Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Funzo posted:

I'm going to start up a game for my wife and our two teenage kids soon. They want to avoid dungeon crawler type games and want more mystery/heist type stuff. Can anyone point me to books they're aware of that lean in to that kind of thing? Third party is just fine too. I'll likely end up homebrewing something, but its nice to have the bones of something to work with. I'm also thinking of just going with Wild Beyond the Witchlight, but I need to read it again to see if it does what I think it does.

Yeah, D&D is a good dungeon crawler / combat game but, as you said, if you want to do anything else you usually gotta homebrew it. I'd be thinking of trying another system entirely, like Dungeon World, Blades in the Dark, or another narrative game instead. If you want a specific recommendation, I've enjoyed the ICON RPG narrative system too as a catch-all for non-combat activities (it's Blades in the Dark based with a high fantasy spin). Blades in the Dark would likely be very solid too, but I've never played it. It should be fine to homebrew stuff too though. I've never used the books recommended above, but I have had friend play Wild Beyond the Witchlight and have a great time.

If you homebrew, I recommend bringing in "clocks" from Apocalypse World (they are essentially narrative "healthbars"; try to make them player-visible if at all possible) and aggressively using fail forward principles (assuming you weren't already). When you're doing a mystery, you can't have the players miss a key plot-hook clue because they failed their roll. You'll still want to use "dungeons" that aren't dungeons, like mansions and castles, I think. There is a great, enjoyable suspense to be found in "what's in the next room?" that transcends dungeon-crawling

No one is asking, but I will have my fun and share how I do narrative stuff within D&D these days: I don't set DCs for checks anymore, I just use the same three DCs for everything:
  • 17 and above: full success. Player gets exactly what they want. If the player can't get exactly what they want, even on a full success, I'll hint or explicitly let the player know that fact.
  • 9-16: partial success. The player gets only part of what they want, or they get what they want and bad stuff either happens or is foreshadowed.
  • 8 and below: fail. I decide if the player gets what they want, and bad stuff happens (Note: if the player is skilled enough, they might succeed regardless and the roll decides if there are unexpected consequences).
I have found that this results in a better allocation of DM brainpower during checks. You are spending your valuable energy to think about consequences and not minutiae.
(I explicitly stole this from Apocalypse World, I just adapted the numbers to D&D)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Azathoth posted:

Would someone be willing to nerd out and explain to me why psionics in Dark Sun is so foundationally different it doesn't work with just a reskinned 5e spell system?

As a Psionics Enjoyer I've never played Dark Sun, so my experience is mainly from the 2e and 3.5e Handbooks, but the main thing is that they feel very mechanically different from Sorcerers/Wizards, completely different spells, its own mechanics, so much like how Spell lists are fun because they're mechanically different from Martials; they feel mechanically distinct from other Casters.

5e kinda bridges the gap with Sorcery Points so Sorcerers are kinda closer to Psionics which is where Psionic Soul/Aberrant Mind come into play to bridge the gap further but with the shared spell lists as far as I'm concerned there's still a bit too much overlap; it's annoying playing as a Psionicst Caster only for every other full caster to also have Psychic Lance because its essentially the best single target damage spell for 4th level making you seem a LOT less special and unique.

What I'd like to see is something that just straight up doesn't have spell lists, but effects, which can be stacked and combined however, and you get a huge pile of points to do this with. Maybe some "premade" abilities that are basically spells but are just examples with names to show a player and tutorialize to them how to combine things to recapture that feeling of specialness unique snowflakeness and be distinct relative to Sorcs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Azathoth posted:

Would someone be willing to nerd out and explain to me why psionics in Dark Sun is so foundationally different it doesn't work with just a reskinned 5e spell system?

It's really thoroughly integrated into the setting. Dark Sun is basically "mad max biological disaster, but arcane magic is the pollutant." Arcane casters are thus either undercover (the player characters) or sorcerer kings who are in charge of everything (the villains). The gods have abandoned the setting so all the clerics are elemental clerics or clerics of the Big Bad sorcerer-kings (also villains).

The balancing factor is that pretty much everybody gets some degree of psionics. Like, every single player character got at least a single psionic power of their choice, like a psionic feat at first level.

You could do it with a reskinned spell system but, e.g., it *really matters* whether or not "detect magic" detects your telekinesis or not in Dark Sun -- just saying "it's reskinned mage hand but psychic" isn't enough. The whole point of psionics in dark sun is that they're nonmagical; If you're casting something that triggers a Detect Magic, the sorcerer kings are going to be alerted, come after you, etc.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

YggdrasilTM posted:

I thought Waterdeep: Dragon Heist was well received?

It was my favorite from a player perspective. You get to run a tavern, do faction quests to gain reputation, and solve a mystery. Requires some extra work from the DM for the faction quests.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Azathoth posted:

Both Psionics and Spells exist in Dark Sun and are very distinct.

Spellcasting in addition to taking spell slots, in most cases also drains the life out of the surrounding environment and people (which leads to the blight throughout the region)

Further, there are no Gods who can reach the world of Athas to supply Clerics with prayers, so there is no Clerical magic as supplied by a deity. There are however Clerics of particular elements.

The populace at large recognize when spellcasting is done and there is a heavy stigma against it (unless you are in the direct service of a dragon/sorcerer-king) however, no such stigma exists with Psionics.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Arivia posted:

And yet, that book was so bad Dark Sun needed to make their own complete replacement, which was in turn replaced by ANOTHER core AD&D take on psionics. (The Complete Psionics Handbook, the Will and the Way, and Player's Option: Skills and Powers, respectively.)

3e had two independent books about psionics, the first (revised) version of which was extremely well received, and didn't get a Dark Sun official book. 4e did get a Dark Sun campaign setting, but its psionics stuff was included with other options in the Player's Handbook 3.

An independent psionics supplement is neither necessary nor sufficient for a Dark Sun campaign setting to exist for an edition of D&D.

e: upon looking at it, the Will and the Way was not a complete replacement, mea culpa. Just like an 80% replacement.

I think you're overstating the changes made by S&P--I'd call it a major overhaul rather than a complete replacement--and The Will and the Way is mostly a fluff book that adds a new kind of psionic dueling along with some kits (and the kits are the real shocker because Dark Sun otherwise rejected the kits system).

But you're right that Dark Sun doesn't require an independent psionics supplement. The S&P rules were included in the revised box as a 32 page pamphlet.

So you could do a 5E Dark Sun book that adds a psionicist class and system, but then you still need to include all the other character options that are unique or specific to Athas.

And even if they managed to figure all that out, they'd still need to get Brom and Baxa back on board to do the art (DiTerlizzi is not necessary but would be nice).

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I’ve been talking with a group of friends about starting up a new campaign after not playing in over a decade. Some people are vets and some people are brand new to D&D. Last time I played was 3.5.

What is a good starting adventure in 5e if I don’t want to prep much at first to see how it will go with the group?

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Saltpowered posted:

I’ve been talking with a group of friends about starting up a new campaign after not playing in over a decade. Some people are vets and some people are brand new to D&D. Last time I played was 3.5.

What is a good starting adventure in 5e if I don’t want to prep much at first to see how it will go with the group?

The standard answer is that WotC put out Lost Mines of Phandelver specifically to be an introductory minicampaign for new players and DMs. I think that running a one shot with pre-made level 3 heroes is probably the better route because low(er) level play sucks for new players, but your mileage may vary.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Raenir Salazar posted:

As a Psionics Enjoyer I've never played Dark Sun, so my experience is mainly from the 2e and 3.5e Handbooks, but the main thing is that they feel very mechanically different from Sorcerers/Wizards, completely different spells, its own mechanics, so much like how Spell lists are fun because they're mechanically different from Martials; they feel mechanically distinct from other Casters.

5e kinda bridges the gap with Sorcery Points so Sorcerers are kinda closer to Psionics which is where Psionic Soul/Aberrant Mind come into play to bridge the gap further but with the shared spell lists as far as I'm concerned there's still a bit too much overlap; it's annoying playing as a Psionicst Caster only for every other full caster to also have Psychic Lance because its essentially the best single target damage spell for 4th level making you seem a LOT less special and unique.

What I'd like to see is something that just straight up doesn't have spell lists, but effects, which can be stacked and combined however, and you get a huge pile of points to do this with. Maybe some "premade" abilities that are basically spells but are just examples with names to show a player and tutorialize to them how to combine things to recapture that feeling of specialness unique snowflakeness and be distinct relative to Sorcs.

Yeah, it might not be "good design" but one of the things that makes psionics cool in earlier editions is how weird it is. Psionics should feel like it's a system from a completely different RPG grafted into D&D to make it feel unnatural and alien. The psionic classes in 5e completely ditch that in favour of being more user-friendly, which is laudible in theory but I think misses the point. As a player when you discover psionics I think the general first impression should be "what the gently caress is this"; that's the allure!

I think if I was building psionics for 5e from the ground up they'd lean very heavily on percentile effects (since those are much rarer in this edition) and give psionicists huge amounts of "psi points" which they'd use point-for-point on their abilities to affect the percentiles. So like if psionic blast has a default 55% chance to hit you can spend 15 of your points to make psionic blast have a 70% chance. Something like that anyway.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Reveilled posted:

Yeah, it might not be "good design" but one of the things that makes psionics cool in earlier editions is how weird it is. Psionics should feel like it's a system from a completely different RPG grafted into D&D to make it feel unnatural and alien. The psionic classes in 5e completely ditch that in favour of being more user-friendly, which is laudible in theory but I think misses the point. As a player when you discover psionics I think the general first impression should be "what the gently caress is this"; that's the allure!

I think if I was building psionics for 5e from the ground up they'd lean very heavily on percentile effects (since those are much rarer in this edition) and give psionicists huge amounts of "psi points" which they'd use point-for-point on their abilities to affect the percentiles. So like if psionic blast has a default 55% chance to hit you can spend 15 of your points to make psionic blast have a 70% chance. Something like that anyway.

Honestly I think this is why psionics didn’t work in D&D for a lot of people. You were forced into learning a brand new system that was only present for a select few character classes.

Game design-wise it makes much more sense for the psionicist to have a similar design language as the other classes.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

It seems like they are just going to simplify Psionics and roll them into being another type of magic. Outside of the Dark Sun setting this makes the most sense to me. Dark Sun was the setting where Psionics are used as a substitute for magic but if nobody in the world cares about magic than it's easier to make everything weird "magical." Although 5e is relatively low magic IMO because of the way it handles magic items, so Psionics could be cool.

I doubt they would remake the Dark Sun setting in 5e well. The themes are not something that WotC could handle in a way that would satisfy people. They rightfully get a lot more pushback on their work, look at them putting "infestation" in the Frostmourne description, but the editing staff would miss so much on a Dark Sun release it would be almost funny.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Notable exclusively for not actually containing a heist.

And where the dragons refer to the local currency. (And one dragon that is permanently shapechanged). So no flying fire breathing dragons and no heist in "Dragon Heist".

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Nah, 2nd edition had the best implementation of psionics to date. It had a whole drat book with an independent spell list as long as the divine or arcane list. That's what it takes.

And this is why D&D psionics suck. All D&D Psionicists are when push comes to shove is casters with a different incompatible list of spells.

Azathoth posted:

Because then they wouldn't feel different from magic. So the psionics fans wouldn't get to be special snowflakes with their own spell lists that everyone else had to work round. (And Cessna is of course correct that Dark Sun would be pretty generic if it came out today when there's more variety in our Extruded Fantasy Products rather than just the Tolkien Races).

Being serious, 5e has the best psionics of any D&D edition - but fans of "D&D psionics" hate it because of that. First 5e's default magic system, with the ability to upcast spells and where you prepare the spell not the spell into the slot is basically the 3.5 psionic system, not the pre-3.5 magic system. (Which of course makes it harder to give psions special rules to make them different when what they are different from uses D&D Psionics Rules). Secondly it has the Aberrant Mind which, other than a connection to the Far Realm you can ignore is a classic Psion right down to being a power point caster - only it doesn't have 70 odd pages of spells all to itself. You also have the other psionicists (including at least one and maybe two bard subclasses, and the Great Old One Warlock). And then you have the "non-caster psionicists" like the Soulknife who's basically an 80s/90s Psylocke, the Psychic Warrior, and the Astral Self Monk. All of whom are recognisable psionicists but don't use the same basic mechanics because they draw on different fictional psions rather than incestuously on D&D psionicists.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

gurragadon posted:

It seems like they are just going to simplify Psionics and roll them into being another type of magic. Outside of the Dark Sun setting this makes the most sense to me. Dark Sun was the setting where Psionics are used as a substitute for magic but if nobody in the world cares about magic than it's easier to make everything weird "magical." Although 5e is relatively low magic IMO because of the way it handles magic items, so Psionics could be cool.

I doubt they would remake the Dark Sun setting in 5e well. The themes are not something that WotC could handle in a way that would satisfy people. They rightfully get a lot more pushback on their work, look at them putting "infestation" in the Frostmourne description, but the editing staff would miss so much on a Dark Sun release it would be almost funny.

Given that they have already had one "they actually like being slaves" oopsie-daisy, I can only imagine the truly heinous poo poo that would make it into a Dark Sun 5e product. At a minimum, you're getting #NotAllSlavers with a real chance at something so vile I can't even conceive of it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm sure someone could take the problematic stuff in Dark Sun and handle it tastefully. That someone is not WOTC

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Saltpowered posted:

I'm in a similar situation; a group of friends asked me to run a specifically 5e game for them and their kids.

Believe it or not, I'm thinking of running Curse of Strahd.

- It's a well designed set of adventures in a small (geographically) world.
- The campaign has a clear long-term goal (get rid of Strahd) but which is pretty open about how to get there. There are plenty of self-contained adventures within the campaign.
- It's familiar enough to non-D&D people (everyone knows what a vampire or werewolf is) but it's also not Yet Another Forgotten Realms game which might be boring for people with a lot of D&D experience.
- You can vary the tone and vibe according to the group. Yes, it's horror, but you can run it as "Addams Family" level horror if your group isn't into the hardcore stuff.

I'd recommend making a few changes, like making the Vistani different. As it is, they're written as a "Romani" stereotype, but this could easily be changed into something else.

I'm interested in other people's ideas for a 5e intro campaign as well!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

5E actually had the bones of a good psionicist class--I think it was called the mystic--in one of the UA playtests, but it was over-powered, and rather than put the effort into tuning and balancing it, they just dropped it in favor of the meh subclasses Toshimo listed.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Laser Llama has a fun and flavorful 5e Psion class up on GMBinder: https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-MPkCSxSj0OETiEd3Pyf

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Cessna posted:

I'd recommend making a few changes, like making the Vistani different. As it is, they're written as a "Romani" stereotype, but this could easily be changed into something else.

I thought they addressed that in the "Revamped" edition, but apparently they significantly whiffed it.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I thought they addressed that in the "Revamped" edition, but apparently they significantly whiffed it.

I don't have that, I just have the Curse of Strahd hardback.

Edit: I guess maybe I do? Is Revamped just the 5e version?

They're still Romani stereotypes. I can believe that they toned them down from how they were in the past, but they're still cringey.

Personally I'll make them something different, like elves, or 1930s Carnival workers.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 8, 2023

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Cessna posted:

Personally I'll make them something different, like elves, or 1930s Carnival workers.

I like the idea of making them carnies with Geek Love vibes.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I'm going to be starting CoS soon for some friends, one of which is Ukrainian. As this makes any attempt at doing an accent at best Count Chocula and at worst resulting a withering stare, I have decided to move it from the Mountains of Transylvania to the Mountains of Southern Appalachia. My paternal side is from North Carolina for generations, so I'm going to Andy Griffith it.

Still going back and forth on more substative changes, but I had ChatGPT suggest some and it came back with not-terrible (if not terribly interesting) options. I might just do a find/replace for some of the names to make it work, although I'm a little worried about getting confused.

ChatGPT posted:

Converting "Curse of Strahd" to an Appalachian south theme can be an exciting endeavor. Here are some suggestions for changes to names, descriptions, and flavor without altering the main plot:

Main Location Name: Instead of Barovia, the main setting could be "Appalachia Hollow" or "Smoky Mountain Vale," maintaining the isolated and ominous atmosphere.

Strahd von Zarovich: Transform the main antagonist into a figure like "Caleb Devereux," a charismatic and ancient vampire lord with a dark history tied to the region.

Vistani: Rename the Vistani to "Cumberland Caravaners," a mysterious group of nomadic travelers who are skilled in divination and folklore.

Ravenloft Castle: Rename it to "Windswept Manor," an imposing and haunted mansion perched on a cliff, overlooking the Appalachian valleys.
Vistani Backstory:
The Cumberland Caravaners are a close-knit group of nomadic travelers hailing from an ancient lineage tied to Appalachian folklore. Legend has it that they are descendants of an old tribe blessed with the ability to see glimpses of the future through divination. They have roamed the Appalachian Hollows for generations, and their knowledge of the region's history and secrets is unmatched.

Vistani Camp:
The Cumberland Caravaners' camp can be a collection of brightly colored wagons, adorned with intricate folk art and symbols representing their Appalachian heritage. Their campsite is hidden within the depths of the Smoky Mountain Vale, surrounded by an aura of mystique and mystery.

Madam Eva:
Instead of Madam Eva, the wise and enigmatic seer can be called "Granny Elspeth," a weathered yet formidable Appalachian elder with a deep connection to the land's spirits and ancient magic. She resides in a cozy, rustic cabin at the heart of the Cumberland Caravaners' camp.

The Tarroka Reading:
Granny Elspeth conducts the Tarroka reading using a deck of cards with symbols representing key Appalachian elements, like mountains, rivers, hollers, and moon phases. The reading reveals visions and clues related to the cursed land and the characters' destinies. The locations and characters involved in the reading can be renamed and adapted to fit the Appalachian theme while still connecting to the main plot.

For instance, the "Sword" card might represent an ancient Appalachian artifact, the "Beast" card can point to a dangerous cryptid or a wolf-like entity in the region, and the "Mists" card symbolizes the ever-present fog that blankets the hollows.

By incorporating Appalachian culture and folklore into these elements, the players will be immersed in a unique and engaging experience while exploring the cursed lands of the Appalachian south. Happy storytelling!

Not sure if hillbilly is really a step in the right direction, but I doubt anyone would write an elegy about it. At least I could add some blue people in. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Fugates

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 8, 2023

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Cessna posted:

I don't have that, I just have the Curse of Strahd hardback.

Edit: I guess maybe I do? Is Revamped just the 5e version?

They're still Romani stereotypes. I can believe that they toned them down from how they were in the past, but they're still cringey.

They re-released CoS in 2020, calling it the "Revamped Edition." From what I understand, it is mostly the same as the 2016 initial 5e edition, but has a variety of deluxe features. They did make some very minor revisions to the depiction of the Vistani, but from what I've read, it doesn't really get at the core of what's wrong with the Romani stereotypes.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Reflavoring the Vistani as elves would be problematic given they systematically killed off all of the female Dusk Elves and enslaved all the males at the request of Strahd.

I have been DMing CoS (revamped) for a while now and my approach to the Vistani is to not treat them as a monolith. Too many DMs equate them like Romani and fall into stereotype. They travel freely between dimensions and engender themselves to a wide range of cultures. It makes sense that they should pick up different accents and mannerisms. Whenever they need to speak amongst themselves, I refer to it as "they are speaking a language foreign to you" but I make no effort to describe it.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Some info on the Book/Deck of Many Things product
https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1544-what-is-the-deck-of-many-things-set-cards-of-chaos

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

The Aphasian posted:

I'm going to be starting CoS soon for some friends, one of which is Ukrainian. As this makes any attempt at doing an accent at best Count Chocula and at worst resulting a withering stare, I have decided to move it from the Mountains of Transylvania to the Mountains of Southern Appalachia. My paternal side is from North Carolina for generations, so I'm going to Andy Griffith it.

Still going back and forth on more substative changes, but I had ChatGPT suggest some and it came back with not-terrible (if not terribly interesting) options. I might just do a find/replace for some of the names to make it work, although I'm a little worried about getting confused.

Not sure if hillbilly is really a step in the right direction, but I doubt anyone would write an elegy about it. At least I could add some blue people in. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Fugates

To be honest, Count Chocula Strahd sounds good to me! :D But the Appalachian theme seems pretty good too, actually - a very intriguing idea!

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I personally hate CoS but Appalachia re-skinning sounds really cool. Doubly so if you can add some purely American monsters, like a jackalope.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Now I'm imagining a CoS remake where Strahd is a corrupt sheriff and I'm hooting and hollering.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
“Dagnabbit! Foiled again by them Duke brothers!”

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Madmarker posted:

Both Psionics and Spells exist in Dark Sun and are very distinct.

Spellcasting in addition to taking spell slots, in most cases also drains the life out of the surrounding environment and people (which leads to the blight throughout the region)

Further, there are no Gods who can reach the world of Athas to supply Clerics with prayers, so there is no Clerical magic as supplied by a deity. There are however Clerics of particular elements.

The populace at large recognize when spellcasting is done and there is a heavy stigma against it (unless you are in the direct service of a dragon/sorcerer-king) however, no such stigma exists with Psionics.

It's worth noting that nearly everyone (or everyone? I forget) had a "wild talent" and so could use some psionics themselves. So psionicists were less seen as mutants and just as folks who got good at that weird ESP we all know how to do.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Tias posted:

It's worth noting that nearly everyone (or everyone? I forget) had a "wild talent" and so could use some psionics themselves. So psionicists were less seen as mutants and just as folks who got good at that weird ESP we all know how to do.

All PCs got wild talents, but not everybody had one.

It's good you bring up the idea of mutants because that's precisely what it is. Dark Sun is full of wild mutants but to the point that they became mostly unremarkable. The elf tribe Sadira runs around with in The Amber Enchantress had a big reptilian mutant guy who is treated as any other member of the tribe, and this is in a world where elves are especially xenophobic.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Trivia posted:

I personally hate CoS but Appalachia re-skinning sounds really cool.

The Wyzard did this over on rpg.net a few years ago: Ravenloft County. It's quite good.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm wondering if maybe there's a design "issue"* with 5e, whenever I google "How to Multiclass classes X and Y?" I for the most part, with most combinations I could think of that for narrative reasons sound fun, get the results of "These two classes conflict in fundamental ways." with most solutions/workarounds being unsatisfying.

Was this something solved in 4e/Pathfinder/Some other TTRPG and am I imagining this or does it seem like 5e's design philosophy seems to more often than not, encourages you to stick to a single class?

I think I miss 3.5e's prestige classes because even if two classes kinda conflicted the Prestige class allowed for some sort of viable progression in "both"?

*Insofar as I'd like to do this, but doesn't seem to be mechanically encouraged if one also wants to be optimal or non-nerfed relative to anyone else who are playing semi-optimally.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm wondering if maybe there's a design "issue"* with 5e, whenever I google "How to Multiclass classes X and Y?" I for the most part, with most combinations I could think of that for narrative reasons sound fun, get the results of "These two classes conflict in fundamental ways." with most solutions/workarounds being unsatisfying. . . . does it seem like 5e's design philosophy seems to more often than not, encourages you to stick to a single class?

No this is absolutely the case. 5e wasn't really designed for multiclassing, it got added late in the development process from what I've heard. Past that, 5e's whole design philosophy is focused on accessibility for new players and simplification of what was seen as overly complex character building in prior editions filled with trap options. There's a reason that going single class in 5e almost always works fine and multiclassing only sometimes works -- multiclassing wasn't a priority.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Just about anything you'd want to do with multiclassing, unless it's some really dumb mechanical interaction that breaks the game, you're almost always better off doing with the cross class feats. This seems like it's gonna be especially true in 5.5 based on what they've shown

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm wondering if maybe there's a design "issue"* with 5e, whenever I google "How to Multiclass classes X and Y?" I for the most part, with most combinations I could think of that for narrative reasons sound fun, get the results of "These two classes conflict in fundamental ways." with most solutions/workarounds being unsatisfying.

Was this something solved in 4e/Pathfinder/Some other TTRPG and am I imagining this or does it seem like 5e's design philosophy seems to more often than not, encourages you to stick to a single class?

I think I miss 3.5e's prestige classes because even if two classes kinda conflicted the Prestige class allowed for some sort of viable progression in "both"?

*Insofar as I'd like to do this, but doesn't seem to be mechanically encouraged if one also wants to be optimal or non-nerfed relative to anyone else who are playing semi-optimally.

As everyone said 5e multiclassing is bad and poorly thought out, it's almost exclusively used to take 1 or 2 levels in something to steal early class features like eldritch blast from Warlock or something. Pathfinder multiclass is pretty much exactly the same as 3.5, and 4e basically removed it from the game "fixed it" by changing it to multiclass feats where you just take feats that start out giving you the basic class features of the second class and then let you swap powers out from your current class to the other one's. There were niche uses for it I think but like 5e multiclassing you rarely if ever want to do it. I think PF2e does it in a very similar way but I imagine they probably did it a little better because of like a decade of experience since then but I don't know much about it.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Anyone who tells you that two classes cannot thematically coexist on a character sheet is being reductive. The only true mechanical reason (aside from stat optimization) to preclude a multiclass combination would be that a Barbarians cannot cast magic while raging, but even that has edge cases. You are also always welcome to multiclass without meeting the requirements if your table agrees to it, especially if you have a fun thematic reason to do so. I feel that the multiclass stat requirements are there to serve as an indicator to newer players that they should probably not proceed with the class dip.

That being said, the multiclass requirements DO make sense for the most part. Certain classes rely heavily on certain stats and if your PC is not good at those things then they are arguably doing themselves a disservice by multiclassing. You arguably should not be an Artificer if you are too dumb to understand your own machinations. You arguably should not be a Barbarian if you are too frail for combat. I wouldn't stop anyone from going either route but I also wouldn't bend over backwards to make the campaign match their decision. If someone wants to run a <10 CHA Paladin, so be it, but your spells now suck and your auras provide no benefit to the party. Congrats!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I think that there’s a lot of good multiclassing opportunities available, but just as with Prestige classes you’re going to want to plan ahead to know what you’re getting into. Usually there’s some combination of sub-classes or features that will be synergistic. Maybe multiclassing is not quite as powerful in 5e as in other editions, but I’m ok with that. Feats and backgrounds are often very good ways to mechanically incorporate character concepts without involving the delicate balancing required from potent multiclassing.

In general, classes that share primary abilities tend to multiclass well. I often used this resource guide to help me come up with character ideas for multi-class characters: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?502248-Ultimate-Optimizer-s-Multiclassing-Guide

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
D&D is primarily a game about strong thematic archetypes and power advancement. True multiclassing doesn’t work with those goals very well.

That said, smart use of backgrounds, feats, and subclasses can cover 95% of “multiclass” character concepts.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Glagha posted:

I think PF2e does it in a very similar way but I imagine they probably did it a little better because of like a decade of experience since then but I don't know much about it.

There's no "real" multiclassing in pf2e. What there is instead is the ability to take an archetype as a feat instead of a class feat. This gives you a limited version of that class with several advancements available as class feats. You still advance in your regular class, but you can be a ranger with a rogue archetype and eventually get sneak attack, for example.

To complicate this there are also archetypes that aren't based on classes at all, like becoming a lich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

whydirt posted:

D&D is primarily a game about strong thematic archetypes and power advancement. True multiclassing doesn’t work with those goals very well.

That said, smart use of backgrounds, feats, and subclasses can cover 95% of “multiclass” character concepts.

It's good to remember that AD&D got multiclassing because its original classes did not support one of D&D's strong thematic archetypes, the elf. So a system to level simultaneously in two classes was added to let players play elves who were fighters and magic users at the same time, recreating their basic elves in advanced games. Multiclassing expanded to cover more than just fighters and magic users, but was limited to non-human PCs.

The multiclassing that we saw in 3E was more akin to AD&D's dual class system for humans, where you stopped progression in one class and began a new progression in another. This was designed to represent switching careers or changing from one archetype to another. It wasn't designed to combine the powers of both classes, which is why you didn't get XP if you used your old class's abilities until you exceeded your old class's level in your new class.

5E has a wider variety of classes than AD&D did, and has subclasses to cover even more archetypes than the basic classes do. As brought up in our psionics discussion, there's a rogue subclass for playing the archetype "Betsy Braddock, AKA Psylocke". So it doesn't really need multiclassing to serve the need multiclassing was designed to address. And it doesn't need multiclassing to cover dual classing because the concept of re-speccing has trickled over from video games. But it still needs multiclassing because D&D has had multiclassing for forever, and while WotC wants character creation to be simpler and more approachable than 3E, they also want to still appeal to players who enjoyed 3E's more complicated character builds.

In short, multiclassing is another one of D&D's sacred cows that has long outlived its usefulness, but is now too baked into the game and players' expectations of it to get rid of.