Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

repiv posted:

even phones are coming with 90/120hz screens now because just scrolling is so much smoother at >60hz

Oh for sure, I'm not really into phones and mostly have one out of necessity, so I was surprised when my iPhone 14 Plus had a slower 60 hz screen versus my wife's older iPhone 13 Pro; it was immediately noticeable to me when I picked her phone up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Arivia posted:

i'm genuinely boggled you're playing doom pwads in 2023 and haven't tried btsx yet. heatwave notwithstanding you are missing out bigtime.

I actually don't have a lot of experience with doom wads at all but I do stand by it still being too hot to play. I've been wanting to get back into Ultrakill for months now and man that's just a too edge of your seat game I don't want to sweat more than I have to

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

I actually don't have a lot of experience with doom wads at all but I do stand by it still being too hot to play. I've been wanting to get back into Ultrakill for months now and man that's just a too edge of your seat game I don't want to sweat more than I have to

Yeah no worries just when the heat dies down slam that btsx you won't regret it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I decided to wait next year to play it. A hour later, I went and spoiled myself with noclip/god to get a feel.
Maps 1 and 5 seems somewhat similar to previous episodes. Maps 2 and 3 are cool because they have much more distinct themes, visually speaking. Map 4 seems... something special, i will say that. I kind of wish I wouldn't have spoiled myself that one!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

WHAT

:stare:

i thought this was never coming out. good lord

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Convex posted:

WHAT

:stare:

i thought this was never coming out. good lord

in the twitter thread essel says the map list isn't finalized yet so we've still got awhile to go, it seems

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHxH61UshHk

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So is this like the q1 remaster where everyone who already had it will get upgraded?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

It's a Christmas in July in Mid August miracle :shobon:

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/08/quake-ii-remaster-now-available-for-ps5-xbox-series-ps4-xbox-one-switch-and-pc

quote:

Developed by id Software in 1997, Quake II is a critically acclaimed first-person shooter that introduces an entirely new science fiction narrative and setting. Now, experience the authentic, enhanced and complete version of the original.

Key Features

Experience the military science-fiction first-person shooter, enhanced.
Get the original mission packs: “The Reckoning” and “Ground Zero.”
Play the all-new expansion “Call of the Machine.”
Get Quake II 64 for free.
Enjoy online and local multiplayer cooperative play.
Play together with cross-play.
Motion aiming ready.
Experience the Original Game, Enhanced

Enjoy the original, authentic version of Quake II, now with up to 4K* and widescreen resolution support, enhanced models, improved enemy animations and gore, improved and restored AI behaviors, enhanced cinematics, dynamic and colored lighting, anti-aliasing, depth of field, the original, heavy rock soundtrack by Sonic Mayhem, and more.

Play the Intense Military Science-Fiction Campaign

Mankind is at war with the Strogg, a hostile alien race that attacked Earth. In response, humanity launched a strike on the Strogg homeworld…it failed, but you survived. Outnumbered and outgunned, fight your way through fortified military installations and shut down the enemy’s war machine. Only then will the fate of humanity be known.

Play the All-New “Call of the Machine” Expansion

A brand-new Quake II experience from MachineGames consisting of 28 campaign levels and one multiplayer deathmatch map.

Enjoy Online and Local Multiplayer and Cooperative Play

Fight the hostile Strogg through the gritty, military science-fiction campaign and expansions in 4-player online or local split-screen cooperative play, and compete in pure, retro-style combat with support for 16-player (online) or *four-player (local split-screen). Bot support for offline and online Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch modes included.

Motion Aiming Ready (PlayStation and Switch)

Improve your gunplay with an option that allows you to aim using gyro controls. The option can be used in conjunction with the control stick for the perfect blend of immersion and accuracy.

Take Quake II Anywhere with xCloud Portability (Xbox and Windows)

Play Quake II wherever you want with Xbox’s xCloud, available only to Game Pass Ultimate players.

*Maximum display resolutions vary by platform.
*Supports four-player local split-screen multiplayer on PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch.
*Supports eight-player local split-screen multiplayer on Xbox Series S and X.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dang that is a huge platter of Quake 2 content

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Baron von Eevl posted:

So is this like the q1 remaster where everyone who already had it will get upgraded?

Looks like it - I'm downloading it now and it's jumped up to 3.6GBs from the initial 700mb.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hell yeah

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Muzzle flash :vince:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
me casually clicking back into this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39PmMJAxhXE&t=80s

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Does this remaster make the gunplay satisfying now? :haw:

I've always wanted to love begin to enjoy Quake 2.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

new machinegames expansion....

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

i don't think they totally remade the game sadly

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

no mention of fan mods/wads on the store page so i guess they're not doing that this time

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Wonder if any changes have been to made to the more bullshit elements of the expansions.

The 7th Guest posted:

no mention of fan mods/wads on the store page so i guess they're not doing that this time

Name three fanmade Q2 level sets.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
gently caress

did they add extra areas that weren't in the original maps

:psypop:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Whats the deal with Quake 2 64? Does it have some unique levels/content? I think I heard it was cut down or something?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It only took 25 years to add muzzle flashes to the guns.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
hell i wanted to play a boomer shooter and i didn't know which one so this is as good an excuse as any

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

site posted:

i don't think they totally remade the game sadly

i'm beginning to suspect they might actually have totally remade the game

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
They just doubled the price of Q2 on steam with this update, I could've bought it half price 20 minutes ago dammit

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Oxyclean posted:

Whats the deal with Quake 2 64? Does it have some unique levels/content? I think I heard it was cut down or something?

Actually! Quake 2 64 has a completely different campaign & story than the PC version. It's pretty neat.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

HolyKrap posted:

They just doubled the price of Q2 on steam with this update, I could've bought it half price 20 minutes ago dammit

Seems like it's still at the old price as of right now on Humble for example:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/quake-ii

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HolyKrap posted:

Yeah big Quake sale til the 16th looks like too. Brutal luck

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

HolyKrap posted:

It's on game pass too.

I'm playing the new expansion, it's cool, although not as much as the one they did for Quake 1.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, the action is at least more intense in the new expansion, with higher enemy count.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
why do you, a person in this thread, not own the classic id games on steam

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Huh. They straight up added an area in the first map, it's not much, but weirder still is a broken door with another room behind it, nothings in it, but there's a lot more then you can see.

TheScott2K posted:

Personally, despite Q2 being one of like the first big pc games that I "owned" I don't think I owned it on steam till a year or so back. Just was one of those titles I didn't have a huge desire to revisit and only picked up when they made the quake bundle super cheap.

As a kid I always lamented not being able to get my hands on the quake 2 expansions, by the time they were easier to pirate or got added to steam, I heard enough about them not being super worth playing that I didn't bother. Might check them out this time though.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Actually! Quake 2 64 has a completely different campaign & story than the PC version. It's pretty neat.
Okay, that's pretty rad then.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

TheScott2K posted:

I don't own Quake 2 on Steam because it's Quake 2. Maybe for 5 bucks I would've bought it to check out Quake 64

Angryhead posted:

Seems like it's still at the old price as of right now on Humble for example:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/quake-ii

Grabbed it from here, thanks

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 10, 2023

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Cool, maybe I'll redownload it to check out the new expansion.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I bought it for like $3 a year ago thinking it'd be fun to play it a little then, and that there was a good chance after the q1 remaster they'd do the same. It's paying off!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Only thing missing that I’d love to have seen was Q2 PS1 port but this is absolutely fantastic. Well done to all involved.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I got 1, 2, 3 all for free due to the Bethesda launcher transferring to Steam.

I’m loving this remaster so far. 2 years ago I played Q2 and HL1 back to back but I actually enjoyed Q2 a little more.:ssh:

Did they greatly tone down the recoil of the machine gun? I remember it being much worse in whatever source port I used.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
While I download this stuff:
Full Release Notes & FAQ
  • Enhanced Gameplay (muzzle flashes, damage indicators, higher ticrate, scores of bugfixes)
  • Enhanced Enemy AI (enemy behavior left unfinished in the original release)
  • Improved lighting, shadows and models
  • Both original expansions
  • Two new ones (Quake 2 N64, Call Of The Machine)
  • There's a compass now
  • The Id Vault (concept art, early levels)
  • Split Screen (8 player on PC and Xbox, 4 on other systems) and LAN play
  • Crossplay across all platforms
  • Enhanced co-op (Copper-style party wipe rules, life limits, health multiplayers, pinging with the point taunt)
  • Bots in deathmatch
  • Accessibility stuff

Tech Overhaul Info

Also, if you're not big on Quake 2, Id still curated some mods for their other remasters for you:
Scientist for Doom
Deathmatch Dimension for Quake 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Kins posted:

While I download this stuff:
Full Release Notes & FAQ
  • Enhanced Gameplay (muzzle flashes, damage indicators, higher ticrate, scores of bugfixes)
  • Enhanced Enemy AI (enemy behavior left unfinished in the original release)
  • Improved lighting, shadows and models
  • Both original expansions
  • Two new ones (Quake 2 N64, Call Of The Machine)
  • There's a compass now
  • The Id Vault (concept art, early levels)
  • Split Screen (8 player on PC and Xbox, 4 on other systems) and LAN play
  • Crossplay across all platforms
  • Enhanced co-op (Copper-style party wipe rules, life limits, health multiplayers, pinging with the point taunt)
  • Bots in deathmatch
  • Accessibility stuff

Tech Overhaul Info

Also, if you're not big on Quake 2, Id still curated some mods for their other remasters for you:
Scientist for Doom
Deathmatch Dimension for Quake 1

What a glorious day