Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Modal Auxiliary posted:

much worse visibility (tiny windshields and massive pillars), overengineered electronics (please stop putting touch screens in cars), tons of proprietary parts that make personal maintenance way harder than it has to be (and also makes repairs way more expensive than they need to be), and they all for some reason come equipped with headlights that are so goddamn bright they leave a smoldering impression of my loving corneas on my headrest.

They also just keep getting bigger and more unwieldy, which probably accounts for the upticks in pedestrian deaths over the last decade or two.

Great how none of this seems at all safer even though you keep hearing about how the new cars are so much safer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SimonSays posted:

Great how none of this seems at all safer even though you keep hearing about how the new cars are so much safer

Safer for the occupants. But that comes with, shall we say, trade-offs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In my life I have owned vehicles generally in the same price range from model years '88, 98, 06, and '14 and in no case would I say the older cars were better.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

(please stop putting touch screens in cars)
From your lips to God's ears. Only one control on my car is physical, and thank heaven it's the volume roller, which is nubbed.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

SimonSays posted:

They're way safer for everyone inside the car.

Efb

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Modal Auxiliary posted:

They're way safer for everyone inside the car.

Efb

drat, sucks for all the rest of society, oh well

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I love my 2008 Saab a ton. It was my dream car (a Turbo X).

I drive my wife's 2018 Honda more and more and more. I'd happily sell the Saab right now. I'm looking at a Genesis to replace it.

10 years of car development is a gigantic difference.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Adaptive cruise control is the tits and you all are rapidly approaching“sour grapes”. Stuff like backup cameras and blind spot monitoring being required are great as well though I’m sure people will bitch about the cost.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'd be happy to replace my newfangled switch-operated parking brake with an old-fashioned lever, and I miss having direct control of the heater temperature. Other than that, my new(-ish) car is great.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Warbird posted:

Adaptive cruise control is the tits and you all are rapidly approaching“sour grapes”. Stuff like backup cameras and blind spot monitoring being required are great as well though I’m sure people will bitch about the cost.

Unimaginable to the new car owners, but my car has big windows in the back so I don’t need a camera to avoid flattening my own child while backing up in the driveway

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Which one of you goons who inexplicably think cars from decades ago are better is driving around Austin in a freakin' Yugo with a custom license plate that says "Commie"?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Horace posted:

Unimaginable to the new car owners, but my car has big windows in the back so I don’t need a camera to avoid flattening my own child while backing up in the driveway

people ran over their children while backing all the time before the glass started shrinking, while it's certainly more important now, it was absolutely a problem before cameras and LCD screens got cheap

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

zoux posted:

In my life I have owned vehicles generally in the same price range from model years '88, 98, 06, and '14 and in no case would I say the older cars were better.

https://twitter.com/slvppy/status/1501280254492508161

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Warbird posted:

My grapes would be a lot less sour if all these new safety features weren't a direct response to the actual issue of people refusing to put down their goddamn phones for forty seconds.

Earlier today it was nice to catch a glimpse of a blind spot danger indicator in some lady's side mirror as she nearly merged into me, and yet I can't help but feel as though the feature would have been made somewhat redundant had she simply taken out her headphones and stopped FaceTiming before attempting to merge.

Actually as I type this I'm realizing that my sour grapes have already done a full circuit past wine and I'm right back to lovely fruit territory.

Don't txeet that I'm angry though, I'm not angry.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

`Nemesis posted:

people ran over their children while backing all the time before the glass started shrinking, while it's certainly more important now, it was absolutely a problem before cameras and LCD screens got cheap

If they weren’t looking out of the window to avoid their child why would they look at an LCD screen?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Powered Descent posted:

I'd be happy to replace my newfangled switch-operated parking brake with an old-fashioned lever, and I miss having direct control of the heater temperature. Other than that, my new(-ish) car is great.
My new car has the worst possible parking brake. It is a plastic lever marked "P". It has no physical feedback. It turns out that if you pull it up, the parking brake goes on, if you push it down it goes off. There is no indication on the dashboard that the parking brake is set.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Horace posted:

If they weren’t looking out of the window to avoid their child why would they look at an LCD screen?

it's possible to look and make a mistake, and having an ultra good view behind you may help prevent mistakes!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Horace posted:

It's easier to look forward than to crane around and look back. The camera gives you a larger FOV, especially below the sight line of the window opening and the rear of the car. You know, where a short kid might be.

I get that you like what you like, but you're also being deliberately obtuse.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I just hate the thick pillars. There's other visibility stuff that is annoying but it's the pillars I despise. The car I own and every other car I've rented and drove has me juking, bobbing, and weaving my head side to side like a boxer to look around the pillar.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
My current car has a backup camera and it is legit one of the best improvements for a car i've experienced. between reversing out of spots in a parking lot and being able to see approaching cars in the lane far before you can by trying to gawk around, or parallel parking in a tight spot without the risk of playing bumper cars, it's absolutely great.

Throw in emergency brake assist (helped save me a lot of grief when someone ran a stop sign in front of me last week), using the radar from the adaptive cruise control to apply brakes in an emergency, and the hybrid drive - hands down the best car i've ever owned and it's not even close. It's a 2017 model, but i drove a bunch of rentals last year and the only one i actively disliked was a 2021 Jeep Cherokee cause it was the only one that required you to use the touch screen for some basic audio or climate control tasks, and the visibility sucked. The rest all had physical buttons and were generally fine at worst.

Lobok posted:

I just hate the thick pillars. There's other visibility stuff that is annoying but it's the pillars I despise. The car I own and every other car I've rented and drove has me juking, bobbing, and weaving my head side to side like a boxer to look around the pillar.

yeah that's so if you roll the vehicle or are in an offset frontal collision at speed you are not crushed to death like people would be in older cars.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The thick pillars exist because in the thin pillar days the windshield was load bearing and the safety rating of the vehicle for its occupants depended on the windshield not having cracks in it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Any attempts at technological safety improvements are dumb and doomed. The level of tech when I learned to do X is exactly right. People should pay more attention instead.

:downs:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CommonShore posted:

The thick pillars exist because in the thin pillar days the windshield was load bearing and the safety rating of the vehicle for its occupants depended on the windshield not having cracks in it.

Reasons don't quell my rage

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Lobok posted:

Reasons don't quell my rage

major boomer yells at clouds energy here

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

`Nemesis posted:

major boomer yells at clouds energy here

I was raised by a couple so probably yeah, some Boomer ooze leaked down into the sewer of my mind.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Lobok posted:

I was raised by a couple so probably yeah, some Boomer ooze leaked down into the sewer of my mind.

same on all counts honestly

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AetiusRF/status/1689377716007534593

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

oh no

anyways

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
There was a period circa 2010ish where the window situation got absolutely dire and every time I had to drive a rental car it felt like I was peering out of the louvers of a tank, but modern cars are... fine. I understand why driving a shitbox with a shell made of 50% glass and 50% aluminum foil was less than ideal from a crash safety perspective but drat it was fun :(

I recently traded up for a 2018 Mazda and I think I hit the sweet spot as far as modern features go, I like the backup camera and it is nice having blind spot indicators as a preliminary "nah" but it won't gently caress with the steering or speed by itself. Realistically I think I like driving it better than my old Cav but I'm still nostalgic for that little car.

The absolute worst car I've ever driven was a Ford... Edge? One of their smaller SUVS. It feels like every aspect of it is designed to make it feel as large as possible, up to and including making the hood flare up and outwards to block more of your view, and having a giant steering wheel with the cruise controls so far away from the rim that you can't set or adjust it without taking your hand off the wheel (which also means taking your eyes off the road because you can't just feel your way along the wheel.) It also manages to have remarkably little usable interior space for its footprint, which was cool since we had specifically rented it to haul stuff that wouldn't fit in the Mazda.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 02:15 on Aug 11, 2023

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

New cars are great because you don’t die the first time you gently caress up.

Old cars are great because you can see your mistake coming to roost.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I think I’m the target demographic for the touchscreens because I just set the climate stuff to my desired temperature on auto when I get in the car and operate the volume/next track/previous track from the steering wheel.

I think back to my folks’ ‘90 Fort Taurus wagon that had this tape deck in it, and do wonder a bit if the other extreme was really much safer:

Though the warning label on the cup holders was hilarious:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Real life, I am very cautious about transporting anything heavy/hard in the cab of my car. I've seen enough in-cab videos of rollover accidents to always put a handle of liquor or whatever in the trunk. I think a neoprene water bottle is fine in the cupholder though.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I have never owned a car and probably never will :smug:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Kenning posted:

I've seen enough in-cab videos of rollover accidents to always put a handle of liquor or whatever in the trunk.

gently caress yeah, if you're gonna get stuck suspended upside down by your seat belt may as well do some shots

e: wait

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

bawk posted:

gently caress yeah, if you're gonna get stuck suspended upside down by your seat belt may as well do some shots

No officer, I swear, I started drinking after the crash.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

1stGear posted:

No officer, I swear, I started drinking after the crash.

That was a literal plot line on The Practice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cars should be a deathtrap for the occupants because they're a deathtrap for everyone else. If you aren't prepared to die driving you shouldn't be doing it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

OwlFancier posted:

Cars should be a deathtrap for the occupants because they're a deathtrap for everyone else. If you aren't prepared to die driving you shouldn't be doing it.

Just like political office.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

bawk posted:

someone combine LMFAO with the Ghanian pall bearers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

(please stop putting touch screens in cars)
Also everywhere else. And every other form of touch switch while we're at it. You know what's great? Buttons and switches that you can feel and that actually move when you press them so you can tell that you've done it, and that actually work close to 100% of the time. You should be able to operate almost any device you're familiar with without looking at it.

Blue Moonlight posted:

I think I’m the target demographic for the touchscreens because I just set the climate stuff to my desired temperature on auto when I get in the car and operate the volume/next track/previous track from the steering wheel.
Theoretically touchscreens in cars shouldn't be a problem because you shouldn't be using the controls while driving anyway. If a song comes on that you don't like, and you don't have a passenger to do something about it, you put up with it.

But given that people absolutely will use those controls while driving, even if they're touch controls that you can't possibly operate by feel, obviously they should be quick and easy to use without looking so drivers are distracted for the least possible amount of time. Or they should just stop working while the car's in motion so you have to pull over to make any changes - but that's not going to happen.