Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Armacham posted:

What the gently caress is a fish bloc

Families of Russian mobilized on Sakhalin will be given 5 kilograms of fish - the head of the regional executive committee of "United Russia".

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

appropriatemetaphor posted:

so was it actually an optics plant? Or was it secretly a munitions plant?

Were the "fireworks" actually just a gently caress ton of artillery shells stored at an important optics factory for ~*~*~reasons~~*~*??

Fireworks storage in disused factory buildings is a universal truth.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Toxic Mental posted:

just lol if you don't know that optical sensors are made out of fissile materials

The radium they use to paint crosshairs on optical sights ain't no joke

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

aniviron posted:

Do you think there is a russian version of the USCSB? Would be in for a bountiful bumper crop of safety videos in the coming years thanks to all these smoking accidents.

There is but it only exists because it's a vehicle for further grift and corruption, the results of the investigation will be conspicuously devoid of fault if the right administrative fees are paid. If someone more powerful/wealthy/connected than you was in actually in charge, you can easily find yourself with a sudden and well deserved promotion just in time to have an interview with this apparatchik from moskva...

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 10, 2023

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just a few months ago I would have been scratching my head as to why Russia would equip their own internal national security defense force with 155mm artillery, because how on earth would you use it? The only plausible usage scenario has you shelling your own citizens for god's sake!

Then Russia decided to fend off an attack by Russia that took and held Russian settlements, by shelling the Russian settlements, by shelling the Russian citizens, on Russian soil. They will 100% shell their own settlements and citizens with this. It is a show of government investment in domestic terrorism. It's tyranny. gently caress tyrants. gently caress Putin, and gently caress anyone who supports him, whatever county they be in. gently caress every authoritarian shitheel who mouths support to this.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Families of Russian mobilized on Sakhalin will be given 5 kilograms of fish - the head of the regional executive committee of "United Russia".

Fake news, no ring.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Von Pluring posted:

I don't know how reputable a source Newsweek is, but this is certainly something.

https://www.newsweek.com/wagner-mercenaries-attacked-after-return-russia-1818231

Fare thee well, racketeering Wagnerites.

One man's 'stoning to death' is another man's 'Special Geological Operation'

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Still can't believe they emptied the imperial granaries and stocks for the fiefdoms, but it is of course fair that the serfs did go to war for the Tsar

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ukrainians were seen celebrating the optical factories destruction. This is unbelievable

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Edit: wrong thread.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Cartoon Man posted:

Edit: wrong thread.

:five:

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Rugz posted:

One man's 'stoning to death' is another man's 'Special Geological Operation'

Lol

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Who threw that stone?
SHE! SHE! SHE! errrm HE! HE!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Lot of twitter rumblings about Dnipro river crossing and a big breach in the south. But it's just rumblings and rumours atm

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tai posted:

Lot of twitter rumblings about Dnipro river crossing and a big breach in the south. But it's just rumblings and rumours atm

Makes sense they've been conducting river crossings for a few days. And I said this a few days ago. It's happening. The footage I have is Ukrianians doing shoot and scoot maneuvers with boats.

The VDV left the Dniper and moved to the south. So if the South is breaking the VDV is exhausted. Moving them did nothing to stop the tempo of the southern front.

Russia has NO strategic reserves and pulling people away from the river is clearly back firing.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
According to liveua, there is a mandatory evacuation declared in the Kupiansk district in the Kharkiv region. Anyone know what that is about?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

According to liveua, there is a mandatory evacuation declared in the Kupiansk district in the Kharkiv region. Anyone know what that is about?

Russia has been counterattacking at Kupyansk to take advantage of Ukraine's forces being committed elsewhere. They've advanced a couple miles and been throwing a lot of weight of artillery at it.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

RBA-Wintrow posted:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

"Ok, two bricks"
"Woohoo!"

*ambulance siren*

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

Optics plants do not usually do this.

Isn't it an important part of the lifecycle of optics plants to burn down, allowing precious nutrients to return to the soil so a new optic plant to grow?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Isn't it an important part of the lifecycle of optics plants to burn down, allowing precious nutrients to return to the soil so a new optic plant to grow?

It was already working, the first 122mm shells were budding

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

look all i said was if Ukraine gets added to the USSR tree then the russian flag should get changed to:

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

look all i said was if Ukraine gets added to the USSR tree then the russian flag should get changed to:

he's not a religious icon yet, this ban is unfair!! :ssj:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

:lmao:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Toxic Mental posted:

just lol if you don't know that optical sensors are made out of fissile materials

Thoriated glass

quote:

Many Kodak, Fuji and Asahi Takumar lenses that were produced prior to the 1970s are radioactive.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
radioactive is not fissile, unless you want to do arms control on bananas

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah thorium isn't fissile in its natural form, it is fertile and can be converted to U-233 to make it fissile.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Thorium does have fissile isotopes mixed in, just like unenriched uranium.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Tunicate posted:

Thorium does have fissile isotopes mixed in, just like unenriched uranium.

What isotopes are you referring to?

I'm not even sure if there are fissile thorium isotopes. Thorium is a viable source of nuclear fuel because you can breed it into uranium. But there is absolutely not significant portion of fissile isotopes mixed in it before that is done. Thorium cannot be enriched.

Tuna-Fish fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 10, 2023

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Crab Dad posted:

Oops misunderstood because how loving stupid do you got to be to camouflage it as a Ukrainian child. The next Russian squad to move into the area will just shoot it.

Don't be silly.

They'll grab it and ship it off to Kamkatcha to be raised as Russian. Hijinx ensue.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Didn't some kid make his own reactor in his shed using material scraped from clock/watch hands?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kru posted:

Didn't some kid make his own reactor in his shed using material scraped from clock/watch hands?

He used Americium, Thorium, and Tritium and made a neutron source hoping to enrich Thorium to Uranium-233. It was never a reactor. Just really radioactive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

kru posted:

David Hahn, the 'Nuclear Boyscout'!

That, among other things yeah. Smoke detectors, gun sights, lithium ion batteries, etc.

He apparently died in 2016 though.

e;fb

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

CommieGIR posted:

He used Americium, Thorium, and Tritium and made a neutron source hoping to enrich Thorium to Uranium-233. It was never a reactor. Just really radioactive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn

"In 1999, University of Chicago physics majors Justin Kasper and Fred Niell, as part of a scavenger hunt that had as one of its items "a breeder reactor built in a shed," successfully built a similar nuclear reactor that produced trace amounts of plutonium."

Imagine being the organizer for that and someone saying they finished the list.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Telsa Cola posted:

"In 1999, University of Chicago physics majors Justin Kasper and Fred Niell, as part of a scavenger hunt that had as one of its items "a breeder reactor built in a shed," successfully built a similar nuclear reactor that produced trace amounts of plutonium."

Imagine being the organizer for that and someone saying they finished the list.

:stare: Who made that list?!

kru
Oct 5, 2003

He died, Icarus style - flew too close to the radioactive bananas

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

kru posted:

The kid from bloom county made a bomb that way

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/thorstenbenner/status/1689733761510891520?s=20

Looks like Ukraine may be getting Taurus missiles soon. But they are gimped because Scholz is worried about eScaLATiOn and doesn't trust Ukraine.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1689595698247868416#m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

beer_war posted:

Looks like Ukraine may be getting Taurus missiles soon. But they are gimped because Scholz is worried about eScaLATiOn and doesn't trust Ukraine.

I wonder if they consider the whole span of the Kerch Bridge inside Russia or not. Or they are allowed to hit the first half of it closest to Crimea.