Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Selachian posted:

More crappy interior design than crappy construction, but here's a 1956 ad for fiberglass curtains. Just in case you thought your curtains weren't itchy enough.

The bit that sticks out from this ad is "never need starching or stretching."

What is involved in stretching curtains, and how often does it have to occur?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

The bit that sticks out from this ad is "never need starching or stretching."

What is involved in stretching curtains, and how often does it have to occur?

After you washed and starched your curtains, you'd take them out to a curtain stretcher, which was a light wooden frame that looked kinda like this:

And then you'd stretch them over the frame and pin them in place; with the stretcher holding the fabric taut, the curtains would dry without getting wrinkly.

Wasn't being a housewife in the 1950s fun?

Selachian fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 6, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Given now non-square our towels are, I can only imagine how badly a big cotton or linen curtain would creep.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Selachian posted:

More crappy interior design than crappy construction, but here's a 1956 ad for fiberglass curtains. Just in case you thought your curtains weren't itchy enough.

Nuke proof curtains for the patriotic american household:patriot:, the only fiberglass curtains you will find thees days are in commercial and industrial settings as deployable fire barriers.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

coldpudding posted:

Nuke proof curtains for the patriotic american household:patriot:,

I’m kinda surprised they weren’t made out of asbestos.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Selachian posted:

After you washed and starched your curtains, you'd take them out to a curtain stretcher, which was a light wooden frame that looked kinda like this:

And then you'd stretch them over the frame and pin them in place; with the stretcher holding the fabric taut, the curtains would dry without getting wrinkly.

Wasn't being a housewife in the 1950s fun?

Or you could just be like my grandmother and wash your fiberglass curtains with the rest of the laundry and send everyone out in extra itchy clothing that day.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

What were people doing that they needed to wash their curtains so much that this was a thing?

Oh right chainsmoking.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Emissions in general were also terrible, my grandmother has stories about having to close all the windows and bring in the laundry at certain times of day when the steelworks would belch huge amounts of smoke; if you didn't your laundry would end up grey from the ash.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Ashcans posted:

Emissions in general were also terrible, my grandmother has stories about having to close all the windows and bring in the laundry at certain times of day when the steelworks would belch huge amounts of smoke; if you didn't your laundry would end up grey from the ash.

I had a friend from Ohio tell me he didn't know clothes stay white when you hang them out to dry. He just assumed clothes naturally turn grey when outside for a while.

He lived near a tire plant and never connected it till he was in California.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!
Bread Liar
Randomly scrolling youtube and had a bunch of plumbing shorts pop up. Realised they all contradicted each other for "good" and "bad" plumbing, then realised they were all from the same stupid channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLZB620LezM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cITLQh4hO_I

I hate the amount of useless garbage videos on youtube. Used to be easy to find good advice from any home repair and maintenance. Now you have to scroll past hundreds of garbage videos with thumbnails of inane grinning white men and titles like "You WON"T BELIEVE how easily I caulked my sink!"

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 8, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I've seen the "use PTFE tape!" and "don't use PTFE tape!" Stuff before. I've used it and it was fine so who knows, I guess just do whatever?

Also in case anyone has one: you can use ptfe to fix a leaky stove top coffee maker by wrapping it around the basket to seal it between the basket rim and the base. I learned this from a guy on YouTube doing it in his tiny kitchen in eastern Europe so that was good.

Just occurred to me that I might be drinking ptfe laced coffee though. Hmmm.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Youtube has been poo poo for years, they don't care about content quality if they did they would have done something anything meaningful to stop scams content theft or malicious reporting deleting channels, a lot of good people I use to follow in the early days gave up because it's simply not worth the time and effort to deal with youtube's bullshit.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I've seen the "use PTFE tape!" and "don't use PTFE tape!" Stuff before. I've used it and it was fine so who knows, I guess just do whatever?

Properly applied PTFE tape is fine as long as you don't try using it where it might get too hot and melt or on fittings that don't use the threads to make a seal like brake lines and barbecue hoses, I once got my weed wacker back in action by wrapping a leaky spark plug lead with it because it's also an excellent electrical insulator. :science:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

A Western toilet next to a western shower. Good combo there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I hate the amount of useless garbage videos on youtube. Used to be easy to find good advice from any home repair and maintenance. Now you have to scroll past hundreds of garbage videos with thumbnails of inane grinning white men and titles like "You WON"T BELIEVE how easily I caulked my sink!"

Blame the algorithm for that. Other YouTubers have tested and confirmed that the algorithm will push videos with a goofy human face/figure more aggressively, or at the very least people will click more on that thumbnail. Chicken and egg, really.

Edit: I’ve used ptfe tape and goo. Both work fine. The goo is easier to apply, of course, but for some reason I’ve acquired 3 or 4 spools of the tape over the years, so I try to use it when I can.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It's because kids spend an inordinate amount of time on YouTube so the algorithm likes things that appeal to children because it recognizes that that content gets views.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A person trying to fix a thing watches a single helpful video of someone explaining and demonstrating the fix in situ, does the fix, and then turns off YouTube. A person who is watching for entertainment watches one video with a staged setup and wacky sound effects, then watches the entire drat channel.

The algorithm is biased towards keeping users on the site watching videos.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

This toilet is real fuckin weird, look at how it is.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

sleepy gary posted:

This toilet is real fuckin weird, look at how it is.
mimic maybe?

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

You’re supposed to sit facing the wall so you have a shelf for your drink.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

You’re supposed to sit facing the wall so you have a shelf for your drink.

And keep an eye on yer horse :clint:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Isn't that wood just going to immediately start rotting as soon as that shower enters regular use?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

coldpudding posted:

Youtube has been poo poo for years, they don't care about content quality if they did they would have done something anything meaningful to stop scams content theft or malicious reporting deleting channels, a lot of good people I use to follow in the early days gave up because it's simply not worth the time and effort to deal with youtube's bullshit.

What else is there? Vimeo, TikTok (arguably worse in many respects).

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Scroll until you find a thumbnail made by someone who looks like they can barely operate a camera?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

A person trying to fix a thing watches a single helpful video of someone explaining and demonstrating the fix in situ, does the fix, and then turns off YouTube. A person who is watching for entertainment watches one video with a staged setup and wacky sound effects, then watches the entire drat channel.

This

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I'm lookin for the man who warshed my paw

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

GotLag posted:

Isn't that wood just going to immediately start rotting as soon as that shower enters regular use?

It depends on the environment and the frequency of use. As long as the wood is able to dry out on a regular basis, it should be fine. It's when things stay wet for extended periods that rot becomes a concern.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Couldn’t a sealant be put on the wood to help protect it against the water? As long as that room got some ventilation, I imagine it would hold up somewhat. I mean most outside decks are made of wood and they don’t disintegrate after the first rainy season. Or did Thompson’s Water Seal lie to me all those years ago?

Not that the person who made that room went to that sort of effort or anything.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I heard a rumor they can even make boats out of wood!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Orvin posted:

Couldn’t a sealant be put on the wood to help protect it against the water? As long as that room got some ventilation, I imagine it would hold up somewhat. I mean most outside decks are made of wood and they don’t disintegrate after the first rainy season. Or did Thompson’s Water Seal lie to me all those years ago?

Not that the person who made that room went to that sort of effort or anything.

Sealants will help keep water that's in direct contact from penetrating the wood's surface, but they don't do much of anything to help with ambient humidity. Outside decks don't rot because the water doesn't stay in contact and it's not 100% humidity all the time. Where the wooden posts go into the ground, they are in more or less constant contact with water, and that's why they need to be pressure-treated to prevent rot.

Enos Cabell posted:

I heard a rumor they can even make boats out of wood!

While this is true, it is also true that among the worst things you can do to a boat (of any material) is put it in the water. All kinds of things start going wrong as soon as that happens.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The cowboy bathroom is kinda cool.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The only issue I have is it ain't big enough for the both of us. Ready your iron!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

GotLag posted:

To expand on other answers, the good way to do it would be to have the actual waterproof surface behind the wood, and then put a layer of vertical plastic or wood strips to create a vent/drainage gap, and then the wood over that (similar to a rainscreen detail on the outside of a house). In this case I bet water can easily get in the gaps and stay trapped and cause issues. I can't see if there's a vent fan or not, that would be pretty important too.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

I watch a lot of video essays and my recommendations are 90% YouTube essays, people I subscribe to, and people I occasionally watch, despite the complete lack of wacky sound effects. I pretty much like this state of affairs.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
If you turn off your watch history your recommendations are just based on your subscriptions.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

my recommendations are hour long chillwave or dance music, a guy who records 4k hdr walking videos in japan, and a guy who does drainage solutions. i never see ads because i run ublock origin. its serene

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

KoRMaK posted:

my recommendations are hour long chillwave or dance music, a guy who records 4k hdr walking videos in japan, and a guy who does drainage solutions. i never see ads because i run ublock origin. its serene

Link to the walking guy, please. He sounds like a good add to the urbex and train hopping portion of my algorithm.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

rambalac!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ0xQcYIkt8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL35dU8VTGA

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

+1 for Rambalac. Some of his "wander around Tokyo on rainy nights" videos are fantastic fall-asleep content. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hndf5JRwUL0&t=489s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Whatever dipshit built my bathroom made the shower spray directly onto a wooden windowsill and let me tell you the wood is not going to be alright unless you're regularly sanding and resealing it