being said, I don't think I want to do IT at all anymore. Never really wanted to do it in the first place, but got stuck in a rut, and I'm barely qualified to do it, but I've been stuck here ten years, so I don't think I'm remotely qualified to do anything else at this point...
If you're talking to real human hiring managers and not getting filtered by HR you're usually past the point where lies fly. Or if they keep flying at that point you probably don't want that job.

Don't sell yourself short - make sure you come with canned real life stories of using the technology (or it's nearest neighbor), canned real life stories of soft skills (which at your length of time should be leadership, managerial etc. focused as it may be easier to break into a lead job and learn the technology), and familiarize yourself with the topics of the year for the technology.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Your eternal reminder that if you are ever put on or close to be put on a PIP put all effort into getting a job before hr gets their ducks in a row to fire your rear end.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
We got a new one today and everyone is pissed off about it

WE get precious little Paid Time Off (PTO) as it is and are open most holidays, several of which are called "blackout days" which means if you call out you get Super Dinged on your attendance score and usually will also be denied a request for that day off.

Now, depending on how busy we are, often many of us are offered "EO", or Early Out. Basically when we have nothing to do and are sitting around with our thumbs up our rear end with no customers. Think waiting tables in a restaurant that's having a slow dinner rush. We take the early out, exchanging hourly pay for some free time and it's win/win but NOW, with the New Plan, if we accept the EO, it applies to our paid time off hours.

So this results (at least in my case) in me refusing the EO, my company paying me to do absolutely nothing for more hours and, if I'm calculating this right, costing the company more money.

I had another job before this one that did this poo poo. If we worked 38.5 hours for whatever reason one week (doctor appt, stuck in traffic, sick kid), they'd automatically add 1.5 hours of paid time off for that week and we'd lose that time. Sometimes, we just shut down 2 hours early because there was no work and were FORCED to lose that time. They'd calculate this poo poo down to fractions of an hour and track every dime. They also made us select ALL of our vacation time/days in January, which is utterly insane. How the gently caress do I know what days I might need off in November in January? Sure, I already know when a hurricane might hit, my kid might get sick, his mom is called out of town for her job or when my stepfather in a state 400 miles away might have surgery.

Why, yes, I do work in an At Will Employment/RIght to Work State. Why do you ask?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Imagine working in the US. Seems like a bad time.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

We got a new one today and everyone is pissed off about it

WE get precious little Paid Time Off (PTO) as it is and are open most holidays, several of which are called "blackout days" which means if you call out you get Super Dinged on your attendance score and usually will also be denied a request for that day off.

Now, depending on how busy we are, often many of us are offered "EO", or Early Out. Basically when we have nothing to do and are sitting around with our thumbs up our rear end with no customers. Think waiting tables in a restaurant that's having a slow dinner rush. We take the early out, exchanging hourly pay for some free time and it's win/win but NOW, with the New Plan, if we accept the EO, it applies to our paid time off hours.

So this results (at least in my case) in me refusing the EO, my company paying me to do absolutely nothing for more hours and, if I'm calculating this right, costing the company more money.

I had another job before this one that did this poo poo. If we worked 38.5 hours for whatever reason one week (doctor appt, stuck in traffic, sick kid), they'd automatically add 1.5 hours of paid time off for that week and we'd lose that time. Sometimes, we just shut down 2 hours early because there was no work and were FORCED to lose that time. They'd calculate this poo poo down to fractions of an hour and track every dime. They also made us select ALL of our vacation time/days in January, which is utterly insane. How the gently caress do I know what days I might need off in November in January? Sure, I already know when a hurricane might hit, my kid might get sick, his mom is called out of town for her job or when my stepfather in a state 400 miles away might have surgery.

Why, yes, I do work in an At Will Employment/RIght to Work State. Why do you ask?

what the gently caress? gently caress this job. leaving early without getting paid comes out of your PAID time off? that is utterly deranged and anyone who expresses support for it should be locked in a crystal and flung into outer space

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
^^ What in the absolute gently caress? You don't get paid for 'paid timemoff'? That can't be legal.

:thermidor:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Should I just start lying more on my resume/interviews?

Absolutely not. What you should do is reevaluate and interpret your skillset and experience so human resources can better understand what you bring to the table and help them recruit a valuable employee.

Also, during interviews lowkey ask them what they're looking for. Eg: If you hired me, what skillsets and qualifications should I pursue to continue adding value to the company? Then use weasel-words to put that on your resume for the next company.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 10, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

teemolover42069 posted:

what the gently caress? gently caress this job. leaving early without getting paid comes out of your PAID time off? that is utterly deranged and anyone who expresses support for it should be locked in a crystal and flung into outer space

That's how we feel too.

It's made WORSE because the supervisors are ASKING US if we want to leave early. On days when we're legit not doing anything at all. Again, think: being a waiter in a restaurant with zero customers and 5 servers with nothing to do.

Yeah, it sucks and is stupid. Which is why I figured I'd post it here.

My plan is to just get paid for doing nothing, moving forward, until they realize how much money it's costing them. I mostly like the job but at least once a month they do something to take a giant poo poo on their workers and then scratch their heads about our high turnover rate and bitch about nobody wanting to work anymore.

Kids these days and poo poo.

Florida can't possibly be the only place where this is common practice but maybe so.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

LionYeti posted:

Your eternal reminder that if you are ever put on or close to be put on a PIP put all effort into getting a job before hr gets their ducks in a row to fire your rear end.

The fact she was underperforming, cost the company money via a regulator fine, and was presented with evidence that she did little to nothing for dozens of days and still went to the Fair Work Commission (representing herself) is kind of astonishing to me. Lady, maybe cut your losses here.

Now her name is being used in headlines across Australia as the person who went shopping on work time. A google of her name brings up a deleted LinkedIn. Finding a job is challenging enough without this attached to your name.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

That's how we feel too.

It's made WORSE because the supervisors are ASKING US if we want to leave early. On days when we're legit not doing anything at all. Again, think: being a waiter in a restaurant with zero customers and 5 servers with nothing to do.

My plan is to just get paid for doing nothing, moving forward, until they realize how much money it's costing them. I mostly like the job but at least once a month they do something to take a giant poo poo on their workers and then scratch their heads about our high turnover rate and bitch about nobody wanting to work anymore.

Florida can't possibly be the only place where this is common practice but maybe so.

Yup, time for you to sit around twiddling your thumbs rather then give them a minute of your PTO

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

BitBasher posted:

Never ever assume that. That is not true. There are a number of security appliances that have essentially a built in man in the middle and read your traffic anyway. They intercept the secure traffic request, replace it with their own and send it on your behalf. This makes the traffic encrypted to their security appliance and not your computer. Then they pass you a secure connection from the appliance to your computer meaning you see it as a secure connection. Never ever assume your secure connections are really secure. I administer Forcepoint appliances that do that, among others.

It's a company sanctioned man in the middle and they can read all your traffic.

Only on work provided devices with a preinstalled root certificate, or if you jump through hoops to add it yourself. Even then there are exceptions - chrome is not super happy about Google domains where the CA is not Google, no matter what certs you add.

If you just connect your private phone or laptop to a network with this sort of setup, it will be very unhappy. (We use PaloAlto at work.)

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

BiggerBoat posted:

That's how we feel too.

No. In my experience, this happens in Tennessee and Texas. Possibly Kansas.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

BiggerBoat posted:

That's how we feel too.

It's made WORSE because the supervisors are ASKING US if we want to leave early.

Always respond "Not if it uses PTO" so you remind them of the problem every time they ask.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Costco requires its (food) suppliers to pay overtime on a 1-minute basis. Sometimes suppliers get dropped because they can't/won't comply.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

My first official day at my new job is next Monday but they've already sent me electronic forms to sign including, of course, my employment contract. Everything seems great about it! The benefits are, relatively, generous and everything seems to be a complete 180 from my previous employer. Awesome!

Except, it states my employment is at-will. Not even for a probationary period, I can be fired at any time for any legal reason for the entirety of my time being employed there. When I asked HR about whether or not this was probationary they said it was not and that they do it because California "is an at-will state."

Unless I am misinformed/ignorant here California ALLOWS you to do this lovely practice but there is nothing stopping you from NOT doing it, which feels like an important distinction. How people think this state is full of communists is wild we literally have some of the most regressive laws.

Edit: Having done digging on glassdoor it appears the company doesn't have a particularly itchy trigger finger and is generally very good to their employees but the language just irked me a bit.

Like 99% of jobs are "at will" so I wouldn't sweat it

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Thesaurus posted:

Like 99% of jobs are "at will" so I wouldn't sweat it

In America maybe

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Try to uh, just leave AND get paid. Will they notice you’re missing?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I use the company WiFi but I'm also 1/2 of the IT department. I know we don't track poo poo because today we had an outage and when I called our networking contractor he complained that the firewall log was so full of people trying to connect to Facebook that the log didn't go back the 45min to when the network lost connectivity. When he sent me a text file of the log I saw that it was in fact mostly my own computer constantly trying to connect to play.google.com and I honestly don't know what is doing that.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
one of the agents on my team who has attendance problems to the point that they're probably gonna get fired soon, said their wifi went out today and that's why they weren't on. but we could see their computer was still online and connected to our network :negative: like if you're going to bullshit us please at least unplug your computer. we can loving tell. you really think we can't tell????

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Chewbecca posted:

This woman was taking the piss at work and it came back to bite her in the arse. The exact type of person who fucks up wfh for everyone else!

I gotta say as a not wfh blue collar employee kind of guy the presence of wfh talk on these forums makes it genuinely look like people in these positions simply don't do anything to justify their salary in a general sense. I genuinely do empathize and understand with the concept of taking advantage of your employer when you get a chance but the reality is this extra work from lack of engagement tends to trickle down to people already dicked over by the system rather than as a grandiose stand against lovely bosses. In the years I've worked at my current job p much everything admins "do" has been passed off onto the field workers, with no extra compensation. From timecards to billing to vehicle inspections to talking with clients over scheduling/submitting finalized reports there were numerous tasks that have been "optimized" by the wfh crowd into the people they were supposed to support simply doing the work for them. These positions haven't been downsized or anything, they simply exist while seemingly not contributing anything anymore.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Atopian posted:

1: if you join your device to a secured company wifi network but don't do anything else special, then they probably can sniff your stuff if they make an effort,

Incorrect.

Atopian posted:

3: if the process of joining your device to the network involves "letting IT set up your device" in some special way, assume that your device has been pwned.

Sure.

edit: gently caress, beaten

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 10, 2023

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

teemolover42069 posted:

one of the agents on my team who has attendance problems to the point that they're probably gonna get fired soon, said their wifi went out today and that's why they weren't on. but we could see their computer was still online and connected to our network :negative: like if you're going to bullshit us please at least unplug your computer. we can loving tell. you really think we can't tell????

lol oh no

I don't think a lot of people appreciate how much data is a dead give away

I assume my workplaces see and know all. If I'm offline then my work comp is off and I never use company computers for job searching or applications

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BitBasher posted:

Always respond "Not if it uses PTO" so you remind them of the problem every time they ask.

Way ahead of you. Only problem is that I'm not one of those people who just likes to sit there, mostly because the time moves so slow but also because I enjoy being engaged and challenged at my job. The sort of things most companies seem to want their workers to do. Guess I'll just do my security guard impression for 6 to 8 hours a week.

Bored posted:

No. In my experience, this happens in Tennessee and Texas. Possibly Kansas.

Add another red state to the list, I guess. You know. The states that don't want people to be lazy and get paid for doing nothing.

What we think happened here, as happens in a lot of companies, is some idiot in higher management thinks they found a way to gently caress us out of what minimal PTO we actually get and came up with a solution that will only result in most of us refusing the EO and adding to hours. Genius level management at work here, implemented by people paid to supposedly know better. Could be suggested by professional consultants but I don't think so since none of us got fired.

We're just going to work more hours doing zero work because efficiency.

MAYBE they're trying to force out the few people that have actually made it to PTO (?) since we have a pretty high turn over rate? Who the gently caress knows?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

PoundSand posted:

I gotta say as a not wfh blue collar employee kind of guy the presence of wfh talk on these forums makes it genuinely look like people in these positions simply don't do anything to justify their salary in a general sense. I genuinely do empathize and understand with the concept of taking advantage of your employer when you get a chance but the reality is this extra work from lack of engagement tends to trickle down to people already dicked over by the system rather than as a grandiose stand against lovely bosses. In the years I've worked at my current job p much everything admins "do" has been passed off onto the field workers, with no extra compensation. From timecards to billing to vehicle inspections to talking with clients over scheduling/submitting finalized reports there were numerous tasks that have been "optimized" by the wfh crowd into the people they were supposed to support simply doing the work for them. These positions haven't been downsized or anything, they simply exist while seemingly not contributing anything anymore.

At my place, an entire layer of management during wfh managed to off load any actual work on the essentials and now exists in an ouroborusic series of do nothing meetings that keeps them occupied all week accomplishing precisely nothing.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

When wfh teams don't deliver anything it must mean the team is too small and should expand, hth

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Navin Johnson posted:

Good luck......

ty :3:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

teemolover42069 posted:

We get this pretty regularly from a handful of people, it is just wild how many different IT issues can be magically fixed by telling an agent that they’ll have to come into the office if the problem doesn’t resolve.

We don’t have at-will employment here though so it takes a long time and a lot of hoops to fire the people who are actively just taking the piss.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I deal a lot with systems that handle customer data, orders, support, claims and so on. And I gotta say I think the modern systems we now have (replacing a 20+ year old system with lots of homebrew addons) are a worse than what we used to have despite a lot of modern features that I do like. I can see it in the amount of problems people have in using them (too many steps, no clean work flow anymore), crap like saving entire mails into the system to log discussions with customers, one mail after the other...

Our old system consisted of a plain text field that was continually updated on the top with new info (and old stuff got archived into a txt file after a certain date). It was just so easy to get an immediate overview of everything, all customer communication and payment notifications, delivery messages and whatnot, all easily accessible.

The one negative thing about it was that it didn't handle attachments well and required manual steps to work. But I still get told by coworkers they preferred the old system, could we somehow make the new system more like the old one? We can't find poo poo.

So my coworkers complaining about the new system, the boss likes the new system (though he complains constantly about the cost) because he can micro-manage everyone and see what they are doing, but hates that everyone "uses it wrong", he's particulary being an rear end in a top hat to one of our sellers, to the point he's considering leaving and that would leave the company hosed.

He don't know how to use it either btw, just think he's always right.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Outrail posted:

And hit send on your letter of resignation as you're leaving for the two weeks.

A lab an old coworker worked in tried to only pay out 50% PTO when you leave, so my buddy did exactly this. They tried to deny it and he had to threaten them with legal action lol

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Outrail posted:

Absolutely not. What you should do is reevaluate and interpret your skillset and experience so human resources can better understand what you bring to the table and help them recruit a valuable employee.

Yeah, I...have no clue how to do that.

That's the kind of corporate BS talk I hate. "Bring to the table" , "reevaluate and interpret."

There is nothing to reevaluate! It's all there on the resume.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
Agile is a new hot thing around here but no one seems to know what to do with it. I made this and put it in an Agile Teams meeting.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

PureEvil6_13 posted:

Agile is a new hot thing around here but no one seems to know what to do with it. I made this and put it in an Agile Teams meeting.

:perfect:

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I can't help but think "agile" means "you will now be doing the job of yet another person on top of your current job(s) so management can take a break from all of this expensive and laborious recruiting"

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

PoundSand posted:

I gotta say as a not wfh blue collar employee kind of guy the presence of wfh talk on these forums makes it genuinely look like people in these positions simply don't do anything to justify their salary in a general sense.

The whole concept of justifying your salary based on keystrokes per hour or whatever else pointless KPI management invents needs to die. You justify your salary through what you deliver and the scope of your job responsibilities. If projects are meeting deadlines or calls are getting answered or claims are getting processed, that's it, you just justified your salary. Managers cannot stand wfh because it actually forces them to evaluate their underlings based on their production rather than pointless bullshit like how many consecutive hours you warmed a chair in the main office. It exposes the managers as being the dead weight because outside of touring the office and holding pointless meetings they literally have nothing to do with their day if there isn't an employee somewhere they can harass.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Serious_Cyclone posted:

The whole concept of justifying your salary based on keystrokes per hour or whatever else pointless KPI management invents needs to die. You justify your salary through what you deliver and the scope of your job responsibilities. If projects are meeting deadlines or calls are getting answered or claims are getting processed, that's it, you just justified your salary. Managers cannot stand wfh because it actually forces them to evaluate their underlings based on their production rather than pointless bullshit like how many consecutive hours you warmed a chair in the main office. It exposes the managers as being the dead weight because outside of touring the office and holding pointless meetings they literally have nothing to do with their day if there isn't an employee somewhere they can harass.
To be fair to the OP, we mostly don't do anything to justify our salaries. As evidenced by posting here during business hours.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, I...have no clue how to do that.

That's the kind of corporate BS talk I hate. "Bring to the table" , "reevaluate and interpret."

There is nothing to reevaluate! It's all there on the resume.

It's lying with extra steps so it's not lying.

Instead of 'I once fixed my bosses email when the dumbass changed the settings' it's 'Performed IT functions above and beyond role requirements to ensure team efficiency and cohesiveness'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Outrail posted:

Instead of 'I once fixed my bosses email when the dumbass changed the settings' it's 'Performed IT functions above and beyond role requirements to ensure team efficiency and cohesiveness'.
I feel I'm decent at this, but is there a translation reference to help in revising resumes?