Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Please stop trying to improve the New York Yankees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/StoolBaseball/status/1689349774766432256

No fuckin way I'm marrying a guy with a sub .600 OPS in Colorado. Good lord have some self respect.
-2.2 career WAR in 5 seasons, woof!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

As of the deadline Ohtani had over 8 bWAR (not sure exactly how much, it's 9 exactly now so I presume around 8.5ish)

If he had been traded to the NL, let's say he puts up... 6-7 bWAR. Is it possible for one player to win both MVP awards or would he not be qualified for either?
8.5 WAR in four months is a 4.25 WAR pace in two months. No way he's putting up 6 WAR in August and September alone, that's insane. But if he somehow did, yeah he'd win both awards imo. There's no hard and fast rule about MVP qualification.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
So barring a ridiculous end of the season I guess he's not catching Ruth as the single season leader either then (14.1)

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

bawfuls posted:

8.5 WAR in four months is a 4.25 WAR pace in two months. No way he's putting up 6 WAR in August and September alone, that's insane. But if he somehow did, yeah he'd win both awards imo. There's no hard and fast rule about MVP qualification.

It'd still be the first time an MVP was traded during the season right? McGwire was great in 97 but he didn't actually win MVP, that was Griffey.

I'm presuming that Ohtani would be guaranteed to win AL MVP even if he broke both legs on August 1st, I can't think of anyone who could catch up to him.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

zoux posted:

Quite a journey

https://twitter.com/JuliaMorales/status/1689428510392143873

Jules has been with the team almost 10 years

Look at that light tower - had to move the division banners elsewhere since the Stros decided to start just winning ships.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/MikeGianella/status/1689677819205275649

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I hear they're throwing AAAs now.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

fast cars loose anus posted:

Surely there is someone in the minors who can eat innings at a better clip than *checks baseball reference* an 8.06 ERA and -2 WAR

Sure but I think he’s out of options so they gotta send someone else down to bring up a replacement for him. They’re already at 13 pitchers on the roster so it’s either someone gets hurt (I doubt he’d accept a phantom IL stint after the 60-day shenanigans they pulled on him) or they send a bullpen arm down and are stuck with him taking up a roster spot anyway.

This is moot in a couple weeks anyway assuming they call up Brito when the roster expands to 28.

I guess they could DFA him but that’d send a pretty bad message to potential free agent signings, especially since this season has been over for them for a month.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

Look at that light tower - had to move the division banners elsewhere since the Stros decided to start just winning ships.

yeah now they're just up on the walls along the upper decks now

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sevy is a FA after the season and is showing no signs of unfucking himself, I don't see what the problem with cutting bait would be if you're hoping to salvage the season which I assume they still are even if most of us consider it a lost cause by now

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Well Played Mauer posted:

Sure but I think he’s out of options so they gotta send someone else down to bring up a replacement for him. They’re already at 13 pitchers on the roster so it’s either someone gets hurt (I doubt he’d accept a phantom IL stint after the 60-day shenanigans they pulled on him) or they send a bullpen arm down and are stuck with him taking up a roster spot anyway.

This is moot in a couple weeks anyway assuming they call up Brito when the roster expands to 28.

I guess they could DFA him but that’d send a pretty bad message to potential free agent signings, especially since this season has been over for them for a month.

I didn't mean cut him or send him down, he's a FA after the year anyway. But they didn't have start him twice after his literally said his confidence was shot lol

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Yeah my point is you can’t call up a starter as a replacement until someone gets hurt or sent down, and bullpen days are hard to pull off when you have a rotation that averages like 5.2 innings per start.

I’m probably overthinking this but what else is there to do with this assemblage of mediocrity with no hope for improvement in the next several years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MLBMetrics/status/1689685116988137474

Bonkers power

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yordan smoked one to that same spot and even he couldn't quite hit it out

e: on Tuesday I mean not today

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/StoolBaseball/status/1689349774766432256

No fuckin way I'm marrying a guy with a sub .600 OPS in Colorado. Good lord have some self respect.

maybe she thought he said Kyle Tucker and by the time she found out it was too late

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tony Phillips posted:

Oh yeah. You're welcome, baseball. In that 16 days they also Tungsten Arm'd Ohtani at the funniest time possible.

This is hopefully the face of a man that has had enough.

I never realized Nevin is actually Cotton Hill until now.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Someone needs to airlift Shohei out of Angel stadium like Moe does with the fan jetpack in the boxing episode.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
serious question, who is your guys favorite over 30 who finally broke into the starting lineup at the big league level player this season? lol already know the answer, it's Tauchman. less Yankees and more Tauch Talk!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

maffew buildings posted:

serious question, who is your guys favorite over 30 who finally broke into the starting lineup at the big league level player this season? lol already know the answer, it's Tauchman. less Yankees and more Tauch Talk!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

maffew buildings posted:

It was Schwindel until it was Wisdom and now it's Tauchman

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

maffew buildings posted:

Ryan O'Hearn only just turned 30 but he was terrible for years with the Royals and then has the highest OPS on the Orioles this year (although he doesn't have enough PA to qualify)

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

duomo posted:

Um if this was true I don't think ohtani would be in that picture

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Intruder posted:

If he had been traded to the NL, let's say he puts up... 6-7 bWAR. Is it possible for one player to win both MVP awards or would he not be qualified for either?

Assuming the same rules as Cy Young, Rick Sutcliffe won the NL Cy in 84 after being traded from Cleveland to the Cubbies. His AL stats were a 4-5, 5.15 ERA in 15 starts and he turned into a 16-1 2.69 in 20 starts with the Cubs. So he'd be at least eligible for NL votes. Overall stats were 20-6 but a mediocre 3.64 ERA so it looks like they only looked at his NL stats.

McGwire looks like he got down ballot NL votes his trade year too, but no AL votes.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Incitatus posted:

Um if this was true I don't think ohtani would be in that picture

Ohtani is actually Phil's son, and Tyler Nevin is his half brother. Hope that helps.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm finding it hard to watch/listen to O's games now without overanalyzing every nice thing they say about the club and wondering if they had to say that or if they wanted to.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

maffew buildings posted:

Easily Joey Meneses.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

explosivo posted:

I'm finding it hard to watch/listen to O's games now without overanalyzing every nice thing they say about the club and wondering if they had to say that or if they wanted to.

Yeah it definitely feels forced/gun to head type environment

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
Doesn't help that Dave Johnson is the D-tier color man and terrible at announcing to begin with

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

explosivo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smrcoASLh5U&t=203s

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

duomo posted:

He defended fiddy unwritten rules!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

pseudodragon posted:

Assuming the same rules as Cy Young, Rick Sutcliffe won the NL Cy in 84 after being traded from Cleveland to the Cubbies. His AL stats were a 4-5, 5.15 ERA in 15 starts and he turned into a 16-1 2.69 in 20 starts with the Cubs. So he'd be at least eligible for NL votes. Overall stats were 20-6 but a mediocre 3.64 ERA so it looks like they only looked at his NL stats.

McGwire looks like he got down ballot NL votes his trade year too, but no AL votes.
ah the golden era of bad awards voting! Sutcliffe did have quite a run there after the trade, putting up 3.9 bWAR in 150 IP and 20 starts with the Cubs (he was traded on June 13th). But the 19 year old rookie Dwight Gooden threw 218 IP, posted a lower 2.60 ERA, struck out an MLB-best 276, and ended up with 5.5 bWAR on the year.

But Gooden's record was "only" 17-9 so Sutcliffe won with that 16-1 record. That's right, the Cy Young Award basically came down to Pitcher Losses, even worse than the typical Pitcher Wins.

Games with 2 or fewer runs of support:
Gooden - 14
Sutcliffe - 2

Sutcliffe won unanimously, of course.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 10, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

ah the golden era of bad awards voting! Sutcliffe did have quite a run there after the trade, putting up 3.9 bWAR in 150 IP and 20 starts with the Cubs (he was traded on June 13th). But the 19 year old rookie Dwight Gooden threw 218 IP, posted a lower 2.60 ERA, struck out an MLB-best 276, and ended up with 5.5 bWAR on the year.

But Gooden's record was "only" 17-9 so Sutcliffe won with that 16-1 record. That's right, the Cy Young Award basically came down to Pitcher Losses, even worse than the typical Pitcher Wins.

If it makes you feel better, Cubs fans are paying for this every time there is a west coast road trip televised by marquee network.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MLBHRVideos/status/1689708043422851072

:thunk:

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bawfuls posted:

There was also a gigantic serving of Cubs going to the post season for the first time in forever, so pitcher losses, narrative and team performance. 3 awesome reasons to vote for an individual award.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

If it makes you feel better, Cubs fans are paying for this every time there is a west coast road trip televised by marquee network.
Oh I just think it's funny how long it took baseball writers to realize that a pitcher has no control over how many runs his team scores for him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Oh I just think it's funny how long it took baseball writers to realize that a pitcher has no control over how many runs his team scores for him.

They still haven't realized this!!

Yanier Diaz, who is somehow not the starting everyday catcher of YOUR Houston Astros, threw out three steal attempts today, in addition to hitting a home run.

Unfortunately, Dusty - and you aren't going to believe this - left his starter in too long and he gave up a 2 run shot in the seventh even though we have an off day tomorrow and plenty of arms

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 10, 2023

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

Jose Abreu, he finally figured out how to hit in the big leagues at the age of 36 this June

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

They still haven't realized this!!
which was the last Cy Young decided by W-L record? They tend to be WAR and/or ERA leaders now

edit: maybe Arrieta in 2015? Voters couldn't seem to decide if they wanted to go with the bWAR and ERA leader (Grienke) or the fWAR and FIP leader (Kershaw) so they split the different and went with the "down the stretch narrative" guy instead

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

When CC went nuclear for Milwaukee, he finished in 5th place with 17 starts

Lincecum finished 1st that year and hard to argue there. Other runners up were Brandon Webb (wins baby), Johan, and Brad Lidge