Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

:psyduck:

Are you a team of only 5 skaters?

13 full time spots. $12k+ for a full team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Across the water in Bremerton you get 10 games for $500ish, they charge players individually instead of a team fee.

That’s more expensive than the Kraken league, drat. No wonder there are people who will drive over here to play on the south end. Not sure it makes out when you factor gas and time, but there are a handful that have played since it was GSHL because they didn’t like the adult league in Tacoma either.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I spoke too soon on that. Looking though the old schedule we got something like 18 games + playoffs so I guess I just misremembered. Was $500 though, and I got asked to skate up a division a lot as a sub, so I got my moneys worth.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

My winter fees are going to be around $890 CAD for 29+1 but it's the "premium" package so we should have at least half our games start 9-9:30 and get to choose a home arena from a selection of schedules, vs the absolute dogshit schedule we had last season with majority 10:45/11:15 starts and no consistency of location (which still cost like $770).

Worth it imo, it's my only real exercise :v:

Today was "hot dogs in the parking lot" day with my other team of cool people. 6:15 game, parking lot at 7:45, hot dogs and beer (and cake and brownies) until we finally packed up at 9:45. Perfect weather, multiple whole families came to the game and stuck around for dogs, probably like 25-30 people at peak.

The team in the game after us, the next DR over, started absolutely blaring jock rock jamz from a bassy portable speaker the moment they arrived until they got on the ice, and we were around in the parking lot long enough to see their goalie come out after their game wearing a WWE Championship belt with a Pilsner (prairie folk know) held in his teeth as he schlepped his gear. Rockstar vibes, they're doing it right.

When we finally left I got home and witnessed my neighbour battling with an outdoor cat who had gotten into her garden's catnip. Jasper is a chonky boi and was smushing plants in his excitement.

Summer hockey is so rad.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
The team I run in Pittsburgh carries 15 full-time skaters who pay $127 each for 10 games + playoffs. West Coast hockey is crazy expensive in comparison.

There is no centrally organized league, each rink runs its own system, but costs are generally the same between all of them.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I think we paid $5k last season for 25 games plus at least a playoff game. It's pretty much the closet rink to me. They end up melting the ice from May to August. I did find a place about an hour away that is much cheaper but still a good drive.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Pleads posted:

Summer hockey is so rad.
The guy who runs the hour I skate in used to pick up a second hour on Friday nights in the summer and bring a little propane hibachi and make hotdogs for everyone after. I couldn't play last year due to an injury/surgeries but I guess the first Friday came around and literally nobody who committed to the hour showed up and the rink sold the hour to somebody else. Total bummer way to end it. But yeah it used to be pretty rad, hockey from 8-9, parking lot beers from like 9:30-10:30, though some guys went pretty late most Fridays.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
When I lived in Chicago there was an inline rink downtown on North avenue Beach, a very busy area right on lake Michigan with a bike/walking path in front and the beach 15 feet away. I could hop on my bike, ride 10 minutes on the lake front bike path and be there.

I got to know that group really well and the owner was very well connected in the Chicago sports community. I played leagues there and weekend pickup. It was very similar, Friday nights became an invite only/inner group skate. We would skate at 8 after all the public stuff wrapped up. Beers, grilling, hanging out. There were nights we would play until midnight or later. It was one of my favorite memories in my 10 years in Chicago.

There were several ex pros who would swing by, a lot of younger prospects and junior kids, plus a few current nhl coaches and players. It was always a blast and a casual group who just played for fun. Guys would try stuff you couldn't get away with during league play and everybody celebrated goals/good moves. Someone would bring beer, someone would bring meat, everybody else just brought beers or more food. God I miss those days.

I've probably told it before but Colin greening showed up and was a really nice guy, he played with us a bit. His hands were just bonkers. My claim to fame was he was skating up on me and he tried going through my legs as he enters the zone. I anticipated it and used my feet to block it and kick it back the other direction. All the guys cheered me and razzed him. I took it into their zone and backhanded a shot high sort side as the goalie hugged the post and somehow snuck it by him. Don granato also fed me a ridiculous saucer pass through traffic for a one timer that I roofed.

Those are some of my best hockey memories.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Inline hockey is still hugely popular at North Ave Beach in the summertime. In my experience, pros are all super cool when they play with casuals. The best part is they will always hit you with passes right on the tape, which makes you look really good when they do all the hard work for you.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Inline hockey is still hugely popular at North Ave Beach in the summertime. In my experience, pros are all super cool when they play with casuals. The best part is they will always hit you with passes right on the tape, which makes you look really good when they do all the hard work for you.

Oh really? The rink got shut down for a few years and was still shut down when I left chicago 8 years ago. Doc, the guy who ran the company was never making a profit and struggled getting permits from the city for the space. At one point they wouldn't renew his lease. They had moved it indoors in the west loop for a while but that only lasted maybe a year? I know they had the rink assembled in the park further away from the beach which actually probably made the surface nicer and not sandy but I havent seen any updates in a few years. Its good to hear its still going.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I was never in the league, so I don't know if it's the same league now or even a league at all nowadays, but you still see people playing roller hockey there, even though the rink is gone.

Sometimes the beach freezes in the winter too!

https://twitter.com/WGNNews/status/941788509270167557

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Today a guy on the bench told me I smell like Indian food, so I guess that means I'm due to deep clean my gear.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Today a guy on the bench told me I smell like Indian food, so I guess that means I'm due to deep clean my gear.

That or he was just hungry.

I throw stuff through the wash every week or two anymore, but I bought new breezers that won’t fit in the washer. Fit like a glove at least.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Oh man had a beautiful redirect tonight. Defense saw me moving across the slot. Threw it hard at me, and redirected off both posts, had a nice ring on both of them too. The ref started waving it off and it trickled past the line. Felt like I knew how to play hockey. Lol.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I've been in a few practices ran by the Wild skating coach this summer and they've been a blast. One specifically for the Wild players and a couple others open to other NHL guys that live in MN in the summer. Fun to have players recognize me/know my name, only took till about 41 years old to get tied into an NHL team!

Today Kaprizov joined which was rad, it was a nicely stacked skate. I dont bring the gopro because I dont want any sort of distraction or annoyance but the rink does have livebarn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWOjo5DrjjQ

I got a fair amount of screen time in this vid for the big celebrity/Alumni kickoff event too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CupG2xYMAGy/

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

drat that's really cool :swoon:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Some guy called me a f-gg-t for wearing red pants last night. Good stuff. I love beer league hockey.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

titanium posted:

only took till about 41 years old to get tied into an NHL team!
So what you're saying is, I can still make it? Ok time to take my weekly pickup seriously the scouts may still be watching.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I spoke too soon on that. Looking though the old schedule we got something like 18 games + playoffs so I guess I just misremembered. Was $500 though, and I got asked to skate up a division a lot as a sub, so I got my moneys worth.

Ok new season info is out. Registration is all of August, games starting in September $500 for 16 games plus a playoff. No subbing up from C into B. Maybe subbing down from B into C. Contracting teams in B league and distributing to other rosters. Eval skate middle of August but only for new skaters or someone wanting to move up a league. So I guess I’ll try to skate up in B if that means I can skate down a league as a sub.

I skated on Thursday night with the 50+ drop in (I’m 40) and got invited to fill in to the short handed private skate afterwards. Knees are feeling good after not skating for a few weeks, have a slight groin ache though. Got a month to get ready!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Man just latch onto that private skate

That’s the real gold

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

Man just latch onto that private skate

That’s the real gold

Echoing this. I'll sub for league play occasionally still but a consistent time and day with chill people is way better.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Bradf0rd posted:

Echoing this. I'll sub for league play occasionally still but a consistent time and day with chill people is way better.

My shoulder hurts today because some dipshit try-hard in league checked me into the boards last year and I accidentally slept on my right side last night. I only play pickup games now, which is always the same group of chill people at my rink.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
The more I play and the better I get the more I realize how bad I am still. Hockey rules

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Buddy of mine played in a tournament a couple weekends ago and their entire team had stickers on their helmets that said "Don't check me or I'll cum"

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I wasn’t there, but last night, a mom of 4 had a heart attack on the bench, was given CPR and the AED. She later passed away in the hospital. Absolutely awful.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
As morbid as it sounds, I think I'd be OK to go out on the bench/ice.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I'm instantly sad, but very glad that your rink has an AED near the ice. I just wish it would have worked out the other way.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jhet posted:

I'm instantly sad, but very glad that your rink has an AED near the ice. I just wish it would have worked out the other way.

For the long list of faults my rink has, they have the AED very visible and actually sent an email out with pictures of where it is and how to use it.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 5, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I wasn’t there, but last night, a mom of 4 had a heart attack on the bench, was given CPR and the AED. She later passed away in the hospital. Absolutely awful.

That's terrible. We had a youth hockey player in our area die recently in a boating accident. I don't know the details but pretty awful to hear.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

For the long list of faults my rink has, they have it very visible and actually sent an email out with pictures of where it is and how to use it.

This is a really good idea. Thank you for the reminder, I wish it was from different circumstances.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

In Rat Hockey today, one of those "too good to wear a cage or visor" types got extremely offended when a clear attempt he was trying to block nearly hit him in the face. He decided the other guy did it intentionally and started throwing elbows. Then he kept trying to square up to fight the guy and shouting "let's go!" But the other guy wasn't biting. I play rat hockey over league because the vibes are way less chippy, but it seems like I can't ever completely avoid the aggressive assholes.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I've played with a handful of guys like that. An accidental stick comes up, or clearing attempt gone wrong and they flip the gently caress out about almost getting hit in the face. If you're that concerned put a loving cage on. If you're playing in same skate that I am playing in, you're not going pro, put it on. I've gotten accidentally hit in the cage enough times that I know I would be at least missing teeth if not had my nose busted a couple times or worse an eye injury. Happened to me just this week. Guy missed a stick lift and hit me right in the face. He was very apologetic about it but I was just like, hey that's why I wear a cage. It was a total nothing play and we just went on with our night but if I weren't wearing it it would have been a whole loving ordeal with blood everywhere and stopping play and all that poo poo. I think most people in this thread are pro-face protection so this is probably preaching to the choir but it's only a matter of time before some accident fucks up your face.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

bigbillystyle posted:

I've played with a handful of guys like that. An accidental stick comes up, or clearing attempt gone wrong and they flip the gently caress out about almost getting hit in the face. If you're that concerned put a loving cage on. If you're playing in same skate that I am playing in, you're not going pro, put it on. I've gotten accidentally hit in the cage enough times that I know I would be at least missing teeth if not had my nose busted a couple times or worse an eye injury. Happened to me just this week. Guy missed a stick lift and hit me right in the face. He was very apologetic about it but I was just like, hey that's why I wear a cage. It was a total nothing play and we just went on with our night but if I weren't wearing it it would have been a whole loving ordeal with blood everywhere and stopping play and all that poo poo. I think most people in this thread are pro-face protection so this is probably preaching to the choir but it's only a matter of time before some accident fucks up your face.

Wear a cage and hope the refs call it when you take a stick to the head still. Better than wear a cage and hope the refs call it when you take a stick to the head. You know, because power plays are really important in beer league.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jhet posted:

Wear a cage and hope the refs call it when you take a stick to the head still. Better than wear a cage and hope the refs call it when you take a stick to the head. You know, because power plays are really important in beer league.

For the team on the PK, it's a great scoring opportunity.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

xzzy posted:

I love being on the penalty kill in my D league. I forecheck really hard and we end up spending most of the PK in the offensive zone because they keep trying to do bad stretch passes and poo poo

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

xzzy posted:

You are not wrong.

I had a game where the team that was losing kept taking stone cold clear penalties trying to defend while down 3 goals (a couple trips and an interference). On those PKs they were a +3 and the game ended in a tie. By the end they were joking that they should have just kept taking penalties so they could have won the game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's hilarious how a little adversity forces people to play better and a perceived advantage causes people to take their foot off the gas. I've never seen this so clearly demonstrated as on beer league penalties.

This is also why teams should be 10 skaters or fewer.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

xzzy posted:

It's hilarious how a little adversity forces people to play better and a perceived advantage causes people to take their foot off the gas. I've never seen this so clearly demonstrated as on beer league penalties.

Honestly, I had a game where their goalie didn't turn up and they didn't start losing until they had one step in for them. Absolute madness.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah I put a cage on after I kept getting hit in the mouth in ice. I had to get a root canal last year and I'm fairly certain the injury to the tooth came from a high stick I got at some point. I used to wear just a visor but now I'm full cage.

I wore it growing up playing youth hockey anyways so it's not much of an adjustment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

This is the way. We had 7 against a team that crushed up 9-2 last time we played them. We lost with 30 seconds left. People always skate, pass, and shoot smarter with fewer people.