Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

This kid looks wrong. I mean, a different kind of wrong than usual. Is Charles Boyce okay? :ohdear:

That's the kid's avatar. The kid is outside the window in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I feel like Boyce has been disintegrating since a decade before this thread even started.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

(Hiding from a boy in a cupboard with my friends) I can't believe I'm single

Where'd you go? What was THAT all about?

(Telling the story later) And then he like... looked outside? We were all like, "What the gently caress? What is that guy DOING??" Like did the agency send us some LUNATIC

Chicken Parmigiana fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 10, 2023

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Is there anyone interested in more John Allison-verse stuff? I'm tinkering with a script to grab all of Scary-Go-Round off the Internet Archive... albeit very slowly, because the IA is like that. It's got some warts but not so much that Allison has memory holed it like he did with Bobbins, and there are a lot of fun stories. Plus you get a lot of fantastic pre-getting-his-poo poo-together Ryan Beckwith moments. There's about seven years of mostly M-F strips so I'd probably post them a week at a time per post.

I'm grabbing these collections for my own archiving anyways so if people aren't interested my powershell fiddling will still have been worth it at least :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dustin deserving his reputation as a lovely employee is the comic strip surprise of the year

e: heck yes Allison stuff owns.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Kazinsal posted:

Is there anyone interested in more John Allison-verse stuff? I'm tinkering with a script to grab all of Scary-Go-Round off the Internet Archive... albeit very slowly, because the IA is like that. It's got some warts but not so much that Allison has memory holed it like he did with Bobbins, and there are a lot of fun stories. Plus you get a lot of fantastic pre-getting-his-poo poo-together Ryan Beckwith moments. There's about seven years of mostly M-F strips so I'd probably post them a week at a time per post.

I'm grabbing these collections for my own archiving anyways so if people aren't interested my powershell fiddling will still have been worth it at least :v:

I love Scary Go Round; I'd be very interested in this

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Legend of Bill

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

ACAB

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

I haven't been paying attention because this strip loving blows, is there a reason that this woman is wearing completely opaque white swim goggles (as evident by how they wrap around her head and have thick contour lines that match the part where the lenses should be)

---

also a friend pulled some late '90s Compu-Toon for a server I'm in (she found it in the business pages, not the funny pages) and I'll have to go grab some more of them later. They're... bad? They're bad. But at least they're.... They're bad.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sam begins his investigation:

Sam rushes to Steve's office:

Later, at the hospital:

The next morning:

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 10, 2023

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 06, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

Hostile V posted:

Legit In The Second Comic Rudy Doesn't Even Seem Super Off Base By Asking This Because She's A loving Snake And She's Also Studying Medicine, Plus Everyone Is Related To Everyone In This drat Comic, But No, Use Social Media To Spy On People And Collate Personal Info Instead

I can't believe breakout character 'smelly bird' hasn't made it into the modern strips

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

LvK posted:

also a friend pulled some late '90s Compu-Toon for a server I'm in (she found it in the business pages, not the funny pages) and I'll have to go grab some more of them later. They're... bad? They're bad. But at least they're.... They're bad.

It's a relief that computoon has always been garbage. It would be much sadder if we were left with the shambling corpse of something great. It was slightly better. The cartooning has a smudgey charm. I believe that he knows what a fax machine is - though you can see technology already escaping his grasp.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

computoon is like if you took the incomprehensible final thoughts of a dying man in the seconds before his death and spread them out over the course of 30 years and also drew it really badly

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Alright, I'll bite.

What happened to sharks in 2017?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'd guess it's more of a "wow, that Trump-into-pandemic era" comment. Seems lazy enough for the strip.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

LvK posted:

I haven't been paying attention because this strip loving blows, is there a reason that this woman is wearing completely opaque white swim goggles (as evident by how they wrap around her head and have thick contour lines that match the part where the lenses should be)

They're supposed to be fashionable pointed old lady glasses but the artist is lazy.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 07, 1958)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/9/03

You're going to be really upset in about a decade, Rob.

Brenda Starr 6/24/51

Smokey Stover 2/26/56

Everyday Movies 8/31/36

"Elsie always comes back from her vacation engaged. Wonder what type he'll be this year?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/21/41

Bonus News Story! And yet people still claim the Nazis were atheists.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 10, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

This arc of Apartment 3-G is quickly taking a turning for the worse. Why is she even meeting with this stalker? Tell this loser to take a hike and go back to your plan of shagging Papagoras.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

But they didn't do anything. :psyduck: Making a pilgrimage to colder waters every time you want to transform is a huge hassle, not to mention they didn't even solve the main issue of the ocean being warmer now.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
You know, in FOOB Michael has a point. At least these days, illegal as it is to discriminate, we know how easy it is to toss that resume where someone says they're a parent or involved in some kinda kid league poo poo. Lynn, no one cares you had three kids you don't really care about.

As for Safe Havens, much like Hellworld, if you are a Main Character and just show up, you get rewarded with awesome prizes beyond your dreams. Like pinatas full of sentient creatures to eat.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Much to consider

A+J

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

In order to learn about cooperation the mermaid had to leave the ocean, where there is famously no concept of individuals combining separate strengths or acting in numbers for collective benefit.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

amigolupus posted:

This arc of Apartment 3-G is quickly taking a turning for the worse. Why is she even meeting with this stalker? Tell this loser to take a hike and go back to your plan of shagging Papagoras.

But they didn't do anything. :psyduck: Making a pilgrimage to colder waters every time you want to transform is a huge hassle, not to mention they didn't even solve the main issue of the ocean being warmer now.

Well they did do something, which was create a flawed genetic shapeshifting potion that left creatures morphed in another form for god knows how long and are now getting praise for unfucking their own mistake except not really.

I think this really crystalizes why I hate stuff like Safe Havens and Kevin & Kell. The main characters constantly gently caress up in some way that is clearly their fault or have something go mildly wrong for them but instead of there being any sort of consequence, some other character will show up, make some cute quip that translates to "they knew they were good the whole time/were right all along" and then the main characters are rewarded for it. It's complete trash and I hate it and I will never stop reading it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

amigolupus posted:

Why don't the merfolk just bring cold water back to the warm water? Then they can transform anytime they want! :science:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 23, 1935)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire: Ka-RERUN!

Thimble Theater (March 14, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (July 9-11, 1942)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah good point, guy. It's not like anyone's gonna be making weapons after the war ends in 3 years.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Does Hagar have a new artist and/or writer? It's definitely new and I like it as much as the previous tone. It's not often a legacy strip keeps punching this well decades in.

Jucika "192 - Jucika Makes Better Use Of The Working Hours"

Jucika adds "Makes Better Use" to the title for the joke, give or take a few extra words. It'd be "Jucika's Working Hours" originally.

"193 - Jucika's Present"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Doomykins posted:

Does Hagar have a new artist and/or writer? It's definitely new and I like it as much as the previous tone. It's not often a legacy strip keeps punching this well decades in.]

The Slylock Fox guy took it over a few years ago, I think he's doing a great job.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah good point, guy. It's not like anyone's gonna be making weapons after the war ends in 3 years.

They failed to predict the military industrial complex's forthcoming dominance over American society.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
i think they're also probably worried about getting bombed if things go poorly, right

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If Pierce finishes college at 21, gets burnt out by 22, and gets a Master's degree by 24, he could start aimlessly drifting around as soon as 25 or 26! What a go-getter.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

The Slylock Fox guy took it over a few years ago, I think he's doing a great job.
WAIT, WHAT?!?!? :stare:

Drifting is probably accurate but how does the expect to be able to afford a van with double student debt?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

He never said it had to be a good van. You can buy a crap van, tear out the interior, and build yourself a little living setup all in the parking lot of the Home Depot you work at while paying the minimums on your student loans.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Poil posted:

Drifting is probably accurate but how does the expect to be able to afford a van with double student debt?

Bidenomics!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Doomykins posted:

Does Hagar have a new artist and/or writer? It's definitely new and I like it as much as the previous tone. It's not often a legacy strip keeps punching this well decades in.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Poil posted:

Yeah, my reaction too. But it doesn't help that everything Hagar-related is a little bit scrambled.

Chris Browne stepped away from drawing Hagar in 2015, when Gary Hallgren took over art duties. Hallgren has serious underground comics bona-fides, being one of the artists involved in Air Pirates Funnies, and thus being one of the artists who ate a Disney lawsuit over Air Pirates Funnies. He also illustrated Dr. Oz's books, which I hope he atones for someday.

It doesn't look like Hallgren ever got in-panel credit for his work. The only signature that's appeared on the strip since 1989 is Chris Browne's, and to this day Comics Kingdom gives the sole "current artist" credit to him. Which is a hell of a trick, seeing as how he died at the beginning of the year.

That's a long way around to stating that it wouldn't surprise me a bit to find out that Bob Weber Jr had taken over writing Hagar without even a peep of publicity or official confirmation ever. But I've been put on before, so someone's gotta show me the receipts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Poil posted:

can't be in debt if they can't find you to send you the bills