Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many of this month's B-league main eventers do you recognize without googling?
This poll is closed.
Logan Storley 16 9.20%
Brennan Ward 17 9.77%
Chingiz Allazov 13 7.47%
Marat Grigorian 7 4.02%
Bubba Jenkins 21 12.07%
Jesus Pinedo 4 2.30%
Renan Ferreira 7 4.02%
Maurice Greene 24 13.79%
Clay Collard 22 12.64%
Shane Burgos 43 24.71%
Total: 46 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
derrick lewis's last performance was all-time. i'm so glad i tuned in to see that. he is a fantastic fight fan's fighter. previous to this his high water mark was a million fights ago back in 2018 where alexander volkov beat the poo poo out of lewis for 2.9 rounds before lewis shut his lights out in the closing seconds. and he had the decency to lose to mark hunt. 10/10 no notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
ONE Friday Morning Fights in about 25 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUbe8fi6BNI

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Who did this dude piss off to get matched up with this uzbek, holy poo poo

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
yea he got just mauled for like what 13 minutes or something? Had nothing but toughness and that doesn't win one a fight like that.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Man these first few muay thai fights really feel like the non-thai fighters are kind of set up to fail, I mean it's not like rigged or anything, they all physically have chance/opportunity to do well, but this fight against a 19 year old Italian dude went pretty much exactly how you'd expect, I suspect the next 3 are gonna be pretty similar.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
god drat you know the knockdown was hard when you can hear the thud of his head bouncing off the mat

coathat
May 21, 2007

Insane morning of fights

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
u wanna see people get hosed for free

https://twitter.com/Matysek88/status/1690061161977257984?t=z04vAPClv39Klev0WuhUqA&s=19

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

lmfao at least it’s only 6 minutes these corpses need to shuffle around for

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what the gently caress

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

is kimo leopaldo booked

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

STONE COLD 64 posted:

is kimo leopaldo booked

No, but would you accept tiki carrying a cross instead?

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

That fight is great news! (Because it made me realize Oleg Takturov is still alive)

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kinda weird optics booking a communist against a dude who's people were genocided by commies but that's the MMA world I guess.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Taktarov used to be my favourite fighter when I rented early ufc on tape as a child in the 90s. This is very sad.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

if anyone wants to see a worse fight than rose - esparza turn on bellator immediately

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

COPE 27 posted:

if anyone wants to see a worse fight than rose - esparza turn on bellator immediately

I couldn't find it - was it hte Justine Kish one?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I couldn't find it - was it hte Justine Kish one?

yup

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I watched some of it. The average UFC heavyweight fight is way worse than that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If you want to go into the archives and see a really dogshit bad fight go watch Maryna Moroz vs Danielle Taylor. There are levels to this poo poo.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this bellator card is the worst mma card i have seen all year.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

LobsterMobster posted:

:siren:

Bellator 298 - Friday, August 11

Bellator is back for their only August event. Let’s see if there’s any reason to watch it.

On the overloaded prelims, we’ve got a pair of collegiate wrestlers making their pro debuts against some guys who are a combined 0-5. Who wouldn’t want to say they saw the first fight in the career of a future legend like Mike Block House and or the 33-year old Jordan Oliver, who lost to Aaron Pico on the national wrestling stage.

There are a slew of young prospects looking to make a good impression by beating up middling opposition with middling records.

Prelim advice: Wait about 90 minutes, then start watching at 1.5x speed and for the love of god, skip the desk segments with Josh Thomson.

Main card features some slightly more recognizable names. SIdney Outlaw, fresh off getting booted from the Lightweight Grand Prix for doin’ drugs is in action against scary Dagestan grappler Islam Mamedov.

Bellator’s original hope for their own McGregor, James “What the gently caress is a ‘Strabanimal’ anyway?” Gallagher returns after two years of not fighting to fight a guy who is 10-6. James Gonzalez most recently lost a decision to Aaron Pico, so at least he didn’t get finished!

There’s also a heavyweight clash as Valentin Moldavsky takes on Steve Mowry in a rematch from last year. That bout ended in 54 seconds due to an accidental eye poke, so let’s hope this one has a more definitive outcome.

The main event sees former interim Welterweight champ Logan Storley take on hard punchin Brennan Ward. Can Ward defend against Storley’s wrestling onslaught long enough to land some devastating blows? Probably not!

Main card advice: The main event is probably not going to be good. Sure, Ward has a Puncher’s Chance and Every Round Starts Standing, but he likely will get a grand total of 20 seconds to strike for the entire fight. And it ain’t like Storley is a great submission artist or ground and pound threat.

The BeefBoiz matchup could be good as both guys are in mildly good shape, so it probably won’t turn into a horrendous slog. I’m also a Tall Steve Mowry fan, so I’m hoping he has a good performance.

The rest of the main card feels like matchmaking with one very specific intended outcome. Undefeated Dalton Rosta, James Gallagher and Islam Mamedov are all facing lesser opposition. So, you know, if you want to see those guys presumably steamroll, go for it.

everything i said is wrong

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

everything i said is wrong

writing about mma events-to-come lets you enjoy an aspect of betting on mma without betting on mma.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
At one point I had plans to write an MMA blog. I wrote up my predictions for the Whittaker/Brunson card (Whittaker's middleweight debut) as a practice article, to get my eye in. I got literally every fight wrong and abandoned the idea, preferring private embarassment to public.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

At one point I had plans to write an MMA blog. I wrote up my predictions for the Whittaker/Brunson card (Whittaker's middleweight debut) as a practice article, to get my eye in. I got literally every fight wrong and abandoned the idea, preferring private embarassment to public.

if you could achieve that level of incompetence consistently, I would follow your blog religiously and sleep in money.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

As someone whose fight prediction percentage has gone measurably down since he started writing longform MMA poo poo: You must embrace the void of chaos at the heart of the sport. Also, nothing is better than when you pick someone for a dumb reason like "the other guy is better in every way but my heartsong sings for Guido Cannetti" and then they smash the poo poo out of someone.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Predictions tend to be more accurate when you don't put them somewhere verifiable

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4039192

Luque/dos Anjos GDT is up. Prelims in 20-30 minutes pending dead air.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Predictions in sport is always hard. It's why we watch it as much as anything. I never judge anyone too badly for taking a stance rather than getting splinters in their rear end going "oh well maybe if this then this" kinda bullshit.

I actually quite enjoy the way sometimes I completely disagree with someone elses prediction because it's kinda fun to be proven wrong like I was when Pantera won the title.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

monson looked to me at first like fedor and then my brain filled in that fedor was retired, so then the next thought was "the old guy from metallica's 'enter sandman' music video" and was then surprised to read monson's name

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

BlindSite posted:

Predictions in sport is always hard. It's why we watch it as much as anything. I never judge anyone too badly for taking a stance rather than getting splinters in their rear end going "oh well maybe if this then this" kinda bullshit.

I actually quite enjoy the way sometimes I completely disagree with someone elses prediction because it's kinda fun to be proven wrong like I was when Pantera won the title.

my current avatar is probably my favourite because it reminds me constantly that taking strong stances is rad and it entertains people whether you're extremely wrong (me) or extremely right (jase, rip).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Marching Powder posted:

my current avatar is probably my favourite because it reminds me constantly that taking strong stances is rad and it entertains people whether you're extremely wrong (me) or extremely right (jase, rip).
I actually don’t know what that Rogan reaction is from, but someone spliced it with Costa’s nut shot on Rockhold and I can’t imagine anything else.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 13, 2023

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Shumagorath posted:

I actually don’t know what that Rogan reaction is from, but someone spliced i with Costa’s nut shot on Rockhold and I can’t imagine anything else.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

PFL Playoffs

Oh boy, we got beefbois and lorj ladies! But before we look at the playoff bracket, let’s see what PFL has cooking on the prelims.

It’s doodoo feces from a butt. This is putrid.

Louie “The Vanilla Gorilla” Sutherland can’t even get his own nickname and has to take Chase Sherman’s, which is just sad, man. Louie has one win on his record over a guy who isn’t fully terrible. He’s facing Daiqwon Buckley, and if I were him, I’d go by “The Radish”. His previous level of competition is also pretty lackluster.

Kaytlin “Katniss” Neil is taking on Maira Mazar, who is on a two-fight losing streak and has really only beat up Brazilian cans.

Danilo Marques took his 2-2 UFC record to PFL and went 2-1. He’s facing Croatia’s second favorite son, Satoshi Ishii. For some reason, the Olympic judoka has been having kickboxing matches the last few years, because I guess Satoshi doesn’t want to enter a combat sport where he’s got any kind of skill advantage.

Abraham Bably with his 3-0 record against Some Guys is taking on Hamilton Tiger-Cats legend Anthony Wint (I can neither confirm nor deny if this is Twitter user Dril)

Chris Mixan is facing Eddy George, but it’s not the former running back, which is a disappointment. George is 6-1 in MMA and has had 6 bouts canceled due to his opponents withdrawing. This fight might not even happen!

Prelim advice: Don’t watch this. There might be some quick finishes, but unless you are a registered Satoshi Ishii Aficionado, there’s no reason to tune in. Nothing of consequence will happen, no new information will be gleaned from these fights.

Ok, that was pretty bad. Let’s see how that main card looks.

Well, we begin with Nate Kelly taking on Damion Nelson. Nelson is 4-3 with one stoppage victory. Kelly is 7-2 with 3 TKO and 3 sub wins, and he’s a SBG Ireland guy, so he is now my enemy.

Women’s Featherweight has a standard 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 set up. Marina Mokhnatkina takes on Amber Leibrock. Leibrock had a cool head kick KO to start her PFL run, but then she got Pacheco’d. Mokhnatkina has a ground and pound stoppage plus a decision win to get the number two spot. This should come down to Leibrock’s ability to keep the fight standing.

Larissa Pacheco faces Olena Kolesnyk. Kolesnyk took two decisions to squeak into the 4 seed. She’s previously been Pacheco’d in 2021 and 2022. Larissa went to her third ever decision win against Julia Budd, and then proceeded to Pacheco Amber Leibrock. For reference, to Pacheco an opponent is to obliterate them in one round, usually inside of 3 minutes. Expect Olena to get Pacheco’d again for 2023.

Men’s Heavyweight has had a slight shakeup as Marcelo Nunes had to withdraw, allowing Maurice Greene to swoop in. First up, we have #1 seed Denis Goltsov taking on Jordan Heiderman. Despite several issues with visas and opponent changes, Goltsov scored two first round knockouts in the regular season to clinch the top spot. Jordan Heiderman is here because his opponent’s knee exploded. He’s gonna get hit in the face and neck and chest and torso very hard for around 3 minutes before he falls over.

Renan Ferreira took the #2 seed thanks to a 50-second KO after his decision loss to Rizvan Kuniev was overturned because shockingly, a PFL heavyweight failed a drug test. Greene punched out Marcelo Nunes for a Fast Five Finish, but then lost to Ante Delija. Fortunately for most of the other heavyweights, Delija only had one fight in the 2023 regular season, and the Greene fight went to a decision, leaving him without enough points to qualify. This fight will come down to Greene’s ability to take down Ferreira and not get obliterated as he tries to accomplish said takedowns. Ferreira, for all his scary striking prowess, has shown roughly negative ground skills.

Main card advice: The tournament bouts should be fine. Hopefully they don’t last too long. Remember, when it comes to the biggest weight classes, we aren’t here for a good fight, we’re here for a short fight.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

LobsterMobster posted:

Prelim advice: Don’t watch this. There might be some quick finishes, but unless you are a registered Satoshi Ishii Aficionado, there’s no reason to tune in.

i don't appreciate being called out like this, I don't mind telling you

Thank you because I genuinely cannot read a PFL prelim card without my eyes just completely glazing over.

Also, Mario Bautista has a new opponent four days before this weekend's card, and it is...Da'Mon Blackshear, who just fought last weekend. I hate this poo poo.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

This was both informative and very funny, thanks!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CarlCX posted:

i don't appreciate being called out like this, I don't mind telling you

Thank you because I genuinely cannot read a PFL prelim card without my eyes just completely glazing over.

Also, Mario Bautista has a new opponent four days before this weekend's card, and it is...Da'Mon Blackshear, who just fought last weekend. I hate this poo poo.

Hey, I'm the forum's #1 Tall Steve Mowry freakazoid, I have no place to judge anyone for their b-league heavyweight peccadilloes

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm not knowledgeable enough to provide any breakdown on any of these

We also have ONE's Friday Morning fights

Glory Kickboxing has a card Saturday.

And, KSW also has a Saturday show

KSW put out some good promo videos for the main and comain; both title fights

Main for the feathweight title Salahdine Parnasse (c) vs Robert Ruchała
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAPParfHrxE

Co-main for the light heavyweight title Ibragim Chuzhigaev (c) vs Bohdan Gnidko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJtZr8sLKMo

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://i.imgur.com/t9UBbTp.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

that's about as good as that barboza one when it comes to a guy getting hit with an invisible mallet