Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

BonoMan posted:

Is this a decent deal? Looking to get back into it as a beginner.

https://slickdeals.net/f/16832789-c...46c748d171b0142

My buddy had this set for a couple years when he started. It's fine.

I have to think there's a ton of basic cavity back sets at a Play It Again Sports, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I know it’s not much for some of you, but first time I’ve cracked 200 yards with my driver. It went sort of straight, ish.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Oodles posted:

I know it’s not much for some of you, but first time I’ve cracked 200 yards with my driver. It went sort of straight, ish.

Average drive distances for handicap golfers is so low compared to what people think.

https://golf.com/instruction/driving/driving-distance-average-golfers-new-report/?amp=1

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1689263009812598785?t=Xs5zy2vFDoB7-vWZR8xrsg&s=19

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

torgeaux posted:

Average drive distances for handicap golfers is so low compared to what people think.

https://golf.com/instruction/driving/driving-distance-average-golfers-new-report/?amp=1
I literally do not believe that male golfers with <6 handicap average 240 yds with their driver. I wonder if there’s a systematic difference in who registers for a handicap in the UK, where they got their data.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I literally do not believe that male golfers with <6 handicap average 240 yds with their driver. I wonder if there’s a systematic difference in who registers for a handicap in the UK, where they got their data.

That data is from 2019 and the R&A moved to the world handicap system in late 2020, that could skew things a bit I suppose.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Most of my drives carry in the 250-270 range but usually a few per round are poor strikes or catch a branch or lose distance due to elevation, wind, rough, etc. so I’m curious what my actual average distance would be with everything included. It is definitely well over 240 because I also have plenty of drives that go over 300 total but I know some good golfers that are probably under 250 average. But yeah I think the overall average for that handicap bracket would have to be higher than 240.

In sad golf news, my Wednesday league partner passed away last week at 62. He had some health issues that he hadn’t told anyone about so it came as a pretty big shock. And then last night a guy in my Tuesday league had a stroke while he was playing. We got him back to the clubhouse and an ambulance responded fairly quickly but I haven’t heard anything yet on how he’s making out. Definitely a pretty somber atmosphere around the course lately.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 9, 2023

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ya think that a lot of elderly folks playing the game might skew those averages quite a bit? I see a lot of older people playing and recording scores after a round, less so the 20 somethings who spend the round trying to hit a 400 yard par 4 in one.

Good job breaking 200 btw, such a good feeling.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Josh Lyman posted:

It's an average, so two shanks and 8 250 yard drives average out to 200 yards. (Assuming no yards for the shanks)

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Just played a random course in NC and sweated my loving life force out. Wtf the south

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Josh Lyman posted:

I can buy it, I’m a 7 handicap and average ~270 according to Arccos but am in my 30s. I definitely outdrive guys in their 50s/60s that are at or better than my handicap.

If I pure one down the fairway I can hit 300-310, but it turns out a lot of my drives are off target and don’t go anywhere near as far. And your bad misses are generally really bad and kill your average.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
All of my drives go 300 yards, just most of them are 225 forward and then 75 yards right

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Jovial Cow posted:

I can buy it, I’m a 7 handicap and average ~270 according to Arccos but am in my 30s. I definitely outdrive guys in their 50s/60s that are at or better than my handicap.

If I pure one down the fairway I can hit 300-310, but it turns out a lot of my drives are off target and don’t go anywhere near as far. And your bad misses are generally really bad and kill your average.

I'm slightly worse than you (9) and average 255 yard carry on my drives. 240 definitely seems low for guys within our range.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
If it's carry distance it makes sense to me, 240 yards is like 220m and I think that's a reasonable average taking into account wind and slope.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1689627718567043073?s=46

One billion, holy poo poo

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Phil is such a piece of poo poo

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Is Phil a spokesperson for one of those drugs where the side-effects include gambling addiction?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wouldn't betting on a sport someone's actively involved in pretty much blacklist him from ever playing that sport again?

Golf is special, a tradition unlike any other.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Josh Lyman posted:

Have to agree with JL here. If this had said 250 instead of 240 or <10 handicaps instead of <6, I'd probably just say, "eh, sounds possible" but I don't believe it as published.

I just did a quick scan of guys in my club that I play with often and are <6 indexes and came up with 50 guys I can 100% give an accurate average drive distance to and there are 2 out of 50 where I'd put them right around 240 avg. driver carry.

Both of those guys are in their 60s and have been playing their whole lives so the rest of their game is good enough to keep them in the low single digits handicap-wise. There are another 4 or 5 guys in that 50 who are also in their 60s, but they still average 260+ off the tee easily.

The other side of that stat are all the guys in that group who fly their driver 30+ yards past my puny 290 every time and there are a dozen of them, so I'd put the average carry in my sample around 275ish, maybe slightly longer?

I know tons of other guys who do average 240 or less, but none of them are <6 handicaps...

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
On the course now (Kennedy in Denver). One guy has a handicap flag, so drives his cart everywhere, including twice to right in front of me, once as I was over the ball.

Three times. He really takes for granted he can drive anywhere.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmfao

Rory McIlroy posted:

At least (Mickelson) can bet on the Ryder Cup this year, because he won’t be a part of it.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

This is so good. LIV bots are out in full force after his reply.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I'm going to the Canadian Women's Open in a couple weeks, but I've never been to any sort of professional golf event. What do I need to know? Any tips for surviving the day?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Don’t make direct eye contact.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

I'm going to the Canadian Women's Open in a couple weeks, but I've never been to any sort of professional golf event. What do I need to know? Any tips for surviving the day?

Don't be That Guy who yells things right after a tee shot.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

MustardFacial posted:

I tend to spend about half my time following groups and the other half posting up at a nice spot that gets a lot of traffic. Walk a bit with a group, get a feel for the course, grab a drink/snack and hang out under some trees in a good spot. I basically just keep that rotation going. The improvement to my experience this year was having a waist pack like I'm a gen z. Being able to have some sunscreen and other poo poo not in my pockets was great.
If you're a fan of a particular player its often really easy to get great views bc the crowds aren't as big as the men's events. And it can be shocking how close you can get to the athletes. Last month I muttered "jesus that was a great par save" after Minjee finished a hole and she burst out laughing, looked over at me and said thanks. I definitely didn't mean for her to hear haha. Brooke Henderson asked my buddy if she could give his son a high five.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Also go watch the players warming up at the range because the pro women have immaculate swings with perfect tempo.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Josh Lyman posted:

According to ArcCos data, it's higher, but not by much. 0-5 caps look like they are around 250. https://twitter.com/LouStagner/status/1469700781947424778/photo/1 That should be total distance, I think, not just carry.

BCRock posted:

The other side of that stat are all the guys in that group who fly their driver 30+ yards past my puny 290 every time and there are a dozen of them, so I'd put the average carry in my sample around 275ish, maybe slightly longer?
Those are basically PGA tour carry numbers, and I don't think I believe them. Trackman has pga tour average at 275, though this is 8 years or so ago and presumably higher now. https://blog.trackmangolf.com/trackman-average-tour-stats/ According to this, PGA tour average carry is ~285 now, from shotlink data. https://golfingfocus.com/how-far-do-pro-golfers-hit-each-club/ Maybe if your group skews very young, I could see it. Kids hit the ball forever these days.

if anyone is consistently carrying it 320, they are significantly longer than anyone on tour. https://www.pgatour.com/stats/detail/02409 (this has average carry at 283)

Mcqueen posted:

My buddy had this set for a couple years when he started. It's fine.

I have to think there's a ton of basic cavity back sets at a Play It Again Sports, or something.
There usually are, but I find that my play it again prices are basically ebay prices, and you would have to go pretty old to put together a complete set for the 500 or 550 the edge set goes for.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Any recommendations for a yardage watch? I really don’t want a brand new one, preferably a decent second hand one off eBay.

Or if any of you goons are selling old ones.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

gvibes posted:

if anyone is consistently carrying it 320, they are significantly longer than anyone on tour. https://www.pgatour.com/stats/detail/02409 (this has average carry at 283)

I think the key here is consistently. I imagine some people can do it, when I'm on my game 320 total distance is achievable. The spinny 240-250 yard fairway finders drag my average yardage down significantly.

Oodles posted:

Any recommendations for a yardage watch? I really don’t want a brand new one, preferably a decent second hand one off eBay.

I just use my apple watch with my scorekeeping app, for some reason the idea of buying a watch dedicate to golf was weird to me.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Oodles posted:

Apple watch is good as mentioned. I actually have a shotscope v3 for shot tracking and like it a lot, but I prefer to use a gps app on smartphone for quickly seeing yardages to front and back of hazards, different parts of the green and so on. Still I love the shotscope v3 and if you can get a used one and the rfid tags it's super fun to see your whole round.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Oodles posted:

The nicer Garmin watches are great. You'll want one that has the option to auto detect shots, check range to targets on a visible map of the hole on the watch, and has the plays like/virtual caddie on it. The Garmin S60/S62 is probably the best middle ground, as it shows you the actual birds eye view of the shape of the course, so you can see the fairway widths and range things like doglegs better on the watch. If that's too far out of budget, then the S40/S42 are most of the way there, they just show a linear, straight track of the hole instead of a true birds eye view.

E: personally I use a Garmin Fenix 6x Sapphire which clones the S60 functionally, and it's awesome.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Oodles posted:

I'll give you my shotscope 3. And the club tags, too.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Oodles posted:

I went Garmin S62 but I think I probably could have just gotten away with the S42. The overhead maps are pretty cool

e: I decided I don't really like the shot auto-detection stuff. I think if I am going to do that for accurate strokes gained info, I will just write it out.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 12, 2023

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Oodles posted:

I have a Garmin S12 that I really like. I only use it for yardages though, and none of the tracking stuff. They're $200 on Amazon but they look pretty readily available on eBay for $50+ less.

It will give you yardages to bunkers/water/hazards that you can scroll through on the display. I think the watch has a bunch of tracking functionality but I've never looked to use it.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I use the Golfshot app on my Apple Watch and a Blue Tees rangefinder. I don't use the auto shot detection feature, I write out which club I used on the paper scorecard and then update it in the app later because I'm an absolute savage

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I shot 77 today, which is ok for me. But what I was really happy about was I started with four bogeys and a double in the first five holes. Some of the damage was really dumb, too. I straight up chunked my wedge on the first hole, then thinned my next wedge approach.

A couple years ago, that would have tilted me, but I kept it together and righted the ship. Had five birdies and probably would have shot a few lower if I wasn’t playing on recently punched greens.

I’m closing in on scratch, and I need to tighten my distribution if I don’t want to be a cash register.

Sadly, I can’t play in our club championship this year, but I’d have zero chance anyways. My club has 10-15 guys who are +2 or better and maybe 5 who are +4 or better. If I shot my three best rounds of the year consecutively, I might finish top 5 lol.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Omerta posted:

I shot 77 today, which is ok for me. But what I was really happy about was I started with four bogeys and a double in the first five holes. Some of the damage was really dumb, too. I straight up chunked my wedge on the first hole, then thinned my next wedge approach.

A couple years ago, that would have tilted me, but I kept it together and righted the ship. Had five birdies and probably would have shot a few lower if I wasn’t playing on recently punched greens.

I’m closing in on scratch, and I need to tighten my distribution if I don’t want to be a cash register.

Sadly, I can’t play in our club championship this year, but I’d have zero chance anyways. My club has 10-15 guys who are +2 or better and maybe 5 who are +4 or better. If I shot my three best rounds of the year consecutively, I might finish top 5 lol.

I guess the important question is: are you averaging your drives at 260 yards, like people in this thread seem to think you should be doing?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Omerta posted:

A couple years ago, that would have tilted me, but I kept it together and righted the ship.

that's huge, good on you

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I guess the important question is: are you averaging your drives at 260 yards, like people in this thread seem to think you should be doing?

My ball speed with a driver is between 168 to 172. I can get to 175 on the range but don’t go that hard in the course. I’m missing on average 3 fairways a round but rarely lose a ball off the tee.

My driving and approach game are the strongest parts of my game. Also very strong between 60-120 yards with my wedges. I’m an ok putter and a bad chipper, though I’m making good progress on improving that area.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Jesus man I can't come anywhere close to that and I'd like to think I'm a decent gofer. That's impressive!