Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hiring a guy named Glenny Balls and then wondering why he doesn't show up for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

DC Murderverse posted:

Can’t imagine why anyone wouldn’t want to tie their business success to this:

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1689671579314135054?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

Was trying to figure out why Penn paid half a billion less than a year ago only to dump it for a buck, and I still don't get it, but lol at this quote:

quote:

According to an Aug. 8 video announcement from Portnoy, “we underestimated just how tough it is for myself and Barstool to operate in a regulated world.”

“We got denied [gambling] licenses because of me,” Portnoy said. “So the regulated industry [is] probably not the best place for Barstool Sports and the type of content we make.”

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

kalensc posted:

Was trying to figure out why Penn paid half a billion less than a year ago only to dump it for a buck, and I still don't get it, but lol at this quote:

Proof of concept, why keep Barstool around when ESPN is knocking?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Speaking of gambling, ESPN is promoting gambling as a big fun element of Slamball to the point that their sideline reporter spends part of the broadcast spewing lines and odds.

Here I was thinking we were already at peak obnoxiousness with sports betting promotion. Imagine blowing your kid's college fund because the Fury were +595, man!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

kalensc posted:

From what I heard, essentially the Barstool brand wasn’t doing much for people in terms of bringing gambling business for Penn, so they dumped the brand in favor of ESPN’s instead

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/andrewmarchand/status/1690013757911486464?s=46

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1690040378232303617

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

That's....surprisingly reasonable and progressive to be coming from the NFL.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yeah this got me to look at what I had and shake some things up. Cancelled sling (which I mostly had for redzone and willow) and hulu (which I just wasn't watching at all), picked up standalone willow, espn+, and nfl+, and saving about $680 a year, and I get more sports than I had before (which was pretty much all I was paying for anyway). Even if the prices of all of those double in a year I'm still spending less.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Xerol posted:

Yeah this got me to look at what I had and shake some things up. Cancelled sling (which I mostly had for redzone and willow) and hulu (which I just wasn't watching at all), picked up standalone willow, espn+, and nfl+, and saving about $680 a year, and I get more sports than I had before (which was pretty much all I was paying for anyway). Even if the prices of all of those double in a year I'm still spending less.

Doesn't this setup prohibit you from getting the main ESPN networks?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Dango Bango posted:

Doesn't this setup prohibit you from getting the main ESPN networks?

Yeah, as far as I know all the big ticket games (or really anything on their linear networks) isn't available on ESPN+ with maybe some exceptions

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I never had them to begin with. ESPN+ has all the cricket that willow doesn't which was the main reason I picked it up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/kevinnbrown/status/1690069163484807170

y'ever wanted to see someone tweet at gunpoint? well now you have!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/kevinnbrown/status/1690069163484807170

Whats the story about that?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

Whats the story about that?

Kevin is the Baltimore Orioles play-by-play voice and was basically suspended out of nowhere for like 2 weeks for literally saying how the team had improved against Tampa Bay compared to the previous year because the birds' ownership is hilariously thin-skinned even by professional team owner standards

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

DJExile posted:

should have done this as a live video so we could see him Morse-blink T-O-R-T-U-R-E

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Wait the owners were mad that he suggested the Orioles were maybe not the platonic ideal of winning for a period of time in the past?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah, and it wasn't like he was out there shooting from the hip, the segment was produced by the company the Orioles partner with, he just ended up being the fall guy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I just watched the clip. That is wild to get disciplined for that.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
As a Jays fan the idea that "our team gets beaten at the Trop" is a discipline -worthy offense is wild.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The kind of wild extra bit about the story is that half the other team announcers around the league got upset enough about it to go on “gently caress the Orioles” rants on air. Which I very much why they’re now trying to quiet the conversation since they had somehow gone from the underdog story of the year to villains over the stupidest poo poo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

John Angelos in particular sounds like a real terror to journalists, period.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

John Angelos in particular sounds like a real terror to journalists, period.

A 56 year old who’s only ever worked in and now owns Daddy’s company and who after being absolute unwatchable dogshit for most of the last 6 years is now trying to shake down Baltimore for 600 million. He seems like a John Fisher type guy who can gently caress up the “give billionaires public money for sports” scheme by being so odious

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
So basically the Orioles are the Succession sequel in which Kendall Roy wins

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

this rules. i’m like the exact target customer for this.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

STAC Goat posted:

The kind of wild extra bit about the story is that half the other team announcers around the league got upset enough about it to go on “gently caress the Orioles” rants on air. Which I very much why they’re now trying to quiet the conversation since they had somehow gone from the underdog story of the year to villains over the stupidest poo poo.

The way I found out about it is that Keven Kelly was making fun of the Orioles during the G1 of NJPW, that poo poo has gone everywhere.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah people accepted long ago that every team’s broadcast was basically state-run media but this was both particularly egregious and dumb as hell even by those standards.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Rick posted:

The way I found out about it is that Kevin Kelly was making fun of the Orioles during the G1 of NJPW, that poo poo has gone everywhere.

Of course it reached Japan. Wasn't Angelos fighting Okada in the semis?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

happy tenth anniversary to the possible reason this thread exists

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1691073553636999168

also in the midst of espn announcing their nba commentators for this year

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1691108692673060864

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1691098571796606977

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 14, 2023

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Honestly those two teams look really good for the season

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yeah I legitimately like JJ as an analyst.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Has JJ done in game stuff before? I like him in studio, I'm a little skeptical how he'll handle the flow of a game though. Jefferson is alright, probably approaching his shelf-life though. Still, not a bad team for ESPN.

Highly appreciate canning JVG and Marc Jackson but keeping Hubie Brown.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
JJ's done in game stuff and he's pretty solid at it. My one complaint is that JJ and RJ on color at the same time is pretty samey since they both fill that sort of Enlightened Former Player niche, but I could also see them developing some fun chemistry as a full-time team

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hubie Brown is like 90 years old. Just retire my dude

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wait til he has a Mitch McConnell freeze

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm pretty sure he was 90 years old when he coached the grizzlies

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1691451062228787202

oh hell yeah

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Isn’t she also a Chud

https://twitter.com/nfl_dovkleiman/status/1691441107153149953?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

She sued ESPN for violating her Free Speech because she claimed that Disney and ESPN were dangerously overstepping their ability to mandate someone be vaccinated. She has right wing sports influencer gig #7 in her future.