Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

AvesPKS posted:

Also I know Warren Ellis is persona non grata these days but I just read Planetary and really loved it. Is there anything else out there close to it?

Heh, I'm rereading Planetary right now (Elijah sure is a jerk to people "below" him, huh). Authority and Wildcats by Joe Casey seem to be talked about as a "trilogy" of series coming out around the same time. I've never read Wildcats, but it's on my list now that I have the DC app.

Quick look at my shelf, Casanova jumped out as something that hits me the same way, though I can't say why. Crazy science stuff going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

AvesPKS posted:

Welp, off to check those out too! Any specific titles from his Pacific work that you'd recommend?

There’s not that much of it. Captain Victory and Silver Star. Like 20 issues total.

If you haven’t read a lot of Jack, his entire 70s run at DC is also worth reading. I mean, everything he did is. But Scioli takes a lot out of that run not just in his art but also in his storytelling.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Uthor posted:

Heh, I'm rereading Planetary right now (Elijah sure is a jerk to people "below" him, huh). Authority and Wildcats by Joe Casey seem to be talked about as a "trilogy" of series coming out around the same time. I've never read Wildcats, but it's on my list now that I have the DC app.

Quick look at my shelf, Casanova jumped out as something that hits me the same way, though I can't say why. Crazy science stuff going on?

Well I'll check out Casanova too, thanks.

Yeah there is definitely some crossover because Jenny Sparks is said to also be a Century Baby. Also the version of Planetary I read had this cool DC elseworlds one off story about an alternate version of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman attaching an evil version of Planetary that was really really good.

I think I still have the original Stormwatch #1 somewhere, heh. That and Youngblood 1 and some old issues of Gen13. All the characters are drawn angry, all the time. I think Grifter shows up in one of the DC animated movies, if I remember correctly.

I do also like the extra Liefeld art in Transformers vs. GI Joe. He's improved a little bit, and finally figured out how to draw feet! There's one pic of Scarlett that does look like classic Liefeld proportions, though.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Wildcats 3.0 is one of my favorite comics

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Uthor posted:

Have you checked out Remender's Black Science?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Science_(comics)

I forget if it was mentioned in this thread but Hickman's Manhattan Projects is a good psycho science book too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The...iction%20ideas.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm not the OP, but for me, I read a bit of Black Science and kinda dropped off. I think it's because I got it in a Humble Bundle with a ton of other Remender books and just was tired of reading his works by the time I got to it (Low sure was depressing!)

Manhattan Projects is great! But just peters out and doesn't seem like it will be continued.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Soonmot posted:

Wildcats 3.0 is one of my favorite comics

Are 4 and 5 any good, or should I just read 3?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Throwing Copra into the recommendations of you like the old school style of Superhero team dealing with situations with a very retro old school style.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

AvesPKS posted:

Are 4 and 5 any good, or should I just read 3?

The series specifically titled "Wildcats 3.0" the series directly before that was fine too, bit I don't remember one after that so take that for what it is.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Soonmot posted:

The series specifically titled "Wildcats 3.0" the series directly before that was fine too, bit I don't remember one after that so take that for what it is.

Sorry thanks, I got 3.0 but noticed there was also a v4 from 2006 and a v5 from 2008 I believe.
I'll grab v2 from 1999 as well.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

While Matthew Rosenberg's X-Men was an uneven bag of creative ideas and a ton of misery/cheap deaths, I'm rather enjoying his take on the new Wildcats. I'm up to issue 9 and would recommend this run.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Does Copra rounds 1-6 constitute the full run of Copra, or is there anything else I should be looking for?

Also I notice there are several series of The Authority. Are they all the same quality or are there any parts that are worth skipping?

I haven't had any luck finding Kirby's Pacific work yet, but I'll keep looking.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

AvesPKS posted:

Does Copra rounds 1-6 constitute the full run of Copra, or is there anything else I should be looking for?

Seems like there's a Round 7 out and a random fan-pedia says there's new issues coming out this year.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I will pop up to declare my undying love for Joe Casey's Wildcats as well. The really good stuff is:

Wildcats (volume 2) #8-28
Wildcats 3.0 #1-24

There has never been another superhero comic quite like it. You also get some beautiful art by Sean Phillips and Dustin Nguyen, and even a Steve Dillon fill-in.

Wildcats (volume 2) #1-6 is kind of mediocre (written by Scott Lobdell), but there is some GORGEOUS art by Travis Charest to balance it out. And #7 is a fill-in issue that I recall being so bad and so poorly received at the time that it was left out of the trade paperbacks.

Before that, on WildC.A.T.s (volume 1), Alan Moore himself wrote #21-34 and a short story wrapping up some of his loose ends in #50. I highly recommend those too, possibly even before you get to Casey's material so you get to know the characters better. The run is hampered by its involvement in two Wildstorm crossover events, but soldier through it.

And Moore's WildC.A.T.s run provides important background for Ed Brubaker and Colin Wilson's Point Blank miniseries, which is itself a prequel to Brubaker and Sean Phillips' brilliant Sleeper, still my favorite of all of Brubaker and Phillips' collaborations.

Finally, make sure you read Coup D'Etat, which is a crossover between Sleeper, Stormwatch: Team Achilles (the writer was later disgraced for faking military service), Wildcats 3.0, and The Authority.

One thing I haven't read in close to 20 years is Hawksmoor: The Secret History of the Authority. Was it any good? I don't remember, but I LOVED Mike Costa's Cobra comics (best G.I. Joe fiction ever, and I always recommend them highly), and Fiona Staples went on to become a hugely talented and popular artist on Saga.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Saoshyant posted:

While Matthew Rosenberg's X-Men was an uneven bag of creative ideas and a ton of misery/cheap deaths, I'm rather enjoying his take on the new Wildcats. I'm up to issue 9 and would recommend this run.

I'm enjoying it too. I hadn't kept up with previous series so there are some things I don't understand.

Why OG WildCats members are antagonists? Why is Maul fighting the CATS?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Joe Fisto posted:

I'm enjoying it too. I hadn't kept up with previous series so there are some things I don't understand.

Why OG WildCats members are antagonists? Why is Maul fighting the CATS?

From what I understand, it's a complete new universe now that the Wildstorm properties all folded into the new, main DC thing (New 52?).

Other than Maul, Caitlin Fairchild from Gen13 is also here and she has a very different origin and power set.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Finally, make sure you read Coup D'Etat, which is a crossover between Sleeper, Stormwatch: Team Achilles (the writer was later disgraced for faking military service), Wildcats 3.0, and The Authority.

Team Achilles was honestly pretty good. Unfortunately, the writer got caught before the end of his run and the series got cancelled before the last issue. You'll also have to endure some god-awful art by Whilce Portacio.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I will pop up to declare my undying love for Joe Casey's Wildcats as well. The really good stuff is:

Wildcats (volume 2) #8-28
Wildcats 3.0 #1-24

Before that, on WildC.A.T.s (volume 1), Alan Moore himself wrote #21-34 and a short story wrapping up some of his loose ends in #50. I highly recommend those too, possibly even before you get to Casey's material so you get to know the characters better. The run is hampered by its involvement in two Wildstorm crossover events, but soldier through it.

Thank you for this!

I'd prefer to start with Moore's run but I don't have that yet, nor a full run of Vol 2 so I'd rather wait until I have all the issues.

So I decided to start with vol 1 issue 1, and it's throwing me off. I just re-read The Boys and I'm almost certain that the leader of Paralactic (who gets his self-destruct mode activated) is a direct parody of Warblade.

Also there appears to be a great deal of Authority out there. Is it all worth checking out?

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 10, 2023

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I liked Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch's Authority (volume 1, #1-12) well enough 20+ years ago, but now it might feel a bit dated, with its ultra-violence, exhaustingly high stakes, high body counts, and tough-guy one-liners.

While it was arguably even more popular, I was turned off by Mark Millar and Frank Quitely's Authority run that followed, with somehow even more ultra-violence and an ugly, mean-spirited reliance on shock value. Classic Millar, in other words.

I know I read the Ed Brubaker and Dustin Nguyen run (a separate 12-issue miniseries), but as much as I love both of those creators, it didn't work for me at all.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

You can really tell with a lot of books of that era that Bush Jr was president and that America had gone crazy after 9/11. I feel like Marvel leaned into that anger and bloodlust vibe of the time more than most other comic companies. A doesn't stand for France is one of the stupidest, ignorant of history rear end lines of that era. Civil War ended with the government winning. It was a bad scene and I'm glad it's much less common outside of CG nonsense these days.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lucifunk posted:

You can really tell with a lot of books of that era that Bush Jr was president and that America had gone crazy after 9/11. I feel like Marvel leaned into that anger and bloodlust vibe of the time more than most other comic companies. A doesn't stand for France is one of the stupidest, ignorant of history rear end lines of that era. Civil War ended with the government winning. It was a bad scene and I'm glad it's much less common outside of CG nonsense these days.

That was Millar... and Millar. Go figure. I'm sure he has written some good things (I did like his innocuous Superman Adventures run), but now his name on a comic is enough to keep me away from it. Too much edge-lord cynicism and reliance on brutality and rape for "dark humor." Garth Ennis was always better at that stuff anyway, and I even feel like I outgrew his work.

In his Captain America run (I think in the very first issue), Ed Brubaker had Cap reminisce about World War II, about how the French people never gave up or stopped fighting the Nazis even when their government did. That had to be a clap-back against Millar's ugly, jingoistic Ultimate Cap.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 10, 2023

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Freedom Fries.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ultimates was some good satire at the time. The scary thing was the people who didn’t realize it was satire.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Ultimates was some good satire at the time. The scary thing was the people who didn’t realize it was satire.

Yeah, like the writers

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

That was Millar... and Millar. Go figure. I'm sure he has written some good things (I did like his innocuous Superman Adventures run), but now his name on a comic is enough to keep me away from it. Too much edge-lord cynicism and reliance on brutality and rape for "dark humor." Garth Ennis was always better at that stuff anyway, and I even feel like I outgrew his work.

In his Captain America run (I think in the very first issue), Ed Brubaker had Cap reminisce about World War II, about how the French people never gave up or stopped fighting the Nazis even when their government did. That had to be a clap-back against Millar's ugly, jingoistic Ultimate Cap.

A reminder that Mark Millar Licks Goats

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

See also: Fight Club.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Black Mask is gonna be running a Kickstarter beginning on the 15th with them matching the writers pay in donations to the WGA strike support fund. The comic is going to be exclusively written by WGA members and the host of it will be a hero who does labor organizing called General Strike. A nice contrast to the post 9/11 insanity discussion.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Was it mark millar that wrote a story around a booby trapped womb containing an incest baby?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ngl black mask has been gone so long this feels like a setup

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Synthbuttrange posted:

Was it mark millar that wrote a story around a booby trapped womb containing an incest baby?

Yeah in Nemesis. It's one lovely edgelord bit in a comic full of them.

There was a reboot of the comic this year as a part of a big Millarworld crossover that was marginally better written, which is to say that the character is closer to a knockoff of Prometheus/Wrath rather than an unmotivated pile of arbitrary twists.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 11, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It definitely seemed like it was aiming for a conclusion pretty soon, but I’m still sad to know it’s ending this year. Best fantasy comic of all time

https://twitter.com/mangamogurare/status/1690073466278387712?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gripweed posted:

It definitely seemed like it was aiming for a conclusion pretty soon, but I’m still sad to know it’s ending this year. Best fantasy comic of all time

https://twitter.com/mangamogurare/status/1690073466278387712?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

https://twitter.com/nonstopbrocock/status/1688931261308616704

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

AvesPKS posted:

Thank you for this!

I'd prefer to start with Moore's run but I don't have that yet, nor a full run of Vol 2 so I'd rather wait until I have all the issues.

So I decided to start with vol 1 issue 1, and it's throwing me off. I just re-read The Boys and I'm almost certain that the leader of Paralactic (who gets his self-destruct mode activated) is a direct parody of Warblade.

Also there appears to be a great deal of Authority out there. Is it all worth checking out?

Honestly, all the wildcats comics are good, aside from the original Lee run, and even that has the benefit of being drawn by Jim Lee.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Soonmot posted:

Honestly, all the wildcats comics are good, aside from the original Lee run, and even that has the benefit of being drawn by Jim Lee.

The story is fine in issue 1vol 1, but the character designs are just taking me back to the mid-late 90s where everything is exxxxxtrrrrreeeeemmmmeeeeeee and why does that guy have a random ponytail and why does that lady look like a Silverhawk and of course they have a big giant guy on the team. Issue 1 of 3.0 grabbed me a little bit more but I'd just feel remiss if I didn't read Moore's run first.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The best wildcats comic was the image x issue written and drawn by Erik Larsen.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

AvesPKS posted:

The story is fine in issue 1vol 1, but the character designs are just taking me back to the mid-late 90s where everything is exxxxxtrrrrreeeeemmmmeeeeeee and why does that guy have a random ponytail and why does that lady look like a Silverhawk and of course they have a big giant guy on the team. Issue 1 of 3.0 grabbed me a little bit more but I'd just feel remiss if I didn't read Moore's run first.

The more I think of it, yeah. As I said, 3.0 is my favorite but a big part of that was the build up to it and the status quo change it represented. Moore was the one who introduce Ladytron, right? That's a fun character. I haven't read volume 1 since it was released, and not much of that, since I went to college in '94 and didn't have the money to keep up with comics until like 2000.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

AvesPKS posted:

Do people in the 90s need to explain having a ponytail? It was a common hairstyle.

What’s the general opinion on comics reporting/reviewing? My second-hand view is that it’s hard to find good comics writing/criticism because most outlets are either simple cheerleaders for the Big 2 or angry chuds, but it’s worth asking people actually in the hobby

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Soonmot posted:

The more I think of it, yeah. As I said, 3.0 is my favorite but a big part of that was the build up to it and the status quo change it represented. Moore was the one who introduce Ladytron, right? That's a fun character. I haven't read volume 1 since it was released, and not much of that, since I went to college in '94 and didn't have the money to keep up with comics until like 2000.

No thanks for the recommendation. I'm still hoping to run across a complete version of Vol 2 because I really do want to read 3.0, but I've got plenty to keep me occupied, as I haven't finished Sciolis series I've got queued up. (I broke my ankle and leg about 2.5 weeks ago so I'm kind of stuck in the house for a few months).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

AvesPKS posted:

I always loved Spartan's costumes (the Jim Lee red, white, and blue look, the later Travis Charest version with the headsock instead of the mask, and Dustin Nguyen's shiny silver business suit) and Grifter's mask. Both had multiple "toyetic" looks that have outlasted most other Wildstorm character designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Grifter is a top tier costume solely because of that mask