Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

A peasant with a boat owns the means of production and isn't disposesed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
the fisherman to pirate pipeline strongly resembles that of the smallholder

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

evilmiera posted:

The Justice League never robbed anybody except the people who bought variant covers.

batman is a billionaire therefore a thief

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

How did the Wayne family get rich anyway. I assume originally they owned factories or railroads or whatever. Those things don't exist anymore so what makes modern Batman the big bucks

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
You know the vast majority of Wayne Industries is financial services.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Harpers are "Food not bombs"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

How did the Wayne family get rich anyway. I assume originally they owned factories or railroads or whatever. Those things don't exist anymore so what makes modern Batman the big bucks

Wayne Enterprises is basically a megacorporation, in all likelyhood if you can imagine it Waynetech has been involved in it. It might have started out as something medical-related.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

batman is a billionaire therefore a thief

Robbed anybody who deserved it, then.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

After playing Baldur’s Gate 3 some more yesterday my opinion didn't change on it.

It's just another computer RPG, which is nice but not any better than Pathfinder or Pillars of Eternity, or even Atom.

It still feels like I end up going against the way developers wanted you to play way to often and the game just breaks down when that happens and I have to spend time figuring out what the game actually wants me to do instead of what I was trying to do.

I assume this is what it's like to play with a lovely DM.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DaysBefore posted:

Thomas Wayne's wealth is never really elaborated upon - he's always already-wealthy and already so wealthy that he's already known as a philanthropist. The assumption is usually that he's old money, like the descendant of a robber baron, except in stories such as The Joker (2019) or The Batman (2022) where specifying that he's a sort of landlord oligarch is part of the plot.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
my prior understanding was that the harpers were kind of self appointed cops of the status quo that went after anyone or anything that threatened to shift the millennia long quagmire of a society that faerun was in

reading the lore on them tho and they're just anarchists that hate anyone over level 10 that gets too political

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Finished Silent Hill 2. When it's doing story it's hammy but even with over two decades of age where it does look very old in certain respects there's strokes of excellent horror directing. The third quarter (from the nightmare hospital to when you reach the boat) stands out. I felt a sense of dread when you go down the very long elevator expecting to enter a mine or sewer and emerge in silent, dimly lit office hallways that shouldn't be there.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

After playing Baldur’s Gate 3 some more yesterday my opinion didn't change on it.

It's just another computer RPG, which is nice but not any better than Pathfinder or Pillars of Eternity, or even Atom.

its not real time with pause which does a lot for it, imo

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah it let's it break in other lovely and stupid ways.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
gonna cry?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

both Pathfinder and POE already are not RTWP, on top of being built on a better ruleset

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Real time with pause is an unplayable mess and I'm so glad they didn't go with it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

both Pathfinder and POE already are not RTWP, on top of being built on a better ruleset

Yeah but they're also about as bad as BG3. It's a really ok RPG that does nothing new. Which feels fine since the genre barely sees any new games anyways.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

i thought poe 1 was? i bounced off that game after clearing the big dungeon under the castle you get

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Gumball Gumption posted:

Real time with pause is an unplayable mess and I'm so glad they didn't go with it.

Skill issue (that I agree with)

RTWP is a godsend for trash fights though. Haven't noticed any in Baldurs Gate 3 yet but imagining Pathfinder without the seamless toggle and shuddering. Pillars 2 being strictly one or the other was bad enough

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah but they're also about as bad as BG3. It's a really ok RPG that does nothing new. Which feels fine since the genre barely sees any new games anyways.

it's a real Catch-22 because the only reason BG3 gets as many eyeballs and buzz as it does is due to being built on D&D in general and the Baldur's Gate branding specifically, while a better-designed game probably wouldn't have as many players because it's not pushing that nostalgia button

el problema en es capitalismo

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
the last time i touched DnD was NWN1 and all i still remember was making a AC73 monk/cleric/druid dragonform god

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

One every year or two is more than enough.

Especially when there's smaller and better RPGs coming out at the same time.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Skill issue (that I agree with)

RTWP is a godsend for trash fights though. Haven't noticed any in Baldurs Gate 3 yet but imagining Pathfinder without the seamless toggle and shuddering. Pillars 2 being strictly one or the other was bad enough

Trash fights in your single player rpg are a pacing problem anyways.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i thought poe 1 was? i bounced off that game after clearing the big dungeon under the castle you get

POE 1 used a bespoke RPG system that Josh Sawyer / ropekid built specifically to avoid all the "optimization" pitfalls of D&D, because he had played D&D so much and was sick and tired of how badly it all worked (a man after my own heart)

go figure that with BG3 all the poo poo about Strength being a dumpstat for Wizards and the devs commenting on "powergamers" and so on is entering into the public discourse again when it's a solved problem

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
my major poe 1 memory was just having a fight in a doorway i did several times because there was some damage over time or something spell that the enemy mages would cast that i couldn't figure out how to deal with because the UI was not great, and i think the only counter was just to nuke the mages before their ai got around to actually casting it and then just slowly grind out the giant bags of hp enemies in the doorjam with my two melee guys

i don't really know what about any of that was mechanically superior to bg3, i game that despite all my complaining about i have a lot of fun with even tho its not as good mechanically as divinity os 2

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i think that i would like bg3 a lot more if its opening act was stopping the demonic invasion of kenabres instead of wandering around in the woods

bg3 doesn't even have a catgirl spider...

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

The pathfinder games go out of their way (and piss off a lot of people) to specifically add mechanics you won't see in other CRPGs (Kingdom building and Crusade management).

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

some ancient neurons just got fired for the first time in a while

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

POE 1 used a bespoke RPG system that Josh Sawyer / ropekid built specifically to avoid all the "optimization" pitfalls of D&D, because he had played D&D so much and was sick and tired of how badly it all worked (a man after my own heart)

go figure that with BG3 all the poo poo about Strength being a dumpstat for Wizards and the devs commenting on "powergamers" and so on is entering into the public discourse again when it's a solved problem

they're still real-time with pause though. rtwp means there's an invisible round structure happening in real time and you can pause it at any moment to issue commands and stuff. it doesn't mean it runs on 2e, because that would exclude Icewind Dale 2 which is 3.0

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

do the pathfinder games let you coop with 4 people? if so i might suggest them once we're done with bg3

though i also wanna play the elden ringe coop mod
dark souls 3 is probably the best coop 4 player game i've played so far

last night i was sitting awake with my so talking about how goddamn good bloodborne was and it reminded me of how good elden ring was and now i got the song in my head and the fire in my heart.
i want a pc release but i dont really think a bloodborne 2 would be worth it, since they manage to wrap everything up so tidily, elden ring by contrast i wouldnt mind a bunch more in that setting with other lands getting hosed up by warring alien factions and people getting crunk on various alien goo

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jon posted:

The pathfinder games go out of their way (and piss off a lot of people) to specifically add mechanics you won't see in other CRPGs (Kingdom building and Crusade management).

the problem with those systems is that they suck, not that they're new or different than what you see in other crpgs. would easily recommend a mod that just auto wins crusade battles or w/e since disabling them normally actually locks you out of content lol

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

one of my old boss's secretaries had a personality similar to the gith lady but was your best bud if you got on her good side so I kinda find her endearing as a result

Orange Devil posted:

wtf even is the Harper philosophy?

Like what are they even *about*? Been playing DnD games for 25 years and still don't know that. Haven't bothered to read any books on them because lol gently caress that

they're ostensibly a secret society that goes on about fighting evil from the shadows and maintaining "balance" in the world. in reality they're sorta the wizard cia and a big side activity of theirs is assassinating/sabotaging people who try to advance technology/society past the feudalistic point where normal folks might be on relatively even footing with magic users. in universe if you're even aware they exist you either hate them or you're one of them. because they're pet creation of the setting creator they're unambiguously framed as good in most related fiction

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

turn off the TV posted:

i think that i would like bg3 a lot more if its opening act was stopping the demonic invasion of kenabres instead of wandering around in the woods

bg3 doesn't even have a catgirl spider...

yeah bg3 has so many chances to do evil or conflicted party members, and Wrath just completely blows them away

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/1689479269557440512

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

jaheira in the old bgs is a harper and if you have her along there's a whole side story of hers involving harper bullshit and them just showing up to cause trouble for you because being a bhaalspawn upsets the status quo

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wha? The whole plot point since 1 was that the harpers were keeping the bhaal spawn safe, so that they wouldn't murder each other.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Wha? The whole plot point since 1 was that the harpers were keeping the bhaal spawn safe, so that they wouldn't murder each other.

Pretty sure I had to murder a bunch of those shits. Ambushed me on travel. I think they wanted to cast that subterranean lock up spell?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Lostconfused posted:

it seems like trying to keep a god from being in control of their portfolio would be a bad idea

like, you know, the time there wasn’t a goddess of magic and poo poo went big time sideways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Bg2 harpers had some kind of internal dispute poo poo about how to deal with the bhaalspawn

Also harpers are neo liberals