Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

trickybiscuits posted:

This is the first time I have ever run across this word [cabotage] and the fact that it's not pronounced like "sabotage" breaks my heart.

But it is ??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Hellblazer187 posted:

I couldn't imagine leaving my sister's wedding early to help someone move. But, I actually like my sister. OP is allowed to like his friends much, much more than his sister, if that's the dynamic. Leaving early doesn't make the day about you. Maybe sister thinks they're closer than they actually are? If that's the case I'd understand why she's upset. It's a reveal that brother doesn't care as much about you. If you didn't realize that, it'd certainly be a sad moment. For instance, I'd definitely be upset if my sister left early during my wedding*, because I'm operating under the impression that I'm an important person to her. But, she's allowed to think differently. I'd be sad about that, but there's no reason to yell at someone "prioritize me more!" If someone doesn't feel as strongly about you as you do about them you can be sad about it but move on.

*both times I got married we had zero guests weddings are stupid wedding invites are acts of aggression I wouldn't ever do that to someone

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I think it's the fact that OP considers helping someone move to be a higher priority than a wedding regardless of relationship dynamics, unless the siblings absolutely hated each other's loving guts.

I'd also hope my best friend would demand I go to the wedding because they understand that not going would lead to years of awkwardness and resentment if I ditched it to help them move.

I'm not the type of person to blindly go along with social contracts just because "that's what you're supposed to do", but even I realize the negative impacts of ditching a family wedding to help someone move isn't loving worth it even if I don't really care. That's a grudge people will hold against you for the rest of their lives.

Silly Newbie posted:

I think it's pretty obvious that she's just being a bridezilla who is upset that her special day isn't the only significant event that occured on the planet that day.
Both of our thoughts are equally supported by the text.
Also who calls people anymore?

quote:

It's obviously a romantic story, leaving a wedding early and driving hours, inspired by the romance of the day, and coming out of it dating your best friend.

I THINK YOU MIGHT BE MISSING A CRITICAL PART OF THE STORY.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pff posted:

Gamblers have broken brains. Even the winners.

Literally every popular gambling game is designed to prey on people's mental vulnerabilities. If your brain ain't already broken it soon will be.

Dr. Stab posted:

It's very common, but completely baffling to me, for parents to mourn their trans child as though they died. Because the idea of somebody being the same person but a different gender is harder than the idea that they died and were replaced by a new child.

Because for a lot of these parents, they don't love their children, they love the idea of their perfect child as an accessory to their life, and see the real human being with needs, feelings and their own life as getting in the way of that ideal.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Propaniac posted:

Wife (31F) called me (35M) a "tube" and things spiraled out of control.

Lmao the last time I heard tube used as an insult was in early primary school when we didn’t know swears yet.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Tubular!

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I (28m) accidentally punched a woman. She went around telling people that I intentionally hit her and also that I was abusive to my wife.

quote:

Last week, there was a small get together at my friend’s house; just us 9-10 of us close friends. Now he invited one of his friends, Susan (28f) and she brought along her brother (30m), who none of us knew. My wife (28f) was present there too.

Her brother, Dave, was being weird with my wife from the get-go. Half the time he was there he was staring at my wife inappropriately and trying to touch her whenever he found her alone. She even asked me to hold her hand the entire time because he was making her uncomfortable. I told her we could leave if she wanted to, but she said she won’t let a creep sabotage her evening. This was a bad decision on our part; should’ve left earlier.

I got a work call in the middle of the party, and my wife told me to take the call and assured me she would be fine with her friend, Lisa. When I came back after 5 minutes, I see Dave trying to talk to Lisa and my wife and both of them looked very uncomfortable. Apparently he’d been trying to convince them to get inside the pool naked. I confronted him, and well, things escalated. He said some colourful words to my wife and Lisa, implied that my wife was totally leading him on before I came back.

I physically shoved him away from my wife and Lisa. He retaliated and not proud of this but we got into a fist fight. It was all adrenaline and fists and punches. I raise my hand to punch him, gained enough momentum that’d have knocked his teeth out and all of a sudden,his sister, Susan comes in front of him trying to shield him. And my fist hit her in the face. I apologised, I profusely apologised and even offered to take her to the hospital. I’ve never raised my hands on a woman and I never will. This was a gently caress up and I was very ashamed of myself.

Susan didn’t accept my offer and neither my apologies. Dave took her to the hospital. The next day, she put up a story on Instagram about how I hit her, with a photo of her injury and her face. The story they’re going with is that my wife and Lisa were totally hitting on Dave and when I found out, I hit Susan out of anger. Now I’ve been getting threatening messages on my social media accounts, someone even found my LinkedIn profile and messaged my company asking why they hired ‘woman abusers’. Lisa and my wife have tried to mitigate this disaster by posting the correct version of this story, but it looks like people have made up their minds that I’m an abusive rear end in a top hat. Some have even messaged my wife asking her to divorce me or if I abuse her too or why is she supporting someone who hits women.

I contacted Susan through my lawyer and said that we’re gonna sue for defamation and slander, that let’s settle this in court and that other people present at the party are ready to testify against her. Dave and her are now begging us to forgive them as they’re very poor (they are, both have been unemployed since two-three years) and they’re even ready to post on SM that they lied.

My wife thinks that we should definitely sue them. Lisa thinks that a court case will really gently caress them over and destroy their lives. I kinda agree with both of them. What should I do?

Edit : I replied to a comment saying this and since a lot of people think that I shouldn’t have gotten into a physical altercation with the guy,I’ll replay his exact words. ‘Your wife was begging for my cock before you rudely interrupted us.’ This was when I shoved him away and then he threw the first punch. It escalated from there. I know this isn’t a justification for the physical fight but well, it is what it is.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

why are you posting about your court cases on the relationships reddit mate

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

killerwhat posted:

But it is ??

Next you're going to say "louder" rhymes with "Crowder".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Don't discuss the details of this case with anyone except the internet.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I once got a phone call asking if I could translate some ancient Sanskrit tablets.

I was a librarian.

Haven't you seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Any high school librarian can translate any and all ancient dead languages and also knows all about demons.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Dear Prudence, Help! My Parents Gave Me a Wacky, Offensive Name.

quote:

Dear Prudence,

My parents gave me a really terrible name, that half-rhymes and contains a racial slur—think “Gypsy-Pixie,” and misspelled. (We are a white family.) I have hated it my whole life and was bullied mercilessly for it in school. My friends and teachers called me an initial-based nickname at my request, although when my parents found out that teachers used my nickname, they called the school and complained, to my absolute mortification. I changed my name legally as soon as I could upon adulthood. Everyone now knows me as “Ann,” and my friends who knew me before made the change smoothly.

My parents are furious. They refuse point-blank to use my name, although they have had a full year now. They always used to tell me I would “grow to love” my “beautiful and unique” name when I cried about it as a child, and are obviously angry that they have been proven wrong on that. I get that it must be painful for a parent to feel like their child has rejected the name they chose, but … come on. They have always known how much I hated it, always ignored my pleading to be called nicknames, and on top of all this, THEIR names are completely normal (e.g., “Bob” and “Liz”), so they have no idea what this has been like for me.

I know this seems petty, but my relationship with them is deeply strained because of this. I gave them an “adjustment period” where I said I wouldn’t mind them occasionally using the old name, but they ignored that completely. When I said I would be cutting short calls or meetups if they called me my old name, they went ahead and called me it anyway (in front of others), then acted stunned and hurt when I left the exchange as promised. I am increasingly pulling away from them because of this—I don’t want to be called the wrong name multiple times per conversation, and it hurts me that they’re willing to die on this hill rather than just respect my right to have a name I don’t hate and doesn’t get me laughed at on the regular. They called me “Gypsy-Pixie” for 20 years. Am I wrong for thinking they should be able to adjust to “Ann” now that I’m an adult? Can you recommend a way for me to handle this better—or am I being immature for dying on this hill with them?

—No My Bullies Weren’t Just Jealous

What is the naaaame? :psyduck:

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

For some reason, I think the story that this dude saw Dave hitting on his wife and in rage punched an unrelated third party might not fly.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

feedmegin posted:

Haven't you seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Any high school librarian can translate any and all ancient dead languages and also knows all about demons.

"I should have read the caption."
"Why, what does it say?"
"Actual size."

"Who's a little Fear Demon? C'mon. Who's a little Fear Demon?"
"Don't taunt the demon."
"Why, can it hurt me?"
"No, it's just tacky."
(Or something along those lines, it's been a long time since I've seen it!)

AITA for wanting to keep an expensive birthday gift that makes my boyfriend uncomfortable?

quote:

I (F just turned 25) have a friend, “Logan” (M25), and we’ve been friends since we were 7/8. I have a boyfriend “Matt” who I’ve been dating for 7 months.

My birthday was last week, and I had a dinner party for some friends before we all went out to a club. There was 8 of including Logan and Matt. We had a little bit of a “gift opening” before dessert, and Logan gifted me an old copy of The Great Gatsby.

The book has a special significance to us, because for many years Logan and I lived in different countries. We kept in contact, but we didn’t see each other in person for about 4 years. We finally got our parents to agree for me to fly to his country to visit in 2013. We were talking about what we were going to do on the visit and I really wanted to go and see The Great Gatsby movie, which had just come out, as it is my favourite book. Logan had never even heard of it, and I said he had to read it before we went to see the movie. Logan was never academic, and to this day it is the only fiction book he’s ever read all the way through (not counting children’s books). Whenever I ask him to do me a favour he always replies with “I read The Great Gatsby for you, so I may as well” and it’s a running joke.

We always go big on birthdays but this book means so much to me.

The day after, Matt said he felt the book was an inappropriate gift, because of how expensive it is. I tried to explain to him that it’s just a sentimental gift and that the cost isn’t the point, but Matt said he feels weird that another man gifted me something that costs more than his car. This argument went on for a long time and Matt said that he thinks I should return the book, and if it means so much to both of us then Logan can keep it. I told him to grow up.

We’ve been having this fight on and off for a week. Matt’s saying that it’s reasonable for him to be uncomfortable but I think he’s being a jealous child. It’s not like Logan gave me a giant diamond necklace just to show off, he gave me something heartfelt that means the world to me, and I think that should be more important than the fact that Matt thinks it’s outside what he deems an acceptable budget.

My mother is saying to give Matt the benefit of the doubt and maybe ask Logan to keep the book for now and if one day Matt is more secure I can take it back. My dad is saying Matt’s an idiot. My girlfriends are split.

This argument is just dragging on and I’m leaving for my birthday trip tomorrow and I just need some perspective on whether I’m being unreasonable wanting to keep the book?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DeeplyConcerned posted:

For some reason, I think the story that this dude saw Dave hitting on his wife and in rage punched an unrelated third party might not fly.

It's a cartoon explanation of how punches are thrown. Like the guy had his fist cocked for a good fifteen seconds saying "Why I oughta..."

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

axolotl farmer posted:

To be fair, it sounds like this person has a unique enough name that if they actually posted that you'd be able to look them up. This is like that Seinfeld episode where he couldn't remember the woman's name, but it rhymes with a part of the female anatomy

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Mulva?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for naming my kid while my wife was unconscious?

quote:

I (32 m) have been married to my wonderful wife (30 f) for just around 6 years. We have been talking about starting our family for all of those years, so you can imagine our excitement when we could finally start our family after all this time. My wife went into labour last week and my baby’s head was to big for her to push him out. Which led to her having a emergency C-section. When my baby was delivered i was overjoyed, i asked the nurse if i could see my baby. When they handed me my baby they also informed me that my wife had passed out and most likely wouldn’t be awake for sometime .

When i was looking into my gorgeous baby boys eyes i saw my pop pop (my grandfather) staring right back at me, i knew exactly what to name my beautiful boy. Pnurtis, i understand that the name may sound bizarre but my pop pop meant a lot to me so when he passed i knew that i needed to honour his name in the right way, and this is how i have decided to do it. I signed the papers and patiently waited for my wife to wake up so i introduce her to our handsome young boy, when she woke up and i told her the name she chuckled quietly and asked if i was joking. i silently shook my head and explained how much the name meant to me. her facial expression changed in the blink of an eye and she kept asking if i was serious. I showed her the paper and told her i wasn’t joking.

Tears started to pool in her eyes as she sobbed telling me to get out. I’m assuming she had called her mum into the room as i was told i needed to get out of the room. My wife’s sobs soon filled the hallway as i knew i had hurt her feelings. She has now left the hospital and is currently living with her parents, I’ve tried to contact her, her mother and even her father, they all declined my calls and texted me telling me what I did wasn’t ok. I just want to see my family again as they are all i have. I understand naming our baby with her not being conscious was probably not the smartest thing. But we have had multiple conversations about how much my pop pop means to me. So am i the rear end in a top hat?

(added para breaks)
(actual name in post is Crendel)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Imagine typing all those words and still asking that question.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Girlfriend’s little brother used my collection of ‘64 Kennedy Half Dollars to buy drugs

This is how Rule of the Bone starts, the little brother is in for a wild coming of age experience

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

DOLORES!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for naming my kid while my wife was unconscious?

(added para breaks)
(actual name in post is Crendel)

Speaking of people complaining to their mother...

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

It may as well be the example they used as it also contains a racial slur.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, I'm a bit confused by "My actual name is a racial slur so for privacy's sake I'll replace it with a different racial slur"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Many idiots out there who don't consider it a "real" slur.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, I'm a bit confused by "My actual name is a racial slur so for privacy's sake I'll replace it with a different racial slur"

To highlight that yes, the name is exactly as bad as presented while not letting people creep on and bully OP again? It sounds like it would be very easy to find her with the actual name, and they have a huuuuuge history of being bullied over it. It's not being changed to hide the atrocious slur name, it's being changed to protect themselves from internet weirdos.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
N’wah-Tara

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

With this character's name change, the thread of racism has been severed. Restore their parent's narcissism to restore the weave of hate, or persist in the slightly less poo poo world they have created.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yehhhh it's awkward but I think if she hadn't posted the example name, a lot of people would be thinking 'its not that bad' and oh, no, it actually is

feel bad for OP. everyone should be allowed to reinvent themselves, and its always tough when family takes offense to that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Biplane posted:

Many idiots out there who don't consider it a "real" slur.

Oh I'm well aware. There are plenty of people in the US that aren't even aware Romani people exist, less so how much of their regular vernacular includes slurs referring to them.

FoolyCharged posted:

To highlight that yes, the name is exactly as bad as presented while not letting people creep on and bully OP again? It sounds like it would be very easy to find her with the actual name, and they have a huuuuuge history of being bullied over it. It's not being changed to hide the atrocious slur name, it's being changed to protect themselves from internet weirdos.

I have no issue with the change in name for anonymity, but there are other ways of getting across how offensive it is without replacing it with another uncensored slur.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

boofhead posted:

With this character's name change, the thread of racism has been severed. Restore their parent's narcissism to restore the weave of hate, or persist in the slightly less poo poo world they have created.

Lmao

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Oh I'm well aware. There are plenty of people in the US that aren't even aware Romani people exist, less so how much of their regular vernacular includes slurs referring to them.

I have no issue with the change in name for anonymity, but there are other ways of getting across how offensive it is without replacing it with another uncensored slur.

Lmao I've known someone who got really confused and upset when I tried to explain it to them because they thought I was defending a fantasy trope despite me telling them repeatedly that Romani are real people (and are not Romanians)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Xun posted:

Lmao I've known someone who got really confused and upset when I tried to explain it to them because they thought I was defending a fantasy trope despite me telling them repeatedly that Romani are real people (and are not Romanians)

Well, of course they aren't Romanians, they're top busy Romani around to affiliate with a country.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for telling my family I will move and they will never see me or my daughter again if they don't stop trying to set me up?

quote:

My wife passed away suddenly after giving birth to our daughter five years ago. My parents and sisters have spent the last four years telling me to move on.

I cannot.

You know how amputees get phantom pain in their missing limbs. It's like that. Except it's everything that's missing. I took my daughter to a street performers festival in my city and my heart ached because I went to buy some kettle corn. I hate kettle corn. My wife loved it. I was buying something I hate for someone who isn't there.

My mother did the cruelest thing I can imagine. She told my daughter that she should ask for a new mommy for her birthday.

I wasn't polite in dealing with that. I told her that if her or my sisters ever tried to bring a woman into my life I would leave the city with my daughter and they would never see us again.

Now all three of my sisters and my father have called me to yell at me for threatening my mother and them. They say that they are only trying to help and that I'm an rear end in a top hat for not accepting the inevitable.

The bolded bit made me recoil from my monitor, Jesus Christ.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That is extremely bad but if you have spent the past five years insisting to yourself that you can't move on, :therapy:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
He needs therapy not whatever the gently caress that was, lovely mom

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Overarm windmill dunking that mom into an acid vat would be a good head start on the therapy.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I (28m) accidentally punched a woman. She went around telling people that I intentionally hit her and also that I was abusive to my wife.

Sue the poo poo out of the goddamn creepy freak & his sister for defending him then lying about it. Dude deserved WAY more than a punch for cornering OP's wife & friend like that.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Kurieg posted:

AITA for telling my family I will move and they will never see me or my daughter again if they don't stop trying to set me up?

The bolded bit made me recoil from my monitor, Jesus Christ.

God this one broke my heart. I hope this guy can get to a point where he can still have his memories of his wife without being bogged down by grief. Awful that his family thinks they can just bully him into moving on, how can they possibly expect that to work?

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

sorry for the double post but I've just found a "in Europe this is normal" in the wild

AITA for kicking out my brother in law’s partner after he wore mesh speedos (you could see everything) to a family beach trip?

quote:

Recently we had a big family beach day. I went with my wife, my 10 year old daughter and 8 year old son. My older brother also brought his wife and two kids, both girls 11 and 9. Initially it was supposed to just be us, but then brother in law and his partner really wanted to come, I told them they would be bored as our beach day is gonna be kid oriented, but brother in law insisted. Brother in law is in his early 30s call him Rob and his partner who is 42 call him Steve.

When we go to into the water, Steve is wearing this mesh speedo, that looks more like male lingerie than swim wear. I pull him to the side and I am like Steve do you have something more family friendly. He is like what’s wrong with this? I am like Steve can you just run to Target or one of the shops on the board walk, I’ll Venmo you however much it costs to get a new swim trunk. Steve then gets Rob and then says I am being a diva.

I am like guys please I got little kids. Rob looks over to Steve in a way that is like come on Steve but then Rob starts yelling at me. And Rob is like, in Europe it’s perfectly normal to go to nude beaches, and he says that it’s good for kids to open their eyes and not live in a homophobic bubble. I am like no not at all, I don’t want my daughters seeing this either, and it’s not appropriate this is a beach with families and young kids. My wife comes over and tries to talk to Rob but nothing happens.

I end up getting the rest of my family and brother’s and I say we are going to a new beach. Rob starts saying don’t do this we are all family, it’s really not a big deal we are gonna be in the water in most of the time. I don’t say anything and just get into the car. 

This incident has really messed up the family. Steve especially hates me. He thinks I am homophobic and that I am raising my kids to be the same. 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
"you're homophobic if you don't want to see my dick" sure is some sort of a philosophy.