Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Clearly the recruiters must be corrupt if they can't recruit anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

mila kunis posted:

I think it would take Poland and the baltics sending in troops to stabilize Ukraine's frontlines right now

The Baltic nations combined have at best like 500 troops (i.e. LARPers of the 1941-1945 time period) and two helicopters they swap between each other.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Poland has like 400 brand new tanks! *

*on order, delivery date to be advised, no ETA**

**may have forgotten to order ammo

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this is a propaganda statement, it is not a government memorandum

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/jacksonhinklle/status/1689985812299939841?t=5gqgpe3eBRCO7WgxyeXRHA&s=19

Any chance of a fundraiser to make this a thing? Maybe send our boy a request for a tankie village?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fanfic insert posted:

https://twitter.com/jacksonhinklle/status/1689985812299939841?t=5gqgpe3eBRCO7WgxyeXRHA&s=19

Any chance of a fundraiser to make this a thing? Maybe send our boy a request for a tankie village?

After midnight the hot blonde Russian chick turns into a baba yaga babushka, eats the flesh off your bones and uses your spine to craft another magical cottage with chicken legs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
more from "Modern Germany"

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

This isn't entirely true. There are very clearly two classes of Eastern European migrants: highly educated ones, working in areas that require bachelors/master's degrees (architecture, computer touching, various other office jobs, but weirdly mostly architecture & computers. idk). These ones are obviously doing much better economically, and are at least vaguely integrated into society (even though they're looked down on a bit because eastern european + they probably don't speak Dutch). They are probably underpaid and exploited a bit more in the workplace than their Dutch counterparts, though. They are very distinct from the other Eastern European underclass people working in greenhouses/construction etc (and they look down on those guys as undereducated too lol).

Yeah, that's the secret sauce that makes the whole EU work.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

After midnight the hot blonde Russian chick turns into a baba yaga babushka, eats the flesh off your bones and uses your spine to craft another magical cottage with chicken legs.

That's exactly what I'm after

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

DancingShade posted:

drat I gotta wait until midnight? This blows

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DancingShade posted:

So you're saying the village has a lively nightlife?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I feel vindicated for reading all of those books about Germany in 1945 last year because cracking down on the military and bureaucracy for not being able to produce more soldiers is a sure sign of things going really well actually and not the system beginning to eat itself as crises accumulate.

e: the reason for the desertion/draft evasion is that clearly the word is out in Ukrainian civil society about what casualties are like. There will also be more passive collaboration by the civilian population in helping their sons/husbands/brothers hide in the woods or stay out of sight of the press gangs. The criminalization and harsh measures are an attempt those informal networks, but the bottom line is that people would not be paying off recruiters en masse if there was popular enthusiasm for a war the public believes is going well.

ee: Related to the above, the amount of Canadian volunteers in Ukraine is estimated to have shrunk from 500-something to maybe a few dozen. That should have been a canary in the coal mine because the foreigners are exempt from Ukrainian state methods of control - their quitting the war probably indicates Ukrainians would do the same if they could.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 14:40 on Aug 11, 2023

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think there were news a bit earlier about creating a two tier system where people that were deemed unfit for combat would still be drafted to work on building fortifications and running logistics. But this would just have increased the amount of corruption going on because now people would be paying to get into the non combat roles.

The news of firing the recruiters might be a way to pre-empt this but you know its going to still happen. Putting azovites in charge of recruiting means 95% of the people get sent to the front lines and only the top %5 can afford the kickbacks for logistics duty.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The amount of skimming that's happening from the Polish border to the front must be absolutely insane by now.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think there were news a bit earlier about creating a two tier system where people that were deemed unfit for combat would still be drafted to work on building fortifications and running logistics. But this would just have increased the amount of corruption going on because now people would be paying to get into the non combat roles.

The news of firing the recruiters might be a way to pre-empt this but you know its going to still happen. Putting azovites in charge of recruiting means 95% of the people get sent to the front lines and only the top %5 can afford the kickbacks for logistics duty.

the interesting question is how long this can go on for, if the people in charge are prosecuting a war that they are losing and don't want to fight, how long will it be until it ends up in wide-scale mutinies like germany in 1918 (dont ask what happens next)

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

The amount of skimming that's happening from the Polish border to the front must be absolutely insane by now.

if there are any uh “subaltern” minorities that for whatever stupid reason are still working in Ukraine and are military aged males I’d strongly recommend getting out too. if your embassy doesn’t have the clout of say South Africa you’d be SOL

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

You'd think the recruiters would take their jobs more seriously given Russia is going to genocide every Ukrainian if they win.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If you have the right tattoos you get held back to guard Kiev. No tattoos or the wrong ones? Front line. Bye bye.

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

the interesting question is how long this can go on for, if the people in charge are prosecuting a war that they are losing and don't want to fight, how long will it be until it ends up in wide-scale mutinies like germany in 1918 (dont ask what happens next)

Well that all depends on who is actually in charge for a start.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I feel vindicated for reading all of those books about Germany in 1945 last year because cracking down on the military and bureaucracy for not being able to produce more soldiers is a sure sign of things going really well actually and not the system beginning to eat itself as crises accumulate.

e: the reason for the desertion/draft evasion is that clearly the word is out in Ukrainian civil society about what casualties are like. There will also be more passive collaboration by the civilian population in helping their sons/husbands/brothers hide in the woods or stay out of sight of the press gangs. The criminalization and harsh measures are an attempt those informal networks, but the bottom line is that people would not be paying off recruiters en masse if there was popular enthusiasm for a war the public believes is going well.

ee: Related to the above, the amount of Canadian volunteers in Ukraine is estimated to have shrunk from 500-something to maybe a few dozen. That should have been a canary in the coal mine because the foreigners are exempt from Ukrainian state methods of control - their quitting the war probably indicates Ukrainians would do the same if they could.

Which books?

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

DancingShade posted:

just have the village not have internet, it would even worse for them

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Minenfeld! posted:

Which books?

The most relevant one is Violence in Defeat:The Wehrmacht on German Soil, 1944–1945

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Admittedly, if recruiters start nabbing "protected" people I could see a pretty significant backlash developing, and it probably means the numbers of volunteers is dropping pretty rapidly as well.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, if recruiters start nabbing "protected" people I could see a pretty significant backlash developing, and it probably means the numbers of volunteers is dropping pretty rapidly as well.

If you empty out just one village at a time with a comms blackout who says anyone else has to know about it?

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Frosted Flake posted:

Good news for Ukraine: cracking down on the military and bureaucracy for not being able to produce more soldiers is a sure sign of things going really well actually and not the system beginning to eat itself as crises accumulate.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

If you empty out just one village at a time with a comms blackout who says anyone else has to know about it?

It is probably going to be mass roundups around cities, but the issue is going to be the people who are already protected in some capacity due to protected industries or other connections. Also, the harder they squeeze, they are only going to find less and less motivated conscripts.

They had to form labor brigades because a lot of the guys they were nabbing simply refused to fight from the get go but it seems like avoiding the front seems to be the priority.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cynically the idea of a two tier system would also put the civilian population a bit at ease because they'd think "My lame 50 year old husband will help build up defenses instead of being sent to the front line" while he's being lead under armed guard to the front lines for a meat rush

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if you aren’t a nationalist why would you even fight as a Ukrainian

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/GunterFehlinger/status/1689707414268891136?t=fy1L4q1wjyrLOdRN2F2nUQ&s=19

Gooner Fel-magic ftw

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Those are all definitely things that come to my mind when I think Philadelphia.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

those are things that are also true about Philadelphia

efb

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I am the Joel embiid of Sarajevo

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

the philadelphia of europe

does he mean philadelphia, pennsylvania or ancient philadelphia, asia minor

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Sarajevo Fehtanyl Cloud (pictured in background)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what's the Baltimore of Europe

mawarannahr posted:

Sarajevo Fehtanyl Cloud

lmao

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Calais?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

I was thinking Le Havre

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I considered it but I think Calais is more de-industrialized and impoverished? Plus I googled Le Havre and its on the UNESCO world heritage list which just didnt sound very Baltimore to me.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol that England lost a heritage site in 2021
World Heritage Committee deletes Liverpool - Maritime Mercantile City from UNESCO’s World Heritage List

www.unesco.org posted:

The World Heritage Committee, holding its 44th session in Fuzhou and online, decided to delete the property “Liverpool – Maritime Mercantile City” (UK) from the World Heritage List, due to the irreversible loss of attributes conveying the outstanding universal value of the property.

Liverpool – Maritime Mercantile City was inscribed on the World Heritage List in 2004 and on the List of World Heritage in Danger in 2012 following concerns about the proposed development of Liverpool Waters. The project has since gone ahead along with other developments both inside the site and in its buffer zone. The Committee considers that these constructions are detrimental to the site’s authenticity and integrity.

Liverpool’s historic centre and docklands were inscribed for bearing witness to the development of one of the world’s major trading centres in the 18th and 19th centuries. The site also illustrated pioneering developments in modern dock technology, transport systems and port management.

Any deletion from the World Heritage List is a loss to the international community and to the internationally shared values and commitments under the World Heritage Convention.

After the Elbe Valley in Dresden (Germany) and the Arabian Oryx Sanctuary (Oman), Liverpool is the third property to lose its World Heritage status.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Those are all definitely things that come to my mind when I think Philadelphia.
That's funny because when i hear the word Sarajevo i think "reactionaries managing to kill influential people after falling a first attempt to do so and just staying in a nearby street ,eating a sandwich" and "snipers targeting children at Sniper Alley". It's really the most American city in Europe.

gradenko_2000 posted:

West Bruxelles.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 16:02 on Aug 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

literal cultural genocide