Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Also RIP to Mark Margolis who played Apgar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
By Apgar's wave generator…(sighs)…what an episode.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

CPColin posted:

By Apgar's wave generator…(sighs)…what an episode.

it gets copied pretty much wholesale for a voyager episode too

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also RIP to Mark Margolis who played Apgar

"You're a dead man, Apgar. A dead man." :smith:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I definitely see unhinged Janeway in my full series run. One episode she'll be risking the lives of her entire crew to violate the prime directive to save some refugees and in others she lets bad stuff happen because of the PD. Then sometimes she's super conservative momma bear about the crew.

I thought one of the worst examples was The Swarm where she almost gets everyone killed by violating territorial sovereignty to cut a whopping 15 months off a multi decade journey. The ship keeps finding random stuff that cuts a decade off the journey so any direction vaguely towards the alpha quadrant is equally valid. Like what are the odds they'd find that lone dude making the catapult in The Voyager Conspiracy? For all they know they passed three equivalent phenomenoa without seeing them before you stumbled onto that guy!

For all the inconsistent writing, Mulgrew sells the hell out of every line.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Lowen SoDium posted:

What is everyone's favorite Kira hair style?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cenotaph posted:

I definitely see unhinged Janeway in my full series run. One episode she'll be risking the lives of her entire crew to violate the prime directive to save some refugees and in others she lets bad stuff happen because of the PD. Then sometimes she's super conservative momma bear about the crew.

I thought one of the worst examples was The Swarm where she almost gets everyone killed by violating territorial sovereignty to cut a whopping 15 months off a multi decade journey. The ship keeps finding random stuff that cuts a decade off the journey so any direction vaguely towards the alpha quadrant is equally valid. Like what are the odds they'd find that lone dude making the catapult in The Voyager Conspiracy? For all they know they passed three equivalent phenomenoa without seeing them before you stumbled onto that guy!

For all the inconsistent writing, Mulgrew sells the hell out of every line.

The writers don't swap from "random chance to get home right now" to "good chance to cut a large chunk off the distance" until "The Gift" which comes after "The Swarm." They hadn't found any of that random stuff yet.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Arivia posted:

The writers don't swap from "random chance to get home right now" to "good chance to cut a large chunk off the distance" until "The Gift" which comes after "The Swarm." They hadn't found any of that random stuff yet.

Prime Factors is season one but the aliens were just assholes. The tech would have got them about halfway home.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DesperateDan posted:

it gets copied pretty much wholesale for a voyager episode too

That's not how I remember it

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Yesterday's Enterprise then. A great one indeed. I went into it cold, knowing only the reputation and the vague notion of them stumbling across the Enterprise C, I didn't know about all the alt universe stuff and I most certainly didn't know about Tasha's place in the story, which is a full on heart crusher. It's very nice that it lays its cards out on the table very early in the episode, not dancing around the fact that the C and its crew need to be sent back to their doom. Which gives us a lot more time to spend with Tasha and her horrifying conundrum. Poor old Captain Garrett! Yeah, that really was a beaut. Some exciting spectacle too.

So, coming off the back of BESTEST STAR TREK EPISODE EVER, with all its power and heartbreaking inevitability, the next episode has got to be a step down, right? Well. Maybe I was just getting softened up for the knockout punch.

The Offspring loving ruined me. Full bawling. Jesus Christ.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Those two are a fantastic one-two punch

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Let's make sure history never forgets... the name... 'Enterprise'.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm partial to: "That'll be the day" and the hop over the tactical console. Picard had some pretty badass moments.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm partial to: "That'll be the day" and the hop over the tactical console. Picard had some pretty badass moments.

That's who Patrick Stewart always wanted to play, and it felt like the movies and beyond were him just transitioning to that character.

Too bad it's a poo poo character compared to the much more compelling Picard.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

ashpanash posted:

That's who Patrick Stewart always wanted to play, and it felt like the movies and beyond were him just transitioning to that character.

Too bad it's a poo poo character compared to the much more compelling Picard.

In small doses, I don't mind badass Picard. But you're right that he kicks the most rear end when he's in a courtroom (or his Ready Room) ripping someone a new hole.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

In small doses, I don't mind badass Picard. But you're right that he kicks the most rear end when he's in a courtroom (or his Ready Room) ripping someone a new hole.

Yeah, Picard's at his best when he's the smart guy who surprises you with how badass he actually is. Not the badass who surprises you with how smart he is, that's Kirk.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve got a couple Andorian and Denobulan major NPCs in my new Star Trek Adventures campaign, so I’m doing a light Enterprise rewatch as a refresher.

Watched Demons/Terra Prime (still great) and decided “gently caress it why not” and let it roll into TATV. It’s still horrible garbage but I will point out four small positives:

- Shran
- Showing T’Pol as being way more informal and “human” after 10 years on the ship was a great choice that I assume had to come from a suggestion by Blalock herself
- Shran’s daughter telling Archer “Thanks, pinkskin :haw:” is kinda funny
- Archer and T’Pol grieving over Trip is a good scene

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Trip got done so dirty. What a shame

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kesper North posted:

Trip got done so dirty. What a shame

Seriously. How do you kill off arguably your best character in a zero stakes scene 15 minutes before the end of your finale?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Seriously. How do you kill off arguably your best character in a zero stakes scene 15 minutes before the end of your finale?

All the more reason to pretend that either These Are The Voyages... isn't canon, or that the Enterprise relaunch novels are.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Given what the newer shows have been pulling and canonizing from all the novels, I’m already assuming the whole “Trip faked his death to help S31 influence the coming Romulan War” thing is implicit canon and it’s only a matter of time before Lower Decks or something references it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Given what the newer shows have been pulling and canonizing from all the novels, I’m already assuming the whole “Trip faked his death to help S31 influence the coming Romulan War” thing is implicit canon and it’s only a matter of time before Lower Decks or something references it.

He did what

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

It’s been a while since I’ve read the novels, but basically the books lay out that the holoprogram Riker watched was a coverup and that in reality Trip faked his death in 2155/56 with Archer, Reed, and Phlox’s help and basically became a hesitant agent for Section 31, helping them do covert poo poo on Romulus to prepare for the inevitable war with the Romulans in 2161ish.

Like iirc they actually surgically altered him to look Romulan and dropped him on Romulus with a fake family to do industrial espionage on Romulan military tech.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the only man qualified to do espionage in the strategic Romulan province, Fl'orda.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s been a while since I’ve read the novels, but basically the books lay out that the holoprogram Riker watched was a coverup and that in reality Trip faked his death in 2155/56 with Archer, Reed, and Phlox’s help and basically became a hesitant agent for Section 31, helping them do covert poo poo on Romulus to prepare for the inevitable war with the Romulans in 2161ish.

Like iirc they actually surgically altered him to look Romulan and dropped him on Romulus with a fake family to do industrial espionage on Romulan military tech.

The Star Trek: Titan novels start with a similar plot beat. It's a retelling of the prologue of Nemesis from the POV of a Starfleet Intelligence officer who's either a full blooded Vulcan posing as a Romulan or a human who's been surgically altered, the book is kind of unclear, who meets with Spock and his reunification cell right before Shinzon whacks the entire Senate.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That's crazy.

I'd think Trip would think S31 is too much like the people who cloned up a baby out of him and T'pol's DNA to go along with any of that.

And yeah, Trip is not someone I'd choose for that job. Better to go with a a Hawaiian xeno-anthropologist who at least knows how to pronounce mnhei'sahe ("The Romulan Way", Diane Duane)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kesper North posted:

That's crazy.

I'd think Trip would think S31 is too much like the people who cloned up a baby out of him and T'pol's DNA to go along with any of that.

And yeah, Trip is not someone I'd choose for that job. Better to go with a a Hawaiian xeno-anthropologist who at least knows how to pronounce mnhei'sahe ("The Romulan Way", Diane Duane)

I can’t remember what it was that swayed him to do it, but I’m pretty sure S31 sought him out in particular because he’s Earth’s leading warp engine guy at the time.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

If it gets brought into the canon they can just change it to regular starfleet intelligence. Not that they will.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

MuddyFunster posted:

Yesterday's Enterprise then. A great one indeed. I went into it cold, knowing only the reputation and the vague notion of them stumbling across the Enterprise C, I didn't know about all the alt universe stuff and I most certainly didn't know about Tasha's place in the story, which is a full on heart crusher. It's very nice that it lays its cards out on the table very early in the episode, not dancing around the fact that the C and its crew need to be sent back to their doom. Which gives us a lot more time to spend with Tasha and her horrifying conundrum. Poor old Captain Garrett! Yeah, that really was a beaut. Some exciting spectacle too.

Their big mistake was not saving that concept to use with the original crew for the first movie instead of what we got with Generations, as they themselves realized.

Ronald D. Moore posted:

“I wish we did this as the plot for Generations,” Moore says, referencing the first Star Trek feature film featuring The Next Generation crew that he co-wrote with Brannon Braga. “If we hadn’t have done that episode, then [the movie] would have been the Enterprise-A coming through that wormhole, and you’d have Spock and Kirk and everyone on that ship, we’d play the same story. They — the original crew — they had to go back to their deaths. And Guinan knew Kirk, and Guinan knew Picard, and that would have been an amazing movie.”

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I was so excited when I got to The Pegasus on my watch through, I kept waiting to see the place they so seamlessly wove Riker watching all of enterprise in to the episode!

Then the episode was over...

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

A new digital version of the TNG pinball machine is going on sale in two weeks. It was previously available for a different pinball game, but the license got pulled and given to another game company. This is the first time it will be for sale in about 5 years.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2500340/Pinball_FX__Williams_Pinball_Star_Trek_The_Next_Generation/

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

MuddyFunster posted:

The Offspring loving ruined me. Full bawling. Jesus Christ.

Every time.
:qqsay:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lister posted:

A new digital version of the TNG pinball machine is going on sale in two weeks. It was previously available for a different pinball game, but the license got pulled and given to another game company. This is the first time it will be for sale in about 5 years.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2500340/Pinball_FX__Williams_Pinball_Star_Trek_The_Next_Generation/

I was really, really good at that back in the day.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
:owned: :owned: THANK YOU MR DATA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All hands prepare for MULTIBALL

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

All the more reason to pretend that either These Are The Voyages... isn't canon, or that the Enterprise relaunch novels are.

I never watched These Are the Voyages because I was like "everyone says Terra Prime is a fine finale so I'll just stop with that" but the problem is that it makes the very last scene of Enterprise Trip and T'pol mourning their dead baby.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

I never watched These Are the Voyages because I was like "everyone says Terra Prime is a fine finale so I'll just stop with that" but the problem is that it makes the very last scene of Enterprise Trip and T'pol mourning their dead baby.

Honestly though that scene is a great end cap to Enterprise’s themes. The “maybe someday” lines while Trip and T’Pol hold hands shows that these two species, who were so at odds at the beginning, are now on the road to true cooperation and mutual love. And that can be extrapolated to humanity as a whole now being set on the right path to accept the coming alliances with the Vulcans, Tellarites, and Andorians.

But yeah it’s a downer, I cried at the end when it first aired lmao

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Someone in the writer’s room really wanted Trip and T’Pol to suffer because their last scene together in TATV is them saying they’re going to miss each other after the decommissioning. Ten minutes later, Trip’s lungs are turning into liquid and T’Pol spends the rest of the episode completely shell-shocked from the loss.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Someone in the writer’s room really wanted Trip and T’Pol to suffer because their last scene together in TATV is them saying they’re going to miss each other after the decommissioning. Ten minutes later, Trip’s lungs are turning into liquid and T’Pol spends the rest of the episode completely shell-shocked from the loss.

Hey, gotta make somebody suffer and O'Brien isn't in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trip was kind of the O’Brien of the series