Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

whoo boy I woke up to half a bottle of no tears shampoo all over the floor and couch because she was "making slime". Not really what I had in mind when I woke up today. Now she's "camping" under my desk while I browse the YOS is pretty cute :)

gabby’s doll house introducing spa science to kids is probably the only thing I don’t like about the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Arson Daily posted:

whoo boy I woke up to half a bottle of no tears shampoo all over the floor and couch because she was "making slime". Not really what I had in mind when I woke up today. Now she's "camping" under my desk while I browse the YOS is pretty cute :)

lol :rip:

my kid's been going through her "making slime" phase for like 4 years. we go through SO MUCH elmer's glue, shaving cream, and contact solution. :negative:

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Something that took me a while to realize is that parenting is mostly show and not tell. For dangerous stuff obviously you start with saying no knives. But when the age is right show them how to handle stuff. For everything else they are just going to imitate your

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zokie posted:

Something that took me a while to realize is that parenting is mostly show and not tell. For dangerous stuff obviously you start with saying no knives. But when the age is right show them how to handle stuff. For everything else they are just going to imitate your

yeah as the kids age it goes from being physically demanding and shifts towards you actually have to be a better person as a role model, because kids kind of just become you.

which ain’t easy. there’s lots of things I don’t like
about my dad but it’s only now I can see that I have those same qualities and would not pass them down to my kids but it ain’t easy

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Elder Postsman posted:

lol :rip:

my kid's been going through her "making slime" phase for like 4 years. we go through SO MUCH elmer's glue, shaving cream, and contact solution. :negative:

just grow a couple hagfish in the basement, you’ll have all the slime you could ever need

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

gabby’s doll house introducing spa science to kids is probably the only thing I don’t like about the show

omg is this why my son is always squirting out all the soap :rip:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

when I was a kid I loved to squeeze out the bottle of shampoo into the bathtub because it was denser than water and would make shampoo snakes

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
nothing like waking up to a 4yo’s drawing shoved in your face carrying the whiff of sharpie.

now that they’re older, it’s physically less stressful, but much more emotionally draining.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Eeyo posted:

just grow a couple hagfish in the basement, you’ll have all the slime you could ever need

Look bud I hate my in laws too but I try to keep it cordial at least.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

kitten smoothie posted:

when I was a kid I loved to squeeze out the bottle of shampoo into the bathtub because it was denser than water and would make shampoo snakes

I once discovered that once the bath was empty you could zoom the soap around it like a sick rear end banked curve and this ended up basically coating the bath in soap and creating an incredible slip hazard

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
if you kick the soap toward the back of ane empty tub it'll ricochet up and you can catch it all cool like. I found this out and immediately pulled my leg back for a kick into the tub spout that i forgot existed, cutting a big chunk of skin off my heel and pouring blood and 10 year old curse words all over the bathroom

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

MrQueasy posted:

now that they’re older, it’s physically less stressful, but much more emotionally draining.

if you care about being a good parent, the pre teens are infinitely more difficult than anything before :sigh:

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

polyester concept posted:

if you care about being a good parent, the pre teens are infinitely more difficult than anything before :sigh:

Dear god why. Having a 1 month old and a 4 year old, I keep telling myself it's gonna get easier when they're older. At least, that I'll be less exhausted. But I guess that is not happening? Or do I get a slight break in the 5-10 year old range?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

idk if this is true across the board. my now 14 has definitely developed his own personality and since his mother and I espouse independent thinking well he certainly forms his own opinions.

but he’s not a challenging kid, in fact he’s defo got some of the best parts of me, which is like kind, easy going etc.

I’m also stoked he’s pursuing skateboarding. he was never a sporty kid at all and in fact most of his childhood he suffered from flat feet and walking longer distances was a challenge. he’s developed a lot of balance already

I think my youngest will be more challenging. he’s 13 next year

he’s very very capable, at doing work assigned to him. he gets basically perfect school reports. but he’s not very emotionally stable, and has little to no imagination. if the tasks given to him require self direction he falls flat, and I suspect the same kind of adhd qualities I have are in him too (although also very different in other ways because I am generally quite imaginative and creative), and I worry about how directionless he might end up. at least I know what to watch for whereas my parents didn’t really have a clue about me

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

echinopsis posted:

I think my youngest will be more challenging. he’s 13 next year. he’s very very capable, at doing work assigned to him. he gets basically perfect school reports. but he’s not very emotionally stable, and has little to no imagination. if the tasks given to him require self direction he falls flat, and I suspect the same kind of adhd qualities I have are in him too (although also very different in other ways because I am generally quite imaginative and creative), and I worry about how directionless he might end up. at least I know what to watch for whereas my parents didn’t really have a clue about me

this sounds like me at that age. good news is it all turned out fine in the end, bad news is that my lack of imagination and directionlessness took me down a lot of different paths on my way to get here (lots of majors in undergrad, then a dead-end stint in grad school). probably would have been stressful for my parents if they'd had higher expectations of me. all i can say is try to keep helping him find something he's passionate about (ideally something he can use to make money). for me that turned out to be data-related coding, but it took me a long time to figure that out. im hoping my kids are more like my wife who had a lot more direction.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

CompeAnansi posted:

Dear god why. Having a 1 month old and a 4 year old, I keep telling myself it's gonna get easier when they're older. At least, that I'll be less exhausted. But I guess that is not happening? Or do I get a slight break in the 5-10 year old range?

I know someone that had four boys under 5 (I think? Maybe it was 6) at the same time. just :rip:.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CompeAnansi posted:

this sounds like me at that age. good news is it all turned out fine in the end, bad news is that my lack of imagination and directionlessness took me down a lot of different paths on my way to get here (lots of majors in undergrad, then a dead-end stint in grad school). probably would have been stressful for my parents if they'd had higher expectations of me. all i can say is try to keep helping him find something he's passionate about (ideally something he can use to make money). for me that turned out to be data-related coding, but it took me a long time to figure that out. im hoping my kids are more like my wife who had a lot more direction.

hmm that is positive to hear. thanks

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I got so lucky with my teenage stepson (now 24), he really never exhibited all of the normal shithead teen boy behavior (which I had in spades jfc), got good grades and never did anything that got him in any real trouble. I feel like my wife and I used up all our good luck on him and my daughter is gonna be a huge pain lol.

kids are a never ending source of stress regardless of age. it just changes in how it manifests. babies need constant basic care like feeding and holding while toddlers to tweens need constant watching to help them with living in their own bodies and helping them understand how to act around others. teens you have to watch out for them so they're not eating tide pods and trying to bang everything that moves. adult children are the hardest because they're on their own and you have no way of knowing what they're doing day to day.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CompeAnansi posted:

It does get a whole lot easier. I love being with my kids now, but infant time gave me loving PTSD.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imo, once you’ve cleared the bar of them being able to wipe their own asses and put on their own seatbelts it’s significantly easier from a physically exhausting point of view

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
i just want my 19 mo to sleep through the night and not take 30-1.5 hrs to put down gahhhhbhh

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Anybody in here adopt? Been thinking about it more lately, know it's definitely the only way I'd want to raise a kid for sure anyhow. Want to get my poo poo more stable first, but wondering if anyone has any advice on the subject.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

kids are fun, babies are demons sent from hell to punish you via sleep deprivation and noise torture

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

babies are fun, toddlers are a lot of work, and then they hit 5 and it’s suddenly easy again

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Anybody in here adopt? Been thinking about it more lately, know it's definitely the only way I'd want to raise a kid for sure anyhow. Want to get my poo poo more stable first, but wondering if anyone has any advice on the subject.

working through the process right now with a local/ish agency. it's a lot

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

who bought/gave us this windmill that lights up and plays nursery rhymes? I will kill you

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

who bought/gave us this windmill that lights up and plays nursery rhymes? I will kill you

hey, be thankful it hasn't started glitching out

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MkMPYygKNlA&feature=sharec

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Put some tape over the speaker to muffle
it somewhat

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

nearly dead batteries are also useful to keep around. some toys that take three batteries will even run on 3V (only less intensely) so you can make a dummy cell out of aluminum foil to lower the volume.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

well why not posted:

kids are fun, babies are demons sent from hell to punish you via sleep deprivation and noise torture
:same:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

babies are fun, toddlers are a lot of work, and then they hit 5 and it’s suddenly easy again
toddlers are quite a bit of work but nowhere near newborn/infant. And toddlers are actual persons with character and (limited) agency, way more rewarding to raise IMO.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 11, 2023

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Our lil daughter is so much more fun now that she is 12+ months, this summer has been awesome we just keep going out and picking berries. But at the same time I can’t wait until around 18 months when it feels
like the ego is really turned on, at least that’s how it was with our boys. Talking to that little girl is going to be so much fun

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

InternetOfTwinks posted:

we adopted our son at birth. agreed that it’s a lot. and expensive.

there’s an adoption thread in a/t if you want to read through: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785900

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

well why not posted:

I actually had trouble knowing if something was wrong, because I could always faintly hear crying if it was too quiet, even if the baby was asleep in front of me so I knew she was fine.

Putting my first to bed was friggin bomb disposal poo poo too. The second at least was super easy on that regard.

Babies, not even twice once.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

:same:

toddlers are quite a bit of work but nowhere near newborn/infant. And toddlers are actual persons with character and (limited) agency, way more rewarding to raise IMO.

ime the toddlers are way more work because they have the agency to do something to get hurt, whereas a baby doesn’t until they start crawling (and at that point it gets more challenging since you can’t get much done once they decide they wanna go thattaway)

THAT BEING SAID all of my kids were sleeping through the night by 8 weeks, so to me babies were easier goin and more flexible than the toddler who has a meltdown because they want the lollipop at the checkout

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

THAT BEING SAID all of my kids were sleeping through the night by 8 weeks
miracles do happen

IMO it's considered bad form to say things like this without a balancing mention of specific behaviors that make you want to run screaming out of the house.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

jeebus bob posted:

miracles do happen

IMO it's considered bad form to say things like this without a balancing mention of specific behaviors that make you want to run screaming out of the house.

ah yes, fair point

my eldest is currently obsessed with catching tree frogs and bugs, and has a meltdown when I ask her to free her newfound friend. it’s very sweet how much she loves them, but I’m terrified of what will happen if she accidentally squeezes one too hard and it doesn’t survive

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
we recently caught some tiny fish that spawned in our local stream, the boys build little aquariums from clear plastic boxes we keep the Lego in. But when it was time to go to bed we asked them: “how would you feel if when you wake up tomorrow you see them dead on the bottom? Because we don’t know how to care for them, we don’t know what they eat and we have no was of oxygenating the water.”
Both agreed that it would be best if dad went and let them back into the creek to play with their friends.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

THAT BEING SAID all of my kids were sleeping through the night by 8 weeks,
from the bottom of my heart, I can’t tell you how much you can go gently caress yourself lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
welp