Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Not everyone can be Egyptian Lover
https://youtu.be/YKK7ygEq_m0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

net work error posted:

I barely use my Wogglebug. Am I not random enough?

At the very least you can always use it as a sample and hold.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
So what is the general synth nerd consensus of After Later Audio in comparison to Behringer? ALA do the occasional new thing but most of their catalogue is MI clones. Is the problem that Behringer doesn't give credit to the originals or is the issue more in how they are made? Sorry for the dumb questions but I've only been a synth head for a few years and still need to catch up on my drama.

Also is it silly to have more than one sequencer in a rack? I really enjoy the Nerdseq and it can do basically everything you could ever hope but sometimes I just want to jam the moment I turn the case on, you know. I've been thinking about the RYK sequencer or Bloom but the more intelligent part of my brain is holding me back.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
ALA is a little company cloning open source modules. Behringer is a huge rear end company stealing designs from all sorts of smaller companies.

Also having lots of sequencers is fun. You can make them talk to each other and extra cv modulation sources are always good

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Driving a sequencer with a sequencer is fun too. Say you feed gates from one sequencer into one that controls pitch, lets you trigger note changes in unique rhythms to keep a melody evolving yet not completely random.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Wrageowrapper posted:

So what is the general synth nerd consensus of After Later Audio in comparison to Behringer? ALA do the occasional new thing but most of their catalogue is MI clones. Is the problem that Behringer doesn't give credit to the originals or is the issue more in how they are made? Sorry for the dumb questions but I've only been a synth head for a few years and still need to catch up on my drama.

Also is it silly to have more than one sequencer in a rack? I really enjoy the Nerdseq and it can do basically everything you could ever hope but sometimes I just want to jam the moment I turn the case on, you know. I've been thinking about the RYK sequencer or Bloom but the more intelligent part of my brain is holding me back.

The scummy thing about Behr to me, business wise, is they'll copy currently available stuff. Take the Abacus for example, that's just straight up designed to cut into Make Noise's market on Maths since you can just go buy it there still. They're not bringing back an old sound in that case, they're just ripping off a smaller outfit and using economy of scale to undercut them, and that sucks

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Arms_Akimbo posted:

The scummy thing about Behr to me, business wise, is they'll copy currently available stuff. Take the Abacus for example, that's just straight up designed to cut into Make Noise's market on Maths since you can just go buy it there still. They're not bringing back an old sound in that case, they're just ripping off a smaller outfit and using economy of scale to undercut them, and that sucks

Maths has been officially discontinued and brought back like six different times tho

Like I know people who bought them used for more than they retailed for because “you weren’t going to be able to get them anymore”

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Wrageowrapper posted:

I've got Rene2, Bloom, Arpitecht in rack, a KSP hooked in through a patchbay, and actually these days I do almost all the outer-edge sequencing from an iPad going into Mutant Brain so.

you tell me. I have no common sense.

Rene2, Bloom and Arpitecht are all very, very different, of course. And can be combined in fun and interesting ways.

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Abacus is pretty glaring, but also I think if they'd done basically the same functionality in a somewhat different form factor and layout it would not be so, because Maths is an explicit (if specific) nod to a couple Buchla modules from the 60s.

Does Abacus actually cut into Maths sales? Maybe? Probably a bit? Does Abacus make it possible for people who would never buy a maths because $300 is their music budget for an entire year, to get similar functionality? Yes. 'Which of these things is more important' is a function of who's asking, right?

If MakeNoise suddenly, somehow, had the same $2,000,000,000 valuation that Music Tribe does, am I supposed to think that they also wouldn't be Just Another lovely Company 5-10 years down the line? I think maybe I read the CSPAM economics threads for too long to become very upset at anything Behringer does :sigh:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I think a company like Behringer can absolutely kill off a company like Make Noise by cloning their products and selling them for 1/3rd the price. I don’t think Make Noise sells Maths for $300 a pop because they’re greedy or because it makes them rich, but because that’s the price that Make Noise needs to charge to continue to exist.

I’d rather live in a world of more and smaller companies doing innovative and cool poo poo rather than the world of consolidation and monopolies that we live in. If Make Noise never existed, Behringer never would have thought about making abacus. If Behringer wants to clone Maths, why can’t they add something to it? Give it another feature that Maths doesn’t have, or hell, even make Maths, but smaller.

I don’t really give a poo poo about Crave being a clone of Moog’s Mother-32, but why clone poo poo like DFAM and Subharmonicon? I doubt they were very big sellers for Moog, making clones of them doesn’t seem like a business decision, but a “gently caress you.” And now Moog is being acquired by an even bigger, lamer company, further silo’ing an already limited market.

Ulli could be a force for good in the world. I love the idea of cloning vintage, unavailable stuff. But he’s also a dick who crushes the companies that actually innovate, and that kind of thing is just going to lead to a samey and boring electronic musical instrument/device market. Why invest the time, effort, and resources to dedicate your life to making something new and exciting when your ceiling is to exist just long enough for Ulli to eat your lunch?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I think a company like Behringer can absolutely kill off a company like Make Noise by cloning their products and selling them for 1/3rd the price. I don’t think Make Noise sells Maths for $300 a pop because they’re greedy or because it makes them rich, but because that’s the price that Make Noise needs to charge to continue to exist.

I’d rather live in a world of more and smaller companies doing innovative and cool poo poo rather than the world of consolidation and monopolies that we live in. If Make Noise never existed, Behringer never would have thought about making abacus. If Behringer wants to clone Maths, why can’t they add something to it? Give it another feature that Maths doesn’t have, or hell, even make Maths, but smaller.

I don’t really give a poo poo about Crave being a clone of Moog’s Mother-32, but why clone poo poo like DFAM and Subharmonicon? I doubt they were very big sellers for Moog, making clones of them doesn’t seem like a business decision, but a “gently caress you.” And now Moog is being acquired by an even bigger, lamer company, further silo’ing an already limited market.

Ulli could be a force for good in the world. I love the idea of cloning vintage, unavailable stuff. But he’s also a dick who crushes the companies that actually innovate, and that kind of thing is just going to lead to a samey and boring electronic musical instrument/device market. Why invest the time, effort, and resources to dedicate your life to making something new and exciting when your ceiling is to exist just long enough for Ulli to eat your lunch?

I don't understand your reasoning on that bolded part. And I'm thinking that the Edge is going to be a big seller. Maybe just because it sounds nice to me LOL.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I think a company like Behringer can absolutely kill off a company like Make Noise by cloning their products and selling them for 1/3rd the price.

I see where you're coming from and just don't agree, this all seems like very normal capitalism to me. If Behr was aggressively targeting MN by making knockoffs of a bunch of their stuff, that would be different; they made a cheap version of one very popular thing that's been around for quite a while, which seems like their normal MO. I'd imagine that's motivated by wanting to avoid lawsuits more than altruism, but even if Maths still represents some substantial part of MakeNoise's revenue, I don't think the existence of Abacus is going to cut into it enough to make a difference, and I don't think they're going to go try to make their own Specraphon or Erbe-Verb any time soon, either.

The distinction you're drawing between the mother32 and the 2 other products in the exact same product line completely eludes me, I am afraid. Doing a DFAM and sub along with Mother seems as logical as doing 303/808/909 or whatever.

To be very clear: I think that Behringer, like all corporations worth over a certain amount, should be humanely dissolved and broken up, and I think Uli, like all people worth over a certain amount, should be humanely divested of most of that wealth which should likewise be redistributed. I am not stanning for Uli, I'm just looking at the broad landscape of earth-destroying toxic capitalism that I interact with to pursue my hobbies, and Behringer bothers me so much less than the companies mining the oil to power the trucks to bring my synths here, I just don't have it in me to do much more than smirk at their shenanigans, especially when it's silly over the top poo poo like picking fights with youtube influencers.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I listened to yesterday's Benn Jordan stream and they kind of touched on it, wondering out loud why, to use our example, behringer couldn't sell the Abacus to MN for basically $99 a pop, MN continues to sell it at their price and shift from assembly to basically drop shipping the units. "Everybody" wins (except the consumer who never sees a $99 maths clone) and nobody looks like an rear end in a top hat. Thought it was an interesting take but I have to imagine at least one side had explored that option

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
They would make way less money if they did that. Many people (myself included) would not pay the Maths price for a Maths.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I listened to yesterday's Benn Jordan stream and they kind of touched on it, wondering out loud why, to use our example, behringer couldn't sell the Abacus to MN for basically $99 a pop, MN continues to sell it at their price and shift from assembly to basically drop shipping the units. "Everybody" wins (except the consumer who never sees a $99 maths clone) and nobody looks like an rear end in a top hat. Thought it was an interesting take but I have to imagine at least one side had explored that option

Maybe the math just didn't work for either side

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1690360084633722883?t=JCyM0Wjg7qJsomI-aFkrjQ&s=19

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Four drummers XD

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

withak posted:

Four drummers XD

after the show they tried to screw in a light bulb

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Ilhan is so cool

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Tayter Swift posted:

after the show they tried to screw in a light bulb

Remember the "Spot the drummer" series in the Washington City Paper? What's the difference between a drum machine and a drummer? You only have to punch in the beat once on the drum machine.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

duck.exe posted:

Ilhan is so cool

the first page of your post history has both D&D and CSPAM in it so I have literally no idea if this is serious, satire, serious-but-also-satire, or satire-but-also-serious.

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Minus Behr as the manufacturer, this is more or less what WMD appears to be pursuing -- doing design and not doing their own manufacturing.

Your caveat to "everybody" is substantial; I spend enough time on r/musicbattlestations to know there's a shitton of people drowing in talent I'll never have working from rigs that cost 10% what my setup does. I don't want to see MakeNoise get eaten by Behr but I'm not unhappy that people have inexpensive module options.

If you're having fun, it doesn't matter what brand of modulator you're using.

If you're making music that you and/or others enjoy, it doesn't matter what brand of modulator you're using.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

is polyend mini just a worse m8??

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cabbages and Kings posted:

the first page of your post history has both D&D and CSPAM in it so I have literally no idea if this is serious, satire, serious-but-also-satire, or satire-but-also-serious.

Minus Behr as the manufacturer, this is more or less what WMD appears to be pursuing -- doing design and not doing their own manufacturing.

Your caveat to "everybody" is substantial; I spend enough time on r/musicbattlestations to know there's a shitton of people drowing in talent I'll never have working from rigs that cost 10% what my setup does. I don't want to see MakeNoise get eaten by Behr but I'm not unhappy that people have inexpensive module options.

If you're having fun, it doesn't matter what brand of modulator you're using.

If you're making music that you and/or others enjoy, it doesn't matter what brand of modulator you're using.

Agreed motherfucker

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

well, I guess that was less controversial than my "chaotic evil: mosin is a module, it's a single-shot sample machine with one trigger input" idea.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cabbages and Kings posted:

is polyend mini just a worse m8??

They two sides of the same coin.

Polyend has a superior screen and doesn't depend on specific models of SD cards because it doesn't use removable storage as RAM. It also has a more modern interface which some people may prefer. Oh and there probably isn't a two year delay on buying one.

But the M8 has some awesome synth engines. And a hyper focused input system that you grow to love once you decode its mysteries. And the ports are on top.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
A friend of mine was borrowing my Deluge and was robbed so I'm looking to replace it. Is there anything else like it on the market right now? We typically used it as a drum machine and lining up bass / background parts to jam over.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I'd say MPC One/Live would fit the bill.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

theratking posted:

A friend of mine was borrowing my Deluge and was robbed so I'm looking to replace it. Is there anything else like it on the market right now? We typically used it as a drum machine and lining up bass / background parts to jam over.

that's a niche that if anything is oversaturated so it really depends on the budget and type of sound you're looking for. samples or synthesized sounds or both. how deep vs fast so you want the interface to be?

if you want something simple that gets the job done for relatively cheap something like the roland tr-6s or mc-101 would probably get you where you want to go but if you want more depth then maybe probably not

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

So I ended up making a couple of modular purchases today; one planned, one...not so planned. I have a NTS-1, which I love to pieces, but haven't been using much recently as I've dived further and further into the modular rabbithole (mostly because I am, in fact, concerned about loving it to literal pieces from plugging and unplugging things constantly from it). So I've been chomping at the bit for the past month now to pick one of these aftermarket kits to slap my NTS-1 behind and properly integrate it into my setup, and after getting the drop warning earlier this week, I practically pounced on it today. Just a one-and-done purchase, nothing to it...

...and then I read this article from Noise Engineering about how they're discontinuing several of their modules due to the CPU they use going out of production: https://www.noiseengineering.us/blogs/loquelic-literitas-the-blog/goodbye-iteritas

...and then I watch this video on one of the discontinued modules, the Basimilus Iteritas Alter, and realize it makes exactly the kind of gnarly drum tones I crave. So after a miss on one selling out right while I had it in the cart, I now have a BIA on the way from Patchwerks.

Modular. Not even once. :retrogames:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ooh, BIA being discontinued is going to be a bit of a panic buy motivator. That's a favorite with a bunch of folks.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

NuclearPotato posted:

This is why I keep talking myself out of a Mavis. I just know having a rack ready osc is gonna be my gateway drug

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Arms_Akimbo posted:

This is why I keep talking myself out of a Mavis. I just know having a rack ready osc is gonna be my gateway drug
How 'bout a little modular? As a treat?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the behr pro-800 looks fuckin sweet

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

NuclearPotato posted:

So I ended up making a couple of modular purchases today; one planned, one...not so planned. I have a NTS-1, which I love to pieces, but haven't been using much recently as I've dived further and further into the modular rabbithole (mostly because I am, in fact, concerned about loving it to literal pieces from plugging and unplugging things constantly from it). So I've been chomping at the bit for the past month now to pick one of these aftermarket kits to slap my NTS-1 behind and properly integrate it into my setup, and after getting the drop warning earlier this week, I practically pounced on it today. Just a one-and-done purchase, nothing to it...

...and then I read this article from Noise Engineering about how they're discontinuing several of their modules due to the CPU they use going out of production: https://www.noiseengineering.us/blogs/loquelic-literitas-the-blog/goodbye-iteritas

...and then I watch this video on one of the discontinued modules, the Basimilus Iteritas Alter, and realize it makes exactly the kind of gnarly drum tones I crave. So after a miss on one selling out right while I had it in the cart, I now have a BIA on the way from Patchwerks.

i have both the nts1 and nts2 kits from that manufacturer. they're really nice

gonna pass on the BIA cause i have 3 plaits and 2 braids for all my macro-oscillating

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I got the used M8 today and you guys weren't kidding, it's such an awesome little device. I still need to learn it and get into tracker workflow, but I'm really looking forward to it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone got any theories how he's sequencing this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va5RRIReM7g

It kinda sounds like a loop being fed through a plugin that does a "ratchet glitch" type thing with probability. I guess I should just try to mimic it in VCV but it also sounds like a fun topic to chat about.

I could also just ask him directly but youtube comments are poison.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

doing it DAWless will always be a bit of a pain for that sort of stuff generally when i want something like that done and i don't feel like painstakingly programming it i will slap audio damage replicant on it (i just learned that replicant 3 exists now which is exciting news to me) and then let the sequence run for a minute or two while recording it and then digging through the audio file looking for particularly cool sounding pieces and then cutting it up and reassembling it.

the problem with that is that you can't really change the base sound after that process has been done but it has served me well in the past

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

xzzy posted:

Anyone got any theories how he's sequencing this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va5RRIReM7g

It kinda sounds like a loop being fed through a plugin that does a "ratchet glitch" type thing with probability. I guess I should just try to mimic it in VCV but it also sounds like a fun topic to chat about.

I could also just ask him directly but youtube comments are poison.
That accelerating ratchet could be accieved with something like a pingable envelope generator with rising cv controlling the rate.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Wrageowrapper posted:

After Later is a tiny company only doing open-source modules that other people have developed with a smattering of their own creations, while Behringer is a much larger company whole-hog stealing the ideas and designs of other companies to directly undercut them. Also in my passing interactions with them at Velocity Festival and other Seattle happenings, the AL folks are genuinely good and cool people.

And I think you answered your own question - if you want to use different sequencers to do different things, it's not silly! I have an Eloquencer for when I want to do very structured full-length stuff, and other sequencers like Cellz, uGrids, etc. for when I just want to jam.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

RocketMermaid posted:

After Later is a tiny company only doing open-source modules that other people have developed with a smattering of their own creations, while Behringer is a much larger company whole-hog stealing the ideas and designs of other companies to directly undercut them. Also in my passing interactions with them at Velocity Festival and other Seattle happenings, the AL folks are genuinely good and cool people.

And I think you answered your own question - if you want to use different sequencers to do different things, it's not silly! I have an Eloquencer for when I want to do very structured full-length stuff, and other sequencers like Cellz, uGrids, etc. for when I just want to jam.
Cool to hear, re; the ALA folks.
So far out of the small outfits on the West coast, I've now heard good things about after later, noise engineering, capital city transistor and valve,
And read some incredibly poor online behaviour from the owner of synthrotek.
Any others to add to the piles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I like my interactions and modules from calsynth. Prefer his clones to after later's in terms of feel.