Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08
Accidental explosions at explosive factories during wartime production were historically fairly common. Frequently these things are blamed on saboteurs but are really just incompetence in the rushed handling hazardous materials. I would not jump to conclusions that this one is any different than what happened during the world wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

saratoga posted:

Accidental explosions at explosive factories during wartime production were historically fairly common. Frequently these things are blamed on saboteurs but are really just incompetence in the rushed handling hazardous materials. I would not jump to conclusions that this one is any different than what happened during the world wars.

Yeah. I mean, an ammunition factory is totally a legitimate target during war, and if this was Ukraine's doing I'm certainly not going to hold it against them, but in this case it might really be an honest to god smoking accident.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Bremen posted:

Yeah. I mean, an ammunition factory is totally a legitimate target during war, and if this was Ukraine's doing I'm certainly not going to hold it against them, but in this case it might really be an honest to god smoking accident.

The boy who cried smoking accident.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Keep clutching those pearls buddy.

Hey now, I'm sure he's just someone who thinks that war is very bad and should be ended as quickly as possible by an imposed peace that favors Russia because Ukraine is a Nazi state and NATO puppet.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
The insider is reporting this (Google translated)

https://theins.ru/news/264126

At the factory in Sergiev Posad, where the explosion occurred, a component was developed for a new generation bomber — "Agentstvo"
9 August 2023 17:55

At the Zagorsk optical-mechanical plant in Sergiev Posad, where the explosion was heard on the morning of August 9, components for the new Russian bomber were being developed, reports «Agentstvo».

On the state procurement site, there are several contracts of this enterprise with power structures for the supply of optics — binoculars and dosimeters. Among other things, one of the contracts assumed "fulfilment of the component part of the experimental design work under the code: "Poslannik-1ОЕП/Л"". The cost of the work is 69 million rubles.

«Посланник», и же Проспективный авиационный комплекс дальней авиации, — this project of a new Russian strategic bomber-missile carrier. It is developed from scratch and is not a development of already existing models of strategic bombers. "Посланника" has been under development since 2009, and it is planned to start its operation in 2027. This period is specified in the contract execution period.

It is assumed that in the future it will replace the Tu-95, and also take over some functions of the Tu-160 and Tu-22M3. Ту-22 и Ту-95 are used by Russia to launch rockets for shelling the territory of Ukraine.

Governor of the Moscow Region Andrey Vorobyev claimed that the plant in Sergiev Posade had no relation to the defense complex.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Whether it was a munitions factory or a firework factory, that is also the kind of place that blows up on its very own sometimes even at peace.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Not for nothing but if the immediate surroundings of the factory that experienced an unfortunate explosion is strewn with unfilled artillery shells, I'm not so sure the factory should be called a "pyrotechnics" factory.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it might not have been a pyrotechnics factory this morning but it was one by the afternoon

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

spankmeister posted:

Not for nothing but if the immediate surroundings of the factory that experienced an unfortunate explosion is strewn with unfilled artillery shells, I'm not so sure the factory should be called a "pyrotechnics" factory.

That implies that the regional governor lied!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Any word on the Russian advance near Kupyansk? It seems like Ukraine refocused any initiative away from the Kupyansk-Svatove axis and the Luhansk-Kharkiv theater in general and now find themselves on the back foot there.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Vox Nihili posted:

Any word on the Russian advance near Kupyansk? It seems like Ukraine refocused any initiative away from the Kupyansk-Svatove axis and the Luhansk-Kharkiv theater in general and now find themselves on the back foot there.

Neglible movement for weeks.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Related to discussion of funding and PDAs, this is what the DOD had yesterday on the topic:

Short version: The president still has authority to give $6 billion worth of PDA assistance to Ukraine remaining to give additional drawdowns to Ukraine this year. Congress granted the president the authority to drawdown up to $14.5 billion for FY23 in support of Ukraine. The amount that the president can draw down varies by country/situation, so this is specifically for Ukraine, not out of a total allocation for all PDA assistance.

quote:

Q: And can you give us an update, like, has the Pentagon run through all of the PDA and USAI funds for this year? Are you all essentially out of money now?

MS. SINGH: So in terms of any requests for a supplemental, I'm just not going to get ahead of any conversations that we're having right now.

In terms of PDA funds, we're not out of money. We still have the money that we have from the reevaluation that we did earlier this year. So you'll remember that was approximately $6 billion. So we still do have that to spend down, in terms of PDA, and we're going to continue to do that.

Again, that is still a substantial amount and we feel confident that we can continue to supply Ukraine with what it needs on the battlefield, but I'm just not going to get ahead of anything in terms of any supplemental or any additional requests to Congress.

Q: So that's all that's left for this year, is just the excess $6 billion?

MS. SINGH: For the PDA, yes.

Q: For the PDA ...

MS. SINGH: Yeah, that's right.

Q: ... USAI?

MS. SINGH: I would have to check that one. I just don't know that number off the top of my head right now.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/3487559/sabrina-singh-deputy-pentagon-press-secretary-holds-a-press-briefing/

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Moon Slayer posted:

Hey now, I'm sure he's just someone who thinks that war is very bad and should be ended as quickly as possible by an imposed peace that favors Russia because Ukraine is a Nazi state and NATO puppet.

Don't be so mean to the guy I put on my ignore list during the spring of last year.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

saratoga posted:

Frequently these things are blamed on saboteurs but are really just incompetence in the rushed handling hazardous materials.

Just something very basic like selecting shipping containers for moving explosives is fairly time intensive. There are structural serviceability requirements and they matter a great deal. Basically they have to be brand new or nearly new. Over the years I’ve found 0-2 year cans have a 1/3 pass rate. With older containers 5-10+ one might go through hundreds of cans (and I have) before finding a good one.

That’s one very basic thing just selecting a container for the transportation. There are many many things one needs to worry about for storage and in transport. My own experience is on vessels. I know exactly how many folks are out on ships in the middle of the night, making sure the folks/regulatory bodies nominally watching don’t miss real issues.

It’s not many. I know what things I’ve stopped.

On the warehouse side there tends to be much much less knowledge than on the vessel side. All it takes is one thing not being done right.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Kaal posted:

Levada does good work, but I don't think their surveys mean much of anything anymore. People can't be polled if they have a realistic fear that their answer will land them in prison. Russian public opinion has basically been the same thing for decades: "Just leave us alone". For all of Putin's effort to create a patriotic culture, I don't think he's succeeded at all. Certainly there are hardly any left who would willingly march on Ukraine at this point - and that includes their army which is well-known to have massive morale issues.

Even in the West some are calling this an existential fight for Russia, being that depending on how or if they lose it could lead to the further break up of Russia or worse. We are also seeing that said more from Russian media and Putin, though how they balance that between it only being a Special Military Operation requires special Russian logic I guess.

I would also guess that a good percentage of Russians know or see this and do no want to see their country humiliated in losing a war, especially to what was preserved to be as a weaker and smaller neighbor. There are a multitude of consequences for your average Russian if their country comes out on the losing side of this, the worst probably being a civil war and all the misery that goes along with it. For all the mistakes Putin has made going into this war, binding Russia and its peoples fate to it probably is his strongest play.

I am sure there is also a good percentage that just want to war to stop and life to go back to normal, but that is probably as likely as Russian marching through Kiev by next month.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dick Ripple posted:

Even in the West some are calling this an existential fight for Russia, being that depending on how or if they lose it could lead to the further break up of Russia or worse. We are also seeing that said more from Russian media and Putin, though how they balance that between it only being a Special Military Operation requires special Russian logic I guess.

The good take that I've seen that it is an existential war for Ukrainian state and people but not necessarily for a segment of Ukrainian elite (who may operate and do business under anything) and at the same time it is not existential for Russian state and people but certainly is for Russian leadership and a part of security apparatus who have invested too much in imperial expansion and recognition of pure power.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Dick Ripple posted:

Even in the West some are calling this an existential fight for Russia, being that depending on how or if they lose it could lead to the further break up of Russia or worse.

That's more wishful thinking than anything.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Dick Ripple posted:

I would also guess that a good percentage of Russians know or see this and do no want to see their country humiliated in losing a war, especially to what was preserved to be as a weaker and smaller neighbor. There are a multitude of consequences for your average Russian if their country comes out on the losing side of this, the worst probably being a civil war and all the misery that goes along with it. For all the mistakes Putin has made going into this war, binding Russia and its peoples fate to it probably is his strongest play.

I am sure there is also a good percentage that just want to war to stop and life to go back to normal, but that is probably as likely as Russian marching through Kiev by next month.

No doubt a sizeable percentage of the Russian population actually believes the whole "Ukrainians are all homonazis" narratives the state run media feeds them 24/7. Just look at how Americans ate up the lies about Iraq and WMDS or links to Al Quaeda during the run up to the Iraq war from our mainstream media. And in Russia they only have a turbocharged version of our worst media and literally nothing else.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

seems a little much to put the Iraq war on the media. 9/11 put this country into hyper revengeance mode. I remember tons of dissent on the news networks. it also seems presumptuous to make claims about what the majority of Russians really believe because as others pointed out saying the wrong thing out loud puts you in forced labor for 10+ years. propaganda rarely work on its own I guess, not without some form of state terror

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think they've toned it down, but earlier in the war Solovyov's black-and-red newsroom segments with the camera panning around the guests and multiple cut-in screens of jets and cruise missiles were an incredible caricature of Iraq-era Fox News, if it was fiction I would have thought they took the satire too far

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

The Ukrainians have issued an evacuation notice around Kupiansk.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ukraine-situation-report-kharkiv-oblast-city-planning-evacuation-as-russians-approach

But what struck me is that they are thinking of organizing school for the people who stay:

quote:

In addition to drawing up evacuation plans, officials in Kupiansk are working on a way to keep education programs going for those who choose to stay. That includes a mixture of remote and in-person learning.

“Shelters in all educational institutions of the Kharkiv region that plan to conduct classes offline will be checked for compliance with safety requirements,” said Synegubov.

“Preschool, school, professional pre-higher and higher education institutions should promptly inform law enforcement agencies and the State Emergency Service authorities about their decisions regarding mixed or face-to-face education because all ready-made shelters must pass an inspection,” said Synegubov. “Currently, 11 institutions of general secondary education in the Kharkiv region are planning to start the educational process using a mixed form of education. But this will be possible only if the shelters meet the safety requirements. The same applies to 18 preschool institutions and five institutions of higher education, which plan to work in a mixed format.”

A war is just a weird absurd place to be.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

WarpedLichen posted:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ukraine-situation-report-kharkiv-oblast-city-planning-evacuation-as-russians-approach

But what struck me is that they are thinking of organizing school for the people who stay:

This is just the saddest poo poo ever. Thinking of my 3-year old stuck in a warzone is a nightmare. Preschool...

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

ethanol posted:

seems a little much to put the Iraq war on the media. 9/11 put this country into hyper revengeance mode. I remember tons of dissent on the news networks. it also seems presumptuous to make claims about what the majority of Russians really believe because as others pointed out saying the wrong thing out loud puts you in forced labor for 10+ years. propaganda rarely work on its own I guess, not without some form of state terror

a significant segment of the media certainly didn't help. i think the broader takeaway for both conflicts (and plenty more before) is that mass sentiment about people and events far far away from them are abstracted and quite malleable, and that elites with the ability to mold them have limited qualms about propagating views that are, in hindsight, considered reprehensible by most, even those that espoused or agreed with them at the time

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

a significant segment of the media certainly didn't help. i think the broader takeaway for both conflicts (and plenty more before) is that mass sentiment about people and events far far away from them are abstracted and quite malleable, and that elites with the ability to mold them have limited qualms about propagating views that are, in hindsight, considered reprehensible by most, even those that espoused or agreed with them at the time

Yeah Americans should not point and laugh at other countries' propaganda given just how absurd post-9/11 US TV was. As an outsider looking it, it was scary AF.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

WarpedLichen posted:

poo poo, so it has been occupied by russians till September 2022, then liberated by Ukraine, then evacuated in March 2023, and now it's being evacuated again. Jesus.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

WarpedLichen posted:

Something similarly weird showed up in our media recently: Apparently Ukraine finally decided to open the border to Russia in Belgorod again, to let Ukrainians in that were displaced by the fighting when Russia bulldozed through their towns and villages (or who were forcefully "evacuated" by them into the wrong direction).

Now that the border is open again, Ukrainian refugees who were stuck in Russia are coming back home. In the middle of the war. What a weird event.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Flavahbeast posted:

I think they've toned it down, but earlier in the war Solovyov's black-and-red newsroom segments with the camera panning around the guests and multiple cut-in screens of jets and cruise missiles were an incredible caricature of Iraq-era Fox News, if it was fiction I would have thought they took the satire too far

quote:

When he meets George W. Bush the first time, Bush says he looks in his eyes and sees Putin’s soul. We think maybe there was great hope in Putin, that he would have a relationship and America would show respect to Putin and Russia. Is that right?

I wasn’t there when they looked each other in the eye. I don’t know what happened between them. I don’t know. But then Putin was most likely sincere in his desire for new relations with America, for friendship with America after 9/11. Putin sincerely admired Bush. I can tell you that quite definitely. He looked up to Bush Jr. as I was looking up to Putin, in admiration. This was a role model for him, the model of a president who took the challenge and was starting a big war in the world arena. Putin liked that, and he was prepared to be an ally.

Bush did not really need allies very much, especially allies of Russia. And Putin wanted to be an ally. So that caused trouble. Putin was hurt that he was not understood by Bush, and that became worse after Ukraine. "Ukraine is more precious to you than Russia?! I was prepared to do anything. I was prepared to join NATO, and you are intriguing with Ukraine?!" That’s, I think, how Putin looked at it. And after that, he lost interest in Bush.

There were some other real problems there. Bush did not fully control his secret services, or he did not think he needed to fully control that, so in the Caucasus, American intelligence services had been sometimes helping Chechens. Putin certainly thought that this came as Bush’s order, and that Bush was a hypocrite. Those kinds of things happened. But in the beginning, Putin wanted to have an alliance with the West. He wanted an alliance.

The story I love about that meeting, of course, is the story of Putin’s cross, left over from the fire in the dacha, the family fire. Had you heard that story before? Did you know that he planned that story and to tell Bush about it, because he knew Bush was an evangelical Christian?

I knew that story, and I think this was not the first time that he told that story.

I know at least two more people that he told it to before Bush. This was always told out of a desire to make an impression. I think that story was true. He did not make it up. But as any good popular actor, Putin quickly realized that it impresses people, and he used it. He had another trick, when he would take a person to his room in a "chapel," where he had icons. This seemed like an act of trust and confidence.

One politician asked me why he did it, why he did it at all. He was not a religious person, and he was not so impressed. He said: “Why did Putin take me to his private room? Why did he show me that icon and that cross?” This must have been a way to establish emotional links and emotional relations.

And it did. It worked.

It did work. It did work. In most situations, it does. He doesn’t do it very frequently. If he told everyone about the cross, then people would make fun of him.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/interview/gleb-pavlovsky/

quote:

The next megaterror attacks by Osama bin Laden and Shamil Basayev gave the authorities of this world the "right" to counter atrocities. President Bush turned the "war on terrorism" into a global one. He started two wars, did not win a single one and ended up supporting "color revolutions", none of which gave a democratic nation. But to his apprentice - the novice president of Russia - Bush Jr. taught a lesson in unilateral politics, extorting a deal on your own terms. The price of the Bushist military actions in Iraq and Afghanistan was the transfer of the waypoint of the development of the Russian Federation. Before Bush, it would never have occurred to Putin that international lists of villainous countries could be drawn up by personal decree, including either Georgia or Ukraine.

The student went further than the teacher. An isolated weak Russia demands for itself the role of a guarantor of global security and dictates conditions to the world, rejecting obligations for itself.

President Medvedev proposed to the West to create with Russia a "single Euro-Atlantic security space" from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific. President Saakashvili tested his peacefulness with the war in South Ossetia, and our Euro-Atlanticism evaporated. Another era has come - our military neozoic.

Now the “enemy” is placed in front of the authorities. He disguises himself as an internal enemy, in fact he is an Alien - an "alien", a foreign agent or a non-human pervert. The excesses of terrorizing the population are recognized as legal: the authorities are not afraid of dehumanizing personnel. She welcomes their sadistic fantasies, finding them useful. There is an expansion of torture, secret murders and private violence in the zone of deliberate criminalization.

The system is steeped in equating everything inconvenient with "terrorism" and "extremism." In the ebullient zone of the "war on terror" evidence is not needed - the presumption of enmity sweeps aside the legal rules of political struggle. The war is being waged inside, war inside . Russian politics is related to the atmosphere of war and does not want to abandon it.

https://republic.ru/posts/101939

quote:

In what sense were these ideas shaped by the collapse of the Soviet Union?

Putin belongs to a very extensive, but politically opaque, unrepresented, unseen layer of people, who after the end of the 1980s were looking for revanche in the context of the fall of the Soviet Union. I was also one of them. My friends and I were people who couldn’t accept what had happened: who said we can’t let it continue to happen. There were hundreds, thousands of people like that in the elite, who were not communists—I, for example, was never a member of the Communist Party. They were people who just didn’t like how things had been done in 1991. This group consisted of very disparate people, with very different ideas of freedom. Putin was one of those who were passively waiting for the moment for revanche up till the end of the 90s. By revanche, I mean the resurrection of the great state in which we had lived, and to which we had become accustomed. We didn’t want another totalitarian state, of course, but we did want one that could be respected. The state of the 1990s was impossible to respect. You could think well of Yeltsin, feel sorry for him. But for me, it was important to see Yeltsin in a different light: on the one hand, it was necessary to protect him from punishment; on the other, Yeltsin was important as the last hope for the state, because it was clear that if the governors came to power they would agree another Belovezhsky Accord, after which Russia would no longer exist.

Putin is a Soviet person who did not draw lessons from the collapse of Russia. That is to say, he did learn lessons, but very pragmatic ones. He understood the coming of capitalism in a Soviet way. We were all taught that capitalism is a kingdom of demagogues, behind whom stands big money, and behind that, a military machine which aspires to control the whole world. It’s a very clear, simple picture which I think Putin had in his head—not as an official ideology, but as a form of common sense. His thinking was that in the Soviet Union, we were idiots; we had tried to build a fair society when we should have been making money. If we had made more money than the western capitalists, we could have just bought them up, or we could have created a weapon which they didn’t have. That’s all there is to it. It was a game and we lost, because we didn’t do several simple things: we didn’t create our own class of capitalists, we didn’t give the capitalist predators on our side a chance to develop and devour the capitalist predators on theirs.

To what extent are these ideas still the bedrock of Putin’s political sensibility, and of the Russia he has brought into being?

I don’t think Putin’s thinking has changed significantly since then. He sees them as common sense. That’s why he feels comfortable and assured in his position; he’s not afraid of arguing his corner. He thinks: look at those people in the West, here’s what they say, and here’s what they do in reality. There is a wonderful system with two parties, one passes power to the other, and behind them stands one and the same thing: capital. Now it’s one fraction of capital, now another. And with this money they’ve bought up all the intelligentsia and they organize whatever politics they need. Let’s do the same! Putin is a Soviet person who set himself the task of revanche, not in a stupid, military sense, but in a historical sense. He set it for himself in Soviet language, in the language of geopolitics, that of a harsh pragmatism that was close to cynicism, but was not ultimately cynical. Putin is not a cynic. He thinks that man is a sinful being, that it is pointless to try to improve him. He believes the Bolsheviks who tried to create fair, right-thinking people were simply idiots, and we should not have done that. We wasted a lot of money and energy on it, and at the same time tried to free other nations. Why do that? We don’t need to.

Putin’s model is completely different from that of Zyuganov, the head of the rump Communist Party of the Russian Federation. Putin’s idea is that we should be bigger and better capitalists than the capitalists, and be more consolidated as a state: there should be maximum oneness of state and business.

https://newleftreview.org/issues/ii88/articles/gleb-pavlovsky-putin-s-world-outlook

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
So if Bush Jr. was Mr. Incredible, Putin is...Syndrome?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ynglaur posted:

So if Bush Jr. was Mr. Incredible, Putin is...Syndrome?

Putin wants Russia to be the America liberals say American conservatives want America to be.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

This is a Gish gallop of nonsense that's not even wrong. How the gently caress is Russia (a plutocracy \ petrocracy \ kleptocracy) a capitalist state? How the is the state raising "bigger and better capitalists" when the state constantly "nationalizes" private enterprises any throws the owners in jail, while state-sponsored businesses are intended solely to legitimize stealing from the budget? How the gently caress are the people who destroyed the Soviet Union for the express purpose of installing their kleptocracy shocked and saddened by its demise?

Putin needed Bush to teach him about declaring internal dissidents enemies of the people, because that's not something he learned in the Soviet Union.

Etc etc.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Xander77 posted:

How the gently caress is Russia (a plutocracy \ petrocracy \ kleptocracy) a capitalist state?

Tautologically

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...ritical%20stage

quote:

President Volodymyr Zelenskiy broadened his battle against graft on Friday, firing all the heads of Ukraine's regional army recruitment centres as the war with Russia enters a critical stage.

I think Zelensky said he would crack down on corruption in recruitment in his speech yesterday but firing everybody seems pretty drastic. I imagine public faith is absolutely critical given the slow movement on the front. Wonder how this will affect the short term replenishment of the Ukrainian military.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ukrain...share_permalink

WSJ also has an insightful write up on how Ukrainians are advancing using small unit tactics. I think this is really what I think about when I think "death of the tank." In that it is a useful piece of equipment but its niche becomes more smaller as it is no longer the centerpiece of the offense.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001

-randbrick, 12/26/08

WarpedLichen posted:

WSJ also has an insightful write up on how Ukrainians are advancing using small unit tactics. I think this is really what I think about when I think "death of the tank." In that it is a useful piece of equipment but its niche becomes more smaller as it is no longer the centerpiece of the offense.

I think this is the wrong way to interpret what is happening. Historically, unprepared armies tend to stumble into attritional deadlock because it is the default outcome when neither side is able to gain the advantage. This was true 100 years ago on the western front, 40 years ago in the Iran-Iraq war, and it is clearly true now where the Russians were deeply unprepared for the war they started. Eventually armies either figure out how to do maneuver warfare again or they exhaust themselves and collapse. In that sense, what we are seeing here is not new or even unusual, and so I don't think going back to 100 years to storm tactics is the future. Rather WW1 storm tactics and attritional nightmare we are seeing are the worst case outcome when no one is prepared to do better.

The lesion I would draw is that it is important to not just have a bunch of tanks that you roll out once a year for a victory day parade, but also a core of professional soldiers that regularly train to coordinate with air, electronic warfare, armor, artillery, etc so that you don't have to relearn how to do that in the middle of a war. The goal shouldn't be to get really good at digging trenches and stopping machine gun bullets with bodies, but to be able to coordinate well enough that you don't get stuck in a trench in the first place.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

WarpedLichen posted:

Tanks are not effective in this particular environment under these particular circumstances. Air power is also not all that effective under these circumstances and is mostly used as missile trucks launching at a safe distance. One could argue that the Russian Black Sea navy is becoming more of a liability than an asset. It obviously does not apply generally across all conflicts and armies.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I think that the thing to remember is that tanks are not wonder weapons, and they aren't really meant to simply drive into the heart of a well-prepared defense. The western "experts" who seem to be criticizing Ukrainians for not doing enough of that are frankly naive. If the US was conducting a tank offensive, they certainly wouldn't order 1st Armored to simply roll through kilometer deep minefields that the Russians spent the better part of a year laying. There'd be extensive aerial and naval shaping operations just like in Desert Shield that would flatten every part of the peninsula, the battlefield would be extended beyond the 500 kilometers or so of actively-defended terrain, and tank forces would be used to isolate the pocket by first attacking along the 1,000 kilometers of lightly-defended Russian border. The Russian defenses are using generations of mine production in a relatively small area while threatening nuclear attacks if Ukraine attacks elsewhere - whether or not the Ukrainians are able to penetrate them I don't think the tactic can be generalized into an indictment of armored tanks as obsolete.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I don't think tanks are necessarily obsolete but I think this is largely a question of force composition and how nations around the world think wars would be fought.

The question really is how many tanks do you need. Like I somehow doubt the US is ramping up Abrams production after studying this war. Which do you think is more likely, the future tank project end up with a modest production run like the F-22 or work horse unit that's built in the thousands over its lifetime?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

WarpedLichen posted:

I don't think tanks are necessarily obsolete but I think this is largely a question of force composition and how nations around the world think wars would be fought.

The question really is how many tanks do you need. Like I somehow doubt the US is ramping up Abrams production after studying this war. Which do you think is more likely, the future tank project end up with a modest production run like the F-22 or work horse unit that's built in the thousands over its lifetime?

It certainly is a salient question. The Marines pulled out of the tank game entirely to focus on their mobile expeditionary niche. The Army is weighing whether to continue their incremental urban-combat-focused SEPv4 upgrades, or consider a lighter and more modernized redesign in the form of the Abrams X. It’ll probably hesitate to make any sudden decisions until more lessons have been learned from the conflict. There’s several different NATO militaries that are in the planning stages for a major tank design refresh. But one other thing I’ll point out is that Russian tanks nearly won this whole war with their sudden offensive towards Kyiv a couple years ago. Even if Putin couldn’t pull it off, I think that most militaries won’t want to lose that sort of capability.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1690309338848485376

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1690309563847737345

Personally this looks like a smoke screen so it might be nothing, but there's a bunch of rumours about this atm

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Missile defences were also triggered
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1690312231802564608

e: This panoramic shows there might have been at least one strike

https://twitter.com/saintjavelin/status/1690320301412720641

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The US didn't attack directly into China in either Korea or Vietnam, so it's not entirely a given that the US wiuld just simply walk into Russia proper, they aren't immune to political considerations. If the goal is just the liberation of Ukraine then the mine fields need to be dealt with.