Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RatHat posted:

Also has something in common with Attack on Titan: Engrish localization names

Yeah, I was surprised to find those names are usually mandated by either the creator or the studio. Some translations just in general, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Dennis is not my friend but I am friends w many charlies

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

The people who idolize Dennis are out there, we just won't know much about them until the FBI profilers catch them.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Anime was right

Did that mod just say anime was right?

No, no! He said anime was blight.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Also do FD Signifiers videos go beyond incredibly surface level stuff? I tried to watch his video about the manosphere but he spent like 20 loving minutes talking about the relationship between Batman and The Joker for some reason and I gave up on it.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
It's a shame Legend of the Galactic Heroes (the original) never got an actual English's release, now there's an anime whose ending and various political aspects are worth discussing. :colbert:

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 10, 2023

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

trucutru posted:

I need to see the early seasons of BB again.

it's very fun to watch it with heisenberg in the back of your mind and realize that no, heisenberg didn't "take over", Walt was always a selfish megalomaniac and showed it from episode one. he just lost his inhibitions over time.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
what too much breaking bad will do to a mf

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

RatHat posted:

Also has something in common with Attack on Titan: Engrish localization names

i think Dungeon Meshi's English name was picked specifically so that it could be shortened as DnD, but they could have just gone with Dungeons and Dining so :shrug:

still can't beat the Spanish localization name

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

cannibalism... good?

It's just like Truffaut said, there's no such thing as an anti-vore story.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
If its always sunny in Philadelphia's cast is comparable to the Sorpranos. that must mean that Seinfield is Sorpranos lite.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

This is neat: TakeShi's Castle did have way more winners than people going to the Moon, and this guy set that straight.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Anyone know what's going on with Little Kuriboh? I've seen a lot of drama posting, but have no idea what it's about. I liked YTAS and he has seemed pretty cool about owning up to the lovely jokes earlier in the series.

https://twitter.com/yugiohtas/status/1689640704677662720
https://twitter.com/yugiohtas/status/1689688103831941120

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

From what I gathered so far:

LittleKuriboh (LK) and TeamFourStar (TFS) had mutual friends/work acquaintances, which makes sense cause the parody fandubbing world can't be that big.
One or multiple of these mutual people was a sexpest, this part isn't surprising but still sad.
The discussion seems to be around if/when LK and or TFS learned of those and cut their ties with the people involved.

I personally hope it isn't actually too bad, or worse a "knew all along" or coverup case cause the TFS and especially LK always seemed like stand up guys.
LK especially has been open about his own mental health and like you said owed up to some jokes not aging well.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Apparently one of his old friends turned out to not be such a nice person is all I know.
Also his cat died, which is a pain I know very well. So bad timing on the drama part.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
LK used to be friends with Kirbphober/Christopher Niosi, who is a horrible abusive shitbag. According to LK, he listened to Niosi whine at him over the phone for an hour and decided to cut ties with him then and there. TFS were also associated with some shitbags in the past (they did art and other work for them I guess) but they've long since been tossed into the dustbin.

People are upset at LK/TFS for waiting so long to air all this out, but according to TFS, they acted on advice from their lawyers, therapists, and other professionals to not publicly disclose anything on the situation when it first happened. (TFS response here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19nq7oYEm7J_usDFl-0p2FUZu4hcyqCA41xytUf6QAGA/preview)

Edit: Here is the doc from the original accuser which set this whole thing off -- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Oa86KCZpHAQQL7-97_J_QJl0yV5YNF1t-r9Xm0Q11QI/preview

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 10, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

LK used to be friends with Kirbphober/Christopher Niosi, who is a horrible abusive shitbag. According to LK, he listened to Niosi whine at him over the phone for an hour and decided to cut ties with him then and there. TFS were also associated with some shitbags in the past (they did art and other work for them I guess) but they've long since been tossed into the dustbin.

People are upset at LK/TFS for waiting so long to air all this out, but according to TFS, they acted on advice from their lawyers, therapists, and other professionals to not publicly disclose anything on the situation when it first happened. (TFS response here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19nq7oYEm7J_usDFl-0p2FUZu4hcyqCA41xytUf6QAGA/preview)

Edit: Here is the doc from the original accuser which set this whole thing off -- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Oa86KCZpHAQQL7-97_J_QJl0yV5YNF1t-r9Xm0Q11QI/preview

Yeah, they even accused Martin of hiding behind his mental health issues which is... not a good look. It's almost like since they can't stop Niosi getting work, and that sucks because he never should be heard from again, they took a swing at TFS and LK instead. There's also the other person who I genuinely have never heard of.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, they even accused Martin of hiding behind his mental health issues which is... not a good look. It's almost like since they can't stop Niosi getting work, and that sucks because he never should be heard from again, they took a swing at TFS and LK instead. There's also the other person who I genuinely have never heard of.

I do get it. As a victim of abuse, it must feel incredibly frustrating to not get the justice you feel like you deserve. From her perspective, I can understand how it would look like LK/TFS were protecting the abusers by staying silent. If their accounts are to be believed, they took the most proper and correct actions they could have in a situation like this.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

New Doc destructo vid!!!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the context.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

From reading the response it seems like the person largely responsible for the accusation against Littlekuriboh, someone called Shadyvox, is a Trump supporter and this was the reason the two fall out. LK discovered this and condemned him for it, which caused Shadyvox to harass LK through emails for a while before ultimately making the threat to ruin his reputation.

Doesn’t exactly sound like a reliable source of evidence to me. So far the only thing LK seems to be guilty of is having been associated with some lovely people ten years ago before he knew how what they were like, and then immediately severing ties when he found out. Not sure what else he’s expected to have done other than use psychic powers to ensure he never interacts with anyone who will go on to do lovely things in the future.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sardonik posted:

It's a shame Legend of the Galactic Heroes (the original) never got an actual English's release, now there's an anime whose ending and various political aspects are worth discussing. :colbert:
legend of the galactic heroes is genuinely one of the best shows(not just anime, SHOWS) ever made and that it was stuck in licensing hell almost forever because the creators wanted to charge like $900 for a boxed set loving sucks

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
One account going around is really heartbreaking.
It feels less like a callout on LittleKuriboh and more like a victim of Psyguy's parasocially reading too much into LittleKuriboh being cordial to her at cons and online. It sucks because her pain feels real, and its a gap her actual abuser clearly weaponized and used to hurt her. But, man. That misplaced anger has clearly already festered in a bad way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the entire situation around the old Abridged VA's is dire and one more clear indication of how poo poo the internet's gotten. a few talented/funny people willing to noodle around with 5-6 minute youtube clips end up blackballed by the industry and in a constant maelstrom of online drama

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I was wondering why this guy's name sounded so familiar while reading over these few posts!

quote:

This is to provide an update on Chris Niosi aka Kirbopher and Bryon William Beaubien aka Will Beaubien aka Brinnmations aka SuperPsyguy.

Psyguy is loving old internet garbage and he's been known as a sex pest, pedophile and general piece of poo poo for like, decades now. Absolutely wild to see that name resurface.

A lot of people worked with that guy for ages without knowing just how hosed up he was - especially young creators who were fans of his work and saw his site/community as their chance to have their big creative break. IIRC he and like, the now famous sonic guy Tyson Hesse used to work together on sonic fan comics and poo poo back in the sprite comic and boxer hockey days. Most people broke ties with him when they found out, too, I recall.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Christ hearing the name Kirbphober again after like over a decade and learning he's Niosi just broke my loving brain.

Feel bad for LK/TFS, calling out sexpests is good and needs to be done whenever possible but it must be really frustrating to get constantly pulled back into drama surrounding collaborations you did like 15 years ago. Like imagine being in your 30's/40's and getting your public and professional reputation trashed because it turned out one of the friends you hung out with during lunch back in 11th grade turned to be an abuser and you never made a public post with receipts to disown them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So Jamie French was recommended earlier in the thread and I really dig her stuff. She did a great video on the mukbang phenomenon which does include the likes of the increasingly tragic Nikado Avacado. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avESdKyusDc

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwa_cnF6u2s

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Captain Invictus posted:

nah

I don't even think aot has a good ending but it's certainly not that far
F.D. Signifier has been criticizing AoT for years at this point and you just keep showing up to defend it

Flying Zamboni posted:

Also do FD Signifiers videos go beyond incredibly surface level stuff? I tried to watch his video about the manosphere but he spent like 20 loving minutes talking about the relationship between Batman and The Joker for some reason and I gave up on it.
This is how his videos are, but then, that's how most of the posted here are

Sardonik posted:

It really has the best quotes and most prescient themes, from the last thread:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh good we've reached the "schizophrenic tapestry" part of The United States' posting

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's their culture, be respectful.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
polygon did a lengthy dive into the entire industry of vtubers from beginning to now, mostly going over the basics and common questions about it. it's relatively thorough on the subjects it covered, though I did notice the lack of mentions of some topics, like how popular it is with trans folks. Pretty decent video. I wonder what others she reached out to for comment besides the ones who appeared in "person" for the video, who didn't respond or show up, though, no hololive or nijisanji talents at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_vjcHHLJuA&hd=1

Assepoester posted:

F.D. Signifier has been criticizing AoT for years at this point and you just keep showing up to defend it
I didn't even realize we were talking about some youtuber lol

anyways, you're welcome to think it's literally hitler and I'll think it's not nearly that bad but still hugely fumbled some of its messaging. peace

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Famethrowa posted:

it's very fun to watch it with heisenberg in the back of your mind and realize that no, heisenberg didn't "take over", Walt was always a selfish megalomaniac and showed it from episode one. he just lost his inhibitions over time.

No it's Skylar's fault

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

drat hbomberguy is absolutely obliterating illuminaughti in the video he's working on

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Captain Invictus posted:

I didn't even realize we were talking about some youtuber lol

anyways, you're welcome to think it's literally hitler and I'll think it's not nearly that bad but still hugely fumbled some of its messaging. peace

I legitimately don't understand how someone could come to the conclusion that AoT is genocide/fascism apologia without being completely uncharitable in their reading. Especially when you had scenes like the military junta's leadership getting ostracized and assassinated by even farther ultra right wing nationalists who then use the most popular salute in the series (the one that fans were constantly using) to further drive home how quickly the Jaegerists adopted ~ Tradition ~ as their claim to legitimacy. It's almost After School special-levels of "Hey, this is how people get swept up in these movements."

Isayama dropped the ball hard with the ending but acting like the manga is a hagiography towards Eren is just straight up wrong. Even F.D. Signifier didn't put that wholly on Isayama but mostly on the fans that unironically think the Jaegerists and Floch did nothing wrong.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Scholtz posted:

No it's Skylar's fault

I saw a Reddit post where someone proposed a gender swapped version of Breaking Bad where it's Skylar who starts a drug empire to pay for Walt's cancer treatments and instead of Saul Goodman, it's Kim Wexler whose her slippery lawyer goon and I've always been fascinated by that thought experiment.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kim Wexler would’ve laid Skyler White out if she copped the kind of prissy attitude Walt did lol

Kim ftw

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Every time I read one of you post something about how you can't believe people aren't taking a specific message from a piece of media, and how we need to "teach media literacy" again, I'm reminded of my high school literature classes. It was mostly the teacher talking down to us about how we weren't getting Maupassant's message and we needed to stop having these weird interpretations instead of just accepting that theirs was the correct one. I loving hated those classes, and the stupid books they made us read.

Then, when I got to a different school and a different teacher, I finally found it fun when we were reading Joyce and given the freedom to elaborate on our own crazy interpretations, before the teacher would lead us into a discussion about them. that loving ruled, even if we were completely wrong at least we got to have fun with it.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 11, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's really frustrating when a tech demo showcasing the ways that algorithmic AIs can be applied to video games goes from what's presented here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba7pipuRfBs

To the inevitable theft of a voice actor's vocal likeness because everyone working with AI generated content seemingly cannot help themselves but scrape without permission:

https://twitter.com/ericalindbeck/status/1689857513586343936?t=xwmu2gDsTgqhIDaz00Yh_Q&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
New doug vid