Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vox Nihili posted:

Lahaina is gone

The nearby hurricane's winds fed the fire. Maui is burning like it's California.
Jesus…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

No power on Maui. Cell service is mostly gone. Only one real road available to evacuate the populated area and new fires are popping up everywhere.

Should add that the videos below are really unpleasant, so caution clicking on these

https://twitter.com/StrictlyChristo/status/1689356760476499968

https://twitter.com/goodvybe/status/1689201932945215489

The second video has a dead or likely soon to be body towards the very end, might consider mentioning that in your post.

These videos are reminding me of the Gatlinburg TN wildfire videos from 2016.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Vox Nihili posted:

Should add that the videos below are really unpleasant, so caution clicking on these

They drive past a dead person in the second one in case anybody is wondering how "unpleasant"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dog Case posted:

They drive past a dead person in the second one in case anybody is wondering how "unpleasant"

Yeah added that. Basically posted these in real time while watching

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
drat. Looks like Paradise, CA.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

SirPablo posted:

drat. Looks like Paradise, CA.

That was my thought too. Came on fast, and only one exit route. Horrible.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Meanwhile, in Norway.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

Lahaina is gone

The nearby hurricane's winds fed the fire. Maui is burning like it's California.

whole town's just smoldering rubble, jesus

https://twitter.com/WxNB_/status/1689384898958917633

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

so one of the Hawaiian islands has basically burned down and a glacier exploded in Alaska and floored an area with more water than even the worst case predictions for that area. this is all fine and good lol

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

It was windy and the air was kinda weird and foggy yesterday on the Big Island but I wasn't expecting to wake up to hurricane fires...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

They're saying that the wind has died down enough that they can get choppers in the air on Maui. Far too late for a lot of older people who weren't ready to flee at a moment's notice. :(

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

they're only reporting 6 dead so far but it's hard not to imagine that number growing substantially

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

aftermath on the ground in Lahaina

TW: unidentifiable dead animals

https://twitter.com/larryhuynh/status/1689387306665574402

looks like the Banyan Tree got burned pretty badly, not sure if it can survive that

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

jesus

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
How did this even happen? I would have thought Hawaii would be too wet for this kind of thing.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

skooma512 posted:

How did this even happen? I would have thought Hawaii would be too wet for this kind of thing.

drought + 60 mph gusts from a nearby cat 4 hurricane (but not near enough/oriented to bring rain or moisture)

also, the leeward portions of Maui are surprisingly dry to begin with:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When is the last time an American town burned like that, not a town that a forest fire swept over, like Paradise, but a building‐to‐building fire? 1928?

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 01:01 on Aug 10, 2023

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Platystemon posted:

When is the last time an American town burned like that, not a town that a forest fire swept over, like Paradise, but a building‐to‐building fire?? 1928?

Part of Santa Rosa burned when the Tubbs fire burned into town. It was a wildfire but at that point it was just burning buildings and houses

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Dog Case posted:

Part of Santa Rosa burned when the Tubbs fire burned into town. It was a wildfire but at that point it was just burning buildings and houses

Yeah, 2017. I remember a video of Berkley(?) firefighters driving in to help, and when they got their, the staging area was already burned down.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The Almeda Fire in Oregon in Sep 2020 comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwvmdxKRiE4

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dog Case posted:

yeah, Santa Rosa was a very similar scenario. the fire came in overnight, fed by powerful gusts of wind and hot, dry air, and caught people almost totally by surprise

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

I think this might be the event to crack ping a lot of folks

I'm certainly in awe. Can't wait for my turn at natural disaster (freezing to death in Texas)

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
It's in Hawaii, that's practically a foreign country and extremely removed from the East Coast. The needle won't budge.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Howdges posted:

I think this might be the event to crack ping a lot of folks

This sentiment is common, sensible for the vanishing few of us with empathy and a real grasp of material reality, and laudable. but nope, not even a little bit.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

This sentiment is common, sensible for the vanishing few of us with empathy and a real grasp of material reality, and laudable. but nope, not even a little bit.

I really love being ostracized and made to suffer extra for the sin of being able to imagine the suffering of others, really great society amazing 5 stars

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

x-post before & after shot

before

after

Lahaina was the capital of the early Hawaiian Kingdom and was an important cultural location on modern Maui, it's really lovely that it got hit instead of one of the many unremarkable resort and golf course conglomerates down the road

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SirPablo posted:

It's in Hawaii, that's practically a foreign country and extremely removed from the East Coast. The needle won't budge.

now now white people are trying to refund their vacations

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Looks like it was totally bombed out. Just rubble.

Superior Colorado (near Boulder) was partially wiped out in freak wind fire last December, but not the same scale.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
"Freak wind" is now "regular wind"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Vox Nihili posted:

x-post before & after shot

needs to be seen by everyone.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

all the trees and most of the buildings reduced to ashes. gently caress. how many people just lost their homes?

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

SirPablo posted:

This might be Hawaii's Pearl Harbor moment.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

ex post facho posted:

"Freak wind" is now "regular wind"

this was the Marshall fire, that just popped up randomly in December and obliterated the town in hours. Not even a forested area, just a grass fire whipped up by crazy winds after extended drought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgP0_9q6VqY

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
We're going to see more of these things as housing has expanded into dry and forested regions into towns that didn't exist 10 years prior. Probably partially why there is such a big issue with insurance markets lately.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildland%E2%80%93urban_interface

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Vox Nihili posted:

yeah, Santa Rosa was a very similar scenario. the fire came in overnight, fed by powerful gusts of wind and hot, dry air, and caught people almost totally by surprise

I'm a Santa Rosan, and waking up reading about Lahaina brought back all kinds of memories. We've been evacuated a couple times since 2017 too, for fires that got close.

At least we expect it now.
Poor Lahainans are going to fear windy days for the rest of their lives, we sure do.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vox Nihili posted:

Lahaina is gone

Gonna have to edit that terrible names meme but it's climate proof and we just crossed off Hawaii

Shame, and also shocking. Bigger city than I expected

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Gonna have to edit that terrible names meme but it's climate proof and we just crossed off Hawaii

Shame, and also shocking. Bigger city than I expected

Hawaii was never climate proof because it's not food self-sufficient (at least now)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bip Roberts posted:

Hawaii was never climate proof because it's not food self-sufficient (at least now)

Also it's prone to cyclones which with sea level temperatures rising isn't exactly great thing to have. Also low level areas will be underwater, or prone to flooding it's predicted:

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/hawaii-wave-sea-level-rise-b2125990.html

So yeah for many reasons climate change will probably really suck for Hawaii. Not as much as some pacific island country that will pretty much just be straight up just underwater at high tide, but way down the list of places I would of thought of as less likely to be affected by climate change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

https://imgur.com/uzcBRDC

drat.

Shifty Pony has issued a correction as of 12:23 on Aug 10, 2023