Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I like the smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Texmo posted:

I grew up with a feijoa tree hanging over from the neighbours fence, and yeah they're a very mid fruit.

It's 2023, you can't say that.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

gently caress all y'all feijoa haters. They are the best.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I like feijoa flavour but I've never had like, a whole rear end feijoa. What's their deal, do you eat them like an apple or is it a horrible pomegranate situation?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
you cut four of them in half and eat them with a spoon

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Or, if you are a kid, you rip 40 of them apart and claw the flesh out with your teeth, and then puke everywhere after dinner.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

you make jam for the rest of the year with them OP

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I eat them with the skin. They're a good fruit.

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~

bike tory posted:

I eat them with the skin. They're a good fruit.

:hai:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/election-2023/494590/national-claims-labour-s-tax-policy-will-remove-gst-on-fruit-and-vegetables

I've heard that these rumours from a couple of weeks ago are apparently true, Labour's tax policy is GST off fruit and veg. Robertson and Parker wanted a wealth tax and this is what Hipkins is doing instead.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

at this point I think it's fine if labour lose big time, maybe next round they'll be less chickenshit

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

at this point I think it's fine if labour lose big time, maybe next round they'll be less chickenshit

Never happened before but there's a first time for everything

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Progressive JPEG posted:

gently caress off. GST off fruit and veg would be a marked improvement for the lives of many people.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Labour putting forward good policy as they work in coalition with a progressive left wing party? Well they're catering to the center so we'd better get Seymour in to really stick it to them.

You're deluded.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You are getting thrown some tiny scraps you fool

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Wtf you can't live off fruit and veg alone and lol if you don't think the difference won't just go straight into the supermarkets pockets.

We need to take our money back from the rich, this bullshit is basically giving the rich more money we could be using.

Besides, it's a lovely way of trying to achieve what they want - what if you don't like fruits and veg? What if you don't have time to take all those fruits a veg and make a nice meal every day? Why not take gst off all food without this moralistic paternalistic bullshit about the "right" way to eat and the "good" food you should be eating.

klen dool fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 10, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

$700 rent
$200 petrol
$20 fresh fruit and veg but it used to be $24 so I'm winning, thanks labour

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I get it though, now when I say 'labour are worthless and have done nothing' you can be all like akshully they made apples several cents cheaper!!!

So it was all worth it in the end

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Ignoring whether GST off fruit + vege is a good policy, announcing the thing National already leaked is a sure fire way to make a lot of commentary about it being leaked rather than the policy itself.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Beartaco posted:

gently caress off. GST off fruit and veg would be a marked improvement for the lives of many people.
It would be more expensive and have less of an effect than just lowering GST across the board.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

klen dool posted:

Wtf you can't live off fruit and veg alone

Besides, it's a lovely way of trying to achieve what they want - what if you don't like fruits and veg? What if you don't have time to take all those fruits a veg and make a nice meal every day? Why not take gst off all food without this moralistic paternalistic bullshit about the "right" way to eat and the "good" food you should be eating.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Feijoas don't even have GST when you buy a sack of em from some dude standing on the side of the road.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Who's paying for feijoas? They turn up en masse in the work break room and you just help yourself?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i will give feijoas this - they are the least capitalist of all fruit. probably because most everyone correctly recognises they have no monetary value.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Remember when labour pit in a fuel subsidy and it didn't immediately get eaten by the petrol companies?
Wait, poo poo.

Ok, how about rent subsidies that don't immediately cause landlords to raise rent by the same amount?
No?

Ok, we'll take gst of veggies. This time surely the capitalists won't take advantage of it to make more profit, improving nothing for everyday people.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

i will give feijoas this - they are the least capitalist of all fruit. probably because most everyone correctly recognises they have no monetary value.

Just a common weed people have tricked themselves into eating

carrionman posted:

Remember when labour pit in a fuel subsidy and it didn't immediately get eaten by the petrol companies?
Wait, poo poo.

Ok, how about rent subsidies that don't immediately cause landlords to raise rent by the same amount?
No?

Ok, we'll take gst of veggies. This time surely the capitalists won't take advantage of it to make more profit, improving nothing for everyday people.

Controlled opposition

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

NatAct are going to walk it anyway. The question is just whether Eggman has big plans or is actually as empty headed as presented.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's an avatar of capital and is basically a thoughtless automaton as an individual imo, idk where that puts us in terms of things happening/not happening though

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

roads ++
tax on rich ---
social services --
climate change +++
abortion -

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

carrionman posted:

Um, yes? Petrol dropped from like $3 to $2.30ish when the subsidy came in and went up again when it ended. Maybe the petroleum companies kept some of it too idk but I definitely saved an appreciable amount of money because of it

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Supermarket companies have already gone into expectation management saying they will have to keep about 30% of the difference.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
have to keep why? why would they even say that when they could do it without having to conjure up a justification?

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Um, yes? Petrol dropped from like $3 to $2.30ish when the subsidy came in and went up again when it ended. Maybe the petroleum companies kept some of it too idk but I definitely saved an appreciable amount of money because of it

Huh, I could have sworn there was some controversy over the 25c coming in, followed by a 10c price rise the next day. I'd be happy to be wrong though.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

have to keep why? why would they even say that when they could do it without having to conjure up a justification?

Without even looking I'm going to say it's because of "administration costs" or something.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

to answer the first, because this policy represents a very real dollar cost in initial setup costs to any POS, an ongoing cost in accountancy, and future legal disagreements over what exactly is a fruit and or vegetable.
i guess that kind of answers the second in terms of why they might publicly undermine a policy that will be a burden to them.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
GST is a regressive tax anyway, shouldn't exist at all. Get rid of all the means testing and regressive taxes and just tax corporate profits and capital gains, and have price controls on staple foods and rent. Easy peasy, will never happen in a million years and we're going to decend into climate fascism, hooray.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

GST is a regressive tax anyway

this is a feature, not a bug

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

retail stores wouldn't raise margins to return to the established price point...!

the price is purely reflective of their costs...!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I bet you also believe the landlord lobby when they say that health requirements raise rents, and not what the market will bear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

GST is a regressive tax anyway, shouldn't exist at all. Get rid of all the means testing and regressive taxes and just tax corporate profits and capital gains, and have price controls on staple foods and rent. Easy peasy, will never happen in a million years and we're going to decend into climate fascism, hooray.