Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Larryb posted:

Does Detective Pikachu talk in the game or was that strictly an invention of the movie along with him being related to the player character?

The English-language Pikachu in the first game is voiced by the same dude who voiced the dubbed protagonist in Yakuza 7/Like A Dragon. :eng101:

Also the long-haired kid in 13 Sentinels, one of the protagonists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiji_Tang#Filmography

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He talks but only the protagonist can hear him

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wow going through my parent's house and I discovered they kept all my old games. The consoles aren't here, or they're somewhere else except for the SNES, but I found GC games including Pikmin 2, Animal Crossing, Wind Waker and the Zelda GC disc with multiple games, and Path of Radiance and among the Wii games was Radiant Dawn. Also Crazy Taxi and Simpson's Road Rage. I had a good GC collection.

Those two final FE games I don't think will ever be remade so I may have find a used Wii at some point, but I guess that's easy to get? Otherwise, are AC Adapters easy to find because I bought my GC in the US (assuming I find it) but now live in France.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Commander Keene posted:

In my heart Detective Pikachu will always be Danny Devito, and if I don't play the games or watch the movie I don't have to be disappointed.

He should be in more game VO roles in general. Even if they aren't Pikachu games.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

cops in games are cool actually. you gonna tell me you don't like harry dubois? you gonna shittalk kim kitsuragi?

An Actual Princess fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 10, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cops are only good in fiction (and even that’s sometimes a tossup)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Cops are allowed if they're really, really bad at their job like Harrier and Detective Gumshoe.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah cops in media are really only cool if they are the butt of constant jokes, or are like himbo's / useless dorks.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

Yeah cops in media are really only cool if they are the butt of constant jokes, or are like himbo's / useless dorks.
for example - most of the Brooklyn 99 gang

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
TV detectives are okay, I’d hang with Columbo

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

…among the Wii games was Radiant Dawn.

Yeah that’s not worth anything… but if you want to send it to me I’ll pay postage and I’ll send you a Wii power cable :)

Kidding aside I’d be careful with even putting the disc into anything. I’d play it on a hacked GameCube / wii / WiiU instead and avoid any chance of scratching the discs.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

otter posted:

Yeah that’s not worth anything… but if you want to send it to me I’ll pay postage and I’ll send you a Wii power cable :)

Kidding aside I’d be careful with even putting the disc into anything. I’d play it on a hacked GameCube / wii / WiiU instead and avoid any chance of scratching the discs.
TBF while Radiant Dawn is worth a pretty penny, Path of Radiance is the one that really hurts the wallet nowadays. Believe me, I've checked. I bought Dawn around release unaware that it was a sequel to Path, and until I realized Path was one of the priciest games on the Cube I spent a while looking to pick it up. Now I'll just emulate it on my Deck if I get the urge to play the Tellius games someday.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

But I have Path CIB that I bought new for like $50 or 55 which was expensive at the time.
My plan for if I ever actually get Covid (whether I have symptoms or not) is to take 2 weeks off work and blitz through Radiant Dawn and a few other games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i love cops

in Minecraft

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
The cops who took me to the psych ward saw Stardew Valley, and it turns out all 3 of us like it. He liked the fishing map. Not sure on the other. But it was kind of a fun thing before I get disconnected before the outside world.

Stardew really does have a huge amount of fans.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Aerofallosov posted:

The cops who took me to the psych ward saw Stardew Valley, and it turns out all 3 of us like it. He liked the fishing map. Not sure on the other. But it was kind of a fun thing before I get disconnected before the outside world.

Stardew really does have a huge amount of fans.

can't believe concernedape would create a game that fosters admiration in the fully bastard police force :sigh: the next patch better say gently caress the police on every screen transition. is there any end to this hellscape????

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

can't believe concernedape would create a game that fosters admiration in the fully bastard police force :sigh: the next patch better say gently caress the police on every screen transition. is there any end to this hellscape????

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

bowmore posted:

for example - most of the Brooklyn 99 gang

Brooklyn 99 was the only truly good cop show because most of them were terrible at actually being cops

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Brooklyn 99 was the only truly good cop show because most of them were terrible at actually being cops

Am I missing something? Cause I'm pretty sure the core group were portrayed as being pretty drat good at their job, and also being a gaggle of silly bastards.

It's everyone else around them who were bad/corrupt. Is that what you meant?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s a mixed bag, Hitchcock and scully were only good at their job if food was involved.

Jake got in his own way a lot, and let Doug Judy go a lot lol

Rosa was good at being a cop generally, as was amy

This is probably far too much analysis for a show like that lol

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It was a sitcom; they'd always let dumb personal bullshit get in the way of doing their jobs, but resolve it and solve the case by the end of the episode. It's not exactly aspirational that even the comically stern and stoic professional captain is a moody drama queen, who punishes his subordinates when his husband knows a math puzzle and he doesn't.

Harry is more of a mixed bag, because you can make him spend more time preaching about the glories of communism than he does copping, which is actually cool, but Kim is a cop to the bone and that's not a compliment.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 10, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
A Barney Miller MMORPG would be perfect for the Switch.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Karanas posted:

Am I missing something? Cause I'm pretty sure the core group were portrayed as being pretty drat good at their job

I've seen every episode of that show and none of the main cast ever manages to harass and/or murder even one single minority

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
detective pikachu is like columbo

chansey is quincy md

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Well poo poo you got me there.

Well there was that time Jake harassed that dude who made a complaint against him thinking he was a plant, but he wasn't and Jake's head was just planted firmly up his own rear end.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
edit : double post

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

otter posted:

Oh thanks. Yeah I looked up it and arguably they're $500 dollars together which is insane.

I'd rather play them lol.

Honestly, once we get our new flat, I think I'll move all that stuff to Europe with me. The biggest issue will be having to get a North American Wii assuming mine isn't around/doesn't work. Which I don't see why it wouldn't work. Controllers aren't region locked so that problem is solved.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

quake 2 remaster out in 4 hours

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Making the console identical looking to the Wii was dumb. I had a coworker who was my age that played games, and thought that the Wii U was an accessory.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Karanas posted:

Am I missing something? Cause I'm pretty sure the core group were portrayed as being pretty drat good at their job, and also being a gaggle of silly bastards.

It's everyone else around them who were bad/corrupt. Is that what you meant?

That was only the case for the first season. After that the show significantly devolved, because it turned out to be much harder to write funny dialogue for smart characters than for for whacky morons.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Non Compos Mentis posted:

detective pikachu is like columbo

chansey is quincy md

i rescind my previous comment, detective pikachu is like jim rockford

flying/surfing detective pikachu is like magnum p.i

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh thanks. Yeah I looked up it and arguably they're $500 dollars together which is insane.

I'd rather play them lol.

Honestly, once we get our new flat, I think I'll move all that stuff to Europe with me. The biggest issue will be having to get a North American Wii assuming mine isn't around/doesn't work. Which I don't see why it wouldn't work. Controllers aren't region locked so that problem is solved.

Keep in mind later Wii's don't have Gamecube compatibility (dunno if you can mod them to regain it, but you wouldn't be able to use the GC controllers anyway), so you'll have to find one of the earlier iterations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Keep in mind later Wii's don't have Gamecube compatibility (dunno if you can mod them to regain it, but you wouldn't be able to use the GC controllers anyway), so you'll have to find one of the earlier iterations.

That is super good to know. Thank you.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the only wii's that cna't do GC are the red ones, don't buy those. i dont think they even have a network connecton on them

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

there's a white wii revision that's meant to rest horizontal and lacks GC ports

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Astro7x posted:

Making the console identical looking to the Wii was dumb. I had a coworker who was my age that played games, and thought that the Wii U was an accessory.

It's really not identical beyond "vaguely rectangular"

Using the Wiimotes was more problematic

But the marketing was terrible, yes

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bleck posted:

I've seen every episode of that show and none of the main cast ever manages to harass and/or murder even one single minority

There was one episode where terry crews (out of uniform) was harassed by a racist beat cop in his own neighborhood

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Motto posted:

Guess who accidentally bought one of those for cheap from gamestop back in the day thinking "I'll be able to play Wii games AND gamecube games!"

Thankfully if you homebrew them, they still have all the original GC hardware in them, minus the ports, so you can still play GC games as long as you have a wii classic controller

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Didn’t realize that the Wii classic controller had analog triggers until a few months ago, just thought they were extra squishy digital ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Motto posted:

I believe that's the Wii Mini.