Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the gnoll lifecycle is gross folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I make the gods real but more like Tulpas when I run D&D. If you're a cleric your God might come down and talk to you and help you out but you also have other clerics worshipping the same God, different aspects, and getting someone totally different and probably contradictory.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm three missions into Sniper Elite 3 (yes I know I'm very late to be getting into this series since they're now up to #5) and the game does a really good job of making you feel like Mark Wahlberg in Shooter (2007)

the stealth mechanics are very well spelled-out so that you generally always know what you're doing, and the Relocation mechanic gives you the ability to keep landing sniper shots all throughout the game while also forcing you to move around, as opposed to what happens in other sniper segments where as soon as you miss one shot it all goes to hell. The UI is just very well made and intuitive, and that counts for a lot in a game where being precise and deliberate is so important

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

i accidentally turned that on and my coop partner saw me jack off an orc.

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

uber_stoat posted:

i accidentally turned that on and my coop partner saw me jack off an orc.

accidentally.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I feel like a good fantasy setting with regards to religion is Warhammer Fnatasy Roleplay (as opposed to the war game) as it's an established polytheistic imperial religion with some fun regional rivalries. When are we getting that as a video game? They could go the Owlcat way and just adapt one of the big campaigns like Enemy Within.

The best one though is still Glorantha. Let me play a duck that worships Humakt.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If you're just going to treat religion as magic powers in your game then why even bother.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

oatchi more like GOATchi

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I think its really funny that the evil gods in the Forgotten Realms never offer their worshipers any positive benefits at all. In Eberron, the cults run by evil beings usually tend to keep that poo poo on the down low and open up with positive stuff, like the Blood of Vol promising community togetherness and luxuries provided by necromancy and then later on when you're in deep they start showing you the human sacrifices and crazy poo poo like that, but the Forgotten Realms evil deities are like, "Ok, in order to join, you gotta rip one of your eyes out and then be hit with studded whips for a week straight and maybe we'll give you like one level in Cleric."

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
what can you say some people are nasty like that

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Lostconfused posted:

If you're just going to treat religion as magic powers in your game then why even bother.

malazan game when

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Fuligin posted:

in forgotten realms the gods *are* worshipped by everyone, u arent dedicated to just one unless ur a cleric or whatever. smdh at nerds who dont know their lore

my entire understanding of forgotten realms is dungeon hack and baulders gate 3. this is not my lore. i will not claim it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Whirling posted:

I think its really funny that the evil gods in the Forgotten Realms never offer their worshipers any positive benefits at all. In Eberron, the cults run by evil beings usually tend to keep that poo poo on the down low and open up with positive stuff, like the Blood of Vol promising community togetherness and luxuries provided by necromancy and then later on when you're in deep they start showing you the human sacrifices and crazy poo poo like that, but the Forgotten Realms evil deities are like, "Ok, in order to join, you gotta rip one of your eyes out and then be hit with studded whips for a week straight and maybe we'll give you like one level in Cleric."

This is so wrong i don’t even know where to start

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
my impression was that the good gods do jack poo poo for their good little praypigs and the bad gods will give you a treat but you are liable to get gutted at any moment by your fellow cultists when you dont eat a kitten enthusiastically enough or something and your god is more liable to smite you

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Whirling posted:

I mean in the olden days the Big Three explicitly were there for

Fascists: if you worship Bane the church becomes the state and takes over everything, expanding forever
Psychos: if you worship Bhaal you get to murder people, people (Bane-ists for example) pay you for murder and the church hides you etc
Sociopaths: the dead are better workers, fighters, friends, and the church supports you in becoming a better necromancer (you get the bodies from Bhaal etc)

later you get those lame upstarts liky Cyric who tries to be all three and it just sucks, the Dynamic Trio simply was the best there was

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
oh remember how I didn't like Brotato? well I turned the music up and wow

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Buck Wildman posted:

I don't like the tiefling barbarian sorry I know she's kinda the thread favorite

She's probably the least annoying but her voice is way too chin chimminiy chiroo for a yoked devil woman

The gith and elf lady are unbearable and astarion is a tory oval office

That's the problem with being bri'ish and engaging certain media. There's a whole cadre of anglophile yanks it caters to who are like "Oh how enchanting! This one said absolute nutter" and meanwhile I'm like "oval office, wanker, wanker, oval office, tory, twat, ponce"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

didnt realize hoots wife is a furry

lmao

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Communist Thoughts posted:

She's probably the least annoying but her voice is way too chin chimminiy chiroo for a yoked devil woman

The gith and elf lady are unbearable and astarion is a tory oval office

That's the problem with being bri'ish and engaging certain media. There's a whole cadre of anglophile yanks it caters to who are like "Oh how enchanting! This one said absolute nutter" and meanwhile I'm like "oval office, wanker, wanker, oval office, tory, twat, ponce"

To me it's the dudes that are the most bleh. Astarion is an insufferable oval office. Wyll is boring generic goody-two-shoes hero. Gale is an annoying nerd. Druid guy is fine I guess, he hasn't joined me yet though.

All the ladies are fine. Shadowheart is kinda generic but ok. I like when the gith lady chk's at me.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

gently caress these racist rear end goblins for denying me what's mine.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I like the gith lady, she's got spunk. I didn't realize that they were an entire race of red-dragon-riding interdimensional special agents though. that's quite a campaign detail to open the game with and it seems a lot more interesting than whatever is going on in Faerûn.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm not sure who my favorite companion is. Karlach just kicks all the rear end but I agree that the voice is a bit off. Shadowheart is a slow burn where it is pretty obvious what her two secrets are but I want to get dealing with them over with. Wyll is a nice guy but, again, his quest is going to take forever to deal with. Same with Gale. Astarion is difficult, I kinda know where his story is going probably but it just takes forever to get to a point where he doesn't pout about every decision we make.

Laezel is interesting enough, like every gith companion in gaming history, and she has some funny dialogue. But again, will probably have to wait until Act 3 to start resolving their quest properly or get anywhere.

Most of Larian's companions tend to be a slow burn. In fact I would say Baldur's Gate 3 in general is just slow as molasses in a lot of ways.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

gale is a mid 90s cool guy fantasy wizard

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Buck Wildman posted:

elminster also founded the harpers who are my personal pick for most obnoxious organization in forgotten realms

wtf even is the Harper philosophy?

Like what are they even *about*? Been playing DnD games for 25 years and still don't know that. Haven't bothered to read any books on them because lol gently caress that

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

grate deceiver posted:

To me it's the dudes that are the most bleh. Astarion is an insufferable oval office. Wyll is boring generic goody-two-shoes hero. Gale is an annoying nerd. Druid guy is fine I guess, he hasn't joined me yet though.

All the ladies are fine. Shadowheart is kinda generic but ok. I like when the gith lady chk's at me.

mad?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Like what are they even *about*? Been playing DnD games for 25 years and still don't know that. Haven't bothered to read any books on them because lol gently caress that

They're the loose cannons that don't play by no rules but they get the job done but are somehow also super naive. They protect nature (I guess) and preserve history, but try to do it in secret.

Like in general they are a reactive force to other organizations like the Zhentarim or the big bad of the week, so you can't really compare them to much in the real world.

Unlike say the Moonstars who just used to be the secret police of Khelben Blackstaff's, and Force Grey who were uuuuh, I don't know. Pinkertons? They never really put down any workers but they caused a whole lot of collateral damage on behalf of the guards.

Edit: Like legit reading about the Harpers they are all about Freedom, so I guess they are True Neutral but also maybe Centrists if you wanna go down that route.

evilmiera has issued a correction as of 12:19 on Aug 10, 2023

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Orange Devil posted:

Harpers are like the Assassins in AC imo

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

astarion is a tory oval office

Well yeah, he's a monster that lives on the lifeblood of others.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Actually wait no, they apparently tended to rob rich nobles to fix economic disparity, so they aren't centrists at all. I think they are just meant to represent generic players of DnD, aka people who just randomly decide to rob a noble one day to give to the poor and another teach a history class to a bunch of nice kobolds or plant seeds after a war torched a community.

To be honest I think they might just be whatever the writer wants them to be.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
dungeons and libs

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Al! posted:

i told a gnoll a joke so funny it paralyzed him and all the nearby gnolls and hyenas

thats racist

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
they struck me as basically the Justice League. what if we just did good things but never changed anything and generally hated anyone ever telling us what to do except what we feel like doing this week

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

they struck me as basically the Justice League. what if we just did good things but never changed anything and generally hated anyone ever telling us what to do except what we feel like doing this week

The Justice League never robbed anybody except the people who bought variant covers.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

dungeons and libs

Campaigns & Candidates

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
The only good fantasy factions are the "rebels," "bandits," and "barbarians" the player is free to slaughter without remorse, as they represent the dispossessed peasantry.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

The only good fantasy factions are the "rebels," "bandits," and "barbarians" the player is free to slaughter without remorse, as they represent the dispossessed peasantry.

the best fantasy faction is pirates, actually

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
a pirate is a dispossessed peasant on a boat

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm playing with a full party of pals so that probably changes how much we like the npcs since you basically come home from a hearty day of adventuring to find them taking credit and sniping at one another, being rude to you or expositing about their boring back stories.

We were chatting after last session which I think was us mostly polishing off Act 1 and we're saying its funny the game is fun and enjoyable but in a lot of ways it is just as annoying as a railroady 5e campaign.
Lots of the same issues with the swingy sloggy combat and DM npcs who want to tell you how cool they are or speak down to your more fun characters. Nobody telling you anything concrete and just repeating the same quest breadcrumbs as the last guy over and over.
And little conversation bits where it wouldn't cost the dm anything to let you do or change something but the game just refuses.
Also after the cool intro you're back in the same goblin hunting woods as every dnd campaign where the dm insists on sticking to the monster manual

Also we are all striking out with every npc so far wtf just let me finish. My giths dick looks absolutely horrendous and I want my friends to have to look at it

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

a pirate is a dispossessed peasant on a boat

peasants are just dispossessed pirates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
possessed pirates