Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
My latest kitchen forays:

Bibimbap.

I didn't have time to prep my toppings individually, so I just sautéed all my veg together.
Very good homemade kimchi.

An experimental Indian-inspired... thing.

Based quite loosely on this Indian pumpkin curry.
Added a bunch of veg, used tinned tomatoes instead of fresh, left out the coconut milk and instead added besan flour mixed with soy milk (after I realised 3 minutes before serving that dinner contained no protein).
Also mixed the rice in before serving.
It's pretty moreish.

And a sweet potato pudding.

I psyched myself up for making Filipino-style cassava pudding for the first time, then the Asian grocer had no cassava, so I experimented.
Based loosely on this recipe.
Skipped the custard topping, nixed the butter, used golden syrup instead of sugar, added a couple of vegan eggs (chia seed and rice flour based, I think), and some cornflour.
It was pretty delicious. Very delicate warm from the oven, though; definitely couldn't pick a slice up like the cassava pudding I'm used to. Tonight, I'll see if it fares better chilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I made a very delicious mixed veg croccantella based on this.

It definitely wasn't solid enough to pick up like the one in the video, but it was easy enough to get out of the pan without it collapsing, so I'm happy.
I used all the leftover veg in the fridge, and a load of mixed dried herbs.

Also made a drat-near-perfect (if I do say so myself) pear pie.

I used this oil shortcrust recipe for the crust, with whole wheat flour; it was incredibly easy, and the result is great. I think this'll be my go-to shortcrust from now on.
The filling is just pears, cinnamon, raw sugar, and cornflour, with a soymilk wash and a sprinkle of raw sugar.
Served it with custard.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Made pasta salad, modified version of the love and lemons recipe.

Also made a polenta veggie thing from Tori Avey.

Next I have to deduce how hot the Cherry Bombs I'm growing at home are. I can usually smell/feel for capsaicin but I don't get that vibe out of them at all.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Very delicious food lately! My own contributions:

Lauki chana dal

Lauki toor dal

And for a party:

Baba ghanoush

Samosas, with:

Tamarind chutney and...

Cilantro chutney

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I hope I can complain about how many food products have dairy in them because goddamn it's making shopping a lot more annoying. The words "milk solids" are starting to make me twitch.

A question for the thread though, does anyone have good substitutes for meats and cheeses in sandwiches? Meat+cheese+lettuce+tomato sandwiches are something I used to love eating. Not looking for vegan versions of those but more things that slot into the same kind of role those play in a sandwich. For an example of ones I like so far are potatoes or mushrooms for meat, and hummus or avocado for cheese. Basically the way I see it meat is the star of the sandwich while the cheese adds a fatty-like texture and some flavor, and I would like more options for playing those roles.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Most of my sandwiches these days are falafel (meat) and tahini (cheese).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some sandwich ideas (I believe some of these are copied and pasted from answers people gave in this thread last time someone asked this question):

Hummus + cucumbers + tomatoes + thin sliced red onion + drizzle of pomengranate molasses

Balsamic roasted eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms + tomatoes + basil and arugula

Grilled, marinated portobello mushrooms + roasted red peppers + hummus + basil

Tempeh bacon + Vegan Russian dressing + Sauerkraut

Pesto mixed into a little vegan mayo + tomatoes + olives + roasted eggplant

Crispy tempeh bacon + Avocado slices + lettuce + tomato slices

Breaded, fried tofu + veganaise mixed with a little relish or capers + generous squeeze lemon

Lettuce + Cucumbers + Slivered almonds+ grapes + olives + crumbled tofu + Greek dressing

Tons of raw spinach + thin sliced red onions + red pepper hummus

Mashed cooked chickpeas + diced onion and carrots + relish + vegan mayo + salt, pepper and paprika

Roasted Eggplant + Spinach + tomato chunks in tahini miso dressing (equal parts tahini and miso plus a little warm water and agave nectar)

Roasted sweet potato mashed + mushrooms + onions + corn + spinach + hot sauce

Mashed black beans + salsa + guac + jalapenos

Sliced, roasted beets + avocado slices + sweet mustard + sliced onion

Baba Ganoush + roasted red peppers + roasted zucchini + squeeze of lemon

Cucumber + tomatoes + sliced onions + lettuce + Italian dressing

Falafel + red cabbage slaw + hummus

Cucumber + tomato + red onion + hummus

Shredded sweet potato cooked a bit and BBQ sauce + red onion + tomato + lettuce

Avocado + Crispy Kale: First, crisp your kale. I used a 5-ounce clamshell of curly kale leaves, tearing out and discarding any thick ribs. Rub/toss them with 1 tablespoon olive oil, spread them on a large baking sheet in one layer, seasoned them with salt and pepper, and baked them at 375 for 10 to 15 minutes, until crispy and just barely brown at the edges (keep an eye on it). Then, scoop out and slice 4 avocados, fan the slices across the bread and mash/spread them smooth. Coat with olive oil, lemon juice, flaky salt, and red pepper flakes (like we do here). Spread crispy kale over avocado.

Hummus + Cucumber + Pickled Carrots: First, coarsely grate 1 pound of carrots. Pour 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup cold water, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1 to 2 teaspoons (to taste) of granulated sugar over it and stir to combine. (You could also add mustard or dill seeds or fresh chile peppers here.) Chill in the fridge for as long as you have — 30 minutes, an hour, and up to a few days. Carrots will get more pickled the longer it soaks. To make your sandwiches, schmear the bottom half of the bread with about 1 1/2 cups hummus (storebought or homemade). Squeeze out little handfuls of pickled carrot and sprinkle this on as your next layer. For you final layer, use a y-peeler to shave long ribbons off 1 large (1/2 to 3/4 pound) seedless cucumber. Tousel these on top; season them with salt and pepper.

Walnut pesto + grilled zucchini

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Large mushrooms sliced thin can be good where you would normally use meat, but I guess you already got that. Don't knock Seitan either, you can do a lot with it and it's easier to make than it looks.

Giving up cheese is my main block. :(

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Nettle Soup posted:

Giving up cheese is my main block. :(

Make your own! This recipe below is quite applicable in sandwiches, etc. It gets kinda hard day two. Great for grilled cheese sandwiches / pizza and very easy to make.

https://www.noracooks.com/easy-stretchy-vegan-mozzarella-cheese/

+ image of it being used to make pita pizzas.

She has a great queso recipe that also works well for tacos as noted, but recommends Rotel which might not be available globally.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 10, 2023

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Honestly few things are satisfying as a sandwich made up of a boat ton of veggies. Lettuce, spinach, tomato, cucumber, pickles, olives, onion, all on a crusty deli roll or something. If you’re into that sort of thing, roasted red pepper, roasted eggplant slices, roasted zucchini, sautéed mushrooms. All of it. Throw on some mashed avocado if you have it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

roasted veggie sandwiches are indeed the best

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I do a lot of veggie + hummus sandwiches. I also watched this youtube yesterday, and it looked really good but like a lot of effort to prep https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOz1BR-cDXA

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

dino. posted:

Honestly few things are satisfying as a sandwich made up of a boat ton of veggies. Lettuce, spinach, tomato, cucumber, pickles, olives, onion, all on a crusty deli roll or something. If you’re into that sort of thing, roasted red pepper, roasted eggplant slices, roasted zucchini, sautéed mushrooms. All of it. Throw on some mashed avocado if you have it.

Yeah pretty much that's how my veggie sandwiches end up and tbh it's better than meat+cheese sandwiches. I usually tend to go with wraps though.

IMO the trick with making tasty sandwiches is getting enough salty stuff in there. So hummus that's well seasoned, some kind of dressing, olives, pickles, sauerkraut, or a litany of other things. Coleslaw can work good too.

That and making sure there's some textural elements going on. Good to have something crunchy, something soft, and something chewy.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Phigs posted:

A question for the thread though, does anyone have good substitutes for meats and cheeses in sandwiches?

The best fake vegan meat I’ve cooked myself is kenji’s smoked mushrooms (you can get the applewood in the grilling section at the grocery store). Seitan is very easy to make too, but it doesn’t treat me well, so I stay away from it. The best vegan sandwich I’ve ever had was a jackfruit bbq sandwich from a food truck in Brooklyn. I haven’t attempted to recreate it but I do know that a lot of grocery stores carry readymade jackfruit bbq which I have no personal experience with.

As far as cheese, I’ve tried them all, I’ve made my own, and there is no substitute. For sandwiches I go heavy on the sauce, aioli, hummus, etc. and I don’t miss the cheese.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I've had the prepared jackfruit BBQ stuff you can get at the store and it's fine.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
One of my favourite sandwich fillings for a while was a thin, crispy pancake made of chickpea flour. Spice it heavily, whack it in a hot pita or a toasted sandwich with loads of schug, tahini and yoghourt sauce, pan fried eggplant, tabbouleh, pickled onion, and fresh tomato.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

quote:

Ingredients
Wheat flour (86%), water, egg (3%), salt.

Why noodles, why? Is that 3% really necessary? How much can it be doing, it's 3%!

Anyway, thanks for the sandwich suggestions. I haven't tried each suggestion yet of course but so far roasting a vegetable has been a consistently good strategy for forming sandwiches.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 12, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

thin strips of roasted zucchini are such a great sandwich topping

Happiness Commando posted:

I do a lot of veggie + hummus sandwiches. I also watched this youtube yesterday, and it looked really good but like a lot of effort to prep https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOz1BR-cDXA

the thinly sliced tofu + onion is fantastic, i make it all the time

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Lady Disdain posted:

One of my favourite sandwich fillings for a while was a thin, crispy pancake made of chickpea flour. Spice it heavily, whack it in a hot pita or a toasted sandwich with loads of schug, tahini and yoghourt sauce, pan fried eggplant, tabbouleh, pickled onion, and fresh tomato.

sounds amazing, do you have a recipe?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Find a socca recipe that strikes your fancy - IMO chickpea flour, water, salt and a glug of oil are all you need. Just get it to a wet batter consistency

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Colonel J posted:

sounds amazing, do you have a recipe?

Nah, I always just eyeballed it. It's been so long since I've had it that I'm not sure what I used to do, but I just made it for lunch so I could try it out.
I did 25g besan flour to 65g water, and it was just about right. Whisk til it's lump free. For spices, my go-to would be something like a Lebanese seven-spice, but it would depend how flavourful my condiments were. This time around, I did cumin, coriander, sumac, turmeric, smoked paprika, s & p.
I sautéed some onion and spring onions in oil in a hot pan, then poured a thin layer (like, crêpe-thin) into the pan and cooked til crispy.

It's kind of hard to gently caress up, so it's infinitely experiment-able.

Phigs posted:

Why noodles, why? Is that 3% really necessary? How much can it be doing, it's 3%!

Not sure what the situation's like where you are, but around here, the vast majority of noodles are inherently vegan. So you might just need to look for a different variety of noodle.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Lady Disdain posted:

Not sure what the situation's like where you are, but around here, the vast majority of noodles are inherently vegan. So you might just need to look for a different variety of noodle.

It's unfortunately the cheapest noodle by far at the shop. I'm thinking I'll just use spaghetti instead.

Also I had saved chickpea flour to a list to try your suggestion next shop. Then I see you list "besan flour" which I looked up only to see that it's chickpea flour by another name. I searched my supermarket for that term and found some besan flour that's less than half the price per unit of the chickpea flour I found otherwise so that's nice.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
The Indian section of the grocery store is full of cheaper versions of grains/beans/pulses/spices than are found in the other sections, ime.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I guess I'm just surprised by the idea of a sandwich with a crispy "pancake" as a filling. I'll have to try it out, it sounds great with all the condiments you mentioned.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I made a tempeh slider for lunch. Two slices of fried tempeh (with some soy sauce), half a roll, both steamed over some shallots. Topped with hummus.

Tasted pretty good, but I think it really needs a soft style roll. The hummus was ok, but I think I need better toppings. Any suggestions? Thinking something sour, plus more onions. I wanted the hummus to give a nice richness like cheese does, but it didn't quite work.

First batch of tempeh in over a year, but it went great! Just need to streamline cooking/draining/cooling, plus get a bit better at packaging.

It smelled amazing when I pulled it out of the fermenter.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

You might be able to add a bit of tahini or vegan yogurt to make the hummus creamier.

I really like sauerkraut or pickled onions (although that will probably be too much onion) with tempeh on sandwiches.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I'm a massive fan of antipasto-style eggplant in a sandwich. It adds a bit richness thanks to the oil, creaminess because of the melt-y texture of the flesh, and sourness.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Bit of an aside, thought it was worth mentioning. We make homemade pizza all the time, so...

(not icsa material, haha).

Tested make ahead pizza dough from https://momsdish.com/recipe/498/overnight-pizza-dough-recipe - still can't find a make ahead dough we're happy with entirely. Absolutely would appreciate thread recommendations on that!

I make the pizza sauce from scratch via https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/11771/easy-pizza-sauce-i/ , and I find nothing store bought compares. I've been playing with how little oil I can get away with & always skip salt, so that I can be further from a junk food concept. Hard to deal with the vegan cheese/pepperoni for my kid who loves it, though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I was away for a while but I'm back and cooking.

Made some sauerkraut.

Eggplant plus potatoes.

Fermented rice that I asked about in the Indian food thread, topped with onions, green chili, and curry leaves.

Parwal (pointed gourd).

Okra do pyaza.

Bunch of rotis.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

since we don't have a rap forum anymore I don't know where else to post this screenshot from Murphy Lee's 2003 music video for Hold Up, so it's going here

he's vegan

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey, question from an ignorant meat eater.

Work is having a potluck, taco bar, and I signed up to make the taco meat.

We have like 4 vegetarians, and I just realized there wasn't a real vegetarian/vegan entree option, just a "vegetable tray".

I figured I could make a portion of vegan ground beef substitute or something, but I'm not sure what to use. I've only ever cooked with tofu and tempeh.

Would "beyond meat" ground beef substitute work? Or something like seitan?

Is there anything I need to know about cooking this stuff as far as like making sure it's not too dry? Obviously I can't just toss in a spoonful of bacon grease...

Anyway, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

Specifically when I need to make vegan "taco meat" -- I soak 1 cup of Bob's Red Mill TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) in 1 cup of water + 1 tbsp of soy sauce, and wait until all the liquid has been absorbed.

That can then be used as if it were 1lb of raw ground beef in however it is you normally prepare your taco meat.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Apsyrtes posted:

Specifically when I need to make vegan "taco meat" -- I soak 1 cup of Bob's Red Mill TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) in 1 cup of water + 1 tbsp of soy sauce, and wait until all the liquid has been absorbed.

That can then be used as if it were 1lb of raw ground beef in however it is you normally prepare your taco meat.

Excellent! Just what i needed to know!

Everything else should be at least vegetarian friendly (I don't think any of them are specifically vegan), but I want to make sure they can actually have tacos and not just tortillas with lettuce and hot sauce or whatever.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Seitan makes excellent taco stuffing but I’d avoid it for a work event because someone is going to be both vegan and gluten free.

Honestly you can do just fine with marinated tofu or black beans.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The meat substitute stuff can work, especially the impossible brand is very close. That said, if you’re on chatting terms with the co-workers in question maybe send them a message asking if they like that. Could be they don’t for whatever reason.

Whenever I make tacos I tend to just go with refried beans or veggies (think like fajita veggies). You’d have to make them vegan by using shortening rather than the traditional ingredients.

For veggies something roasted or fried and spiced would work well. You don’t have to have a protein in tacos, I’m personally fine with just some nice veggies.

The problem with those two suggestions is both those could work in a meat taco too, so if you’re just going to bring a bit of whatever for the vegetarians/vegans just make sure you got a plan so they can get at it. Don’t want them to be last in line with nothing to put on a taco.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Beans of all kinds go well with vegetarian tacos.
Or falavel ,which is the default for vegetarian dürüm, if you want to put in effort.

If they are vegetarian and not vegan, you could also offer cheese.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Yeah, they're vegetarian, so there'll be stuff like cheese and sour cream.

I'm only responsible for the "meat".

Luckily we are a fairly small and tight-knit staff, so if I make a separate portion of vegetarian taco meat nobody will touch it until the people who are actually vegetarian have had theirs.

I'm also signed up to bring hot sauce(s), so I'm going to bring a few different spiciness levels. I'm also fermenting some peppers, onions, and garlic, so if that's ready I'll bring my own sauce.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021
Chopped up sauteed mushrooms is also a pretty simple, delicious and savoury filling.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

scrambled tofu also works and is my favorite for quick tasty tacos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Annath posted:

Hey, question from an ignorant meat eater.

Work is having a potluck, taco bar, and I signed up to make the taco meat.

We have like 4 vegetarians, and I just realized there wasn't a real vegetarian/vegan entree option, just a "vegetable tray".

I figured I could make a portion of vegan ground beef substitute or something, but I'm not sure what to use. I've only ever cooked with tofu and tempeh.

Would "beyond meat" ground beef substitute work? Or something like seitan?

Is there anything I need to know about cooking this stuff as far as like making sure it's not too dry? Obviously I can't just toss in a spoonful of bacon grease...

Anyway, advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you're in the US in an area that has one a trader Joe's, they have a vegan chorizo mock-meat in a tube. It's cheap, flavorful, not spicy.

If you want to make something yourself, https://cookieandkate.com/roasted-cauliflower-and-lentil-tacos/ or http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2013/04/lentil-and-cauliflower-rice-tacos.html ade an option that can be done.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 9, 2023