Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Lobok posted:

It's a wonder I like real cheese at all when I think back to childhood and how much crap cheese I ate. The cheap processed slices (though still no better option for burgers imo), Cheetos, cheese balls, the cheese powder in Kraft dinner, that Kraft parmesan shaker, whatever's in Lunchables, Cheese Whiz, that cheese packaged with crackers for kids' lunches with the little red plastic slab for spreading it...

Embrace it.

I love a delicious, home- or store-made fresh pasta item, under an awesome vodka sauce, or garlic & butter.

I also love eating canned Chef Boy-Ar-Dee meat ravioli.

The two will never be confused.

e: good job Carl!

PainterofCrap has a new favorite as of 16:17 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

the limited edition versions with lime or lemon frosting are the real poo poo

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PainterofCrap posted:

Embrace it.

I love a delicious, home- or store-made fresh pasta item, under an awesome vodka sauce, or garlic & butter.

I also love eating canned Chef Boy-Ar-Dee meat ravioli.

The two will never be confused.

Oh I'm not trying to be snobby about it, I am not above scarfing down an entire box of Kraft dinner in one sitting as our Charter explicitly grants me the freedom to do.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Eurogoons vehemently shouting screeds against American cheese whilst squirting processed fish out of a tube down their refined gullet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh can I get some saltier candy, these ones taste good

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

zoux posted:

Uh can I get some saltier candy, these ones taste good

*person eating caramels* god damnit!

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
I don't think I can post this in the form of a meme but sodium citrate isn't just for cheese, anything you make that is a mixture of polar and non polar ingredients that you want to mix smoothly and not separate benefits from a teaspoon of the stuff. If you don't want the oil to separate out of a curry, pasta sauce, stew or whatever it's like magic.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

I don't think I can post this in the form of a meme but sodium citrate isn't just for cheese, anything you make that is a mixture of polar and non polar ingredients that you want to mix smoothly and not separate benefits from a teaspoon of the stuff. If you don't want the oil to separate out of a curry, pasta sauce, stew or whatever it's like magic.

*silently sobbing, sprinkling sodium citrate on mom & dad while they sleep after they fought again*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

That was easy

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Literally the benefit of American cheese is that it melts real good

That's it's entire reason for existence

Most of it does, sure. However, back in 2000, I bought a pack of “sandwich slices” by a super cheap brand—I’m talking like 59c here—as a dead broke college kid that not only didn’t melt, but actually solidified further and shrank a bit. I could have tiled the kitchen with it and covered the mysterious hole that smelled like bologna. Maybe it was the only brand that did it, I don’t know, but it happened, and it was gloriously bizarre.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

root beer posted:

Most of it does, sure. However, back in 2000, I bought a pack of “sandwich slices” by a super cheap brand—I’m talking like 59c here—as a dead broke college kid that not only didn’t melt, but actually solidified further and shrank a bit. I could have tiled the kitchen with it and covered the mysterious hole that smelled like bologna. Maybe it was the only brand that did it, I don’t know, but it happened, and it was gloriously bizarre.

let's be fair: you brought this upon yourself by buying "pittsburgh's finest"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

root beer posted:

Yeah, going super cheap on any product can have unexpected effects. I bought a pack of the local cheapo a couple years ago and it somehow didn't melt, and was super slick to the touch.

Its how I learned that that was the bad cheap brand lol

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arivia posted:

let's be fair: you brought this upon yourself by buying "pittsburgh's finest"

I've heard of government cheese, but cop cheese?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Lobok posted:

I've heard of government cheese, but cop cheese?

It’s quite similar to frumunda cheese

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've railed against these before, so whatever, I'm a hypocrite, maybe I was just mad I didn't get to be the one to post it:

Spoiler, prepare to cry:
Johnny Hardwick died, the voice of Dale from King of the Hill.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

zoux posted:

That was easy

That's a great meme but I just did more reading and actually sodium citrate works because of a specific reaction with casein and calcium, unlike other emulsifiers it is specifically for cheese. It will still help with Alfredo sauce or a cheesy tomato sauce, but that's because of the cheese.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've railed against these before, so whatever, I'm a hypocrite, maybe I was just mad I didn't get to be the one to post it:

Spoiler, prepare to cry:

F F F F F F F

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Everyone stand for 21 Pocket-Sand salute.

*sob* sha-sha-SHA *deep, Italian style crying*

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaFiTMyuq1A

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Spoiler, prepare to cry:

I guess the silver lining is it makes the show harder to reboot.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Eurogoons vehemently shouting screeds against American cheese whilst squirting processed fish out of a tube down their refined gullet.

The real secret is that mild cheeses similar to the cheddar/colby American cheese is made from are made and consumed all over the world. It's just that cheese's equivalent of the "IPA guy" is even more long--established.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Spoiler, prepare to cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Osh-KYy4Cw

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

ellie the beep posted:

good job carl!!!

Good job, Carl. Looks like you could push some air around with that kit.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

And because there are a bunch of products that intentionally blur the lines between processed cheeses and processed cheese-type foods.

vs

idk that any of those ingredients are explicitly bad for you though, so ??? id totally eat the latter one.

Beans are super cool and amazing for your gut microbiota, OP

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Also pure loving lol at someone going "u add sodium citrate to make cheese melty" and then everyone else immediately jumping to that being a slippery slope to imitation cheese lol

bike tory posted:

American cheese is disgusting and unfit for consumption.

Ok so the latter example in the post below isnt cheese and doesn't pretend to be proper cheese. It's clearly labelled as "imitation".

But lets take the ingredients from the first example here:

"MILK, CHEDDAR CHEESE (MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES), WHEY, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE,
MILKFAT"

are all things that belong in cheese, i bet u would find them in more than 60% of cheeses worldwide. Salt is cool everyone loves salt enhancing the flavour.

"SODIUM CITRATE"

So, citric acid. Y'know, from oranges. Makes it melt better. I've seen cheese with actual whole rear end orange rind in so a derivative acid clearly doesn't make it less cheese.

"CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF"

Ok so like, think "two people in one hundred"

"CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH. WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SALT, LACTIC ACID, ANNATTO AND PAPRIKA EXTRACT (COLOR). NATAMYCIN (A NATURAL MOLD INHIBITOR), ENZYMES, CHEESE CULTURE, VITAMIN D3."

Ok so we got calcium and vitamin d3, those are both good and in most cheeses id wager. The food starch is helping the fats in the cheese to not separate out and become an oily mess. Lactic acid, annatto and natamycin are all fine for human consumption and stop it from going weird and giving someone e. coli or botulism or w/e. And the rest are all just normal cheese things?

So what's the problem???

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Cool

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

E: wait no I have a food one too

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

alexandriao posted:

Also pure loving lol at someone going "u add sodium citrate to make cheese melty" and then everyone else immediately jumping to that being a slippery slope to imitation cheese lol

Ok so the latter example in the post below isnt cheese and doesn't pretend to be proper cheese. It's clearly labelled as "imitation".

But lets take the ingredients from the first example here:

"MILK, CHEDDAR CHEESE (MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES), WHEY, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE,
MILKFAT"

are all things that belong in cheese, i bet u would find them in more than 60% of cheeses worldwide. Salt is cool everyone loves salt enhancing the flavour.

"SODIUM CITRATE"

So, citric acid. Y'know, from oranges. Makes it melt better. I've seen cheese with actual whole rear end orange rind in so a derivative acid clearly doesn't make it less cheese.

"CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF"

Ok so like, think "two people in one hundred"

"CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH. WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SALT, LACTIC ACID, ANNATTO AND PAPRIKA EXTRACT (COLOR). NATAMYCIN (A NATURAL MOLD INHIBITOR), ENZYMES, CHEESE CULTURE, VITAMIN D3."

Ok so we got calcium and vitamin d3, those are both good and in most cheeses id wager. The food starch is helping the fats in the cheese to not separate out and become an oily mess. Lactic acid, annatto and natamycin are all fine for human consumption and stop it from going weird and giving someone e. coli or botulism or w/e. And the rest are all just normal cheese things?

So what's the problem???

Annatto is commonly used to color cheeses orange including good Wisconsin cheddar, and I'd wager it's what gives the outside of muenster its color.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I like cheese and things that taste like cheese. The distinction between the two is academic if my eyes are closed.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

root beer posted:

You can't just drop that in casually with no further info

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Amphigory posted:

You can't just drop that in casually with no further info

Stab in the dark guess is that his hole was stuffed with bologna

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can sodium citrate make feta melt?

mystes
May 31, 2006

EoinCannon posted:

it probably would but I think the main reason to use sodium citrate is so you can get a smooth sauce without having to dilute the cheese that much which would probably not be what you want for something as salty as feta

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

DrBouvenstein posted:

Spoiler, prepare to cry:

drat the government finally got em

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

EoinCannon posted:

mystes posted:

it probably would but I think the main reason to use sodium citrate is so you can get a smooth sauce without having to dilute the cheese that much which would probably not be what you want for something as salty as feta

Forbidden knowledge

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

EoinCannon posted:

Yes! If you really love feta and want to use it in something you'd prefer a melted cheese for, go nuts! Try a 1 to 4 ratio of liquid to cheese, heat the liquid and whisk in the sodium citrate until dissolved, then on low heat, stirring constantly, slowly add crumbled feta a little at a time, waiting until it is completely melted to add more. Some people recommend an immersion blender to mix it but I don't think it's necessary.

As for your choice of liquid, use anything you want. Cultured buttermilk to keep the tang and saltiness, or if you want to mellow the feta you could use tomato juice, or whatever is appropriate for what you're doing.

I'm trying to think of what I would use melted feta for and coming up blank, the fact that it chars without melting is one of the things I like about feta

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mr. Crow posted:

drat the government finally got em

Someone posted this in the GBS King of the Hill thread:

Edit:

Credit to this guy: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3807656&perpage=40&pagenumber=339#post533804096

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Someone posted this in the GBS King of the Hill thread:

I love it

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

EoinCannon posted:

Nope. When people talk about cheese melting, there's really two different things they mean depending on context.

High acid or high moisture cheeses like feta or paneer don't melt at all. Heat doesn't change their protein structure in melty ways. At most they will soften.

The other thing people mean when they talk about cheese meltability is whether the emulsion breaks and you end up with distinct fat and protein/water separation. If you take something like gruyere or cheddar and heat it a bunch, it will melt into goo, but it will also separate. To make it stay as a uniform liquid, you need some emulsifier. Sodium citrate is very good at that. Other traditional ones are things like egg yolk (lecithin) or mustard, but those have more impact on taste and are finickier. It's a lot easier to melt American cheese without separation than to make a traditional mornay sauce

The Kraft single uptrend doesn't actually count as American cheese. The FDA labeling goes:

- Cheddar cheese: you know what this is
- Colby cheese: this is a cheese from ~1900 Wisconsin. You make it like a cheddar, except that at the point where you would stack the curds to press whey out (cheddaring), you wash with cold water like you were making a gouda instead.
- American cheese: Take cheddar & colby, melt them, add an emulsifier, then resolidify it. You are also allowed to add salt, spices if it's flavored cheese (e.g horseradish), and a small amount of cream. If it's individual slices instead of a block, you can add some anti-mold preservatives.
- American cheese food: You can add milk or whey and more of it instead of only cream
- American cheese product (Kraft singles): You can add milk protein isolate instead of normal milk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can it make meta felt?