Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
holy poo poo

Demons of Baseball rules. :suspense:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Weber writing Hagar is just a factoid that I picked up from somewhere. Either some past iteration of this thread or JoshReads mentioned it and it lodged in my head. I can't readily find verification, so my apologies for passing on misinformation/leaking classified secrets of the King Syndicate.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Weber writing Hagar is just a factoid that I picked up from somewhere. Either some past iteration of this thread or JoshReads mentioned it and it lodged in my head. I can't readily find verification, so my apologies for passing on misinformation/leaking classified secrets of the King Syndicate.

Okay, I see where that came from. My apologies if it sounded like I was questioning your integrity; it's probably just a sign of the increasing irrelevance of newspaper comics in general that the only up-to-date information I could find about the creative side of the Hagar strip was Chris Browne's eulogy.

But at the same time all of this is more ammo for what could easily grow into a dandy Hagar the Horrible conspiracy theory, since Josh fill-in Uncle Lumpy's source link dropped irretrievably dead at some point in the past ten years. Does the Hagar-Hi and Lois consortium make creatives sign a non-disclosure agreement? Are you in any danger, Bob Weber? Make Cassandra Cat blink twice if the answer's yes. Preferably while striking a saucy pose that would double the eBay value of the original art.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, I've been enjoying Hagar. It's not top-tier newspaper funnies, but it's solid mid-tier.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'm sorry, but as far as doomsday supervillain weapons go "I can kill people but then easily bring them back to life" doesn't exactly rate that highly on the evil scale, at least not to the point that I can really root for Ace Brady just killing them all permanently.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

catlord posted:

Yeah, I've been enjoying Hagar. It's not top-tier newspaper funnies, but it's solid mid-tier.

It's one of the few legacy strips in my opinion that can still tell a serviceable joke

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hagar is an immortal. It's why some strips are set in the 1700s.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin - We ran out of tattoo jokes

Mandrake

We can only sit and wait until they starve to death.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 10, 2023

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Check the last panel, did they intentionally make the owner a dickhead?

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 17: Hell on Wheels Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

There’s not a lot to say about this page, apart from the fact that I turned Photoshop’s AI loose on the top panel a couple of months ago and the result was a real treat.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn Demons of Baseball is insane hardcore whether it is about dating, asking someone out, or baseball.

Aha! I do know this info about Transformers: overall the flight capable were seen as better than ground vehicles (there's a great jab in the Transformers Prime show where Starscream, notable always jet, quips "Oh, right, you're one of THOSE" to a rather prettyboy sportscar who was complaining about bugs in his grill.) and yeah yeah in the G1 cartoon, the Autobots could fly, and then never again, where the Cons almost always could, even as bots.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Charles Boyce seems like a real nice guy and I'm convinced he's an outsider art genius.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

BUM BOAT MUTHAFUCKAS

The Phantom

Devil's doing a "Eh, it's a living."

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

amigolupus posted:

This arc of Apartment 3-G is quickly taking a turning for the worse. Why is she even meeting with this stalker? Tell this loser to take a hike and go back to your plan of shagging Papagoras.
I'm tempted to post the storyline before this one that got me to start posting it again. I probably will sometime so I don't want to give anything away, but I got invested in the characters.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

YOU HAVE KILLED OR LOCKED UP EVERYONE IN THE PRISON WHO IS LEFT TO KILL YOU MOTHERFUCKER

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Kennel posted:

Dustin - We ran out of tattoo jokes

Comparing the "science" of economics to a seer is actually a decent burn. It's likely not what Kelley intended, of course.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

BUM BOAT MUTHAFUCKAS

drat didn't know Mary Worth was an rear end-eatin' Millennial

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 3/19-21/51

Groan.

Archie 11/17-19/47

"The condensed version in the pocket size magazine" is a reference to Reader's Digest, which did pretty good business selling cut-down versions of bestsellers as "Condensed Books" for those who didn't have the time or inclination to read the whole thing.

MOCK frog?! We use no artificial additives or preservatives of any kind!

Anyway, yes, it's Old Lady Head Trauma week in Archie. Enjoy!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mr. Squishy posted:

The Slylock Fox guy took it over a few years ago, I think he's doing a great job.

They failed to predict the military industrial complex's forthcoming dominance over American society.

Now known as "Congressional Military Industrial Complex"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Comparing the "science" of economics to a seer is actually a decent burn. It's likely not what Kelley intended, of course.

What else could the intention be? It's a pretty simple joke without a lot of wiggle room for interpretation.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

As much as I despise treating economics as a science, I think "pundit" or "political cartoonist" completes the sentence even better.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Raskolnikov38 posted:

YOU HAVE KILLED OR LOCKED UP EVERYONE IN THE PRISON WHO IS LEFT TO KILL YOU MOTHERFUCKER
At this point he's not avoiding getting shot anymore, he's avoiding going home so he won't get yelled at by his wife who he knows definitely read Mozz's Prophecy and knows about Future-Him schtupping Savarna.

Or, in other words: "If I never go home, I never have to deal with the consequences of my actions :buddy:"

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Rudy Immediately Commits A Holiday Microaggression He Didn't Last Week

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Dec 7-8, 1963)

Big Nate

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah good point, guy. It's not like anyone's gonna be making weapons after the war ends in 3 years.

Most of the companies that converted to arms making during the war were able to go right back to their civilian product lines, but it didn't go well for the civilian arms companies in the postwar period.

Both the military and civilian arms markets were absolutely glutted with WWII surplus, leading to a major contraction in the market. Most of the new weapons that were being built (which wasn't a huge amount for the next decade - Korea was fought almost entirely with WWII small arms, for example, and the Next Generation of rifles (primarily the FN FAL and M14 didn't enter service until the late 1950s) - was done in small batches or by government arsenals. "What are we going to do with this specialized gun-making equipment?" was a real problem once war orders started trailing off in late 1945.

Selachian posted:

"The condensed version in the pocket size magazine" is a reference to Reader's Digest, which did pretty good business selling cut-down versions of bestsellers as "Condensed Books" for those who didn't have the time or inclination to read the whole thing.

Fun fact - if you've ever seen a big wall of books on TV or a movie, they were probably Reader's Digest Condensed Books, somtmes with a paper cover put on to hide that fact. The things were so ubiquitous (and so valueless once the early life cycle of the novels they contained was over) that they were and are an incredibly cheap source for "books by the foot".

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Did I post the latest Blind Alley here yet? Whatever, have it again just in case.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Bogor

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Scrolling down on my phone and wondering why Ralph Wiggum was in the last panel

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Selachian posted:

Archie 11/17-19/47

So what book suitable for required reading could have been adapted into a radio play and a film by or before 1947?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 07, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Is there anyone interested in more John Allison-verse stuff? I'm tinkering with a script to grab all of Scary-Go-Round off the Internet Archive... albeit very slowly, because the IA is like that. It's got some warts but not so much that Allison has memory holed it like he did with Bobbins, and there are a lot of fun stories. Plus you get a lot of fantastic pre-getting-his-poo poo-together Ryan Beckwith moments. There's about seven years of mostly M-F strips so I'd probably post them a week at a time per post.

I'm grabbing these collections for my own archiving anyways so if people aren't interested my powershell fiddling will still have been worth it at least :v:

start with bobbins imo

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

Is Boyce actually experimenting with story lines?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Has he said anything about the strike? I don't remember or care but I feel like he basically said "oh there's a back log to tide me over!" and if he hasn't I feel like he is gonna demand people resume working because baby needs shiny keys, feed nerd pig his slop, nerd pig demands content.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

"I won't be leaving except in one kilogram pieces" is a regional saying, I guess.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Underworld LA Weekly 07/31/1997–08/07/1997

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Gnome de plume posted:

So what book suitable for required reading could have been adapted into a radio play and a film by or before 1947?

There were several programs in the 40s which produced radio versions of the big budget adaptations that MGM et al released (often with many of the same stars repeating their roles). After a little bit of looking I've so far found that "Screen Guild Theater" presented The Yearling in 1947 (from the 1946 film), and the "Academy Award" program in 1946 put on The Prisoner of Zenda, but presumably based on the film from a decade previously.

On the other hand, David Lean directed a big production of Great Expectations which was released in the US in '47, and that Dickens story had been adapted as a radio play several times over without the context of a big film tie-in, so that's my slightly-educated guess. It certainly was prevalent in American pop culture.