Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lobok posted:

Can you just email fanfic to a prison in general? Like nobody in particular, "To Whom it May Concern." And if anybody likes your Jiren-Toppo ships they can write back and be your beta reader slash (pun intended) copy editor slash (pun intended) penpal?
The best part is, whether it's being emailed or snail mailed in, some guard is also probably having to read the One Piece fan fiction to make sure it's not an escape plan or something.

Sorry this post isn't about cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Blue Moonlight posted:

I think I’m the target demographic for the touchscreens because I just set the climate stuff to my desired temperature on auto when I get in the car and operate the volume/next track/previous track from the steering wheel.

I think back to my folks’ ‘90 Fort Taurus wagon that had this tape deck in it, and do wonder a bit if the other extreme was really much safer:

Though the warning label on the cup holders was hilarious:

me when the store only has pepsi

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
It was all downhill when we moved away from full keyboard phones

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Also everywhere else. And every other form of touch switch while we're at it. You know what's great? Buttons and switches that you can feel and that actually move when you press them so you can tell that you've done it, and that actually work close to 100% of the time. You should be able to operate almost any device you're familiar with without looking at it.

Theoretically touchscreens in cars shouldn't be a problem because you shouldn't be using the controls while driving anyway. If a song comes on that you don't like, and you don't have a passenger to do something about it, you put up with it.

But given that people absolutely will use those controls while driving, even if they're touch controls that you can't possibly operate by feel, obviously they should be quick and easy to use without looking so drivers are distracted for the least possible amount of time. Or they should just stop working while the car's in motion so you have to pull over to make any changes - but that's not going to happen.

Is it that unusual to have song/volume controls on the wheel? My not particularly fancy 2018 car has those, I thought they were standard.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Car manufacturers are now starting to make the buttons on the wheel touch buttons :suicide:

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Head On Collision: Apply Directly to Forehead.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That guy from the crucible but he's asking for more screens

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tiggum posted:

Also everywhere else. And every other form of touch switch while we're at it. You know what's great? Buttons and switches that you can feel and that actually move when you press them so you can tell that you've done it, and that actually work close to 100% of the time. You should be able to operate almost any device you're familiar with without looking at it.

Putting my order through the McDonald's self-serve kiosk after they abandon the touchscreens:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Lobok posted:

Putting my order through the McDonald's self-serve kiosk after they abandon the touchscreens:

I want this so much. How this was stolen from us. Thank you you made me sad

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Make the ordering process involve at least one (1) crank or dial or no deal imo

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I know McDonald's doesn't/can't really market toward children any more, but you can't tell me that kids wouldn't absolutely love turning big cranks and pulling levers to place their order.

Kids can also be in their thirties shut up

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I want this so much. How this was stolen from us. Thank you you made me sad

It seems cool until Doreen says she wanted a Coke Zero, not a Diet Coke, so now you're sweating bullets trying to replace that particular punchcard in the Beverage Matrix with a line-up behind you!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Lobok posted:

It seems cool until Doreen says she wanted a Coke Zero, not a Diet Coke, so now you're sweating bullets trying to replace that particular punchcard in the Beverage Matrix with a line-up behind you!

Thats not a problem at all, Doreen simply gets to ride the customer service chute down to the clown machine where her issues can be dealt with. Very nice.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

projecthalaxy posted:

Sounds like this is the handheld game console for you. It still (still) isn’t out, but it does have a crank. https://shop.play.date/

E: oh I guess it got released but they’re on back order now.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

projecthalaxy posted:

If playground rumours are to be believed , the creation of McDonald's thickshakes does involve cranking at one part of the process.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

It’s pretty simple. I’ve driven shitboxes from the 90s, so-so used from the 2000/2010s, and now we’ve driven two brand new vehicles in a row - civic hatch and a Subaru ascent.

In every objective measure, newer cars are safer for the occupants and more fuel efficient, etc etc. more comfortable and so on.

Subjectively, obviously that’s not really up for debate because goddamn those 90s shitboxes had that je n’ai c’est pas that only an old shitbox car has.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1689969006910861312

Oh wouldn't you know it he would LOVE to fight but he can't because DOCTORS well maybe in a few months

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I know he's just making excuses but it's fun to imagine this is all the result of his first attempt at training for it

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The fight is on https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1689963696703848449?t=yKXmXat6FFTfy1ka-kJJvQ&s=19

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm currently driving a 2013 ford focus, the most cursed of cars. The transmission is all lovely, one time my car shifted into neutral on the interstate. There was a class action lawsuit because someone's car shifted into gear while stopped at a red light and lurched them into traffic.

but on the plus side, no touch screens. Gonna drive it until it costs more to repair than replace.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm concerned that such an event might disrepsect the past and present of Italy.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

All proceeds will got to veterans though.

veterans of the meme wars :elon:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's literally trying to set it up in the colosseum huh

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Think he'll pull a Commodus from Gladiator and shank Mark before the start of the fight?

https://i.gifer.com/9HGX.mp4

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I expect he'll show up with that stupid Tesla flamethrower toy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Since he didn't accidentally sign an agreement to do the fight, it's not going to happen. Zuck is 15 years younger than him and has become addicted to MMA training, Elon is a sedentary 53 year old loser whose never done a day's honest work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

zoux posted:

Since he didn't accidentally sign an agreement to do the fight, it's not going to happen. Zuck is 15 years younger than him and has become addicted to MMA training, Elon is a sedentary 53 year old loser whose never done a day's honest work.

Yeah but he keeps making terrible decisions and has an army of weird online dudes who think he will personally shoot lasers out of his eyes and then levitate his way to mars after the fight.

So the complete lack of suitability might not be an obstacle.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lowtax fought Uwe Boll.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

if you missed it, Zuck was roasting Musk the other day

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also yes this is like the weird online dude monomyth, he must fight, he must have the spine fund, he must die by his own hand.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A boxing match is so unbelievably boring. Like just think of how many BILLIONS of dollars these guys are worth and all they're going to do is punch each other with their own hands.

Where are the exo suits? Or can they not fight on the moon? Why not buy some weather machines and have a tornado duel? What about firing Vulcan cannons but instead of 5000 bullets per minute they use gold coins or first editions of classic books?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They should just do the Deerhunter

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The most likely "fight" between these two is a competition to see how many poors they can bag with a crossbow on their secret hunting preserve

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

in case anyone didn’t know

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lobok posted:

It's all picking stuff from menus. I'm pretty sure we can handle that without the need for touchscreens. Arrow keys and buttons for select and cancel should just about do the trick. Like ATMs have, except you don't even need the numpad.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tiggum posted:

It's all picking stuff from menus. I'm pretty sure we can handle that without the need for touchscreens. Arrow keys and buttons for select and cancel should just about do the trick. Like ATMs have, except you don't even need the numpad.

I'd prefer to connect my PS5 controller so I can pull off some stylish meal combos.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Tiggum posted:

hard to order 100 corncobs with no numpad

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

King Carnivore posted:

hard to order 100 corncobs with no numpad

that's what the crank is for

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

I expect he'll show up with that stupid Tesla flamethrower toy

The Model 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

If only, before the invention of touchscreens, there was some other way to order food.