Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Humerus posted:

Hey thread, I know we're living in the golden age of boomer shooters and all and I've got like million I'm planning to play thanks to Humble, but I've been hankering for more of a late-90s GoldenEye sort of game. I didn't really play PC games until well after Halo and CoD changed the FPS landscape so I guess I'm trying to find games from that era right before Halo I may have missed since I only had an N64 (and Dreamcast but I think I'm good missing on KISS Psycho Circus). So on Gog.com I picked up the Voyager Elite Force games, Turok 1 and 2, and XIII (I think I also have the remake but I heard it's somehow worse than the original). Fwiw Perfect Dark remains my favorite FPS of all time.

Alternatively, if that's too broad a request, are we at a stage where any indies are making those kind of games? I see something called Agent 64 but there's no actual release date. And I care much more about gameplay than emulating old graphics or having it really run on *old engine* even if that's technically pretty cool, it's not enough to sell me on a game unless the game itself is really good.

Ok, to say the obvious first: have you played TimeSplitters 2 & 3? They're direct follow ups to GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, super easy to emulate and basically what you're describing.

In terms of classics from the late nineties that encourage exploration, allow for various approaches and just hit that 'vibe', you should play Half-Life, SIN, and Deus Ex. HL and DE also have that X-Files type weirdness that PD has. And seconding No One Lives Forever.

If you don't mind going back in time a bit, I would also recommend Duke Nukem for its sense of place. There's not a lot of games that let you explore an environment like it's a fun park version of its real life counterpart, but Duke nailed it right out of the gate. Think of the airplane in Perfect Dark or Facility in GE. If you like it, you'll also love Blood and a whole bunch of other games made in the same engine.

Maybe try out the original Soldier of Fortune as well, if you like modern weapons and old school gameplay. And you'll probably enjoy Max Payne 1 & 2.

A bit of a wild card, but the latest versions of Serious Sam: The First/Second Encounter can both be played with a controller and auto-aim. Don't go above normal difficulty, and you get that same satisfying feeling as hosing down dozens of soldiers with an AK47 Soviet-47 in GoldenEye.

For modern indie games, Dusk remains the best of the best.

And finally, to top it off, have you played F.E.A.R? If not, that should be the first game to try. Seriously, get that right away. Weapons that straddle the line between modern and fantastic, like PD, great gunfeel, plenty of goons in facilities and one of the best shotguns to ever grace an FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

GUI posted:

I haven't posted here in years but I'm popping in to say that I can't wait until the Baldur's Gate 3 of first person shooters, Wolfenstein 3, is definitely announced at QuakeCon 2023. I bet MachineGames has been working on it every day for the last 4-6 years with the help of id and it will be a 50 hour epic that will elevate video games as an artistic medium in terms of storytelling while at the same time providing some of the best combat the action genre has ever seen. There's no way it was canceled because the franchise was never that popular and The New Colossus and Youngblood didn't sell well. :)

I’ve started writing a response to this a couple of times, but I think I’ll take a different tack here. What is the specific reason that Wolfenstein 3 is the bee in your bonnet?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Hasturtium posted:

I’ve started writing a response to this a couple of times, but I think I’ll take a different tack here. What is the specific reason that Wolfenstein 3 is the bee in your bonnet?

Maybe they just finished Youngblood and are still reeling from that car crash of a story.

Goddammit, how do you gently caress up such a cool premise so loving hard?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's that finnish game? Winter something. White something. It had that kinda feel from it I saw on civvie's roundup

White Hell?

Looking at the screenshots it seems like it's gone places since that video though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If you want to play more Goldeneye instead of "like" Goldeneye have you tried either the leaked XBLA remaster? Goldeneye also has a pretty good modding scene, and there's a few gems out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxVpEuTxXlQ

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Maybe they just finished Youngblood and are still reeling from that car crash of a story.

Goddammit, how do you gently caress up such a cool premise so loving hard?

I don’t know what changed between New Order’s kind of endearing magical realism with sci-fi Nazis and New Colossus’s gross whiplash cheap shock pulp, but I hated that even before Youngblood asked me to root for two sociopath idiot kids AND burdened the experience with bullshit experience mechanics. And then the story… yeah. Maybe they’ve killed it in favor of the Indiana Jones game where you get to kill Nazis in a slightly different way, assuming that ever comes out.

Lookie there. I was the one with thoughts on Wolfenstein after all.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 9, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hasturtium posted:

I don’t know what changed between New Order’s kind of endearing magical realism with sci-fi Nazis and New Colossus’s gross whiplash cheap shock pulp, but I hated that even before Youngblood asked me to root for two sociopath idiot kids AND burdened the experience with bullshit experience mechanics. And then the story… yeah. Maybe they’ve killed it in favor of the Indians Jones game where you get to kill Nazia in a slightly different way, assuming that ever comes out.

Lookie there. I was the one with thoughts on Wolfenstein after all.

post/avatar combo

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Didn't play YoungBlood, but thoroughly enjoyed both New Order and New Colossus so I hope they eventually circle back to cap it off.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
can't believe the sisters raised in a country that was until recently still occupied by nazis, living in a community of the liberators of that country, trained by their father the literal number 1 nazi killer on the planet were psychologically capable of killing nazis when push came to shove

site fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 9, 2023

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Youngblood is fun as long as you avoid the post-game nonsense.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dungblud. Awful game

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Did anything ever come of Agent 64: Spies Never Die?

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
youngblood, if played properly, is beavis and butthead do crysis, and it fuckin rules

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

GUI posted:

I haven't posted here in years but I'm popping in to say that I can't wait until the Baldur's Gate 3 of first person shooters, Wolfenstein 3, is definitely announced at QuakeCon 2023. I bet MachineGames has been working on it every day for the last 4-6 years with the help of id and it will be a 50 hour epic that will elevate video games as an artistic medium in terms of storytelling while at the same time providing some of the best combat the action genre has ever seen. There's no way it was canceled because the franchise was never that popular and The New Colossus and Youngblood didn't sell well. :)

I would be more than fine with Machine Games never touching the Wolfenstein franchise again and I really hope the next game in the franchise throws out the universe they developed and goes back to basics

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Wolfenstein Old Order is one of my favorite shooters of all time.
I've bounced off of New Colossus at least five times now; the level design is just absolute trash. Really, really not sure what happened there.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Narcissus1916 posted:

Wolfenstein Old Order is one of my favorite shooters of all time.
I've bounced off of New Colossus at least five times now; the level design is just absolute trash. Really, really not sure what happened there.

I finished TNO, TOB, and TNC and I have a spicy take: I thought New Order was better than Old Blood. I think I just preferred the setting of TNO better, but I also didn't like the zombies and the weirder occult bits all that much.

The best part of TNC was playing the demo at a con, and when you got done it played the trailer and they handed out (fresh made, hand scooped) strawberry milkshakes in souvenir cups as you exited.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Old Blood sucked

TNO>TNC>OB>>>>>YB

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

John Murdoch posted:

Get you some Zortch.

There's also The Spy Who Shot Me, but I dunno much about it.

zortch is amazing

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Crap, meant to say New Order. Old Blood wasn't my favorite thing in the world but I did enjoy the nice ties to the first game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I thought The Old Blood was sufficiently entertaining and a much better DLC than the hot garbage they got up to for TNC for (originally) $29.99.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
TMC was such a middling letdown. I loved the world building and story of TNO but something was missing in the sequel. And yes, the level design was poo poo too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It was really frustrating seeing games publications heap accolades on it for "all of these crazy, cool moments" and then go on to describe something that happened in a cutscene.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I liked New Colossus, but it's a step down from TNO in just about every way. Which, I really liked TNO so it's still good, but it wasn't great like it could have been.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

When I finished The New Order I immediately started a new game using the alternate choice at the beginning because I loved it so damned much and couldn't wait for more; it took me several tries of overcoming apathy to even finish The New Colossus once and I uninstalled it for the storage right afterwards

Really just a remarkable amount of ball dropping

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Thanks for all the replies, I've got a handful of those games already and some of them are only like $5 so I'll probably pick them up. I also remembered about the TimeSplitters 2(?) "easter egg" in Homefront 2 that's literally just the whole game, and Homefront 2 is on sale all the time. I think I did actually play TS2 but it may have been the third one :shrug:

Anyway I've got a lot of options now, so thanks again.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DoombatINC posted:

When I finished The New Order I immediately started a new game using the alternate choice at the beginning because I loved it so damned much and couldn't wait for more; it took me several tries of overcoming apathy to even finish The New Colossus once and I uninstalled it for the storage right afterwards

Really just a remarkable amount of ball dropping

I played some of the "postgame" stuff which really threw into relief just how tiny and otherwise bland that game's levels are when they aren't broken up by cutscenes every five minutes. That and it suddenly started crashing on me so rip. Never played Youngblood, not gonna bother.

I do hope they make another one tho, this time might be different! Of course I'd take an id nuQuake first any day of the week.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i dont understand why they would think its fun to start the game with a 'forced slowness' deal. how do major dev studios still do that without anyone saying 'literally every player hates this'?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah but how many sewer levels were made even after sewer levels became infamous for being the shittest of levels.

The only logically conclusion that can be made is that yes indeed games developers actively hate players and with the physical and mental ill will.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I liked the sewers in L4D series.

And TMNT

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Okay like a TMNT game with at least one sewer level would just be weird, so any TMNT games automatically gets a pass for sewer levels.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

I liked the sewers in L4D series.

And TMNT

Resident Evil 2 as well

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Okay like a TMNT game with at least one sewer level would just be weird, so any TMNT games automatically gets a pass for sewer levels.

does this mean we need to cook up a tmnt fps to send to civvie

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arivia posted:

I mean yeah, that's the only logical conclusion really.

Also an all melee fps, that gotta be rough just to start with. Has that even been done before. I feel like it must of been despite how terrible an idea it is.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Well obviously you would have all sorts of shuriken and other Ninja type projectiles to use, one of the more recent series also gave the Turtles magic so could always have that available(if nothing else would be a good excuse to have the always fun to use "melee weapon thrown as a projectile that can boomerang back to you" bit), plus Donatello whipping up some sci-fi gadgets, and Raphael in some incarnations has shown willingness to make use of guns himself so that could also be used

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

dr_rat posted:

I mean yeah, that's the only logical conclusion really.

Also an all melee fps, that gotta be rough just to start with. Has that even been done before. I feel like it must of been despite how terrible an idea it is.

Is ghostrunner all melee? I never played it because the demo is enormous

e: I'm pretty sure there was a sword based dreamcast FP...swinger?

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 10, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

e: I'm pretty sure there was a sword based dreamcast FP...swinger?
Maken X. One of the first 3D games by Atlus's Megaten team! There was a PS2 port/remake in Japan called Maken Shao: Demon Sword, but it shifted the perspective to jankily-animated third person as a response to motion sickness complaints.

In other news, if you're curious about how the sausage used to be made, another prototype of Rise of the Triad leaked online. This one is from ~six months before shareware, and it has a bunch of the stuff that Ludicrous Edition dug up and finished, like the alternate actors. Also a lot of Blake Stone music as placeholders and some weird early level designs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1clnXb6Hw4

It'll apparently get thrown in the Ludicrous Edition's install folder at some point as a bonus, but all the New Blood folks are at QuakeCon to get drunk and all the Night Dive folks are at QuakeCon for No Reason In Particular, so it might be a moment.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Arivia posted:

Do it like that X-Men quake conversion with you shooting turtles for some reason instead of playing as them

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

This made me giggle

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Guillermus posted:

This made me giggle

If he wants true performance, maybe using Unity is the first mistake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

PC Gamers are absolutely insane and the number go up crowd doesn't just apply to money it seems. I think I played nearly 70 hours of Cultic when I was probably getting 25 fps tops on lowest settings and had a blast