Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Kins posted:

"Complimentary" probably means you bought a key from another site like Humble or GMG or something.

nah it's on a bunch of stuff from early days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’d be curious what a remaster of 3 would be. I’d love to have that on console again. I played the poo poo out of the Dreamcast port.

They give it the usual visual, mechanical updates and then instead of one extra episode from Machine games, we get an entire loving SP campaign. (if you're going to dream, dream big)
But I personally never got into Q3 much, aside from mods that used it. I played the poo poo out of Q1 & 2 mp and then went to UT99. There's just something about 2fort style maps that gets me going more than arena-based DM.

anilEhilated posted:

I actually quite like Quake 4

It's fine, when it came out I was just disappointed that they went with more Strogg stuff as I had always liked the Q1 Cthulu aesthetics more. Hopefully we get a Doom 2016-style Quake reboot eventually.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I kinda liked Quake 4 more than Doom 3. The vehicle sections are absolutely awful tho.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I paid 37.99 GBP in 2010 which seems like an absurd bargain

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I just cant get over how loving good the explosions look in Q2 with all the new dynamic lighting stuff. So rich and fluffy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guillermus posted:

I kinda liked Quake 4 more than Doom 3. The vehicle sections are absolutely awful tho.

you crazy for this one

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

everyone knows prey is the best doom 3 engine game

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The new Quake 2 looks cool with its dynamic lighting and shadows and same some modern QoL like weapon/inventory radial wheel. It's still Quake 2 for better or worse but it seems like maybe the AI is different? Did the enemies always jump off bridges to chase you? I'm playing on Nightmare which I never did before so maybe they always did that on Nightmare (or it was just a scripted thing in this one place?)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Well, I agree with this. I like Prey more than Quake 4 and Doom 3.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Volte posted:

The new Quake 2 looks cool with its dynamic lighting and shadows and same some modern QoL like weapon/inventory radial wheel. It's still Quake 2 for better or worse but it seems like maybe the AI is different? Did the enemies always jump off bridges to chase you? I'm playing on Nightmare which I never did before so maybe they always did that on Nightmare (or it was just a scripted thing in this one place?)

No the AI was broken in the original release, they fixed it and it now does what it was originally intended to do.

Edit: they also did a superb job with the model updates because I could have sworn they looked original until I checked in the enemy viewer. They improved their quality quite a bit by adding more surfaces for shadows to play across while keeping ultra close to the original look.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 10, 2023

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

i prefer wolfenstein 2009 tbh

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

It's Wolfenstein '09, not even close. Prey does a lot of cool stuff but it still looks/plays pretty sludgy.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’d be curious what a remaster of 3 would be. I’d love to have that on console again. I played the poo poo out of the Dreamcast port.

cross platform multiplayer and a deathmatch dimension-esque sp campaign that reworks all of the classic mp maps

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Volte posted:

Enemy AI has received an improvement. Previously-disabled behaviors like dodging and the Berzerker's jump attack have been reimplemented, bot pathfinding nodes are used for navigation, flying is more natural, and decision-making is slightly improved. The Parasite has also been redesigned to be fun to fight.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A full Q3 single campaign would kick so much rear end.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh hey it's that map where I spent like 3/4 of my early teens.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Enemy AI has received an improvement. Previously-disabled behaviors like dodging and the Berzerker's jump attack have been reimplemented, bot pathfinding nodes are used for navigation, flying is more natural, and decision-making is slightly improved. The Parasite has also been redesigned to be fun to fight.

Tested the port on PS5 and Xbox Series and it owns. Need to try and plug a keyboard and mouse and see if that works like with Quake 1 remaster.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

lmao one of the multiplayer player tags is just the fireblu texture

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

It's Wolfenstein '09, not even close. Prey does a lot of cool stuff but it still looks/plays pretty sludgy.

Man if there is game that I totally forgot it exists from the id/Raven sphere it's Wolfenstein '09. And with good reason.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Wolf 09 was great

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Guillermus posted:

Now that Quake 4 is on id/bethesda's hands since years we could get a remaster or a remake.

I think Quake 4 would benefit more from a remake than a remaster as it hasn't aged as gracefully as the first two Quake games or even the other id Tech 4 engine games

Nah that goes to Wolfenstein 2009

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Quake II remaster is kind of overkill, but welcome overkill. I for welcome our Nightdive overlords, and may they go on to do many more crazy things.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
What would you even shoot in a Quake 3 campaign. Just design an enemy roster from scratch? Import Q1/2 monsters? vs bot only?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

God, now I'm hoping one of Night Dive's secret remasters is Wolf '09 and I'm gonna be so bummed when it isn't.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Volte posted:

Wolf 09 was great

"He's got a particle cannon!" *Fwoomph*

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

What would you even shoot in a Quake 3 campaign. Just design an enemy roster from scratch? Import Q1/2 monsters? vs bot only?

Make grunt/clone versions of all the different characters. Do something like the x-men mod did where they are all weaker versions of the original.

But if the new additions to Q2 are any indication, they might be going for a Quake cinematic universe crossover or something.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I'm holding out for a NightDive Thief 1 / 2.

Come to think of it, with the plethora of great fan missions for the two games, a built in downloader would be amazing

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 10, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dramicus posted:

But if the new additions to Q2 are any indication, they might be going for a Quake cinematic universe crossover or something.

That can only mean one thing: quake wars

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The original Q3 “campaign” was a series of premade bot tournaments with 1v1 boss fights

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Crowetron posted:

God, now I'm hoping one of Night Dive's secret remasters is Wolf '09 and I'm gonna be so bummed when it isn't.

Hey, they still need to remaster the Commander Keen games first! How long do we keep needing to play those games sans ray tracing, like chumps!!!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

The original Q3 “campaign” was a series of premade bot tournaments with 1v1 boss fights

That never counted as a real campaign. Hell UT99 had more of a campaign than that was.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tiny Timbs posted:

SiN remaster with SiN Episodes demake in the Quake 2 engine
Oh so now it's brutally apparent why SiN got back burnered.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

catlord posted:

"He's got a particle cannon!" *Fwoomph*

The Big Bore upgrade on the Mauser is burned into my memory.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

site posted:

That can only mean one thing: quake wars

tbh this should be done. can't buy it anymore and it has weird input/framerate issues. fun game. at least open source it or something.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mordja posted:

The Big Bore upgrade on the Mauser is burned into my memory.

Only problem with that one is that it turns all head shots on regular Nazis into the head exploding kind so you no longer get that wonderful death animation of them choking on their own blood if your shot hits them in the throat, sure you can still get that if you hit them in the throat with a bayonet stab but it is still something to keep in mind

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Volte posted:

Wolf 09 was great

I agree.

Lots of fun

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Since MS is going to own Activision soon. Does that mean Wolf 2009 can finally be sold again?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mill Village posted:

Since MS is going to own Activision soon. Does that mean Wolf 2009 can finally be sold again?

I imagine it'll be back up on Steam within a month or so of the sale finishing, probably take a bit longer with the 360 version if mostly because they probably need to tinker with it to make it backwards compatible on the newer Xbox consoles, though once that is done it'll probably be in Game Pass like most of the other id games

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
Also Heretic 2 will finally see the light of day again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's weird we ended up with Both Hexen II and Heretic II since many people were under the impression Hexen was the sequel to Heretic.