Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I can see what they are saying, though MPG does have its value in letting you estimate your remaining range based on the % of the gas tank that's left.

I've always thought of that as somewhat backwards - I guess it's whether you start from the destination and work out how much fuel that will take, or start from the amount of fuel then work out what destinations you can get to.

alnilam posted:

FWIW fueleconomy.gov and the EPA stickers now put the better metric of gal/100mi in tiny font underneath the mpg rating. For EVs they similarly put kWh/100mi in tiny font underneath the MPGe rating. So it seems like the folks at the EPA listened to the academics somewhat, but could not fight the inertia of people being used to MPG numbers.

The agency I used to work for was responsible for a similar labelling programme and the marketing people there were dead set on having a single star rating with no numbers at all visible - apparently it was 'less confusing for consumers' that way.

Of course in reality fuel economy is not simple, and oversimplifying it doesn't do anyone any good. Especially for PHEVs where you your results will widely vary depending on usage, but even in normal ICE cars a single combined rating hides that different types of drivetrain will work better in the city or on the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Mormons prefer the discreet sprinter passenger van to pack in those double digit spawn counts.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
A reasonable sized vehicle for kids and dog? Have you considered a station wagon?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Speleothing posted:

A reasonable sized vehicle for kids and dog? Have you considered a station wagon?

exactly what I'm getting! (while there are still ones being made)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I saw the Toyota Mirai in the wild last weekend. It looks more regular than most EVs. I have no idea how they charge these hydrogen fuel cells though. It was in the middle of San Francisco and I didn’t think the charging network for this stuff was getting any bigger.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think someone on the forums has a hydrogen car. San Francisco / California generally is where I would expect to see them. The poster who has one is around Sacramento if I recall correctly.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Jeep Grand Wagoneer is the McMansion of personal vehicles

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think someone on the forums has a hydrogen car. San Francisco / California generally is where I would expect to see them. The poster who has one is around Sacramento if I recall correctly.

Last I checked it was California and a few corridors running out from the DC area

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

The Jeep Grand Wagoneer is the McMansion of personal vehicles

I just drove next to one today and it is truly massive. Just a return to the biggest, bloatiest Land Cruiser imaginable. It’s like it was 2005 again.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thwomp posted:

I just drove next to one today and it is truly massive. Just a return to the biggest, bloatiest Land Cruiser imaginable. It’s like it was 2005 again.

When I first saw one, my initial thought was that it belongs in a mid 2000s music video. Birdman would love all the TVs in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iCd6UHR-3I

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Volvo is doing a come see the ex30 ex90 tour in case anyone is interested. https://www.volvocars.com/us/l/retailer-tour/

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Someone's going to come in here and :actually: explain to us why they need an SUV that size and that we're all idiots.

I feel for you guys but it pisses me off more that these behemoths are starting to catch on here where our parking spaces and road lanes are absolutely not designed for US-spec tanks trucks

Its bad enough that every second vehicle now is a dual-cab bought as a tax-writeoff that neither goes off-road nor carries anything that you couldn't fit in a Corolla

I'd be praying for sky-high fuel prices if i thought it would make any difference to the popularity of these things

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 10, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

the rich Mormon/Quiverfull family with 4-6 kids is a more common demo than a lot of us might think

Rich quiverfull people aren't buying electric vehicles imo

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

priznat posted:

I want a decent size car for kids and dogs but escalades/wagoneers/yukons are loving ridiculous. Can’t imagine what a pain in the rear end it must be to park one of those fuckers.

Once on a trip to Hawaii my family ended up with a Yukon XL after the rental place oversold and had virtually no stock. Not only was it loving miserable to drive and drank gas like mid century ad executives drank bourbon, the island infrastructure simply didn’t anticipate needing to support a loving tank.

We had to pay the hotel extra to park in a limited number of parking spaces that didn’t need to go up the ramps, because it literally wouldn’t fit. One night, they were out of said parking spots, so I had to find street parking big enough to actually fit in and parallel park the drat thing.

It’s literally the worst vehicle I’ve ever driven.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Blue Moonlight posted:

Once on a trip to Hawaii my family ended up with a Yukon XL after the rental place oversold and had virtually no stock. Not only was it loving miserable to drive and drank gas like mid century ad executives drank bourbon, the island infrastructure simply didn’t anticipate needing to support a loving tank.

We had to pay the hotel extra to park in a limited number of parking spaces that didn’t need to go up the ramps, because it literally wouldn’t fit. One night, they were out of said parking spots, so I had to find street parking big enough to actually fit in and parallel park the drat thing.

It’s literally the worst vehicle I’ve ever driven.

I rented a Ford Flex one time when we went to california and it was great, tons of room, easy to drive, fit places well. The oldest kid loved having the 3rd row all to himself! It was a little janky in some ways like most fords but overall a solid choice. Of course they killed them off for bigger explorers and expeditions!

There is a yukon xl that drops kids off at the school that shares the lot with my youngest’s daycare and it is so obnoxious. She parks it right in the exit lane because none of the angled spots fit. Gives no fucks when people tell her to move. Just the worst. I hope the gas bills bankrupt their family.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

QuarkJets posted:

Rich quiverfull people aren't buying electric vehicles imo

do you even know what a Grand Wagoneer is?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I saw a grand wagoneer the other day and it looks like a gigantic fridge tipped over with wheels and windows installed

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

priznat posted:

I saw a grand wagoneer the other day and it looks like a gigantic fridge tipped over with wheels and windows installed

It has a giant cooler in it lol.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Makes more sense than the Hummer EV, at least. Although fever dreams make more sense than the Hummer EV, it's a pretty low bar.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

It has a giant cooler in it lol.

so does a Land Cruiser

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
lol there are now two major threads discussing the $100,000+ Wagoneer

a second wagoneer has hit the subforum

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

There’s a story on the national news site (:canada:) about a guy trying to road trip from southern manitoba to wisconsin and chicago in a F150 lightning and ending up having to get it towed and renting a gas car because of the shoddy charging infrastructure

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/electric-vehicle-trip-charging-infrastructure-1.6932074

That would really suck, sounds like the rural infrastructure is still pretty trash for trips like this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

priznat posted:

There’s a story on the national news site (:canada:) about a guy trying to road trip from southern manitoba to wisconsin and chicago in a F150 lightning and ending up having to get it towed and renting a gas car because of the shoddy charging infrastructure

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/electric-vehicle-trip-charging-infrastructure-1.6932074

That would really suck, sounds like the rural infrastructure is still pretty trash for trips like this.

I’m curious how he “planned” the trip, if he did at all, because looking at the area he ran into trouble and uh yeah it’s pretty bad in that there’s few chargers there and in the adjacent cities ANd the chargers all have terrible ratings.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol there are now two major threads discussing the $100,000+ Wagoneer

a second wagoneer has hit the subforum

Jeep fuel can’t melt steel beams.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m curious how he “planned” the trip, if he did at all, because looking at the area he ran into trouble and uh yeah it’s pretty bad in that there’s few chargers there and in the adjacent cities ANd the chargers all have terrible ratings.

Yeah I think it was mostly that, really. Perhaps just had unrealistic expectations on the state of the chargers and didn’t have any potential backups in range.

I’m really looking forward to nice charging rest stops being built out but that will take some time to get all in place.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Buying a whole car because it has a little mini fridge in it is dumb. I have a ~$60 one I can drop in my car any time I need it to run off of the 12v outlet.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

MrYenko posted:

Jeep fuel can’t melt steel beams.

My electric jeep is still slated for delivery on 9/11 :911:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Buying a whole car because it has a little mini fridge in it is dumb. I have a ~$60 one I can drop in my car any time I need it to run off of the 12v outlet.

Similarly, I have no idea why anyone wants rear seat entertainment screens at this point when the 5 year old iPad you've begrudgingly let your kids take over does a better job in every way.

GM trying to compete with Carplay / Android is going to be a big misstep I think.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Good lord the front end is huge. Reports say 12.2 cubic feet of frunk space. Gotta be able to fit like 60lbs of shrimp in that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

People are going to buy their $130k + $20k ADM EV and plop one of those Alibaba CarPlay screens on top of the built-in panel

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

Good lord the front end is huge. Reports say 12.2 cubic feet of frunk space. Gotta be able to fit like 60lbs of shrimp in that.

Wolfram Alpha tells me that a cubic foot of shrimp is 15kg, so that's 183kg or ~400lb of shrimp.

Gonna need a cooler of cocktail sauce for that frunk.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Peanut3141 posted:

Wolfram Alpha tells me that a cubic foot of shrimp is 15kg, so that's 183kg or ~400lb of shrimp.

That’s a frunkin lot of shrimp.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Does it even have a drain hole?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
My first thought on the EV Escalade is NYC is going to be absolutely loving crawling with them, in a few years like 2/3rds of the cars are going to be EV Escalades.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Three Olives posted:

My first thought on the EV Escalade is NYC is going to be absolutely loving crawling with them, in a few years like 2/3rds of the cars are going to be EV Escalades.

livery companies are probably gonna like these things

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Peanut3141 posted:

Ouch, my gout hurts just thinking about it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I saw a Volkswagen ID Buzz today, the cargo version, and it made me kinda double-take. It really stands out from all the other nondescript cargo vans all the tradespeople drive around here - it really is reminiscent of an old VW bus in some way. In this case it looks like a local rock drilling contractor got themselves a new work vehicle, judging by the logo on the side. Business must be booming, that thing can't be cheap.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 10, 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

White upper-middle-class suburbanites who have used the existing Escalade as a status symbol for like a decade or more.

The Escalade is easily a top 3 ugliest vehicle on the road I have no idea who even likes it.

It’s seriously hideous.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Kirios posted:

The Escalade is easily a top 3 ugliest vehicle on the road I have no idea who even likes it.

It’s seriously hideous.

In my old neighborhood I used to bike every day past an Escalade with a teeny tiny pickup bed instead of a trunk, a bed only as deep as a trunk so completely useless, in fact less useful than the regular Escalade's trunk. It was also hideous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

People who love escalades also love monster mcmansions with a completely paved yard. Trash with money basically.