Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

luchadornado posted:

Huh? I did 5 PRs today. And it was a lazy day.

what were they :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

StumblyWumbly posted:

I am also a manager who has often been spread thin, and the squeaky wheel gets the attention[...]

In general, why is your manager having trouble? Is your team particularly large, or do they have something personal going on? Or are they just having trouble with a normal workload?

That's kind of what I'm realizing. I often do things outside of my role so that the team works smoothly, but then managers tend to leave me alone since I do that. I know I need to go with a facts-based approach into this and ask for what I need, without feeling guilty or that it was my fault, and find a way to stay within my role and ask for help when I need it from other roles.

My manager is a relatively newish engineer->manager convert. They have two teams. My team is re-building after a re-org and some departures and is relatively junior - the devs needs a lot of help with prioritization, accountability, etc. The other team is a dumpster fire of bad technology decisions that chew up most of their time. They don't spend a lot of time with my team, largely because I'm helping keep it afloat. Their style scared away 2 seniors on the one team, and one senior on my team. I was able to help stop that trend, but the damage was already done. I really want to go to skip levels and say "they're spread too thin and are a detriment to the team", but that's entirely new to me. I also need them to deal with the unproductive peer first, since that's an even bigger problem. Part of the manager's problem is that this peer has been given a good faith run of about a year and they're actually regressing. I have no idea if they're on a PIP or anything.

Honestly, just typing this out and having someone completely unfamiliar is helping me frame how I need to handle this. Rubber ducking rules.

Pollyanna posted:

what were they :colbert:

Quality of life type stuff: adding a new logging abstraction, adding tests to catch DI/config problems, redoing how a shared library gets published, etc. Trying to help the team focus on the business logic more during a large re-arch. I was just sharing that PRs/day without context isn't terribly useful. A feature PR a day? That's kind of breakneck pace for most teams.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 4, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The worst manager I ever had was an engineer trying to convert into management without getting the support they needed to do that without loving it up. It's completely bonkers having a new convert trying to manage two distinct teams while also learning how to be an effective manager.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

luchadornado posted:

That's kind of what I'm realizing. I often do things outside of my role so that the team works smoothly, but then managers tend to leave me alone since I do that. I know I need to go with a facts-based approach into this and ask for what I need, without feeling guilty or that it was my fault, and find a way to stay within my role and ask for help when I need it from other roles.

My manager is a relatively newish engineer->manager convert. They have two teams. My team is re-building after a re-org and some departures and is relatively junior - the devs needs a lot of help with prioritization, accountability, etc. The other team is a dumpster fire of bad technology decisions that chew up most of their time. They don't spend a lot of time with my team, largely because I'm helping keep it afloat. Their style scared away 2 seniors on the one team, and one senior on my team. I was able to help stop that trend, but the damage was already done. I really want to go to skip levels and say "they're spread too thin and are a detriment to the team", but that's entirely new to me. I also need them to deal with the unproductive peer first, since that's an even bigger problem. Part of the manager's problem is that this peer has been given a good faith run of about a year and they're actually regressing. I have no idea if they're on a PIP or anything.

Honestly, just typing this out and having someone completely unfamiliar is helping me frame how I need to handle this. Rubber ducking rules.

Quality of life type stuff: adding a new logging abstraction, adding tests to catch DI/config problems, redoing how a shared library gets published, etc. Trying to help the team focus on the business logic more during a large re-arch. I was just sharing that PRs/day without context isn't terribly useful. A feature PR a day? That's kind of breakneck pace for most teams.

Explicit communication with your manager would help. At the very least make them aware of the problem. Do they already know? I’m kind of assuming not. Also if that person is on a PIP, then you absolutely should have been told. I don’t see how a pip could be done without both tech lead and manager involved.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Meta hiring freeze officially in effect now

Freeze over

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lol that was like almost a year.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
What did their recruiters do during their year off?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

lifg posted:

What did their recruiters do during their year off?

Muck up my Linkedin feed begging for jobs.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Hadlock posted:

Freeze over

Meta's reputation afaik is to go really hard on the algorithm lottery. It'll be tough.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah they wanted two perfect leetcode medium-hards from me in 45 minutes total.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Love Stole the Day posted:

Meta's reputation afaik is to go really hard on the algorithm lottery. It'll be tough.
I'm surprised this is the case, given the recent announcements that protein folding is bad and AI is good

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah they wanted two perfect leetcode medium-hards from me in 45 minutes total.

Amazing that they think they're hiring the 0.1% of devs who can do that intuitively rather than the 50% of devs who can just memorize it all.

At this point they're turning away the 1% who can do even one such question intuitively.

I got a surprise question like that in the last 15 minutes of a soft interview with them and couldn't write Java fast enough to complete the question. That was what made me switch to interviewing in python.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 9, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I wonder how long it's going to take the tech majors to figure out that their interview format is optimized for a world where the stock market does all their recruiting for them.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Tech companies know exactly what they're doing. The ones hustling overtime to memorize Cracking the Coding Interview, looking for the attaboy and a cookie for getting the right answer on the gamified programming challenge, those are perfect worker bees: brilliant and no self respect or boundaries.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

oliveoil posted:

Amazing that they think they're hiring the 0.1% of devs who can do that intuitively rather than the 50% of devs who can just memorize it all.

At this point they're turning away the 1% who can do even one such question intuitively.

I got a surprise question like that in the last 15 minutes of a soft interview with them and couldn't write Java fast enough to complete the question. That was what made me switch to interviewing in python.

Using Python for pretty much everything that isn’t going to live for more than a couple of months is a lesson I learned early on.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Love Stole the Day posted:

I interviewed with NVIDIA for an IC5 (L5) position. There were five straight-forward interviews that evaluated my technical ability with no puzzles. I knocked them out of the park and have been working there for the past 1.5 years. I'm currently being nudged towards an L6 position.

At the same time, I interviewed with Google for an L5 position. There were five interviews with puzzle coding questions unrelated to the job role. I was told that Google was undecided on my results and that I needed to do two more interviews to see if I was qualified for an L4 position. I declined, since I already had an offer from NVIDIA in hand.

At the same time, I tried to interview with Meta for an L5 position. I did not even pass the phone screen, which was a series of theory questions followed by a puzzle coding exercise. After talking through the theory questions just fine, I only had 10 minutes left of the 45 minute interview to do the coding. I did not complete it. The recruiter told me that the phone screen interviewer had not received enough "signal" on my coding ability. I was invited to have another phone screen interview, which I declined.

I have had Meta reach out to me about half-a-dozen times since then, inviting me to apply for a variety of roles. Each time I politely decline with "I don't know what you're looking for, but it clearly isn't me. I did not even pass your phone screen the last time I applied. Trust in your screening process, and I wish you the best of luck in finding the right candidate for the role." :shrug:

The Meta phone screen was in C++, by the way. Even using STL, it takes a little bit to write the boilerplate code in there. It was just a blank online text editor where the interviewer said "Write this. Go."

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

hendersa posted:

At the same time, I interviewed with Google for an L5 position. There were five interviews with puzzle coding questions unrelated to the job role. I was told that Google was undecided on my results and that I needed to do two more interviews to see if I was qualified for an L4 position. I declined, since I already had an offer from NVIDIA in hand.

Didn't you also literally write the book on the topic Google was interviewing you about?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, that sounds like El Goog to me.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Vulture Culture posted:

Tech companies know exactly what they're doing. The ones hustling overtime to memorize Cracking the Coding Interview, looking for the attaboy and a cookie for getting the right answer on the gamified programming challenge, those are perfect worker bees: brilliant and no self respect or boundaries.
This does not match the person I know who recently went to Google. Smart guy, but definitely not brilliant, who likes figuring out brain puzzles, but a chore to work with and no particular talent for actually getting projects done.

hendersa posted:

At the same time, I tried to interview with Meta for an L5 position. I did not even pass the phone screen, which was a series of theory questions followed by a puzzle coding exercise. After talking through the theory questions just fine, I only had 10 minutes left of the 45 minute interview to do the coding. I did not complete it. The recruiter told me that the phone screen interviewer had not received enough "signal" on my coding ability. I was invited to have another phone screen interview, which I declined.

I have had Meta reach out to me about half-a-dozen times since then, inviting me to apply for a variety of roles. Each time I politely decline with "I don't know what you're looking for, but it clearly isn't me. I did not even pass your phone screen the last time I applied. Trust in your screening process, and I wish you the best of luck in finding the right candidate for the role." :shrug:

The Meta phone screen was in C++, by the way. Even using STL, it takes a little bit to write the boilerplate code in there. It was just a blank online text editor where the interviewer said "Write this. Go."

Ugh, I've been looking at some embedded jobs at Meta because even though the Metaverse is poo poo, the HW for it seems interesting, well funded, and more fun than self driving cars.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

hendersa posted:

I interviewed with NVIDIA for an IC5 (L5) position. There were five straight-forward interviews that evaluated my technical ability with no puzzles. I knocked them out of the park and have been working there for the past 1.5 years. I'm currently being nudged towards an L6 position.

What's working at NVIDIA like?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Double posting to ask: Anyone have recommendations for advanced books on processor design? Should I just read the ARM specs?

I got knocked around in a Microsoft interview because I didn't know enough about how data was cached when going into an interrupt. I swear it was all done in SW last time I looked, but I also had to put chips under UV to erase them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

StumblyWumbly posted:

This does not match the person I know who recently went to Google. Smart guy, but definitely not brilliant, who likes figuring out brain puzzles, but a chore to work with and no particular talent for actually getting projects done.

Their interviews are bad at picking out the candidates they want.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Vulture Culture posted:

swing and a miss

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

LLSix posted:

Based on the described interview process I immediately thought of applying.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Didn't you also literally write the book on the topic Google was interviewing you about?
I wrote a book on hardware interfacing under Android. It walks you through breadboarding circuits up to an ARM SBC with Android running on it, writing the Java and native code to interface with it, getting the kernel set up with the right drivers, etc. But that's just it... when Google interviewed me, they did not interview me on any of that type of content. Google didn't interview me on anything related to embedded systems at all, actually. That ran completely contrary to the Google interview guideline documents that I was provided and the information that the recuiter told me.

LLSix posted:

Very busy, but it is going well. As I found ways for us to become more efficient or take a short-cut, I brought it up and was listened to. I get to point out potential land-mines and the higher-ups say "yeah, we can see your point on that", and then we correct to avoid them. Once I got rolling and my name got out there after a few months, people on other teams started pinging me to ask my input on how other parts of the system should be designed/handled. People generally listen to what you have to say, regardless of your level, as long as you have good reasoning behind it and can clearly explain what is good/bad about it.

I had a lot of freedom to automate and investigate things at first, but that has lessened lately with deadlines looming. I get a lot of the "tricky" problems for triage/analysis, which often end up being bugs in other firmware and FPGA components that manifest over on our side. When I present my root cause investigation findings, other engineers are often curious to learn what process I used to troubleshoot because the evidence/symptom trail often wanders all over throughout the system. Most people there have that sort of curiosity. If someone doesn't understand something, they'll find someone that does and ask questions.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Sounds really nice.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

swing and a miss
I did not imply anywhere that these are the only people who pass these interviews

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it was a bad take, no need to double down on it

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Achmed Jones posted:

it was a bad take, no need to double down on it

It’s a good take and you’re taking it very personally

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dont put it in the newspaper that i took it personally!!!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

this is a good and correct take

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Re: interviewing in Python

I interviewed at Wealthsimple for a manager position. They asked me to do a relatively simple problem in any language I felt comfortable with, so I did it in Java.

Apparently that was the wrong answer since in the next call I had with them I was told that they wanted someone who knew a modern programming language.

Maybe I should switch to Python too.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the reason it's a dumb take is because you don't actually have to do all that studying crap, you just pull the arm on the slot machine until you hit. it absolutely selects for people who can deal with that- but the "do a 4hr unpaid takehome" thing is 100x worse for selecting people who will do unpaid work, because that's what takehomes actually are. it's trivially easy to get good enough at algo lottery problems to pass within a few tries. it's obnoxiously difficult to get good enough to have a high first-try rate.l (so just don't do that). this means that if you interview at multiple faangs and faang-likes, it's easy (or was, the market is worse now but is bouncing back) to end up with multiple acceptances to play off of each other. there's a lot of poo poo to complain about for those companies, but "it's too hard to get hired" isn't really one of them.

however, "the process sucks when you don't hit" is absolutely one. like googles dumbass process wasted hendersa's time, and that's lame. but oh look, they still ended up at a good faanglike place because the odds aren't _actually_ bad when it comes to getting not-terrible questions when taken in aggregate.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i guess it does select for people who won't get upset and give up when first-try success isn't guaranteed

like of all the reasons to poo poo on these companies that's the only one that makes me roll my eyes. the others (bad labor practices, deleterious effect on society, dumb layoffs, contributing to massive inequality, short sighted products, lol google kills everything, etc etc) are on point tho

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Achmed Jones posted:

i guess it does select for people who won't get upset and give up when first-try success isn't guaranteed

like of all the reasons to poo poo on these companies that's the only one that makes me roll my eyes. the others (bad labor practices, deleterious effect on society, dumb layoffs, contributing to massive inequality, short sighted products, lol google kills everything, etc etc) are on point tho

Nah the interview process is bad because it has high false positive (gamable) and false negative rates (lottery). It's fine to say it's bad. Because it is.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ensign Expendable posted:

Re: interviewing in Python

I interviewed at Wealthsimple for a manager position. They asked me to do a relatively simple problem in any language I felt comfortable with, so I did it in Java.

Apparently that was the wrong answer since in the next call I had with them I was told that they wanted someone who knew a modern programming language.

Maybe I should switch to Python too.

Hell of a leap from "this is one language the candidate felt comfortable with" to "doesn't know any modern language." That's without addressing their definition of "modern" if they aren't applying it to Java.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh yeah, like i disagree re: the amount of false acceptances, and i think that the false rejections are both not really a huge deal and also spread out better than other interview systems that do worse re: disproportionally rejecting pocs and stuff. but i see your reasoning. my thought is p much that it sucks, but it's better than almost everything else i've seen. pair programming on actual features is better, but requires significantly more investment from the interviewer, which makes it hard to scale (and also hard to do for more sensitive stuff if you're not at a bog standard saas shop)

my biggest gripe with googles process is that the people who interview you aren't your potential teammates. that sucks so hard on both sides of the table

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The false positive and false negative rates for a tech major are high, but those are really both side effects of a deeper underlying issue where the interview measures things that are weakly correlated at best with the skills that matter for doing the job. That's less of a problem for junior people, but a serious issue in the L5-L6 range.

The interview process also influences who even applies for those jobs in the first place. It's very difficult to say how much that matters but I suspect it's not a total non-issue.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah i generally agree with all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

e: nevermind

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 10, 2023