Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Kemper Boyd posted:

I came to consider one thing that seems to be a fairly common misconception, namely "Meadow just becomes a mob lawyer", when I think the text actually just says she becomes a regular lawyer, and that led me to think that there's one thing Tony is actually successful at, in the end.

It's fairly clear in the show that one thing he doesn't really want to pass on to his children is the life in the mob, and in the end, AJ the failson who was never even seriously considered to be taken into the mob fold, ends up fairly well in a production company run by someone who's effectively a retired mobster gone semi-legit. Patsy Parisi's kid who Meadow ends up dating is in a similar position, having become a lawyer. It plays nicely into the thing that Tony says in the pilot, "I came in at the end of things", the mob is a dead end and dying out, there's precious few young people coming in and most of the young associates we meet end up with bad ends, like Matthew Bevilaqua and Christopher. The final image of the family is old-rear end made guy Paulie sunning himself outside Satriale's, the last man standing from the original crew.

There's a quote from David Chase - dunno where it originally came from, but I found it in Brett Martin's book Difficult Men - where he opined that in spite of their flaws, the Soprano kids still have a chance to end up better than their parents. AJ will never become a soldier or join the Peace Corps, and he may ultimately never be more than a mid-level movie producer, but he won't be a killer like his father. As for Meadow, she may never become a doctor or even a lawyer, but she will be able to survive on her own and move about in the world in ways Carmela never could.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MrMojok posted:

Steve is an absolute oaf.

A redditor posted this a while back, and I saved it because I thought it was as perfect of a summary of that podcast as any:

I read an interview where Steve ran down Robert De Niro and was all "HE JUST DIDN'T HAVE NO PERSONALITY, CAPISCE?" and the thought occurs maybe Bobby just didn't want to talk to Bobby.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'd legit watch a miniseries of Christopher in rehab.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Isn’t that where he met both JT Dolan and Murmur?

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
To go back on the gambling thing and the tone of the last season(both parts) being dark and different…

I think a lot of that has to do with Tony and Junior losing contact after the shooting. Even with Junior’s diminished mental state he was still somebody Tony tried bouncing ideas off of up until the “make my nephew an egg” issue at the end of season 5. Once that final (positive? I guess Phil is old school but not in a way Tony relates to) connection to the old ways was severed he became aimless and leaned into the worst habits, gambling being among the most extreme. I also think he really got into gambling larger sums later on while he was trying to not cheat on Carmella as much after the shooting so he was getting off in different ways.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Isn’t that where he met both JT Dolan and Murmur?

Dolan yes. I never figured out where he picked up Murmur.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think he mentions having met Murmur in rehab but I could be wrong. I know he switched to Eddie because Murmur started hanging around the Bing and doing forgery work for them.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

I think he mentions having met Murmur in rehab but I could be wrong. I know he switched to Eddie because Murmur started hanging around the Bing and doing forgery work for them.

Murmur was his sponsor that was also great at forging documents.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Action Serious posted:

Murmur was his sponsor that was also great at forging documents.

Yes. Did I say differently?

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

Yes. Did I say differently?

Take it easy. We’re not making a western, here.

I didn’t refresh the thread so your post wasn’t there the 5 minutes before I sent mine.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I wonder about that yeah. We don't really get to see what kind of lawyer she becomes, but iirc her attitude toward the mafia by the end is basically "what the gently caress did you just say about my family?" and it's not hard to imagine a world where she rationalizes herself into becoming something terrible. But I also kind of forget all the details of how her arc ends

Mob Lawyer checks out for me.

We've seen her defend her Dad, who "sometimes brushes up against organized crime" but also her altruistic side so there's your law degree that makes it just. Also creates a perfect straddling of the fence between being like her dad and, more on point, being like her mother; where she rationalizes doing all that poo poo under the auspice of THE LAW. Similar in some ways to Carmela holding on to her tenuous grasp of religion in ways that she thinks makes her a good person.

E

ALso, for all we know, she got murdered at Holsten's along with her dad

insert can of worms emoji here

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 6, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I thought her lawyerly goals were pretty clearly stated at the end of the series, by the character herself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vichan posted:

Pretty sure his dad referred to Satriale who's finger he cut off, not the other guy.

Oops! Thanks for the correction!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

ALso, for all we know, she got murdered at Holsten's along with her dad

insert can of worms emoji here

If she'd been better at parking, she would have been right in the line of fire when the member's only jacket guy comes out the restroom guns blazing!

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Anyone else feel there is a tonal shift between season 3 and 4. Carmella saying everything comes to an end. All this worry about money and the feds are getting closer. Just feels a lot more focused on how the downfall is going to happen, but it also feels darker in general. Just a different vibe.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

If she'd been better at parking, she would have been right in the line of fire when the member's only jacket guy comes out the restroom guns blazing!

Currently rewatching season 2 and she mentions not being a good parallel parker when she takes her driving test in the second episode. I doubt they had that in mind for the last scene but what a good show.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Wiltsghost posted:

Anyone else feel there is a tonal shift between season 3 and 4. Carmella saying everything comes to an end. All this worry about money and the feds are getting closer. Just feels a lot more focused on how the downfall is going to happen, but it also feels darker in general. Just a different vibe.

yeah, and a lot of that is reflective on the vibe shift in America following 9/11 and a recession. The weird bubble of peace (at home) and prosperity that had been in place popped and the show reacted to that the same way a lot of people did.

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 6, 2023

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

MrMojok posted:

I thought her lawyerly goals were pretty clearly stated at the end of the series, by the character herself.

I think the correct interpretation for her goals is to always assume that she only weakly lives by any sort of ideal, and her goals are somewhat incoherent anyway. She's no Saul Goodman in training.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Wiltsghost posted:

Show really went downhill after the World Trade Center. You know Quasimodo predicted all this?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
You never wondered about that, the back thing with Notre Dame?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I love that Bobby does not give a poo poo at all that he’s wrong. He just keeps eating his steak.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I love that Bobby does not give a poo poo at all that he’s wrong. He just keeps eating his steak.

Well, when something happens so much to you it you probably just shrug it off.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The more I watch season 5 the more I really feel for Finn. Meadow is loving horrible to him when he comes home after quitting the work site/the Vito incident.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

The more I watch season 5 the more I really feel for Finn. Meadow is loving horrible to him when he comes home after quitting the work site/the Vito incident.

I feel like I don't know enough about Finn, or why they broke up, to make a judgment but on that specific issue yeah 100%

he was freaking out because he (reasonably, imo) thought a high-ranking mobster wanted to kill him because he knew a secret and her response was basically "wow, racist much?"

i don't know if i'd be able to keep track of my luggage with intentionality under those circumstances either

amazing scene though, very unrelentingly real depiction of two exhausted 20-something arguing

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
She also immediately tries gaslight him about what he saw at the construction site when Eugene smashed a glass bottle in Little Paulie’s face over a stupid gay joke.

EDIT: She also starts using the unidentified black men on him when he asks what happened to Jackie Jr.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Meadow know the truth but is in denial like her mother.

NJM
Jan 3, 2020

In my current slow rewatch, I just watched "The Happy Wanderer" It's a great episode, but I still can't believe Tony was so caught off guard the Meadow was upset about being given her friend's car.

In the final scene of that episode, when Meadow is arguing with her partner about the car, she ends up falling back and basically defending Tony by saying Scatino gave the car to Tony. Which is basically what happens throughout the series. Meadow will criticize her parents about being mobbed up but whenever someone outside criticizes her for the benefits she gets, she ends up defending the mafia. So I definitely can see her being a mob lawyer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s possible, but I think she becomes some DNC lawyer myself

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think she’s also a candidate for the lifelong democrat > Republican pipeline

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Meadow is a candidate for marrying below her station, sacrificing her dreams for her family and living a life of quiet desperation just like her mother.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Another Bill posted:

Meadow is a candidate for marrying below her station, sacrificing her dreams for her family and living a life of quiet desperation just like her mother.

I don't see that at all, I think the number one thing she's guaranteed to avoid is becoming her mother. Especially if we're assuming Tony got killed and Carmela's suddenly thrust into an uncertain widowhood, I think that would be a huge negative example for Meadow to avoid.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Meadow wouldn't allow Finn's traumatic experience to penetrate her carefully maintained cocoon of denial about what kind of man her father is and what kind of world he's a part of and where the money that pays for every single aspect of her cosseted lifestyle comes from - she was a grown woman at that point in the show. She was such an unlikeable character lol

AJ at least was just plain loving dumb

crispix fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 10, 2023

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

it's extra frustrating, considering how pissed she was at her parents the first three seasons precicely because Tony was a mobster, but wouldn't admit it. she 100% knew the truth, but has somehow just managed to compartmentalise it all in denial.

gently caress Meadow

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You see it with the evolution of who she blames for Jackie Jr's murder. In the car on the way to the funeral she tries to be honest with Carmela by saying "Look who he grew up with, look who his father was" and she's shut down. By the time she gets to the Aprile house afterwards she's telling Jackie's sister that it was probably Israeli drug dealers. And then a couple years later she tells Finn "They were African-American, if that makes you feel any better"

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

"I flunked out of school"

"With your father in a coma"

"I didn't tell dad!"

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Watched "Whoever Did This" last night. Might be my favorite episode so far on this rewatch. Tony killing Ralphie and then the cleanup. Chris showing up stoned out of his mind. Then the end with the tractor. The whole last 30 minutes is some of the best TV I've ever seen. Just so good.

E: also Tony yelling Christopher's name in the empty strip club with him nowhere in sight

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 10, 2023

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wiltsghost posted:

Watched "Whoever Did This" last night. Might be my favorite episode so far on this rewatch. Tony killing Ralphie and then the cleanup. Chris showing up stoned out of his mind. Then the end with the tractor. The whole last 30 minutes is some of the best TV I've ever seen. Just so good.

E: also Tony yelling Christopher's name in the empty strip club with him nowhere in sight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhDq-70caV0

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Finished reading Jerusalem's write ups of this show after reading their write ups from Mad Men.

What a great show, what a great read. Thankyou Jerusalem :)

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I smoked half a joint before you called i'm fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Wiltsghost posted:

I smoked half a joint before you called i'm fine

"I DId Dint."

Imperioli is very good at playing high/drunk. He never really over sells it.