Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Imagining golf cart technicals because Pooty Poot hosed up the lawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Bill Murray's character from Caddyshack would be ideal for this

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

St. Basil’s has seven unapproved colors and far more onion domes than specified in bylaws.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

AlternateNu posted:

I mean.....they exist. But I'm more interested in giving them NMESIS system to gently caress off any naval asset protecting Crimea. :v:

I'm thinking Biden should give them a few launchers and empty out a warehouse full of missiles before the next election.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

AlternateNu posted:

I mean.....they exist. But I'm more interested in giving them NMESIS system to gently caress off any naval asset protecting Crimea. :v:
Like the guy from Resident Evil?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

If I was Putin I would outlaw cigarettes.

If there was one thing that would get 90% of Russians to rise up against him it'd be this.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

If I was Putin I would outlaw cigarettes.

Imagine banning cigs, vodka, and adidasses in Soviet Russia.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Imagine banning cigs, vodka, and adidasses in Soviet Russia.

Thus making peoples stockpiles of them worth a fortune on the black market. The economy is saved!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
When my father noticed something on fire in Russia in the news and pointed it out to me, I told him "remember how we had that talk about how there probably aren't any more child molestors around now than back in the day, we're just actually aware of them and talking about them now? Same thing with Russian buildings exploding"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

Ukraine Thread: Conducting an SMO Against My HOA

Nobody's yelled to stop the derail yet so I guess I'll ask all y'all HOA subjects out there, why not reform things to a more accountable and democratic model to facilitate community solidarity and advance the common good? Killing it entirely doesn't sound viable where members of the community are on the hook for common expenses regardless.

Actually topical: lol, the ruble is about to breach 100:1 again despite monumental efforts to hold it down. Its steady decline in value may be a useful indicator of how long Russia can hold out, though who knows what the actual danger zone might be.

HOAs vary wildly in form and function. I used to live in Columbia, MD, where the HOA basically was the local government and spent more time doing things like maintaining parks than complaining about lawn maintenance. That's not to say it didn't happen, but it was about the same amount as an incorporated municipality would have. Governance was devolved and there was substantial effort put into getting folks to participate in elections.

And then I have friends who live in the stereotypical HOA that is constantly bankrupt and more of an outlet for people to exercise their egos to ruin the lives of their fellow man. It's kind of a mixed bag.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://www.kyivpost.com/post/20415

quote:

The RNBO source added that Ukraine believes there is a “real danger” that information discussed with Israel at the Ramstein meetings “will probably fall into the possession of the aggressor state.”

Israel's never really taken a satisfactory stance on the war or provided any meaningful support to Ukraine, but straight up saying they're Russian allies is a pretty big deal.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Israel's never really taken a satisfactory stance on the war or provided any meaningful support to Ukraine, but straight up saying they're Russian allies is a pretty big deal.

Israel is in the business of selling intel to the highest bidder, and above all else defending themselves. They'd absolutely sell information to the Russians if the Russians offer them a good deal on it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

orange juche posted:

Israel is in the business of selling intel to the highest bidder, and above all else defending themselves. They'd absolutely sell information to the Russians if the Russians offer them a good deal on it.

If the good deal includes cutting off aid to Iran's nuclear weapons program, they'd wrap that information up in a pretty little bow. As much as it pains me to say this, they'd be right to do so.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

If the good deal includes cutting off aid to Iran's nuclear weapons program, they'd wrap that information up in a pretty little bow. As much as it pains me to say this, they'd be right to do so.

They'd be morons to believe it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Yes, Russia acting in good faith. What did GWB say about getting fooled?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

There's a joke that all 1.5 million of Russia's 1 million Jews immigrated to Israel. They make up at least 15% of the population, which is a pretty significant share. It's really not unlikely that there's still a lot of affinity for Russia within that sector, and probably exploitation by Russian intel as well.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Israel also depends on the continued goodwill of Russian air defense to conduct airstrikes against ISIS and Hezbollah in Syria.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

A.o.D. posted:

This is on the cusp of a sarcastically optimistic post.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nessus posted:

Like the guy from Resident Evil?

Its the Marines' land based launcher for the Naval Strike Missile.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

There's a joke that all 1.5 million of Russia's 1 million Jews immigrated to Israel. They make up at least 15% of the population, which is a pretty significant share. It's really not unlikely that there's still a lot of affinity for Russia within that sector, and probably exploitation by Russian intel as well.

The number of Russians who apply for U.S. citizenship or try to skirt export controls by first obtaining Israeli citizenship would make your head spin.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 11, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

A good portion of them are likely from Ukraine or Belarus, and many of the actual Russians are not necessarily on Russia's side.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I’m still confused about how a middle power nation like Iran with significant territory, resources, and scientists isn’t able to produce nuclear weapons when the US was able to do so nearly 80 years ago. Especially considering the fates of nations that abandoned programs like Iraq, Libya, & Ukraine, when it’s not unthinkable trump 2.0 would invade on a whim.

I’m sure it makes sense with how fuel enrichment works but seems like if NK, South Africa, Israel, and Pakistan could manage it that Iran would have them by now.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
There's a lot of active political/espionage/sabotage/direct military intervention aimed at stopping them. Also it's actually very hard to do.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Making a nuclear weapon is a huge and complex exercise and in a lot of ways we were ill served by the initial project being focused on a bomb rather than producing nuclear energy, but that's a story for another time. I believe North Korea basically did literally every step of the process in underground vaults.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It doesn't help if the Mossad keeps assassinating your top scientists

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Nessus posted:

Making a nuclear weapon is a huge and complex exercise and in a lot of ways we were ill served by the initial project being focused on a bomb rather than producing nuclear energy, but that's a story for another time. I believe North Korea basically did literally every step of the process in underground vaults.

Frankly I’d love to hear the story, seems like the right place and time!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
wilos balls started tingling again and he doesn't know why

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

This is on the cusp of a sarcastically optimistic post.

Optimism? There was nothing like that motivating my post.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’m still confused about how a middle power nation like Iran with significant territory, resources, and scientists isn’t able to produce nuclear weapons when the US was able to do so nearly 80 years ago. Especially considering the fates of nations that abandoned programs like Iraq, Libya, & Ukraine, when it’s not unthinkable trump 2.0 would invade on a whim.

I’m sure it makes sense with how fuel enrichment works but seems like if NK, South Africa, Israel, and Pakistan could manage it that Iran would have them by now.

They are. They just don't want to.

There's a reason they've been sitting at "almost there" for forever. They're close enough to get there if a war kicks off, but far enough away to not provoke a war.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 11, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

slothrop posted:

Frankly I’d love to hear the story, seems like the right place and time!
Well it's long and complex but my understanding is that you need to be able to EITHER refine uranium to a much higher degree than is needed for nuclear fuel, OR you need to reprocess 'used' nuclear fuel in order to extract the plutonium. Then you need to pack it together with explosives and poo poo in a way that will produce an actual nuclear explosion, which requires advanced math and, ideally, at least one test so you know you did it right.

The first step requires advanced industry that is hard to conceal or do at home. (Not impossible, as North Korea proved.) The expertise can potentially be hired but is actually narrow enough that it is not impossible to track the people who know how to do it. A nuclear test itself is going to get detected by everybody concerned, because it makes a hellacious bang that even civilian seismographic sensors will detect.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

They have a significant program to that end but has been hampered both by their desire to gain geopolitical legitimacy in other ways like trade and diplomacy, and by constant attacks by groups like the US and Israel.

They still have a significant enrichment program, but are being very careful to try to stick near to their enrichment pledge. The disastrous part was Trump's willingness to toss aside the agreements made with Iran previously to drum up new reasons to intervene.

At this point, it would not be suprising nor even unexcepted for Iran to pursue a nuclear weapon just because of the level of animosity aimed at them. Iran has nearly all the components and materials needed, but its cautious about stepping over the line unless there's no other way.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Almost all of the big wave of Russian emigres to Israel from the 1990s have fully assimilated - there used to be political parties for Russians for example but only one is left (Yisrael Beitenu) and that's more of a personality platform for its leader than a ethnic-Russian party.

Israel isn't particularly anti-Russian, more so that they are very, very Trump-y, for lack of a better word. The overton window of Israeli politics has shifted pretty hard to the right and what's left of the center-left is busy protesting the government. Ukraine isn't really on anyone's radar (except, ironically, the thousands of ultra-Orthodox who show up at a rabbi's gravesite in Ukraine every year).

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

US intelligence services literally created one of the most innovative and successful computer worms ever written, which managed to penetrate a strictly controlled air gap at their nuclear research facilities. This whole thing was made to implant code that would sabotage the function of centrifuges they were using to disrupt their production of enriched uranium, by making them run so erratically that they would blow themselves up. They distributed things like USB drives at scientific conferences that Iranian scientists attended, amongst other methods, eventually leading to the destruction of a significant amount of their centrifuges.

That's just one vector of attack that's been levied against Iranian nuclear weapon development. There's been many more, and probably most are so secret that we haven't even heard of them. They were late to the game, didn't have the support those other nations had, and had significantly more opposition directed at them. It's not that surprising they've been unsuccessful to me

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Yeah, Iran’s lack of nukes is a policy decision. They also have a policy not to develop missiles over a set range.

It’s not like they keep trying to build an actual nuke and are just bad at physics.

Edit:

Here is the ODNI unclassified document on missile and nuclear development. Iran is pursuing a tech to be able to "sprint" to a nuclear weapon or long-range missiles if they made the policy decision to do so. But for now, they are electing not to develop these capabilities.
https://www.dni.gov/files/ODNI/documents/assessments/Iran-Nuclear-Weapons-Capability-and-Terrorism-Monitoring-Act-of-2022.pdf

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 11, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mederlock posted:

US intelligence services literally created one of the most innovative and successful computer worms ever written, which managed to penetrate a strictly controlled air gap at their nuclear research facilities. This whole thing was made to implant code that would sabotage the function of centrifuges they were using to disrupt their production of enriched uranium, by making them run so erratically that they would blow themselves up. They distributed things like USB drives at scientific conferences that Iranian scientists attended, amongst other methods, eventually leading to the destruction of a significant amount of their centrifuges.

That's just one vector of attack that's been levied against Iranian nuclear weapon development. There's been many more, and probably most are so secret that we haven't even heard of them. They were late to the game, didn't have the support those other nations had, and had significantly more opposition directed at them. It's not that surprising they've been unsuccessful to me

Worth noting despite the level of effort, even the best estimates are that it only slowed their enrichment process by 6-8 months.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Yeah. It should also be noted that the JCPOA Iran nuclear deal probably did more to set them back (willingly, at that) on their development more than any foreign intrigue ever did. And it's a god damned shame the orange man went and tore it up for political points.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

My loose understanding is that Iran is a large enough country that a US/allies invasion would not have a high chance of actually toppling the government. The nuclear deterrent would be a way to make the cost going high enough that even a truly desperate American president would not take the gamble.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The real thorny issue with Iran is that negotiating to silo the nuclear proliferation issue and the regional destabilisation issue was a 'best of a bad situation' solution rather than one anyone actually liked.

Anyway on the worlds worst army to be in:

https://twitter.com/intermarium24/status/1689732601026609152

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ukraine faces a spooge-water gap, can Goons help?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Even in a strictly conventional war, you probably couldn't invade Iran without it being a bloodbath unlike anything seen by the US for generations. The terrain is inimical to assault over land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Even in a strictly conventional war, you probably couldn't invade Iran without it being a bloodbath unlike anything seen by the US for generations. The terrain is inimical to assault over land.
The only possible scenario that would make any sense to me would be to occupy their coastal ports in order to protect oil shipments or some similar horseradish, in which case you're attacking a narrow strip of land which will require resupply by air or ship, and which I think is also one of the few fortunate places (so far!) to get a heat index that would poach an egg.