Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

On twitter I keep getting ads for Secret Invasion Season 2, but its twitter so I can't tell if it is fake or not.
LOL, I was confused about what you were referring to, but I just scrolled on Twitter and I think you saw an ad for the Apple+ series “Invasion” season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am trying not to let SI take up any memory, but I realized another thing they COULD have done is, as one of the things they did try to do is have the Skrulls be an analog for the African American experience, is bring up how the Asgardians are acceptable aliens, because they look human, like strong, beautiful humans. People can accept that, but Skrulls are weird lizard people so humans won't accept them.

That might be a better for a gay or trans experience though.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just had a random thought about Secret Invasion- Fury goes all the way to a graveyard on the Russian border just so he can get one handgun and his eyepatch and then fly back to England
in retrospect this show was dumb as hell. also on original viewing this show was dumb as hell.

Feige I demand an Assembled for Secret Invasion but only if you tell me what the hell really happened here. spill the true deets, I want it like the Frozen 2 doc where you can see them rewriting the thing on the fly

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Sivart13 posted:

Feige I demand an Assembled for Secret Invasion but only if you tell me what the hell really happened here. spill the true deets, I want it like the Frozen 2 doc where you can see them rewriting the thing on the fly

It’s insanely bad. It’s almost like somebody came in and made demands and they went gently caress it, fine,It’s on you.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I have to admit though despite how dumb and pointless and unimaginative Secret Invasion is, I can't rate it too low in absolute terms because I've seen The Book of Boba Fett and Mandalorian S3.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sivart13 posted:

I have to admit though despite how dumb and pointless and unimaginative Secret Invasion is, I can't rate it too low in absolute terms because I've seen The Book of Boba Fett and Mandalorian S3.

BoBF has the train heist and the first Mando episode which are worlds better than anything in Secret Invasion.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sivart13 posted:

Those all had some moments that were good. SI has nothing.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQC7TWkhl0E
Felt this summed up my thoughts pretty well.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 9, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Feige went out to confirm that Secret Invasion takes place before The Marvels, even though it was originally scheduled to release after The Marvels.

That seems to throw some more evidence on the pile for people wondering if they rewrote and reshot parts of it last second.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TIP posted:

I think there will be a throwaway line about how ritson's declaration of war on aliens was really unpopular and ross won by a landslide on the promise of repealing it

neatly undone, can now be ignored

What year is the MCU in right now? I'd figure the more likely scenario is that Ritson was impeached and convicted, leading to his replacement by Ross, who was his VP at the time. Okay, granted that this is only the most likely scenario in the MCU. In our world if Trump gets re-elected and calls for Mexican and African "cuisine" to be made from Hispanic and Black people that are hunted from horseback by rich, white people, the GOP will still go "We support our pwesident. Pwease let us suck your dick again, Donnie. Pweeease."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Everyone posted:

What year is the MCU in right now?

It's impossible to say. Legitimately one of the things that annoys me about this franchise is the timeline making no sense nowadays. It doesn't matter at all but ever since the timeline error at the beginning of Spider-Man Homecoming I've felt they haven't been thinking about this stuff at all, and the five-year timeskip made it impossible to keep any kind of consistent timeline.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Arist posted:

It's impossible to say. Legitimately one of the things that annoys me about this franchise is the timeline making no sense nowadays. It doesn't matter at all but ever since the timeline error at the beginning of Spider-Man Homecoming I've felt they haven't been thinking about this stuff at all, and the five-year timeskip made it impossible to keep any kind of consistent timeline.

Covid basically time-travelled the MCU.

Endgame took place at the end of 2023. The MCU usually moved parallel with real world time, so it should be around 2027 or 2028.

But, the pandemic delayed everything and they have been really vague about all the dates and just use "Present Day" now.

Secret Invasion takes place right after an election year, so unless they changed the constitution during the snap, then it should be either 2025 or 2029.

Seems most likely that the pandemic magically froze time in the MCU and it is supposed to be 2025 now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wait, if Secret Invasion takes place right after Ritson's election (or re-election, w/e), how are we getting President Ross for Thunderbolts?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Arist posted:

Wait, if Secret Invasion takes place right after Ritson's election (or re-election, w/e), how are we getting President Ross for Thunderbolts?

Everyone assumed he would be dead or a Skrull in Secret Invasion, but nobody knows now!

It's based on the New World Order storyline, so there is probably some secret society conspiracy involving Hulks and Aliens to get Ross installed.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
2025 makes sense still for it to be Ritson's first year in office

If we see a winter scene in The Marvels, we'll know it'll be 2026 soon.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

JazzFlight posted:

https://youtu.be/mQC7TWkhl0E

They're usually pretty spot on with their 'reviews'. Definitely drove home the pointlessness of the series.

I also liked the thumbnail they used was a cleaned up version of the greatest shot in the entire history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It's just a drat shame anyone who didn't watch the show will think it's just one of those joke thumbnails with distorted visuals.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the thing I care the least about in the MCU is what year it is. Sure the timeline matters in terms of what comes first but what actual year it is? What year the president was elected? I truly couldn't give less of a poo poo and don't understand why it matters. Its a comic book.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

JazzFlight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQC7TWkhl0E
Disturbing how well this sums up the series

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The latter X-Men movies kind of had a fun idea of embracing Comic Book Time with characters barely aging over 30 years.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
These skrulls are always naked

I don't think the show did enough with that

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

maybealabia posted:

These skrulls are always naked

I don't think the show did enough with that

They should have gone with the completely batshit crazy ideas for Skrulls they used in the comics:

- Have Skrulls turn into air molecules to hide.

- Have Skrulls form human wombs inside themselves that they maintain constantly while shifting into other forms to secretly have the children of humans.

- Have Skrulls turn their arms into blades and lasers.

- Have a Skrull turn into a lamp and hide in someone's office for weeks.

- Have Skrulls constantly changing gender to have sex with each other.

- Have Skrulls use their shapeshifting ability to perfectly recreate the brain of someone else that (somehow) gives them the memories of the person and can make it so even they think they are the person they are shapeshifting into. To the point where even literal mind readers couldn't tell if someone was a Skrull.

Edit: Also, have Skrulls shapeshift so much that they accidentally create super cancer and super tuberculosis from mutating their DNA so much (and apparently their shapeshifting mutates the tuberculosis bacteria in their lungs that they create when mimicking humans).

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 9, 2023

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They should have gone with the completely batshit crazy ideas for Skrulls they used in the comics:

- Have Skrulls turn into air molecules to hide.

- Have Skrulls form human wombs inside themselves that they maintain constantly while shifting into other forms to secretly have the children of humans.

- Have Skrulls turn their arms into blades and lasers.

- Have a Skrull turn into a lamp and hide in someone's office for weeks.

- Have Skrulls constantly changing gender to have sex with each other.

- Have Skrulls use their shapeshifting ability to perfectly recreate the brain of someone else that (somehow) gives them the memories of the person and can make it so even they think they are the person they are shapeshifting into. To the point where even literal mind readers couldn't tell if someone was a Skrull.

Edit: Also, have Skrulls shapeshift so much that they accidentally create super cancer and super tuberculosis from mutating their DNA so much (and apparently their shapeshifting mutates the tuberculosis bacteria in their lungs that they create when mimicking humans).
Some of these ideas are basically the anime Parasyte and it’s loving cool and scary.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

JazzFlight posted:

LOL, I was confused about what you were referring to, but I just scrolled on Twitter and I think you saw an ad for the Apple+ series “Invasion” season 2.

Ah, that must be it, thanks.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Not a single Skrull got hypnotised into being a cow, it's a loving disgrace :mad:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rarity posted:

Not a single Skrull got hypnotised into being a cow, it's a loving disgrace :mad:

:hai:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Calvin and Hobbes celebrated another Christmas every single year and never aged a day. It super doesn't matter.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I just remembered that dark phoenix had Jennifer Lawrence's character, a shape shifter, die a stupid " stabbed through the chest" death and I thought, why can't she just move her vital organs somewhere else in her body? Almost every skrull death in secret invasion is like that, all these aliens with shifting abilities who are too uncreative to prevent their easily avoidable deaths

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I just remembered that dark phoenix had Jennifer Lawrence's character, a shape shifter, die a stupid " stabbed through the chest" death and I thought, why can't she just move her vital organs somewhere else in her body? Almost every skrull death in secret invasion is like that, all these aliens with shifting abilities who are too uncreative to prevent their easily avoidable deaths

I mean maybe she can if she knows in advance they're going to be stabbed

I'm not sure Mystique was ever shown in a non human configuration though

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Jennifer Lwarence escaped the franchise, please don't take that away from her.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Typical victim blaming.

"If her internal organs didn't want to get stabbed, then they shouldn't have been in the bad part of town."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

maybealabia posted:

She's turned into a bird before.

Also

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also

Now thats just someones fetish.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Megillah Gorilla posted:

https://files.catbox.moe/ggx78v.mp4

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I finished watching the relevant bits of Secret Invasion TV show.

Wow. This sucks. Why any of this? This just reminds me of the cascading failures of other marvel tv shows like some parts of Agents of Shield, Iron Fist and Defenders. Except this one went full blackpill lib. I thought I dodged a bullet with avoiding cw shows after the first seasons to save myself from disappointment. But I feel like I'm uncovering a myriad of reasons why marvel tv is not that great a lot of the time.

I think I prefer Captain America and the Winter Soldier for the spy thriller stuff. I think Captain Marvel movie did the Skrull better than this show.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 10, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

Some of these ideas are basically the anime Parasyte and it’s loving cool and scary.

Yeah that's one fever dream of a show. Starts off with alien parasites infecting people and basically body snatching them with all the various 'is this a real person' intrigue that comes with, then the last few episodes go full shounen fighting anime :confused:

maybealabia posted:

What are you gonna do, stab me? No seriously I need to know ahead of time.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also

Get a load of those bombers :popeye:

fakeedit: I just noticed the tiny man Ratatouilleing her. Is it a tiny man or is she giant woman?

Annointed posted:

I finished watching the relevant bits of Secret Invasion TV show.

So you skipped the whole thing? BAM gottem :smug:

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I mean if you take the entirety of X men comics then literally everything has happened at least once, but that's irrelevant to movie continuity

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

maybealabia posted:

I mean if you take the entirety of X men comics then literally everything has happened at least once, but that's irrelevant to movie continuity

False.

Hitler has never been the leader of the X-Men, yet.

Wolverine has never had gender reassignment surgery, yet.

Only some of the X-Men have gone back in time to become their own parents/ensure their parents had sex.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

False.

Hitler has never been the leader of the X-Men, yet.

Only some of the X-Men have gone back in time to become their own parents/ensure their parents had sex.

Well if you include all my fanfic,

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

I'm not sure they can, uhh, reconfigure their bits. They'll just heal back, yah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

I'm not sure they can, uhh, reconfigure their bits. They'll just heal back, yah?

It's a good thing Wolverine is usually depicted as a decent looking bloke, because plastic surgery is right out.