Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I bought a fancy component cable for my PS2.

And a stupid amount of games for various things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
It might be a shock, but I bought another guitar

Phased Systems D'Mini Explorer, made in Japan in the 80s. Set neck, transparent cherry finish. 16-3/8" scale(Gibson scale capo'd at the 7th fret). Gotoh humbuckers, volume/volume/tone, 3 way mini-toggle, and it's original case.

In need of strings and a setup, maybe a new nut. It just kind of ridiculous.

And next to a normal size Explorer for those not familiar

widefault has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Aug 9, 2023

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

widefault posted:

It might be a shock, but I bought another guitar

Phased Systems D'Mini Explorer, made in Japan in the 80s. Set neck, transparent cherry finish. 16-3/8" scale(Gibson scale capo'd at the 7th fret). Gotoh humbuckers, volume/volume/tone, 3 way mini-toggle, and it's original case.

In need of strings and a setup, maybe a new nut. It just kind of ridiculous.

And next to a normal size Explorer for those not familiar

What I would love to see is this in place of one of those mini backpacking acoustic guitars - chilling by the campfire and you busy it out shredding on some tiny amp LOL

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Bought a sticker for my car, SF = Suomi Finland, or jokingly, Soviet Finland as people used to say.

To be put on the car when travelling outside Finland in europe, when you have old pre-eu license plates like on my car. And actually the SF is obsolete and is replaced by FIN. But the police even twittered and said they don't care if you use the old SF signage. So I'm doing that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Are you sure it isn't for "San Francisco".

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

withak posted:

Are you sure it isn't for "San Francisco".

Pretty sure it's for "Santa Fe."

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

tribbledirigible posted:

Pretty sure it's for "Santa Fe."

But who was saint fe

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I had a chance to (maybe) get a new Aeron at cost during early covid since my friend’s sister works for Herman Miller, but she didn’t reply the couple times I DMd, and it seems like after the Knoll merger they’ve cracked down on extra discounts. HM and DWR have a 20% sale on gaming, plus my Capital One card giving 8% bonus cash back on DWR means it’ll never be cheaper.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What makes it a “gaming edition”?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Literally just the color.

It comes in a blacker black than normal black.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s honestly better than I feared.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Just like jeans or relic'd guitars. Comes pre-stain and pre-stenched from the Aeron custom shop.
That'll be $6999 sir and congratulations on your excellent taste!

Looks like a very nice chair

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

What makes it a “gaming edition”?

“Emo Edition” didn’t market test as well

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I would have preferred getting it in the light grey but that’s normally $250 more plus it wasn’t part of the gaming sale. The gaming edition has all the upgrades I wanted anyway, so it’s a no brainer to save $600 to get black instead of light grey.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

I had a chance to (maybe) get a new Aeron at cost during early covid since my friend’s sister works for Herman Miller, but she didn’t reply the couple times I DMd, and it seems like after the Knoll merger they’ve cracked down on extra discounts. HM and DWR have a 20% sale on gaming, plus my Capital One card giving 8% bonus cash back on DWR means it’ll never be cheaper.

Enjoy!

My Aeron is up there with LASIK, for the absolute best “expensive, technically unnecessary” purchases.

People sit in it and don’t get why it’s so expensive. They expect that for the price, it should feel like a cushy recliner or something.

As a computer toucher, there is no chair I have found that is even close to as comfortable for hours on end.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
And the drat things last, too. Mine is over 15 years old at this point and still going strong.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Josh Lyman posted:

Enjoy, I got my Embody HM back in march and it's been such a great investment:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

That’s honestly better than I feared.

RGBs are life.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Doom Rooster posted:

People sit in it and don’t get why it’s so expensive. They expect that for the price, it should feel like a cushy recliner or something.

As a computer toucher, there is no chair I have found that is even close to as comfortable for hours on end.

2nding this. Got a lightly used aeron for ~$500 at the height of the pandemic. Over the next month all my back issues faded.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
if you sit for a living, aeron is the only chair you should ever consider buying. if you live in a city, you can often find lightly used ones that you can inspect personally (and pick the best one from) at office liquidators for 400-500$

all the parts that wear out can be replaced. should last basically forever. accept no substitute

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Personally I found the Aeron to be very uncomfortable, as a somewhat fat dude. I've had a made in 1999 Steelcase Leap for about 10 years now and it's been the best chair I've ever owned, all of its parts are also replaceable and I will probably do the seat and back pads soon. I also picked up an Embody as a potential replacement for my Leap a few years back but it was also uncomfortable for me. I do tend to sit cross-legged in my chairs so that probably has a lot to do with it.

I just ordered parts for a new PC last night using my year-end bonus money, I'll probably regret the RTX 4090 but it's just money, right?! RGB overload let's go!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pTvgsh

Shartweek has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Aug 17, 2023

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Coolnezzz posted:

Personally I found the Aeron to be very uncomfortable, as a somewhat fat dude. I've had a made in 1999 Steelcase Leap for about 10 years now and it's been the best chair I've ever owned, all of its parts are also replaceable and I will probably do the seat and back pads soon. I also picked up an Embody as a potential replacement for my Leap a few years back but it was also uncomfortable for me. I do tend to sit cross-legged in my chairs so that probably has a lot to do with it.

I just ordered parts for a new PC last night using my year-end bonus money, I'll probably regret the RTX 4090 but it's just money, right?! RGB overload let's go!

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/coolnezzz/saved/fTmZQ7

I thought maybe you just needed the size C Aeron as a bigger guy, but then got to the sitting cross-legged part, and yeah… I do not foresee that being comfortable in any HM design. Glad you love your Steelcase! Also a quality chair.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Aeron is considered mildly out of date, they keep selling it because of its reputation and it’s still plenty good. Their newer models are meant to be improvements on it though.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Desk chair thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243.

Ideally try it out before you buy and the localish dealer might give you better prices.

Duck and Cover has a new favorite as of 19:25 on Aug 18, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah I got a high-end desk chair from a local Canadian place because I wanted to try it out first and have easier recourse in case of needing service. Trying it in a showroom isn’t really that informative as to how it’ll feel in extended use, so look for a good return policy as well. (These chairs suck to pack and ship.)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

The Aeron is considered mildly out of date, they keep selling it because of its reputation and it’s still plenty good. Their newer models are meant to be improvements on it though.
I have a classic Aeron at work and spent a bunch of time trying the Aeron and Embody side by side in-store over the past week. They were both comfy but I went with the Aeron for some small reasons plus one big reason: the mesh breathability to prevent swamp rear end during extended coding/gaming sessions.

The point being, you can start with a list of chairs that people say are good but ultimately you must see if they work for YOU.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

The Embody is amazing for my fat rear end

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I got two new-to-me chairs wrapped in metal.

My son is finally old enough to do autocross and I got him a cheap cone-killer earlier this year. This one is for me so I don’t ruin my everyday car.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Nice! That wasn't the prettiest model of Miata but the drat things are bulletproof

I still lust for a POP UP HEADLIGHTS version with lsd and turbo 1.6

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I ordered one of those mini recliner swivel chairs (sans ottoman) to use as a computer chair, we'll see how long it takes my fat rear end to destroy it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a classic Aeron at work and spent a bunch of time trying the Aeron and Embody side by side in-store over the past week. They were both comfy but I went with the Aeron for some small reasons plus one big reason: the mesh breathability to prevent swamp rear end during extended coding/gaming sessions.

The point being, you can start with a list of chairs that people say are good but ultimately you must see if they work for YOU.

I never got my Embody to be comfortable to me no matter how much I fiddled with adjustments. I like my Gesture though.

Duck and Cover has a new favorite as of 09:03 on Aug 19, 2023

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Another satisfied steel case leap owner. Bought mine refurbished for ~$500 a few months after Covid hit and very happy with the purchase (although I kind of wish I’d gotten the headrest to go with it).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I got a refurb Steelcase Think for WFH when covid hit. It's good and very adjustable and I found a comfortable position for me, but somehow the Mirra 2 at work fits me a bit better I think. The moral of the story is to test them out with your own body first if possible.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I recently refurbed a couple of iPod Classics, and was looking for something fun to do with them next. I went to a flea market, and happened to come across this:

A Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air, a once upon a time $799 iPod dock speaker. Cost me $20, and in addition to the ancient iPod dock, it still works with modern AirPlay. A new power lead, a little cleaning, and it looks and sounds amazing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Very nice find.

I bought a Mac Mini so I could help out with Awful.app again, and maybe set it up so that other would-be devs can remotely access it if they don’t have a Mac.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I knew motherboard prices were getting up there, but $450 is insane.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

:eyepop: $1800 for just the video card holy poo poo.

It's been about 10-12 years since I built this computer, looks like I'm never replacing it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Normal builds don't cost that much.

He's buying the high end stuff 99% of users don't need.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
That's a cool update to pcpartpicker where they show you all the ports and stuff. That is what I always struggle with if I can't see it laid out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Built a new computer recently:

Someone hit and totaled our old car when it was parked on the street overnight so was forced to buy a new one (thank god used car prices are inflated, got a great value from insurance for the old one)

Got very lucky and someone had to give up their spot in line the day we went to look, heard horror stories out of Canada of 6-12+ month waits