Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The aliens in that Slaughterhouse 5 graphic novel were fifth dimensional, they seemed p cool.

According to YouTube videos, to traverse a dimension you have to exist in the dimension above it. There were some cool tricks involving a doughnut or something. I also want to point out again how often I see warp drive is possible articles in popular mechanics.

Our brains make up a lot to explain stuff we don’t understand. Mine tries this often, so I’ve resorted to stabbing it with a qtip. I’ve become more skeptical that this is in fact, the cause of my hearing loss and not so much simply the will of Christ, so it must be working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

temple posted:

Newly released UFO video, from 2014

3 UAPs, a commercial airplane, and the ol' razzle dazzle. Video is longer than footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPwi_BD3zbo

edit: more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiVE5B8ZgGs

even i can't argue against evidence like this

all thats left is to figure out whether they are using warp drives or possibly coming from another dimension
it'd be plain stupid and hubristic to rule them out

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The aliens have figured out how to use Blender. This goes deeper than any of us had ever suspected.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I mean, Flatland was a cool read but that book is from the 19th century before the discovery of relativity and the concept of spacetime. I don't think the ideas described in the book are directly transferable to our world. You never move through just space. You always move through spacetime as a whole. So, like, a 4 dimensional alien can't just stick it's tentacles at two different points in the universe at the same time and wiggle them.

I have no idea how a 4 dimensional spacetime thing would interact with a 3 dimensional spacetime universe like ours, but it would probably be something extremely weird considering it has to observe the light speed limit/causality. Not like in Flatland.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I like that these all powerful interdimensional travellers can pass between realities with ease but still rely on a cute little saucer to zip around in the sky a bit faster than the most recent generation of fighter jets.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
It makes sense that the new hot uaps are just a sphere bc that would allow you to travel through stuff like sea water and atmosphere in a predictable manner.

Also, my theory is that they are from the deep oceans or from the inside of the earth bc nobody knows what's in there. Like there's apparently a whole other ocean in there they recently discovered.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
I've been reading Carl Sagan's "The Demon-Haunted World". Still holds up very, very well to this day. Just sayin'.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A sphere is a terrible shape for a vehicle when there is any form of friction involved at all.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

temple posted:

Newly released UFO video, from 2014

3 UAPs, a commercial airplane, and the ol' razzle dazzle. Video is longer than footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPwi_BD3zbo

edit: more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiVE5B8ZgGs

Hate to say it but these are fake. Unless you can find the originals which I can almost assure you never existed or existed in a different form.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Liquid Chicken posted:

I've been reading Carl Sagan's "The Demon-Haunted World". Still holds up very, very well to this day. Just sayin'.

Please come look at the invisible alien in my garage. He'll gently caress your brains out. You won't be able to see or feel it, but trust that it's happening.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

A sphere is a terrible shape for a vehicle when there is any form of friction involved at all.

That's why you never enter an atmosphere.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

ThinkTank posted:

That's why the dumbasses keep crashing!

Maybe all the aliens that make it to Earth are the Stockton Rush's of their planet.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Liquid Chicken posted:

I'm reading the same. It's frightening how much of his content is true and extremely relevant decades later.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Liquid Chicken posted:

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

No. 6 posted:

I'm reading the same. It's frightening how much of his content is true and extremely relevant decades later.

Just started it too on a goon recommendation. It's kinda terrifying how we can't progress because of idiots.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Rad-daddio posted:

It makes sense that the new hot uaps are just a sphere bc that would allow you to travel through stuff like sea water and atmosphere in a predictable manner.

Also, my theory is that they are from the deep oceans or from the inside of the earth bc nobody knows what's in there. Like there's apparently a whole other ocean in there they recently discovered.

Got any links where I can read more about this extra ocean? That sounds interesting.

Edit: is it Ringwoodite?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

"The sphere is nature's most perfect shape for resisting pressure," I quote to myself from James Cameron's Deep Sea Challenge 3D, as I curl up in a ball on the floor

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

if i was an alien my ufo would be in the shape of a 1997 dodge viper gts. the blue with white stripes paint job. hell yeah.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

if i was an alien my ufo would be in the shape of a 1997 dodge viper gts. the blue with white stripes paint job. hell yeah.

I hope you end up like the aliens in Roswell

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Overdog posted:

So you loving ADMIT that's there's a FOURTH DIMENSION! I loving knew it, I knew it all along.

Times the 5th dimension silly. Physicists found the 4th dimension years ago, but it turned out just to be a super boring dimension so they don't talk about it very much.

Like if you thought the 2nd dimension was a bit dull and overrated, wait till you hear about the 4th. Just nothing interesting going on there.

Honestly other than the 3rd, 5th and 6th I think dimensions are a bit overrated to begin with to be honest.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Maybe all the aliens that make it to Earth are the Stockton Rush's of their planet.

The aliens shared with us their great knowledge of libertarian disruption.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

No. 6 posted:

I hope you end up like the aliens in Roswell

im gonna assume the aliens in roswell are known for doing sick burnouts and donuts in their sports cars and say thank you

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

GABA ghoul posted:

I mean, Flatland was a cool read but that book is from the 19th century before the discovery of relativity and the concept of spacetime. I don't think the ideas described in the book are directly transferable to our world. You never move through just space. You always move through spacetime as a whole. So, like, a 4 dimensional alien can't just stick it's tentacles at two different points in the universe at the same time and wiggle them.

I have no idea how a 4 dimensional spacetime thing would interact with a 3 dimensional spacetime universe like ours, but it would probably be something extremely weird considering it has to observe the light speed limit/causality. Not like in Flatland.

Time is the fourth dimension, we already are constantly experiencing it, but we can only experience one slice of it at a time and it only moves in one direction for us

God damnit e:Fb

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 11, 2023

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Cactus posted:

Got any links where I can read more about this extra ocean? That sounds interesting.

Edit: is it Ringwoodite?

ah that was it yeah.

But still, even if we can't live in it doesn't mean other stuff can't either.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

dr_rat posted:

Times the 5th dimension silly. Physicists found the 4th dimension years ago, but it turned out just to be a super boring dimension so they don't talk about it very much.

Like if you thought the 2nd dimension was a bit dull and overrated, wait till you hear about the 4th. Just nothing interesting going on there.

Honestly other than the 3rd, 5th and 6th I think dimensions are a bit overrated to begin with to be honest.

Hmmm sure, please tell me about the land of make-believe that is inhabited by mystical horned scapegoats, congress. 4D scapegoats that make all your problems go away and line your golden pockets with blood money. Seems like a fantasy almost too good to be true, because it ISN'T.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So we all exist in 4D space of course, as physical beings that exist in time. (there's your 4 D right there).

So if were talking some kind of 5D or String Theory 11 Dimensions, sure, why not?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I had no idea about this. Chimps can memorize and repeat a series of roman numerals in an eyeblink that humans fail with even after decades of attempts. It reminded me a bit of the "vampires" and aliens in Blindsight that had one neurological shortcoming in exchange for massively increased ability in others. loving crazy.
https://twitter.com/BrianRoemmele/status/1213860120058220546?s=20

i think the hemisphere concept where each half of the brain has specific functions is kinda fake, but kinda real. Not super clear cut, just partly real. But jucing up the ability to communicate and cutting down on instant gut reaction impulse had a trade off that seems to have worked. I wonder if there's a way to short circuit this and get the best of both? Is having language related to having the ability to abstractly plan or some poo poo like that?

also i actually like blindsight less as time goes on, dunno why.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I wanted to fix this post up some to make more sense. I'm trying to explain my theory without coming across as crazy . So, I looked at that wiki page for Luna and it lead me to the following thoughts

Matt Gaetz is against military aid given to Ukraine.
Reps are against the Ukraine and the trump circle actively colludes with them to power grab. With these two points in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a way to bait Dems.

Get an AoC to come in and say "what is all this waste? We need to be able to justify this spending!", only for the end result being cutting aid to the Ukraine and veteran benefits or some poo poo.

Luna is a Latin marionette parroting the rep talking points to get the Cuban and Catholic Mex vote. I say this not because she's right wing, there are plenty Hispanic right wing peeps, but her being associated with the Trump won the election grift.

Houle fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 11, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Houle posted:

Realizing that Matt Gaetz is against spending on the Ukraine and the reps are often working with Russia I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a way to bait Dems to go in, cut spending, only for it to be spending on Ukraine and nothing to do with aliens or actual waste.

Luna is also a pro trump pro Russia

I think this is just a useful way to back door poo poo

Aliens also like to back door poo poo so this checks out.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

If i had a CarFO i would be a complete prick about it and get something like a 70s barracuda or some stupid poo poo. Bright yellow. Or a real ominous looking 80s luxury car, the huge fuckin boat ones.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

SniperWoreConverse posted:

If i had a CarFO i would be a complete prick about it and get something like a 70s barracuda or some stupid poo poo. Bright yellow. Or a real ominous looking 80s luxury car, the huge fuckin boat ones.

that would be rad, there's something intrinsically cool about muscle cars and i think even aliens would appreciate that

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I think there's probably a gap in logic from "we don't know everything" to this currently understood law of physics could be wrong all the way to space monsters from beyond the moon are visiting but I'm just an arrogant hew-mon

"Could be" is doing a lot of work here

We know we don't know everything about anything. Our models are very useful for the kinds of things we can do and observe, but we're speculating about things we can't do or observe, so either they're impossible or they must necessarily utilize properties of nature we don't currently comprehend.

There's no way to rule that out or even put odds on it, but there's no reason to believe it without evidence either.

This isn't a god of the gaps argument, it was just a response to dismissive certainty. fwiw, I don't believe we've been visited by life from anywhere and I do think it's silly to believe that with the very poor evidence we have

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

redshirt posted:

So we all exist in 4D space of course, as physical beings that exist in time. (there's your 4 D right there).

So if were talking some kind of 5D or String Theory 11 Dimensions, sure, why not?

The terminology is not really consistent on this. To be exact: we exist in 3 dimensional space. Spacetime is 4 dimensional, but time is not an independent dimension like the space ones are, i.e. your movement through time affects your movement through space and vice versa.

When people talk about higher dimensional stuff they usually mean the addition of further space dimensions, i.e. how it's treated in The Three Body Problem or Flatland. You intersect with our 3 dimensional space from a 4 dimensional space. Time is completely left out.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
A lot of the most promising quantum physics hypotheses now include a bunch of extra special dimensions but the theoretical physicists like to describe them as "compactified"

Which to an avid layperson sounds a lot like "the math says they're there but that sounds weird so basically ignore them"

Feels like exactly the sort of thing where a decade later someone is like ohhhhhh no, it's like this

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
That's where all the trad wives went

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

maybealabia posted:

A lot of the most promising quantum physics hypotheses now include a bunch of extra special dimensions but the theoretical physicists like to describe them as "compactified"

Which to an avid layperson sounds a lot like "the math says they're there but that sounds weird so basically ignore them"

Feels like exactly the sort of thing where a decade later someone is like ohhhhhh no, it's like this

This is an amazing! A post from some string theory fan in the year 2005 somehow managed to just show up today in this forum. I hate to break it to you, but the field has pretty much completely moved on at this point.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Houle posted:

I wanted to fix this post up some to make more sense. I'm trying to explain my theory without coming across as crazy . So, I looked at that wiki page for Luna and it lead me to the following thoughts

Matt Gaetz is against military aid given to Ukraine.
Reps are against the Ukraine and the trump circle actively colludes with them to power grab. With these two points in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a way to bait Dems.

Get an AoC to come in and say "what is all this waste? We need to be able to justify this spending!", only for the end result being cutting aid to the Ukraine and veteran benefits or some poo poo.

Luna is a Latin marionette parroting the rep talking points to get the Cuban and Catholic Mex vote. I say this not because she's right wing, there are plenty Hispanic right wing peeps, but her being associated with the Trump won the election grift.

Lol the idea that the clown division of the GOP, Gaetz/Luna/Burtchett, is capable of 5d chess at this level is less likely than aliens are actually here

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

This is an amazing! A post from some string theory fan in the year 2005 somehow managed to just show up today in this forum. I hate to break it to you, but the field has pretty much completely moved on at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kya_LXa_y1E&t=1s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Yet she still believes in dark matter (i am very smart)